hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catering at ER

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Catering at ER

Purchased a couple of what I thought would be tasty pastry delights in the form of Steak pies from the kiosk in the West Upper tonight as I thought the quality may have improved in quality from last season. I also thought catering was getting brought in house but maybe I just imagined reading that somewhere.

The Steak and Gravy Pies (aye right) are still honking! Still the same rock hard pastry on top you need a hammer and chisel to break into, still the same solid edge that burrows deep into to roof of your mouth drawing blood, still the same dried out filling that looks like pedigree chum that Rover wouldn't touch, the erse of the pies are still getting stuck to the foil tin and when you finally break through the outer shell, what they class as the "meat" is so hot you can get 3rd degree burns from it a foot away from your mouth. I found a small bit of bone in mine tonight as well as horrible gristley bits.

2 x steak and gravy pies () and 2 x coca colas stung me for £10.80p, shocking price.

Hibs fail badly when it comes to the catering in the stands at least in the West Upper anyway, great stuff on the pitch but crap from kiosks. C'mon Hibs a wee improvement in the catering department please.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 13-07-2018 at 02:29 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    £10 for 2 pies and cokes wouldn't be too bad if the quality was there.

The quality has always been poor though, and it's pretty much universally expected at football games that catering will be poor.

It's something that Hibs should look at, there is scope to lead the way with better quality food being available at games.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    £10 for 2 pies and cokes wouldn't be too bad if the quality was there.

The quality has always been poor though, and it's pretty much universally expected at football games that catering will be poor.

It's something that Hibs should look at, there is scope to lead the way with better quality food being available at games.
    In line with cinema or a gig but it needs to be good quality, you can't be serving poor quality for just be a you've a captive audience. So many clubs have had a good standard of catering for a while it's embarrassing ours is still poor (unless HC was just unlucky).

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    In line with cinema or a gig but it needs to be good quality, you can't be serving poor quality for just be a you've a captive audience. So many clubs have had a good standard of catering for a while it's embarrassing ours is still poor (unless HC was just unlucky).
    I agree. Which clubs have good catering though?

I've found it to be something done pretty poorly across the UK.
    Mon the Hibs.

Get something set up with Greggs. Everyone knows what they're getting

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Purchased a couple of what I thought would be tasty pastry delights in the form of Steak pies from the kiosk in the West Upper tonight as I thought the quality may have improved in quality from last season. I also thought catering was getting brought in house but maybe I just imagined reading that somewhere.

The Steak and Gravy Pies (aye right) are still honking! Still the same rock hard pastry on top you need a hammer and chisel to break into, still the same solid edge that burrows deep into to roof of your mouth drawing blood, still the same dried out filling that looks like pedigree chum that Rover wouldn't touch, the erse of the pies are still getting stuck to the foil tin and when you finally break through the outer shell, what they class as the "meat" is so hot you can get 3rd degree burns from it a foot away from your mouth. I found a small bit of bone in mine tonight as well as horrible gristley bits.

2 x steak and gravy pies () and 2 x coca colas stung me for £10.80p, shocking price.

Hibs fail badly when it comes to the catering in the stands at least in the West Upper anyway, great stuff on the pitch but crap from kiosks. C'mon Hibs a wee improvement in the catering department please.
    You should have just brought egg mayonnaise rolls with you.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Get something set up with Greggs. Everyone knows what they're getting
    Pish? Greggs isn’t even a step up from whats already there imo. Only difference is that it’s cheaper.

I’ve always wondered, why do people accept cold sausage rolls from Greggs? One of life’s enigmas
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 13-07-2018 at 06:18 AM.

The pies have been rank for years, what we currently get should only be served in the away stand on derby days.....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Surely a Scottish company like Baynes or Stephens would be able to cater matchdays? The quality is there, and they are well priced in the shops. Baynes steak slices are something else

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Best steak pies in Scotland in my opinion are at Hampden. I’ve given up on trying anything anywhere else now

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Also they were not selling small cups of coke.They would only sell big cups of thisIn spite of the board saying there was both sizes.Another rip off from the caterers in charge.Change badly needed for this service.

I ground hop round here and all are streets ahead of us.

Most do a Pie n Pint for £5.50 - £6.50, or Pie, Choc and Juice for £5

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Surely a Scottish company like Baynes or Stephens would be able to cater matchdays? The quality is there, and they are well priced in the shops. Baynes steak slices are something else

Excellent steak pies.

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875
    Agreed, how good is a steak bake from Stephens though!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    You should have just brought egg mayonnaise rolls with you.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    I don't understand why nothing has been done about this. Every now and again this comes up on here and we all go on about how bad the quality is and the price. The food is disgusting and way over priced. Can Tracey or Frank not do something about this. Can the Board of directors not come down for just 1 game and queue like us and taste what we get thrown at us instead of having their coffee and tasty steak pies they get served upstairs. I know people will say just don't buy it and they will soon make changes, that's hard for some people who maybe have come straight from work or just not had time to eat elsewhere or who have kids and family with them. Plus why should we do that, we should have quality food and fair prices like what some other (not all) grounds do. its been promised by hibs for some time now and nothing changes its a joke. They say come to Easter road and enjoy the Family Experience but don't care what go's on at the Kiosks. All I'm asking is for each member of the board to come down at half time and split up and queue around different kiosks and experience what we have to put up with. Surly that's not to much to ask Tracey and Frank to put forward.

Left by mutual consent!
    I rarely eat at the football.

My cousin is over from Germany however so we had a quick bite and he described at the worst food he's ever had at a sporting event. He got a pizza which looked awful and I got a pie that was so bad I binned it.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Pish? Greggs isn’t even a step up from whats already there imo. Only difference is that it’s cheaper.

I’ve always wondered, why do people accept cold sausage rolls from Greggs? One of life’s enigmas
    Don't get me wrong, Greggs is **** but got to be better than what we have. Who can argue with £2 for a bacon roll and cup of coffee!!

First Team Breakthrough Bob1875's Avatar
    Fiver for a coke and chips FFS. On another note I was a tenner for a full pizza from la favorita before the game. Quite tasty 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    I don't understand why nothing has been done about this. Every now and again this comes up on here and we all go on about how bad the quality is and the price. The food is disgusting and way over priced. Can Tracey or Frank not do something about this. Can the Board of directors not come down for just 1 game and queue like us and taste what we get thrown at us instead of having their coffee and tasty steak pies they get served upstairs. I know people will say just don't buy it and they will soon make changes, that's hard for some people who maybe have come straight from work or just not had time to eat elsewhere or who have kids and family with them. Plus why should we do that, we should have quality food and fair prices like what some other (not all) grounds do. its been promised by hibs for some time now and nothing changes its a joke. They say come to Easter road and enjoy the Family Experience but don't care what go's on at the Kiosks. All I'm asking is for each member of the board to come down at half time and split up and queue around different kiosks and experience what we have to put up with. Surly that's not to much to ask Tracey and Frank to put forward.

It's been very bad for a long time.

The quality of food - the prices - the service are all terrible and not Hibs class.

Along with the sound system / tannoy at ER this has been an issue for a long time and neglected.

Fully agree it's to do with the match day experience but but fall short of the money we pay to attend.

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    I went to the Linlithgow rose game and got 2 x steak pies and a cold can of coke and got change from a fiver. The pies were quality with chucks of steak and a lovely gravy (not like the dried up dog food in the pies we serve)

How can most other clubs do this and make a profit? or is it the case we can but Hibs don't give a sh*t

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    I’m sure they read it, so will be interesting to get some sort of update
    This has been going for far too long at ER, and to be fair, at most football Grounds in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’m sure they read it, so will be interesting to get some sort of update
    This has been going for far too long at ER, and to be fair, at most football Grounds in Scotland
    It can't be that hard to get better quality food, add in some healthier options and better organisation than they have at ER?

My kids were playing on the pitch at Dunfermline last season and they have Stephens the baker's in the kiosk.
    I realise there's considerably less people to serve at East End but shows that yes, it can be done.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    All the pies are terrible at Easter Road - soggy bottom!

The coke went off last night and me n laddie missed flos penalty lol grub good tho

The pies must be the biggest selling food so you would think they'd at least make an effort to sort them out. They obviously know it is rank seeing as they were selling foods from the pizza fans outside last season. I'd also question whether the people saying the catering side of things will improve every year have actually ever tasted anything from it.

The pies were cold last night in Main Stand. No hot ones available at all. How does that work? Do they not have electricity to heat them up?

Server couldn't work the till. First attempt at two pies and a tray of what was supposed to be chips came up at £ 10 odds. When I challenged it she was confused. I asked her to multiply £2.40 ( the price of each item) by three but that was beyond her. Eventually she got the till to agree with me but took fully five minutes. No wonder they have long queues.

Go to any junior ground and you'll get a couple of lovely hot pies and a cup of bovril/tea and get change of a fiver served by someone who is right on the button.

Hibs and/or the catering company need to get their act together or do they just look on us as mug punters to be fleeced?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i saw a seagull spitting out a bit of pie, it should be thankful it didn't get robbed by a kiosk till

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I'm in the FF Upper and usually get coffees pre match, pies and bovril in the cold weather.

You can't go much wrong with pouring hot water into the pre-made bovril or coffee, but the pies are usually poor to 'all right' but rarely good.

However, the kids serving are always polite and even wished me a "Enjoy the game" last night after my purchase.