hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greyfriars Market and Allans at Tollcross were my favourites in the mid 70's
    I'd forgotten all about Allan's! I was forever in there. My favourite was Avalanche, the one on lady law son Street and one opposite the Pear Tree as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Captain Trips's Avatar
    Here in Glasgow Sound Track owned by Tom Russell.
    If I choose to revert back to Carlsberg it will have to be The Carlsberg

First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    My mate's uncle Barclay owned Goldrush records in Perth.

As good an auld record shop as you'll get anywhere.

Brilliant wee shop. Got most of my Skids collection there in the 70's.

First Team Breakthrough
    Words & Music on Easter Road was the first record shop I remember going into. I think that's what it was called. I used to raid my wee Post Office account then head there to buy punk singles.
    The Ards, Woolies and Bandparts 50p boxes were always good for picking up singles by the likes of the Bunnymen, Smiths and New Order.

Bandparts, top of Leith walk. Bought my first single there. It was close to the Deep sea chippy as well so a bonus. My favourite chippy though was an Italian run place in Balfour street but can't remember the name

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Bandparts, top of Leith walk. Bought my first single there. It was close to the Deep sea chippy as well so a bonus. My favourite chippy though was an Italian run place in Balfour street but can't remember the name
    Bandparts was a Mecca for me and my mates in the 60's. Records, sheet music, guitar strings, etc.
    A plooky youth's toy shop.

I remember a wee shop at Surgeons Hall that stocked old 45s, I don't think it was even a record shop as such but you could go in and ask for old 60s and 70s singles and there was a fair chance he would have what you were after.

Sometimes on a Saturday morning I’ll often take a stoat around the second hand/charity shops and see what records there, most of the time there’s nothing worth writing home about. A couple of times though I’ve found a wee gem or two and stuck it on the eBay at a later date

Sweet Inspiration in Morrison Street (next to ABC cinema) were great at ordering in hard to find records and imports.

Bruce’s also had a shop in Shandwick Place iirc. They had branches in other towns as well - Falkirk and Stirling?

Jim McMenemy was the guy that owned and ran ARDS in GJS.A great source for 80s 12” records - if you were into that type of music.

Woolworths has been mentioned a few times. Think every store sold lpsand Singles. They were also one of the few chosen outlets that counted towards the BBC top 40 Singles chart back in the 60s/70s/80s.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I used to love going into the Record Exchange on Clerk Street, great selection of vinyl

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Phoenix on the High Street.

Didn't Wattie from The Exploited work there?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I used to get Wattie mixed up with big John Duncan who was with Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. Both big scary guys
    Big John from the Exploited, Mackenzies & The Gin Goblins worked in one on Fredrick St, sure it was Listen records.

I probably first cut my teeth at Bandparts, still mind the booths you could have a we listen. Phoenix and the Other record shops were probably my 2 main outlets. Remember The Other record shop starting of in St Mary street before moving to the High St and i'm sure it had a we stint at the East end of Princes St.

There was a cracking second had record store in a market where McSorleys, (Malones) is now Oddfellow Hall or something
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money