hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Catering at ER

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Been to a lot of grounds over the past few seasons and Hibs catering stands out a mile as the worst, both for quality and value for money.

Can't quite understand why nothing has been done about this considering all the complaints over the years.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Greggs food is a lot better than some posters are giving them credit for. They do decent sandwiches too.

The other advantage in having them in is that you would get transfer rumours with your food.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    This is exactly the kind of issue that needs fan control, instead of hospitality lifestyle control, to get sorted. Any of the complainers on here not yet joined HSL?

Sent from my LENNY3 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Last time I was down in Derby, Pride Park had Greggs in their stadium. You would assume Greggs would bring their own equipment in which would cook the food better. I think it is easier for smaller clubs to get the food right because they're not dealing with 1000s of people. What I think Greggs would give you is consistency. Just now the quality of the pie you get depends on which oven it comes out of, how long it has been sitting and not just down to the actual quality of the product which by the sounds of it is pretty bad. I sat next to someone eating a steak pie last night and it looked and smelt like dog food, so the quality on the base product is not there to start with. Hibs keep telling us their are going to do something about it and they may well have changed things (bringing the staff in house) but they have not changed the quality of the product or the experience. It is 2018 and there are plenty of professionals who can do stadium food really well, so you have to assume the club are happy to offer rubbish and charge over the odds for it, which is disappointing. If they want a good match day experience they need to make sure the food offered is at least edible, the choice is good for everyone and it is reasonably priced. Just now they often don't meet any of these basics. Catering is not rocket science, if you are organised and know what you are doing then it is doable, when catering for large numbers you need to be alert, expect things to go wrong and have contingencies when they do. Above all you need to have good quality products. While the club are succeeding in many areas they are failing the fans with what they offer in terms of food and beverages.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The catering is a farce at Hibs and is the kind of thing that should have been resolved long before now. We have a thread like this every now and then and people offer a range of ideas which seem achievable and would address the issue. Nothing happens, ever!

Forget in house for the kiosks, give it to Greggs or someone else who can produce pies and sandwiches at a reasonable price and taste OK. We should also have pop up stands selling a bit of variety around the ground, open that up to smaller traders and promote quality and variety.

First Team Regular ChrissyG1875's Avatar
    I went down to reading last season to see derby play and had the nicest pie I've ever had at a football game. It genuinely tasted like something you'd get at a farmers market or something.

The food at ER is over priced garbage but the queues are always massive so at the prices they sell at and I'm assuming it's the cheapest food possible I'm not surprised they don't change anything unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Why don't they lease out areas in each stand to we'll known companies such as Subway, Greggs and McDonald's. Hibs get a cut of the trading profits and they get stadium advertising. Oh and a decent coffee, the one out that ready made cup is terrible!

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember speaking about this in the working together group 3 years ago and the plan was to bin the current caterers at the end of that season. Somehow they have clung on.

Tbf always admired our Steak Pie's need to be eaten upside down to ensure the arse doesn't fall out of it.

The disappointing thing is it is a potentially huge source of income for us if we can get it right.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Are the supporters reps rolls (pun intended) still in existence? Putting aside the merits of said roles, can we get this issue raised again with the club, for the umpteenth time no doubt. Hopefully this time we see some improvement.

Bought a sausage roll last night which was ok, but the scotch pie was only edible drowned in brown sauce to mask the uncooked layers of flour sitting on top.

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    Just been in contact with Tracey about this is she is going to check in a later today as she is out just now. I myself put over my views about this and she wants us fans all to put their views about the catering over to her in writing or email or even just add your views on here and she will send the link over. I think we need to all try and do this as its not going to change unless we let them know our views. Tracey was very understanding and I'm for one going to do what's she asked me to do so Hibs will listen. We managed to get the club shop in house after our complaints next we have to sort this catering out. If we are all going to just have a wee moan now and again then keep buying this rubbish NOTHING will change. The one thing that does annoy me is, after being to many AGM's and meetings where this catering complaint comes up Hibs keep saying they are working on it or they can't do nothing just now as the catering firm are still in contract. Why do Hibs they keep renewing their contract when they know the fans aren't happy ?.
    Last edited by Last Minute; 13-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Got to the ground fairly late last night from work and didn't have a chance to grab a La Favorita slice. Got to half time and was starving but the van had gone and the kiosk pizza slices looked pretty unappealing so decided to go for a pie. Chicken curry had sold out so went for steak. Had to take it back after biting into it and realising it was mince. Replacement was no problem but it fell apart pretty quickly and it's never ideal to see the innards of a pie but there was precious little steak in there. Ate the crust and left the contents for the seagulls.

@hibs.net private member
    Catering has been overly priced & appalling for years.
    So why do people continually use it then moan on Hibs.net on a weekly basis.
    Dunfermline FC Stephens birdies are excellent & well priced.

Who was it that supplied the pies about 15/20 years ago when we were wining awards for them,if i remember correctly we were better than brownings killie pies

The catering at ER is an absolute disgrace, the prices for the quality you get is shocking. Never normally use the kiosks but decided to get a slice of pizza last night, no Cheese & Tomato pizza, only pepperoni. £1 more to have 4 circular mega thin slices of Pepperoni!! £4.20 for a slice of the worst quality pizza you’ll ever eat!!

@hibs.net private member
    The last thing any club wants to do is get involved in mass catering. It is not their speciality, so to speak.

It is much easier to rent the spectators' catering kiosks to an outside event caterer.

Hibs know the quality is not good but as long as fans queue match after match they will continue in this way.

The only good food is not available to the public at ER.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Can't remember the last time I bought anything other than water at catering at a football ground let alone Hibs. The whole industry is a scam.

What I don´t get is, you/we keep buying it, KNOWING it is substandard bog awful quality and then complain about it. The club does nothing and yet you/we come back again and buy the same **** AGAIN, if you/we stopped buying the **** the club might get the idea.
    Just don´t buy it.

Start a boycott,hand out small flyers,picket the pie stands, there seems to be enough folk on here unhappy enough to start one, maybe then they will take notice.
    Last edited by Phil MaGlass; 13-07-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Really grudge paying the prices for the low standard of food on offer. Feel for the staff as they’re probably temps but they could do with trying to recruit staff week in week out. At a Hibs Kids game last season the poor girl behind the counter wasn’t sure what she was doing and tried to charge us three quid for a packet of quavers!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really grudge paying the prices for the low standard of food on offer. Feel for the staff as they’re probably temps but they could do with trying to recruit staff week in week out. At a Hibs Kids game last season the poor girl behind the counter wasn’t sure what she was doing and tried to charge us three quid for a packet of quavers!
    Was there maybe a sale on for Hibs Kids day?

The folk that work there also lack training. I asked for a cup of tea and the guy filled the cup up with water and handed me the tea bag separately like it was a wee side dish or something!

FWIW i think the catering is fine.

For want of a better phrase 'it is what it is'......Mass produced food designed to fill a wee hole for guys that go for a few pints before a game and don't pick up any lunch or for kids that probably aren't even hungry but want to waste a bit time getting some rubbish to eat.

Of course it's grossly overpriced but that's what happens at events, whether it's a sporting event, concert or any other place that is selling to large crowds. I suppose the extra price is the price to pay for convenience, if you don't want to pay it go somewhere else before the game and get something better value, doing so is more often than not a hassle though.

I'd hope Hibs don't waste any time or resources trying to fix this issue as people will, IMO, never be happy anyway when it comes to food.

Quote Originally Posted by DR1875 View Post
    Why don't they lease out areas in each stand to we'll known companies such as Subway, Greggs and McDonald's. Hibs get a cut of the trading profits and they get stadium advertising. Oh and a decent coffee, the one out that ready made cup is terrible!
    It would make more sense to have more choice under each stand - similar to airports etc.

A decent coffee place - a trustworthy food place for pies / sausage rolls and maybe something for burgers / chips and something for healthier options ?

I also think they should introduce recycling bins at the stadium and encourage fans to use them more - would hit the BBC news I'm sure if we started an initiative to make our stadium more eco - friendly.

They should also introduce water fountains though obviously cups wouldn't be environmentally friendly.

@hibs.net private member
    Best catering last season was St Johnstone. The steak pies were quality!!

The pizzas look rank. I haven't seen anything like that since clerrys greasy gallo was still about. And the hot dogs are about a fiver? A hot dog that is the arse end of whatever and reconstituted

Coaching Staff
    To think I would on occasion complain about the old Bovril & Pie stand on the old East terrace. Happy days of yester year. 😁

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Overpriced poor quality food on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    It would make more sense to have more choice under each stand - similar to airports etc.

A decent coffee place - a trustworthy food place for pies / sausage rolls and maybe something for burgers / chips and something for healthier options ?

I also think they should introduce recycling bins at the stadium and encourage fans to use them more - would hit the BBC news I'm sure if we started an initiative to make our stadium more eco - friendly.

They should also introduce water fountains though obviously cups wouldn't be environmentally friendly.
    Jeezo, It's football team we're meant to be running here, not a food hall.

The catering side is open for a couple of hours roughly once a fortnight, i can't help but think you're putting too much thought into it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    I don't understand why nothing has been done about this. Every now and again this comes up on here and we all go on about how bad the quality is and the price. The food is disgusting and way over priced. Can Tracey or Frank not do something about this. Can the Board of directors not come down for just 1 game and queue like us and taste what we get thrown at us instead of having their coffee and tasty steak pies they get served upstairs. I know people will say just don't buy it and they will soon make changes, that's hard for some people who maybe have come straight from work or just not had time to eat elsewhere or who have kids and family with them. Plus why should we do that, we should have quality food and fair prices like what some other (not all) grounds do. its been promised by hibs for some time now and nothing changes its a joke. They say come to Easter road and enjoy the Family Experience but don't care what go's on at the Kiosks. All I'm asking is for each member of the board to come down at half time and split up and queue around different kiosks and experience what we have to put up with. Surly that's not to much to ask Tracey and Frank to put forward.
    Agree with this, for a long time I've just refused to buy anything from the kiosks.

I fundamentally object to being massively over-charged (and they do overcharge at an inexcusable level) for stuff that isn't even close to being good enough to be considered half-way worth the money.

There is nothing on offer from the kiosks that represents value for money, and I'd bet that the kids serving are being paid the lowest wage the caterers can get away with.

I hate it when I go to gigs and they charge over the odds for food and drink and I hate it even more when it's happening at my own club.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Agree with this, for a long time I've just refused to buy anything from the kiosks.

I fundamentally object to being massively over-charged (and they do overcharge at an inexcusable level) for stuff that isn't even close to being good enough to be considered half-way worth the money.

There is nothing on offer from the kiosks that represents value for money, and I'd bet that the kids serving are being paid the lowest wage the caterers can get away with.

I hate it when I go to gigs and they charge over the odds for food and drink and I hate it even more when it's happening at my own club.
    It happens everywhere though Matty, why are you so surprised to find it at Easter Road?

The food is over priced, of course it is, however i'd say it's in line with all over priced junk food you get at any event catering for a lot of people.

All industries are so competitive now, if they were making huge margins then i'm sure one of there competitors would under cut them when bidding for the contract. (assuming it's outsourced)

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Jeezo, It's football team we're meant to be running here, not a food hall.

The catering side is open for a couple of hours roughly once a fortnight, i can't help but think you're putting too much thought into it.

The Catering is a big part of running a football club and brings in a lot of extra cash for the football club. Just look at the hospitality side. If its only a couple of hours once a fortnight why do fans pay for the hospitality side of it ?

I bet they don't serve the same pies etc.. upstairs. Naw cos nobody would be there and the club would lose a lot of cash. Hibernian keep advertising come to Easter Road and enjoy the Whole Matchday Experience and that includes Catering.