hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Celtic blame everyone else

Celtic captain Scott Brown blames the rest of Scottish football for Celtics coefficient.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44866243

No mention of Celtic taking the best players of the other teams though, or the values they put on them.

If they were to get anywhere close to the rumoured £30m for Tierney, I guess that makes him more than 15 times better than Mcginn in Celtics eyes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Not for the first time the perceived lack of competition is the problem with Scottish football.

The real problem is of Celtics own making - namely offering sub-standard transfer fees for players in the Scottish leagues and letting them rot in their reserves or punting them out on loan - Scott Allan more recently - and Derek Riordan to name two Hibs ones. In fact I blame Celtic for Riordan not hitting the heights he should have in both club and national football.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Was there a lack of competition when we beat them last season. Celtc, always cheated, never defeated 🙄
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

I think he is correct. Lots of embarrassing results in the early rounds of Europe in the last decade or so. We need to be winning more qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for the first time the perceived lack of competition is the problem with Scottish football.

The real problem is of Celtics own making - namely offering sub-standard transfer fees for players in the Scottish leagues and letting them rot in their reserves or punting them out on loan - Scott Allan more recently - and Derek Riordan to name two Hibs ones. In fact I blame Celtic for Riordan not hitting the heights he should have in both club and national football.
    The biggest problem isn't Celtic offering substandard fees, it's the other clubs accepting them.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Did you read any of what he said?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The biggest problem isn't Celtic offering substandard fees, it's the other clubs accepting them.
    Spot on.

Yup. Celtc aren’t a charity so it’s up to the other clubs to look after themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Did you read any of what he said?
    Yes I did. Can understand where the wires are being crossed.

What I meant was that the perception is that our league isn't good or competitive enough for us to compete in Europe.

Whatever the nuances are, it's Celtic blaming the rest of the league rather than addressing their own failings.

Very true actually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Spot on.
    You’ve got to remember that some clubs are forced into accepting substandard fees because of their perilous financial situation. We are fortunate that, if we believe LD, we are not in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I think he is correct. Lots of embarrassing results in the early rounds of Europe in the last decade or so. We need to be winning more qualifiers
    Yeah, but there's a reason he's correct. Celtic themselves would help the situation by.....

...Sharing the TV money more fairly

...Paying the proper valuation for players they buy from other Scottish clubs

...Don't buy players from other Scottish clubs if they're not going to play them

I speak as someone with a lot of time and respect for Scott Brown. He was a joy to watch in our golden generation, and as a kid I kicked up a fuss to get my dad to pay the extra money to get his name on the back of my shirt. He is well out of line here though, and playing up to the Celtic masses as their excuse whenever they get pumped in Europe.

Celtic are the establishment club of Scotland - Rangers were also before they died.

This is pretty funny, given the past few weeks, Celtic have been sending us lowball offers, trying to ensure that Hibs (and St Mirren) get as little as possible for our best player, with the threat of ‘taking him’ for free next year, if we don’t agree to one of their pathetic offers.

Ironically they have unsettled McGinn to the point we couldn’t actually play him during our Europa League qualifier last week.

The list of players they/Old Rangers unsettled, and taken from us is ridiculous, and has happened for as long as I can remember. I’ll never forget Celtic swooping in, and grabbing Agathe on a free, whilst he was in negotiations.
    Broony himself, along with Thomson simultaneously were pretty much tapped up by the Old Firm, and subsequently caused problems till we sold them. Same with many others.

I get the money, Champions League etc, but the way they try and keep their stranglehold on the league is horrific.

When they come knocking, most players can’t resist, and I do get that, but Broony knows himself from his own experience that it’s a bit rich, when they do all they can to keep other teams weak on the cheap, and in our case, in the midst of our European qualifiers.

Their finances compared to everyone else’s means it’s easy to have such a model, and likes of the Record are more than happy to help incidentally. They are entitled to have such a business model, but they can’t complain if we don’t have a settled squad, or finances to replace a player they’ve bought on the cheap to advance in Europe.

After all of this I do love the patter of whenever they get pumped by a Bayern, Barca or lesser teams, they roll out the ‘we can’t compete with their finances.’ Aye, welcome to our world, ya pricks!

But aye, nae bother, Broony, we’ll start pulling our weight 😐

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Yup. Celtc aren’t a charity so it’s up to the other clubs to look after themselves.
    No they aren't a charity, but they do not help the image of the league internationally by taking advantage being complicit in devaluing Scottish players.

The more pressing point I made is I think is that they buy players and don't play them.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    They throttle every last penny out of every deal from tv to transfers, they want all the prize money and want to pay sod all in transfers.

They want to be the strongest, by making the ret weaker, and then have the cheek to want more competition.

They know what they are doing, but spout this sheite to their brain dead fans who then believe every word.

The games ****ed, but dont expect the media to question any of this, succulent meat and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Agreed, but to be doing that our clubs need to get their act together sooner and prepare properly for the European competitions. This 'europe is a bonus, doesn't matter if we get knocked out' attitude isn't helping us at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    It is - just like it's up to Celtic to look after themselves in Europe

Blog Entries
    Scott Brown is either blinkered or stupid or both.

Left by mutual consent!
    Almost makes me want Sevco to pip them this year.

Almost. I said almost.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post

Almost. I said almost.
    We’ve got more chance than those zombie ****s!

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Scott Brown is either blinkered or stupid or both.
    Or very smart and playing to the crowd

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Scott Brown should stick to his "dunno" interviews.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post

Almost. I said almost.
    To be fair, there's only one quote in that article that really rings true with the thread title "Until everyone else starts helping us out..."

Nothing there to improve or worsen my opinion on his horrible, pathetic, sc**my club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Meh.

He's not far off.

Rangers embarrassed in Luxembourg, Hibs embarrassed by Malmö, Hearts continually thumped along with Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen

We are truly awful. Good to at least see Hibs and Rangers winning a tie and hopefully we all win again in the next round which will be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Meh.

He's not far off.

Rangers embarrassed in Luxembourg, Hibs embarrassed by Malmö, Hearts continually thumped along with Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen

We are truly awful. Good to at least see Hibs and Rangers winning a tie and hopefully we all win again in the next round which will be tough.
    Not, and never, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Not, and never, for me.
    Yip. It may be petty, but I can’t envisage any circumstances which would make me want “Rangers” to win.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees3_Sevco2 View Post
    Yip. It may be petty, but I can’t envisage any circumstances which would make me want “Rangers” to win.
    Every time they play Hearts definitely. Can’t understand any Hibs fan that would want a Hearts win.

I also don’t get why so many on here are regularly quick to try and defend Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Yeah, but there's a reason he's correct. Celtic themselves would help the situation by.....

...Sharing the TV money more fairly

...Paying the proper valuation for players they buy from other Scottish clubs

...Don't buy players from other Scottish clubs if they're not going to play them
    Mikey, Celtic are quite entitled to do what they are doing buying players. Every club does it just to a lesser extent than the bigger clubs.

We had problems replacing players for years but seem to have got our act together eventually.

Some of the teams Scottish clubs have lost to have been embarrassing. That’s nothing to do with Celtic buying the best players. Poor preparation and recruitment has been the real cause

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Not, and never, for me.
    Nor me. The sooner the rangers exit Europe and suffer the financial impact of that the better.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Agreed, but to be doing that our clubs need to get their act together sooner and prepare properly for the European competitions. This 'europe is a bonus, doesn't matter if we get knocked out' attitude isn't helping us at all.
    It’s a viscous circle. We want to improve our (all Scottish teams) record as it benefits us all, but preparation has been poor in previous years