hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porteous

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, after the game tonight I think it’s pretty clear he isn’t ready for regular first team football. Completely convinced he will come good and be a big player for us but I think a season on loan will be far more beneficial for him

Aware this is an unpopular opinion. Thoughts?
    No player should be judged on that game , it was an experimental line up a training match , giving some players a bit of extra fitness .
    Ryan gives us cover across the back 4 so is a good squad player at the moment

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Thought he looked the best defender with the ball at his feet by a country mile. Brought it out from the back well enough but was caught out once or twice as you'd expect in the circumstances.
    Honestly.... Can't remember him ever having a poor game. He's been pretty much outstanding every time he's been called upon. To the extent that he actually held us together and led us to a victory at Ibrox early on last season. He's ready, there shouldn't even be a question mark over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Poor Ryan got shafted tonight by the poor performances of his fellow defenders, mainly Ambrose and Whittaker.
    He was equally as bad and just because he’s young it doesn’t excuse him. Letting the ball bounce over his head from a goal kick to let the boy in for the fourth was horrendous.

As long as he learns from it, it’s fine. Porteous’s biggest problem is going to be getting in the team. And the only way he is going to develop is by playing. This is a big season for him.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    First competitive game of pre-season, still recovering from an injury playing in a back three with Ambrose in full on brain fart mode and Whittaker who has been pretty mince in his natural position never mind as a centre half..........you could have put Paolo Maldini in that situation and he wouldn’t have been able to have a good game.

Very unfair to single Ryan out on that basis, also not worth wetting the bed about us conceding 4 goals given these circumstances and the glorified pre-season friendly the match had become thanks to our result at home.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He’s not ready to play at European level. Been injured, missed training, only played 90 mins at Wick on Sunday, and thrown in tonight
    Give the lad a chance
    Well said Billy

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel 1875 View Post
    Well, after the game tonight I think it’s pretty clear he isn’t ready for regular first team football. Completely convinced he will come good and be a big player for us but I think a season on loan will be far more beneficial for him

Aware this is an unpopular opinion. Thoughts?
    I dont believe this place, he's JUST back from injury, playing his first game for the 1st team in a makeshift defence and he's not good enough.

You could have picked any one of 10 players last night and said they were not good enough.

FFS this place is mental.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I dont believe this place, he's JUST back from injury, playing his first game for the 1st team in a makeshift defence and he's not good enough.

You could have picked any one of 10 players last night and said they were not good enough.

Well said.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Porteous is a great player but the entire team played poor last night forget about it and get ready for some Mythos and gyros..and don't forget the shades! We're on our way!

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Last night was just crazy some of the comments being thrown about.

Last night was exactly the kind of thing he needed.

Sometimes if players have it too easy, they don't know how to react when it gets tough.

He didn't have a brilliant game, but it didn't cost us. He can look back on his mistake with the bouncing ball and learn from it.

That was a useful 90 minutes of competitive action as he recovers from injury and gets himself match fit.

More than anything Porteous needs to play games. He needs experience, and last night he got valuable experience of playing in a competitive European tie on a dodgy pitch in poor weather conditions when all the players around him were having a nightmare.

If he's as good as we all think he is, he'll be stronger for that experience.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Last night was exactly the kind of thing he needed.

Sometimes if players have it too easy, they don't know how to react when it gets tough.

He didn't have a brilliant game, but it didn't cost us. He can look back on his mistake with the bouncing ball and learn from it.

That was a useful 90 minutes of competitive action as he recovers from injury and gets himself match fit.

More than anything Porteous needs to play games. He needs experience, and last night he got valuable experience of playing in a competitive European tie on a dodgy pitch in poor weather conditions when all the players around him were having a nightmare.

If he's as good as we all think he is, he'll be stronger for that experience.
    First thing I was told playing at the back was never let the ball bounce and look at me now 60 years old sitting here criticising better players than I ever was on HIBS.net. Brilliant eh! I agree 100 % gie the laddie a break and let us all move on.