hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Catering at ER

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The pies in the west upper are sound and have been for years. I always get one before kickoff and they’re piping hot and don’t bare any resemblance to the OPs description!!

Too many folk watch endless Jamie and Nigella shows and want gourmet food everywhere!!

Scotch pie and a bovril. Ditch everything else.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Catering is a big part of running a football club and brings in a lot of extra cash for the football club. Just look at the hospitality side. If its only a couple of hours once a fortnight why do fans pay for the hospitality side of it ?

I bet they don't serve the same pies etc.. upstairs. Naw cos nobody would be there and the club would lose a lot of cash. Hibernian keep advertising come to Easter Road and enjoy the Whole Matchday Experience and that includes Catering.
    That's business though. Big wigs paying the money for corporate are getting a better standard of food as they're paying for it.

I know this will sound like i'm nit picking but for me, the days of clubs getting a lot of money from catering are gone, they'll make their money from selling the catering contracts.

I don't know the company that do the catering however if they are offering Hibs a better deal financially than an eco friendly ethical company that would sell healthy food at a reasonable price to supporters then Hibs should be going for the company offering the most money.

The catering won't be a deciding factor whether people go to games or not.

If it really is that big a deal to people, they simply shouldn't buy it. It genuinely is that simple, i don't see the fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    The pies in the west upper are sound and have been for years. I always get one before kickoff and they’re piping hot and don’t bare any resemblance to the OPs description!!

Too many folk watch endless Jamie and Nigella shows and want gourmet food everywhere!!

Amen.....

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Can't remember the last time I bought anything other than water at catering at a football ground let alone Hibs. The whole industry is a scam.
    I live near the ground and if I'd have had time to go home after work I would have eaten there - that was the first time I bought a pie at ER in a number of years. Suspect there is a shallow pool of bokers who can supply pastry goods on an industrial scale as required for a football match but I wish Storries on Leith Walk could and was the supplier to Hibs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    All the pies are terrible at Easter Road - soggy bottom!
    Yup. The balti pies are about as good as it gets at ER but the bottom of them is inevitably a soggy mess.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I live near the ground and if I'd have had time to go home after work I would have eaten there - that was the first time I bought a pie at ER in a number of years. Suspect there is a shallow pool of bokers who can supply pastry goods on an industrial scale as required for a football match but I wish Storries on Leith Walk could and was the supplier to Hibs!
    The ER pies certainly give me the boke.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    It happens everywhere though Matty, why are you so surprised to find it at Easter Road?

The food is over priced, of course it is, however i'd say it's in line with all over priced junk food you get at any event catering for a lot of people.

All industries are so competitive now, if they were making huge margins then i'm sure one of there competitors would under cut them when bidding for the contract. (assuming it's outsourced)
    Not surprised at all, but just because it happens everywhere we should accept it?

People don't have to eat at the football, in the same way we don't have to buy popcorn at the cinema, but for some it's part of the experience (or could be, if done right.)

I want Hibs to be better, when I go to a gig, Noel Gallagher (or whoever) doesn't know I've been to see him however many times, but Hibs do.

I don't invest emotionally or financially in other events in the same way I do with Hibs, and I would be amazed if I'm unique in that regard.

When I go to the SECC or wherever, I don't buy the overpriced crap unless I have to (i.e. if I want a pint, I've no choice but to buy it there when I'm there) but at least when they're doing it they're doing it to folk who are pretty faceless to them.

None of us are faceless to Hibs, they know who (by and large) who is coming to the games. They can make the match day experience better - when I was wee I used to love a pie and a Bovril and had related that to going to the football.

My son doesn't have that, the stuff is crap and overpriced and poorly served.

It's not good enough, and to be honest, using other rip-off merchants as a reason to just let it slide, isn't doing it for me.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

The Catering is a big part of running a football club and brings in a lot of extra cash for the football club. Just look at the hospitality side. If its only a couple of hours once a fortnight why do fans pay for the hospitality side of it ?

I bet they don't serve the same pies etc.. upstairs. Naw cos nobody would be there and the club would lose a lot of cash. Hibernian keep advertising come to Easter Road and enjoy the Whole Matchday Experience and that includes Catering.

You're right, the pies upstairs are excellent. Nae idea why they don't sell them at the kiosks. If they were ordering a lot more from their contractor's to stock the kiosks, they could negotiate a reduced cost on the contract for increasing the order. I cannae even look at the pizza when my bairn is scoffing it, looks absolutely rank, and a rip off to boot.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    I don't understand why nothing has been done about this. Every now and again this comes up on here and we all go on about how bad the quality is and the price. The food is disgusting and way over priced. Can Tracey or Frank not do something about this. Can the Board of directors not come down for just 1 game and queue like us and taste what we get thrown at us instead of having their coffee and tasty steak pies they get served upstairs. I know people will say just don't buy it and they will soon make changes, that's hard for some people who maybe have come straight from work or just not had time to eat elsewhere or who have kids and family with them. Plus why should we do that, we should have quality food and fair prices like what some other (not all) grounds do. its been promised by hibs for some time now and nothing changes its a joke. They say come to Easter road and enjoy the Family Experience but don't care what go's on at the Kiosks. All I'm asking is for each member of the board to come down at half time and split up and queue around different kiosks and experience what we have to put up with. Surly that's not to much to ask Tracey and Frank to put forward.
    very good point, over to you LD or even RP !!!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Not surprised at all, but just because it happens everywhere we should accept it?

People don't have to eat at the football, in the same way we don't have to buy popcorn at the cinema, but for some it's part of the experience (or could be, if done right.)

I want Hibs to be better, when I go to a gig, Noel Gallagher (or whoever) doesn't know I've been to see him however many times, but Hibs do.

I don't invest emotionally or financially in other events in the same way I do with Hibs, and I would be amazed if I'm unique in that regard.

When I go to the SECC or wherever, I don't buy the overpriced crap unless I have to (i.e. if I want a pint, I've no choice but to buy it there when I'm there) but at least when they're doing it they're doing it to folk who are pretty faceless to them.

None of us are faceless to Hibs, they know who (by and large) who is coming to the games. They can make the match day experience better - when I was wee I used to love a pie and a Bovril and had related that to going to the football.

It's not good enough, and to be honest, using other rip-off merchants as a reason to just let it slide, isn't doing it for me.
    I just assume they are all over priced as catering tenders must be so competitive.

I don't think all these companies are making vast sums of money from these deals (although i'm sure they're profitable companies).

These places are probably only really busy for 15 minutes a fortnight and have a 10 minute pre-match steady custom. I'd guess that's probably not reflected in the price they have to pay for the rights to win the contract. If they served the nicest and healthiest food known to man for a fraction of the price......they'd still be busy for around 15 minutes a fortnight. They need to serve the cheapest food they can get for the most expensive price they can get away with. Looking at the queues at half time in most games they've probably got the balance about right, even if a lot of people don't like it.

All of the above is said with absolutely zero knowledge of the catering industry by the way, i am however a fat ******* than enjoys eating pies and very bored at work.

Been boycotting pie hut for years and doesn't look like it's getting any better.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I just assume they are all over priced as catering tenders must be so competitive.

I don't think all these companies are making vast sums of money from these deals (although i'm sure they're profitable companies).

These places are probably only really busy for 15 minutes a fortnight and have a 10 minute pre-match steady custom. I'd guess that's probably not reflected in the price they have to pay for the rights to win the contract. If they served the nicest and healthiest food known to man for a fraction of the price......they'd still be busy for around 15 minutes a fortnight. They need to serve the cheapest food they can get for the most expensive price they can get away with. Looking at the queues at half time in most games they've probably got the balance about right, even if a lot of people don't like it.

All of the above is said with absolutely zero knowledge of the catering industry by the way, i am however a fat ******* than enjoys eating pies and very bored at work.
    I'm also a fat ******* bored at work, and I get the economics around profiting from a short window of opportunity but I don't think that has to mean that it's ok to fleece the customer for a substandard product.

Surely there's a point where both parties are happy - £1.50 is probably still more than a pie from somewhere like Greggs but if it was a good pie then people wouldn't mind paying for it.

Cheap isn't good if the quality is still crap, you want to feel like you're getting value for money - that's not Impossible to achieve and still make a profit.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I'm also a fat ******* bored at work, and I get the economics around profiting from a short window of opportunity but I don't think that has to mean that it's ok to fleece the customer for a substandard product.

Surely there's a point where both parties are happy - £1.50 is probably still more than a pie from somewhere like Greggs but if it was a good pie then people wouldn't mind paying for it.

Cheap isn't good if the quality is still crap, you want to feel like you're getting value for money - that's not Impossible to achieve and still make a profit.
    Without knowing the overheads involved i'm not sure we can know the answer to that.

Anyway, i think you (and everyone) gets my point, if any of you can find a way of getting good food at good prices that no other catering professional has managed to find for any event in the world ever good luck to you and you'll find me at the front of the queue.

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Amen

Personally, if the decision was left to me I'd get a deal in place with Baines!!

*Baines at Stenhoose cross, not to be mixed up with Baynes the chain

My point exactly, I don't mind paying over the odds if its a better quality. As I said smaller grounds maybe need more money than us to survive in this game but can deliver quality steak pies etc and still make a good profit. So why can't we? our food must be the worst in Scotland, me and my friends go to all games home and away and i'm sure we are the worst.

Without knowing the overheads involved i'm not sure we can know the answer to that.

Anyway, i think you (and everyone) gets my point, if any of you can find a way of getting good food at good prices that no other catering professional has managed to find for any event in the world ever good luck to you and you'll find me at the front of the queue.
    I don't think you've listened to the other posters on here. Just about every other football ground in Scotland has better quality food and prices than Easter road.

I don't think you've listened to the other posters on here. Just about every other football ground in Scotland has better quality food and prices than Easter road.
    Much of a muchness in my experience although i appreciate there's a lot more people with a lot more experience of going to more grounds and experiencing these things than i do.

Quote Originally Posted by DR1875 View Post
    Why don't they lease out areas in each stand to we'll known companies such as Subway, Greggs and McDonald's. Hibs get a cut of the trading profits and they get stadium advertising. Oh and a decent coffee, the one out that ready made cup is terrible!
    I’ve been in the home end in Aberdeen and they have a local baker stand doing pies,stovies etc very tasty and decent price.

@hibs.net private member
    I went to the Linlithgow rose game and got 2 x steak pies and a cold can of coke and got change from a fiver. The pies were quality with chucks of steak and a lovely gravy (not like the dried up dog food in the pies we serve)

How can most other clubs do this and make a profit? or is it the case we can but Hibs don't give a sh*t
    The Bridies at Linlithgow were ace...…..a Rose guy said they use a local butcher....time Hibs did the same ……..the catering in the stands is utter gash and ridiculously expensive.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

I don’t think that ‘s the case, if you’ve read any of the replies.

Pie and bovril, great choice for vegetarians that ain’t.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Yeah I’d probably just ban vegetarians to keep things simple.

Maybe sell cheese n onion crisps?

I don't understand why nothing has been done about this. Every now and again this comes up on here and we all go on about how bad the quality is and the price. The food is disgusting and way over priced. Can Tracey or Frank not do something about this. Can the Board of directors not come down for just 1 game and queue like us and taste what we get thrown at us instead of having their coffee and tasty steak pies they get served upstairs. I know people will say just don't buy it and they will soon make changes, that's hard for some people who maybe have come straight from work or just not had time to eat elsewhere or who have kids and family with them. Plus why should we do that, we should have quality food and fair prices like what some other (not all) grounds do. its been promised by hibs for some time now and nothing changes its a joke. They say come to Easter road and enjoy the Family Experience but don't care what go's on at the Kiosks. All I'm asking is for each member of the board to come down at half time and split up and queue around different kiosks and experience what we have to put up with. Surly that's not to much to ask Tracey and Frank to put forward.

I have had the privilege of getting into the players lounge once and once with the SPFL team scouts and both occasions the pies were exceptional and not the rubbish we are being served up as ordinary punters. Double standards and agree representatives should raise this until they get a suitable response.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    I have had the privilege of getting into the players lounge once and once with the SPFL team scouts and both occasions the pies were exceptional and not the rubbish we are being served up as ordinary punters. Double standards and agree representatives should raise this until they get a suitable response.
    Possibly an issue the fans reps could raise to the powers that be?

The lounge pies years ago used to provide the miniature Bells pies, they were later upgraded to the full size efforts but last couple of times I went there was none! Just tea and biscuits, considering we got pumped 3-0 from Morton last time I’d have had more fun getting my tea and biscuits giving blood

@hibs.net private member
    Look, we are in the ground for two hours max. Do we need to eat anything? There are chip shops etc on the way to the game

so get value for money better food en route. Stop spending money on the kiosks in the ground

and the club will take notice. It really is as simple as that!

Maybe the catering would improve if people stopped buying stuff from the kiosks. That way they would be forced to improve or they wouldn't sell anything?

FWIW i think the catering is fine.

For want of a better phrase 'it is what it is'......Mass produced food designed to fill a wee hole for guys that go for a few pints before a game and don't pick up any lunch or for kids that probably aren't even hungry but want to waste a bit time getting some rubbish to eat.

Of course it's grossly overpriced but that's what happens at events, whether it's a sporting event, concert or any other place that is selling to large crowds. I suppose the extra price is the price to pay for convenience, if you don't want to pay it go somewhere else before the game and get something better value, doing so is more often than not a hassle though.

I'd hope Hibs don't waste any time or resources trying to fix this issue as people will, IMO, never be happy anyway when it comes to food.
    It might be fine if you’ve ever thought it was acceptable to boil a pot noddle with a kettle in the comfort of you’re own living room, but for us folk with standards it’s not acceptable!

😉

Just do something similar to Aberdeen and get a food van in on match days. It was a wee bit expensive but it seemed like decent enough food

First Team Breakthrough
    As well as the food not being great the tills are totally old-fashioned - the servers key in the prices manually from what I can tell rather than pushing a button or scanning a barcode. That and the lack of cashless option mean the queues move much more slowly than need be. I missed the 5th goal last night despite being in the concourse pretty much straight away and the queue only having about 10 people in it.
    The staff training /retention seems pretty poor too- you’ve generally got 2 or 3 who know what they’re doing while hand-holding a rookie who hasn’t seen a till in their life

I paid £8 at Wembley for a burger that seemed to comprise a tramps insole served in a sanitary towel and garnished with kitten sick!!