hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    KO Time for Return Leg in Greece seems to signal 20.00 Local Time. this is according to Wikipedia

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Why are we putting ourselves down against an unknown team? I think we have a great chance of progressing through.

You get the feeling we will toil in Greece. Definitely need to improve before then and score a few at the Holy Ground.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why are we putting ourselves down against an unknown team? I think we have a great chance of progressing through.
    They are not un known been in the group stages 3 times in the last five years l

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    They are not un known been in the group stages 3 times in the last five years l
    No they haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    You get the feeling we will toil in Greece. Definitely need to improve before then and score a few at the Holy Ground.
    Away goals has been our undoing in the past.

It's our defending that needs to sharpen up the most for the game at Easter Road.

I have faith that we can score home and away.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    No they haven't.
    Twice.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Have to take a lead to Greece, preferably with a clean sheet. Will be tough over there. The game might be played late in the evening, but will still be very hot and humid. Might not be one of the more well known Greek sides, but have much more recent European experience than we have with some decent results.

No they haven't.
    Sorry it is only twice but that hardly makes them unknown no Scottish team out with the uglies has made it that far for years.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I don't expect Hibs to progress, but we live in hope.

If Asteras Tripolis had spies at the game tonight, they'll have learned all the wrong things.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Don’t forget Brondby-played excellent away from home.

Issue was an early goal at home. But we also played well at home.

Has anybody been messing with their Wikipedia page? it says they have a player on their books called Rooney W**kewai!!

The decider will be how each team does in their away legs. It seems both us and Asteras have good home records.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Winning the 1st leg with a clean sheet is a must.

Our last three competitive games...

5-5
    6-1
    4-6

0-1 Hibs in Greece, 2-1 Hibs at ER agg: 3-1. They are not as good as Brondy who were very fortunate to progress against us.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Don’t forget Brondby-played excellent away from home.

Issue was an early goal at home. But we also played well at home.

We should have gone through. So unlucky and I still can’t believe how Cummings was flagged offside in the 1st leg. Abysmal decision!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by St Pauli Hibee View Post
    KO Time for Return Leg in Greece seems to signal 20.00 Local Time. this is according to Wikipedia

21:45 local time.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Wonder when we'll hear about away tickets
    Hibernian Football Club

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
    Wonder when we'll hear about away tickets
    It will just be pay on the night, lucky if 2,000 will be at the game

Their average gate is only 1800 so I can’t imagine their player budget is huge. We should def be capable of beating this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Their average gate is only 1800 so I can’t imagine their player budget is huge. We should def be capable of beating this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I heard that they have some sort of link-up in Argentina.

Players get taken to Greece to go in the shop window, are sold on for decent money with the money being put back into the club, and them some more highly-rated Argentinians come over.

We'd all expect to lose to Panathinaikos, but they finished 13 points and 6 places behind this team last season.

Small crowds yes, but they won't be mugs.

Not sure when their season starts, but I think the 2 ties we've already played will work to our advantage as we've already played some competitive football this season.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I heard that they have some sort of link-up in Argentina.

Players get taken to Greece to go in the shop window, are sold on for decent money with the money being put back into the club, and them some more highly-rated Argentinians come over.

We'd all expect to lose to Panathinaikos, but they finished 13 points and 6 places behind this team last season.

Small crowds yes, but they won't be mugs.

Not sure when their season starts, but I think the 2 ties we've already played will work to our advantage as we've already played some competitive football this season.
    Panathinaikos had 3 points deductions last season, two of them for financial reasons. Its fair to say they're not what they once were.

Testimonial Due
    If you look at their league performance the last few years they're basically a motherwell. Capable of a good season with European qualification, also capable of fighting relegation. We wouldn't take motherwell lightly over two legs but nor would we fear them.

'Sunny Motherwell', right, where do I apply for my job as head of the Tripolis tourist board?

Panathinaikos had 3 points deductions last season, two of them for financial reasons. Its fair to say they're not what they once were.
    Fair point - and I wasn't aware of that.

My point is more that I don't think we should lightly dismiss a team who qualified from the Greek league (a pretty respectable standard of football) via league position just because they get very small crowds. They clearly have an alternative business model that doesn't rely so much on punters paying through the gate and should still be a fairly stern test.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Fair point - and I wasn't aware of that.

My point is more that I don't think we should lightly dismiss a team who qualified from the Greek league (a pretty respectable standard of football) via league position just because they get very small crowds. They clearly have an alternative business model that doesn't rely so much on punters paying through the gate and should still be a fairly stern test.
    Not sure anyone is dismissing them, well apart from Bob, and Bobs Bob if you know what i mean.

We will have a chance, they will probably be favorites, but in reality, we dont know what they are like, and as much as they might fancy their chances, we will also fancy ours.

Its not Juventus we are playing here, where we know before the start that we are getting pumped. If we could have taken anyone in those teams we could have drawn, these would have been up there who we'd rather have before some of the others.

Mind you if they do beat us, i can imagine the carnage on here.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Not sure anyone is dismissing them, well apart from Bob, and Bobs Bob if you know what i mean.

We will have a chance, they will probably be favorites, but in reality, we dont know what they are like, and as much as they might fancy their chances, we will also fancy ours.

Its not Juventus we are playing here, where we know before the start that we are getting pumped. If we could have taken anyone in those teams we could have drawn, these would have been up there who we'd rather have before some of the others.

I think it will be close - it will be a good result if we beat them (not a wildly amazing one) and there shouldn't be carnage if we lose.

There are a few teams in this competition that we'd expect to lose to, but the Brondby game (and the fact that they went on to beat Hertha Berlin in the next round) gave us hope that we should at least be going toe to toe with most teams in this competition without fear.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Depends on how good they are, when we played Maribor they were an unknown team but at the end everyone knew they were a class above.

Being honest all 3 Scottish clubs are up against it in the Europa , the huns will struggle against the Croatian team , we will struggle against the Greeks and the sheep have pretty much no chance .

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Depends on how good they are, when we played Maribor they were an unknown team but at the end everyone knew they were a class above.
    It's hard not to see the ties through the eyes of a Hibs fan, but I thought both Maribor and Malmo were superb.

They both went on to have relative success as teams, and several individual players from those teams went on to do well for themselves.

Asteras might be the same. They might not.