hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dougie Bell Biography

I am working with Dougie on his biography and we are about half way through. The amount of content on each team reflects the amount of time he spent with each of them - more written about Aberdeen, not so quite so much about Rangers, slightly less about Hibs and so on through around 10 other teams played for. He is a very fit 58 and still playing in Legends games for Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs. I remember a few years ago that several posters on here commented on Dougie's time with us and I wondered if anybody had anything they would like to comment on. This is not a commercial venture and any proceeds from the sale will go to Cancer Relief. Any comment you make will probably be under a banner like What the Hibs Fans Said and I aim to get around a page or so of comments. He has some interesting things to say about his time with us. His wife Hazel told me that Easter Road was her favourite of all of the ground because of the civilised atmosphere in the stand. We might just have been sleepy with the tactics at the time.

The writing is well in hand and we are now thinking about a Publisher. A number of people are lining up to help us with this but if anybody knows a good one please let me know.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Doug Doug Dougie Bell Doug Dougie Bell Doug Dougie Bell Doug Dougie Bell......we’re a bit more enterprising with our songs these days!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    I remember he linked well with Mickey Weir. They seemed to understand each others game. Remember them playing nice one twos to each other in one game. Good player. Good luck with the book mate.

I remember him signing along with Tommy Mac and Graham Mitchell. I think it was a new year derby when we drew 2-2 I think not long after they had all signed and DB ran the show in the middle of the park that night. If it hadn’t been for Roughie getting chipped on his goal line twice by agent Colquhoun we’d have won the game comfortably. Added a bit of steel as well as true quality to our midfield at that time.

Edit - just did a search and found this;
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thehi...uary-1987/amp/

@hibs.net private member Silversand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember him signing along with Tommy Mac and Graham Mitchell. I think it was a new year derby when we drew 2-2 I think not long after they had all signed and DB ran the show in the middle of the park that night. If it hadn’t been for Roughie getting chipped on his goal line twice by agent Colquhoun we’d have won the game comfortably. Added a bit of steel as well as true quality to our midfield at that time.

Edit - just did a search and found this;
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thehi...uary-1987/amp/
    I remember Dougie Bell doing a keepy-uppy while running type thing in the 2-2 game.

Also Sneddons 25 harder that Henry tipped over the bar

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    My recollection is that the ne'er day game was cancelled and that Bell, Mitchell McIntyre played their first game v Falkirk at the old Brockville in front of a massive traveling Hibs support and we won 3-0. Bell was hugely impressive that day but Mitchell and McIntyre proved very good servants to us over the years. Memory may be playing tricks as back then I was much younger and often drunk!!

Left by mutual consent!
    A more skilful player that most would probably give him credit for and a very effective signing at a time when Hibs were in danger of going on a bit of a slide and needed some genuine pedigree in the side. A couple of others arrived along with him, McIntyre and possibly Mitchell. It's my recollection we dug out a really good win at Falkirk on his debut around Christmas time (might be wrong) and followed it up with a New Year derby draw where he helped to ensure we really stood up to Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    My recollection is that the ne'er day game was cancelled and that Bell, Mitchell McIntyre played their first game v Falkirk at the old Brockville in front of a massive traveling Hibs support and we won 3-0. Bell was hugely impressive that day but Mitchell and McIntyre proved very good servants to us over the years. Memory may be playing tricks as back then I was much younger and often drunk!!
    I think the new year game was cancelled shortly before kick off. It had been lashing down and we were in the Loch Inn when word reached us the game was off. Took place the midweek after.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I think the new year game was cancelled shortly before kick off. It had been lashing down and we were in the Loch Inn when word reached us the game was off. Took place the midweek after.
    Yip,that's how I remember it, we were in the Royal Nip and saw folk all trudging away from ER. A group of us Alloa Hibbies ended up going into recreation park to watch the end of Alloa v Stirling Albion. No idea what the score was in that game.

Blog Entries
    That's correct. I'd come up from London for the game & was in Jim O's pub when game was cancelled. Just got P---ed with Jimmy instead but was away home before rescheduled game took place!

@hibs.net private member
    Used to love DB doing his keepy uppy warm up routine before a game. It consisted of hundreds without the ball hitting the deck once.

Dougie Bett

Sometime in the 80s it is alleged Jim Bett took the field at Easter Road the home of Edinburgh team Hibernian. Bett in full Umbro Hibernian kit then went on to beat the world freestyle keepey up record. Despite a large crowd only one fan ever caught this great sporting moment and no cameras were present as the game was not televised. Bett allegedly did a number of tricks with a rolled up fifty stuck in his arse. Bett at the time had become addicted to a new craze of Cocainanus a highly addictive sport from Peru which the leader of the band the Charlatans Tim Burgess had introduced Bett to previously. The very dangerous technique of having coke blown up your arse by a close friend or lover enabled Bett to improve his keepey uppey skills no end. There were calls to ban Bett but Fifa ruled that while it had an effect on the mind physically it was harder to do keepey uppeys with the rolled up note. They however made it regulation that a fifty note off any currency must be used at all times. Craig Levein of lesser Edinburgh side Hearts was the first to receive a ten game ban for flaunting this rule and using a pound note. He challenged ban on grounds he was a tinflint jakey ****bo who had never seen a fifty never mind use one but Fifa upheld ban and increased to 20 games for Levein . Bett has never been seen at Easter Road in two decades but his legend grows each year. Many Hibernian fans in aftermath of historic cup win celebrated with a go at Cocainanus with close friends and loved ones. Many attempts were made at Betts keepey uppey record display but Jim Bett will always be the greatest. The fifty Bett used is framed and hangs in the main hall of the Hibernian supporters club. Fans hope to raise money to have a statue raised at the clubs ground in coming years.

Dougie Bell never got the credit He deserved and was always mistaken for Jim Bett in the eyes of 1

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Dougie Bell had great ball control but there was only so much he could do in a pretty mediocre Hibs team. As an aside he sat next to us and had a couple of pints at the Malletsheugh in Newton Mearns. It was toward the end of his time at Ibrox and he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders so we left him in peace.

Was there a large section about Shrewsbury Town? He was keen enough to go there. Decent enough player though. Good luck with the biography though, writing is hard work, and even harder to get published.

Thanks for the above. Some of what you say connects directly to the book and I will comment on some of the points raised for your interest, in a few days time.

Promising Youngster
    Dougie Bell was an outstanding player (at least as far as I am concerned)
    However I remember that when travelling to the Isle of Man Tournament on the ferry with Hibs in 1986 he carried his gear in a Rangers sports bag!
    Either my memory is screwed or Hibs are a damn sight more professional now👍

Quote Originally Posted by roc1 View Post
    However I remember that when travelling to the Isle of Man Tournament on the ferry with Hibs in 1986 he carried his gear in a Rangers sports bag!
    The IOM tournament Happy days ! I think I'm still recovering from that expedition !

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    The IOM tournament Happy days ! I think I'm still recovering from that expedition !
    Happy days indeed. Hibs winning (sometimes) on ‘almost foreign soil ‘
    And Andy Goram signs as a result 😁

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    An excellent cultured footballer just used to glide across the grass. I liked the way he used to take the ball,for a walk taking the pressure off our often beleaguered defence at that time. A very good underrated football player I was surprised that he only played 32 games and scoring 3 goals for our club.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Imagine nowadays, a Scottish player in a team winning leagues and cups and getting to the business end in European Tournaments, but not getting a sniff for a place in the national team. The competition for that place in the team must have been impressive.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roc1 View Post
    That would explain the slippering we took off Wigan (Vauxhall conference at the time?). It was pre season 1987 though.

I recall his debut I think, (the 2-2 rearranged New Year Derby ?) and he was very good. That would be January 87. I don't remember him contributing much thereafter and he struck me as being out of sorts most of the time......

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    That would explain the slippering we took off Wigan (Vauxhall conference at the time?). It was pre season 1987 though.

I recall his debut I think, (the 2-2 rearranged New Year Derby ?) and he was very good. That would be January 87. I don't remember him contributing much thereafter and he struck me as being out of sorts most of the time......
    His debut was away to Falkirk on a bone hard pitch, along with Mitch & Tommy Mac. Sure he scored a raker in a 3-1 win but my memory might be playing tricks on me. Thought Miller was starting to build a really exciting side at that point, with Micky Weir and Joe McBride on the wings too.

I loved watching Bell play, the ba seemed tied to his foot at times but he came to us at the tail end of his career and think he might have had the old maverick streak in him which I can't imagine Lexo being too fond of (again, I might have just made that up).

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    His debut was away to Falkirk on a bone hard pitch, along with Mitch & Tommy Mac. Sure he scored a raker in a 3-1 win but my memory might be playing tricks on me. Thought Miller was starting to build a really exciting side at that point, with Micky Weir and Joe McBride on the wings too.

I loved watching Bell play, the ba seemed tied to his foot at times but he came to us at the tail end of his career and think he might have had the old maverick streak in him which I can't imagine Lexo being too fond of (again, I might have just made that up).
    Was that his home debut then at Easter Road v them? It was definitely early. Aberdeen was the only real stint he had anywhere. I reckon he played as many for us as he did for the Huns and after that....? He didn't strike me as old when he came to Hibs. He should've been at his peak. Maverick? Nah. He's done nowt really. I reckon the book will be an account of tales of illicit adventures, Fergie, Rangers. And maybe some more tales about Fergie, Rangers and something else..Played about the same length of time for us as Rowan Vine.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    I remember he linked well with Mickey Weir. They seemed to understand each others game. Remember them playing nice one twos to each other in one game. Good player. Good luck with the book mate.
    Funny, that's always what I think when I hear the name Dougie Bell, think it was a cup tie against Dunfermline at Easter Road that Mickey and Dougie played a blinder together, if I remember The Pars brought a big crowd as they were riding high in the first division but we ran out comfortable 2-0 winners, thanks mostly to their efforts.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I remember Dougie Bell as a talented player who came and did well as Miller set about rebuilding a side which had been run into the ground. He was offski quite soon and the talk at the time was a falling out with Alex Miller. That wasn’t an uncommon issue as the likes of Archibald, Mc Leod, Houchen and Stuart Beedie would testify.

Don’t know what stage you’re at re the publishing process but it may well be worth your while getting in touch with Mark Stanton at Jenny Brown Associates (Lit Agents). Jenny dealt with my stuff herself but Stan has interests in sports books. They really know their stuff and are decent people who take a human approach with their clients.
    Good luck.

https://jerichowriters.com/agentmatc.../mark-stanton/

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    First player I ever saw who dribbled like the ball was tied to his feet. Loved Dougie

Tell me I'm wrong but I'm certain Dougie scored on his debut (home debut at worst) midweek at home with a stoater from outside the box. Can't mind the oppo

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Ouch sorry. That was Neil Orr🤢🤢

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Was that his home debut then at Easter Road v them? It was definitely early. Aberdeen was the only real stint he had anywhere. I reckon he played as many for us as he did for the Huns and after that....? He didn't strike me as old when he came to Hibs. He should've been at his peak. Maverick? Nah. He's done nowt really. I reckon the book will be an account of tales of illicit adventures, Fergie, Rangers. And maybe some more tales about Fergie, Rangers and something else..Played about the same length of time for us as Rowan Vine.
    Think you'll be right that the 2-2 derby was his home debut. Rearranged evening game during the week after the first one was called off shortly before ko following torrential rain. Mind you had to collect your ticket on the way out of the terracing so you could re-use it on the Wednesday!