hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Auld Record Shops

What was everyone’s favourite record shop back in the olden days?

Ards on Junction Street used to be my go to shop for the latest LPs. There was always and old English sheep dog(if memory serves me right) called Snooker sitting outside.I also used to be fond of the Golden Oldies shop at Haymarket too and got a few rare 45s and a few imports from there

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Blog Entries
    Loved vinyl,. still do...browsing record stores was a wonderful past time - infact spent some time doing that last Friday in Glasgow's west end..

Edinburgh for me..

Bandparts - Antigua Street

Other Record Shop - High Street then princes street

HMV - st james centre (bought my first 45 there)

Virgin Records..

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I found it at Bruce's

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rae Macs, George St. You could sit in a booth with pals, close the door and freak out to the sound of the Fugs.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Golden period 70s and 80s Listen, GI, The Other Record Shop, Ripping Along with those mentioned. There was one on Hamilton Place next to the chippy where I found a trove of Postcard Records. 2 on Porty High St opened up within weeks of each other. Colin Thompson'Sounds Super and Dave Allan's Allans

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

They’ve got to learn quickly. Inconsistency won’t be tolerated. It’s not acceptable for a club of this standard..” - Neil Lennon 9 June 2016

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    On my lunch time in the late 70’s, used to go to a store in Lady Lawson st. Guy who owned used to have bootleg Springsteen tapes

Wow this brings back memories. Bought The Beatles first album from Ards in Great junction Street. The original Bandparts - pre St James Centre - listening in the booths to Buddy Holly, Later Bruce's in Rose Street with the red poly bags holding the latest prog rock release.

Eat your heart out those who only know downloads 😀

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    The other record shop on the high st was brilliant. Wasnt the same when they moved to Princes St
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On my lunch time in the late 70’s, used to go to a store in Lady Lawson st. Guy who owned used to have bootleg Springsteen tapes
    Was that one called The Last Record Shop?
    I do remember going one there, just round the corner from the victual dealers!

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    The other record shop on the high st was brilliant. Wasnt the same when they moved to Princes St
    I was in there nearly every day, mainly for the Space Invaders though!

Bruce's on the High Street/top of Cockburn Street. Bought my first single there - No More Heroes.

Ezy Ryder in Forrest Road, everything was £1.99 or £2.99 from what I remember and the guys working all looked well stoned.

Then just down the hill in Candlemaker Row was Backbeat, good for unearthing punk/indie rarities.

I still sell vinyl, but mainly online now. Would love to have that choice of record shops now!

Downstairs in John Menzies on Princes St. Spent a lot of time there as a teen. I worked in the record dept (if thats what you could call it) in Woolies in Corstorphine. Price stickers on the album covers used to drive me nuts. Spent a bit of time in a wee record shop on the Royal Mile a few weeks ago, promised myself a record player when the funds allow. Attic full of old records that need looked at.

Phoenix on the High Street.

Didn't Wattie from The Exploited work there?

Hell on Thistle Street.

Virgin on Thistle Street. My sister wouldn't go in there cos it was full of weirdos.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Phoenix on the High Street.

Didn't Wattie from The Exploited work there?

Hell on Thistle Street.

Virgin on Thistle Street. My sister wouldn't go in there cos it was full of weirdos.

Phoenix was usually manned by a hippie who gave you a funny wee look if you bought anything other than prog rock. I'm sure Wattie worked there as well though, it's all a bit hazy

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Spent countless hours in HMVs on Princes St, St James and Ocean Terminal (was on the way home from work so I’d drop in...one hour later, still there!). Also Virgin on Princes St. Sometimes Fopp when it was on Cockburn St.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    Was that one called The Last Record Shop?
    I do remember going one there, just round the corner from the victual dealers!
    Think thats what it was called

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Phoenix was usually manned by a hippie who gave you a funny wee look if you bought anything other than prog rock. I'm sure Wattie worked there as well though, it's all a bit hazy
    I used to get Wattie mixed up with big John Duncan who was with Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. Both big scary guys

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I had a blast going through some old record stores when I was over in San Francisco earlier this year.

Amoeba Records is easily one of the most impressive stores I've ever visited. Thousands of vinyls, CDs, cassettes etc across all genres.

There's a few decent ones around Glasgow just now, but they can be quite hit or miss for what I listen to.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Downstairs in John Menzies on Princes St. Spent a lot of time there as a teen. I worked in the record dept (if thats what you could call it) in Woolies in Corstorphine. Price stickers on the album covers used to drive me nuts. Spent a bit of time in a wee record shop on the Royal Mile a few weeks ago, promised myself a record player when the funds allow. Attic full of old records that need looked at.
    My recollection was that John Menzies downstairs was the toy dept (they had a cracking scalextric set-up) and records were upstairs? I used to go there a lot, and also bought a fair amount from Corstorphine Woolies as I worked just along the road so went there most lunchtimes.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    My recollection was that John Menzies downstairs was the toy dept (they had a cracking scalextric set-up) and records were upstairs? I used to go there a lot, and also bought a fair amount from Corstorphine Woolies as I worked just along the road so went there most lunchtimes.
    IIRC the records were moved downstairs in the mid 80s.

I think it was through the back first then moved downstairs early/mid 80s?

I was in woolies early 80s as a saturday girl. Between the record dept and the garden centre usually.

Remember queuing up around then to see Mary Stavin, think she was singing a book. That’s why I went😎

Vinyl Villains on Elm St? Also I remember going upstairs to somewhere near there that was massive and full of records. Wish I still had my vinyl looking at the prices now! Cambridge has some quality charity shops with some bargains.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    There was a record shop in Morningside Road in the 80's, below the flats they built just up from what is now Waitrose. I bought Deacon Blue Real Gone Kid from there. Can't remember the name of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Vinyl Villains on Elm St? Also I remember going upstairs to somewhere near there that was massive and full of records. Wish I still had my vinyl looking at the prices now! Cambridge has some quality charity shops with some bargains.
    Vinyl Villains is still there No?

Don't know mate, been away from Edinburgh since 1992! Visit occasionally but long overdue a longer visit.

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar

It was still there in June 2017 I can verify

@hibs.net private member Hamish's Avatar
    Greyfriars Market and Allans at Tollcross were my favourites in the mid 70's

Vinyl Villians is still there.

That was probably my main source of records through my teens, used to go to bandparts as well but that was expensive.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I used to go to sounds on princes street and stepping out on south bridge. That was back in 90s, fond memories especially of sounds.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

My mate's uncle Barclay owned Goldrush records in Perth.

As good an auld record shop as you'll get anywhere.