hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Was he not the template for The Tache?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Brilliant ball control and could go past a player with ease but was slower than a week in the tin pale .
    Heard Bell once had a race with George Mcluskey and they have still no finished it :)
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don’t know what stage you’re at re the publishing process but it may well be worth your while getting in touch with Mark Stanton at Jenny Brown Associates (Lit Agents). Jenny dealt with my stuff herself but Stan has interests in sports books. They really know their stuff and are decent people who take a human approach with their clients.
    Good luck.

https://jerichowriters.com/agentmatc.../mark-stanton/
    That is much appreciated. I will contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Imagine nowadays, a Scottish player in a team winning leagues and cups and getting to the business end in European Tournaments, but not getting a sniff for a place in the national team. The competition for that place in the team must have been impressive.
    Gordon Strachan touted Dougie for Scotland as well and couldn't understand why he wasn't capped. Jock Stein was a fan of Dougie's and picked him for the U21s in this lineup against Yugoslavia - 2-1 to Scotland:

Bryan Gunn
    Stevie Nicol
    Maurice Malpas
    Roy Aitken
    Richard Gough
    Neale Cooper
    Paul McStay
    Neil Simpson
    Brian McClair
    Dougie Bell
    Mo Johnston

A strong Aberdeen presence in this team. He also picked him again as one of his overage players when Dougie was 24.

This extract from the Hibs section of the book struck a chord with me:

"Speaking to Hibs fans at various events at the time, their overall feeling was that Alec’s tactics were a bit too negative. The way I saw it is that he was only negative in the big games but not the ordinary league games. If we played Dunfermline for example and they were bottom half he wanted me to run at them and get the crowd excited. That is what I had been doing for years, and since I had been at the club, and I loved it. Against the bigger and better teams he was now was telling me that I had to sit in. That might have made good tactical sense but I really disliked having to do it.

In one game he asked me to man-mark a particular well-known Celtic player which I did. That player hardly touched the ball. The problem was that I only touched the ball myself around 10 times in the game and for an attacking midfielder who loves to get forward that was excruciating. The manager thought I had one of my best games for him and I couldn’t understand how."
    Last edited by Baker9; 17-07-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I remember him signing along with Tommy Mac and Graham Mitchell. I think it was a new year derby when we drew 2-2 I think not long after they had all signed and DB ran the show in the middle of the park that night. If it hadn’t been for Roughie getting chipped on his goal line twice by agent Colquhoun we’d have won the game comfortably. Added a bit of steel as well as true quality to our midfield at that time.

Edit - just did a search and found this;
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thehi...uary-1987/amp/
    When he was leaving Rangers he had a number of options and chose Hibs. He rated both McIntyre and Mitchell and the fact that they were signing helped his decision. He claims that the three of them played a big part in us moving up the table out of relegation threat.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    This extract from the Hibs section of the book struck a chord with me:

"Speaking to Hibs fans at various events at the time, their overall feeling was that Alec’s tactics were a bit too negative. The way I saw it is that he was only negative in the big games but not the ordinary league games. If we played Dunfermline for example and they were bottom half he wanted me to run at them and get the crowd excited. That is what I had been doing for years, and since I had been at the club, and I loved it. Against the bigger and better teams he was now was telling me that I had to sit in. That might have made good tactical sense but I really disliked having to do it.

In one game he asked me to man-mark a particular well-known Celtic player which I did. That player hardly touched the ball. The problem was that I only touched the ball myself around 10 times in the game and for an attacking midfielder who loves to get forward that was excruciating. The manager thought I had one of my best games for him and I couldn’t understand how."
    That will strike a chord with everyone who endure the hearts run and many many games against the OF and Aberdeen where we allowed them to just play and we sat back. With the players we had at periods of his managership we could have done so much better but for his tactics