hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask Terry Butcher.
    Always makes me laugh that, people like Butcher that made a career out of kicking lumps out of people which could actually have injured people labelling Maradona a cheat because he hand balled it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why wouldn't we win it? Absolutely no reason these guys are any better than us.
    Exactly, I expect us to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why wouldn't we win it? Absolutely no reason these guys are any better than us.
    They look quite decent on paper. Been to the Europa groups a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Ask Terry Butcher.
    Is Terry Butcher entitled to be given a fair hearing on anything? Ask Hibs fans.

Got this from a Greek guy at work (I think he is referring to last year):

"Historically considered one of the weaker teams in Greece but they are having a good year at the moment (helped by the fact that the rest seem to having a pretty bad one). They are currently #5 in the Greek League with 39 goals in 30 games and an average of 1 goal per 7.8 attempts when the average of other teams is 1 goal per 11.1 attempts. So they are doing good but they are pretty inconsistent, ie playing well in one game, and crap on the next two etc. Overall, I wouldn’t underestimate them but I’d bet my money on the Hibs."

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Always makes me laugh that, people like Butcher that made a career out of kicking lumps out of people which could actually have injured people labelling Maradona a cheat because he hand balled it.
    He headed that goal in, never seen a handball from Diego at all 😉

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    They look quite decent on paper. Been to the Europa groups a couple of times.

think we are in for a tough time to be honest

here is some of the stats

The 2012–13 season was the most successful in Asteras' history. They finished third in the Super League (and fourth in the play-offs), securing a place for the 2013–14 Europa League. Meanwhile, they reached the first Greek Cup final in their history, losing 1–3 to Olympiacos after extra time.[5]

"Notable wins"
    2016–17 Asteras Tripolis – AEK 3–2
    2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – AEK 2–0
    2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – Panathinaikos 1–0
    2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – PAOK 3–2

PS: we are still not there yet!!!

lal

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by LALthehibeeGAL View Post
    think we are in for a tough time to be honest

here is some of the stats

The 2012–13 season was the most successful in Asteras' history. They finished third in the Super League (and fourth in the play-offs), securing a place for the 2013–14 Europa League. Meanwhile, they reached the first Greek Cup final in their history, losing 1–3 to Olympiacos after extra time.[5]

"Notable wins"
    2016–17 Asteras Tripolis – AEK 3–2
    2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – AEK 2–0
    2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – Panathinaikos 1–0
    2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – PAOK 3–2

PS: we are still not there yet!!!

lal
    Their fans could just as easily look at the fact we beat rangers (twice) and Celtic last season and conclude they're in for a tough time.

Think it will be a close tie but actually having the Faroese game first might work in our favour in terms of knocking off the ring rustiness.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I fancy us to get through. Won't be an easy game but we have to go into it believing we can win.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I think it will be tight, away goals might decide this tie.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Don't really expect us to win the tie, bit good trip for the lucky few who can go. Should make a few quid in the home tie too.
    As a vet of the 60's and 70's, I expect us to beat just about anyone put in front of us... but then again, we were spoiled back then, and I've been a tad disappointed since

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Do Argentinians cheat more than other nationalities?
    Latin and Hispanic teams of the past gained a deserved reputation for cheating both on and off the field - Match-fixing and bribing refs an all-too familiar scenario.
    But cheating (play acting/diving) is now considered part of the game around the world and the Argentineans probably don't cheat any more than, say, the Germans.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    As a vet of the 60's and 70's, I expect us to beat just about anyone put in front of us... but then again, we were spoiled back then, and I've been a tad disappointed since
    The young snowflakes of today, eh. When I were a lad we gave the Italian league leaders a 3 goal start and pumped them 5-0 to go through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    Their fans could just as easily look at the fact we beat rangers (twice) and Celtic last season and conclude they're in for a tough time.

Think it will be a close tie but actually having the Faroese game first might work in our favour in terms of knocking off the ring rustiness.
    Or they might look at our recent European record and think were utter horse sh%@e.Which tbf is utter horse ***** though imho i reckon we are far better prepared and a far better team since our last European games.

They finished 5th in the Greek super league last season with the same points as Xanthi but better goal difference. To be fair to the Greek leagues it's a few big boys and the rest made up of smaller sides from islands etc. The standard is not outstanding but Tripolis seem to be well organised as they don't concede too many goals, but only score more than one against the weakest sides in the league. Should we fear them? - no way, but it will not be easy.

The Greeks love a nil nil there are very few goals in their league games. Any score without conceding at home and I would really fancy our chances if they get a score draw or better at ER we will struggle. stating the Obvious i know

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Like BillyWhizz has said, the heat will be an issue.

Hopefully we get out there ASAP to try to acclimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

I heard several times in commentary during the World Cup that Southgate had England arriving as late as possible to new cities because trying to acclimatise to hotter or humid conditions wasn’t proven to be beneficial. They viewed it as better to stay within their ‘home’ comforts, and just deal with the new conditions for 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    I heard several times in commentary during the World Cup that Southgate had England arriving as late as possible to new cities because trying to acclimatise to hotter or humid conditions wasn’t proven to be beneficial. They viewed it as better to stay within their ‘home’ comforts, and just deal with the new conditions for 90 minutes.
    Rugby teams take a similar approach now to playing on the high veldt in South Africa, so the sports science must support it.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    This lot are no mugs. Given the heat we will be up against in Greece think it's imperative we keep a clean sheet at home and look to have a two goal lead. Think it's a tricky tie but I'm hopeful we can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Lets hope its one of our "cooler" summer days when they come across here

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post

Jim Herriot?

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Out of interest, what was bronbys home record like prior to our victory there?

We can get results at places like Ibrox, Celtic park, bromby, tynie, pittodrie under Lennon. If we can take a first leg advantage to Greece, I'm confident in this team to see us through.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Out of interest, what was bronbys home record like prior to our victory there?

We can get results at places like Ibrox, Celtic park, bromby, tynie, pittodrie under Lennon. If we can take a first leg advantage to Greece, I'm confident in this team to see us through.

We have to win to nil at home to stand a good chance of going through imo.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    The Third Qualifying Round draw actually takes places on the Monday prior to the first leg of the Second Round - so barring a collapse in the Faroes we’ll know who we might be up against on the 9th/16th August.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    The Third Qualifying Round draw actually takes places on the Monday prior to the first leg of the Second Round - so barring a collapse in the Faroes we’ll know who we might be up against on the 9th/16th August.
    Think I’m going to leave an away trip for this round!
    I’ll take my chances

The guy I am renting my Air B and B from assures me it is not that hot there and it rains a lot! Could be that the climate might not be too oppressive for us.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    We have to win to nil at home to stand a good chance of going through imo.
    It would certainly be a big help!

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    At the risk of sounding like an English pundit in the world cup I don't think it's being too presumptuous to start looking ahead to this tie now.

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about them? Are they likely to be any good? Will their season be underway when we play them? Any star players we may have heard of? Will they bring a decent crowd with them? Do their supporters take milk in their coffee? Cafe Nero or Starbucks?

Feels like this will be the proper European tie we worked so hard to qualify for, was a great occasion when AEK Athens came to Easter Road but i hope this mob aren't as good as they were. Not sure if Greek football is in a good place just now or not though?
    I can see these statements pinned up on the Runavik dressing room board right now.
    That's their team talk taken care of.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Jim Herriot?
    Had a drink with him before the Lisbon game on the prom in Estoril... several, actually. I'm given to understand that Eddy Turnbull was not amused