hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Shaw

Oil Shaw

Looking forward to see how he progresses this year, certainly appears stronger and sharper.

Missed a couple of really good chances last couple of games but with a bit of match sharpness and confidence he will burry those. Always gets in good positions and his movement is very good.

Brilliant finish on his weaker foot last night

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking forward to see how he progresses this year, certainly appears stronger and sharper.

Missed a couple of really good chances last couple of games but with a bit of match sharpness and confidence he will burry those. Always gets in good positions and his movement is very good.

Look forward to seeing more of him again. His hold up play last night was a bit better than it was at times last year and he looked a bit stronger. Could do with being a bit more lethal in front of goal but saying that his finish last night was top drawer.

Def should have squared the ball for Murray last night. Progressing well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Aye, he was looking slick. ;-)

Cracking goal , looks like he works well with Flo . The most exciting young striker weve had since the Riordan/Fletcher days .

His goal was a cracker.

The one on one he missed was a stinker.

He surprised and impressed me last year, looking forward to seeing more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Def should have squared the ball for Murray last night. Progressing well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And the one on Sunday he should’ve squared also. All well and good being greedy as a centre forward but when your partner has an open goal you’ve got to get your head up. Hopefully that’s drilled into him though.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    And the one on Sunday he should’ve squared also. All well and good being greedy as a centre forward but when your partner has an open goal you’ve got to get your head up. Hopefully that’s drilled into him though.
    The main thing is that he's finding himself in these positions, the goals will come.

I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting into positions for great chances.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Coaching Staff
    The one first half from SJM's pass ? I think he was quite right to have a shot on that occasion as he was through on goal and drawing the keeper out. Sometimes a striker does, as you say, need to play with their head up - but he is getting into great scoring positions and I'd be more worried if he wasn't scoring or being too hesitant in front of goal. One thing with Oli is he is a really confident lad who never allows his head to go down when he misses the target. His goal last night was excellent and his all round game is coming on no end.

You could also argue Flo could have slipped players in against Blackburn however he opted three times to shoot from distance outside the box. It's striker's mindset to score goals and often it's at the expense of that 'obvious' pass.

Shaw needs to believe he’s a first team player. I think he needs a bit more arrogance on the pitch.

I’m not sure about a partnership with Kamberi. They both like the ball into feet. I think we need someone up there who can stretch teams.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Cracking goal , looks like he works well with Flo . The most exciting young striker weve had since the Riordan/Fletcher days .
    Love Oli but he's a bit to go to be as good as Cummings at same age.

Left by mutual consent!
    Cummings?

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Love Oli but he's a bit to go to be as good as Cummings at same age.
    Cummings came from hearts youth system . Also i disagree , Cummings didnt score in his 1st 20 games , that wasnt terribly exciting . Shaw scored a few in his 1st 20 including goals at hampden , against Celtic etc .. Plus a goal in his 1st european game

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Aye, he was looking slick. ;-)
    You clearly know the drill. I thought his goal was a good platform for the rest of the season, to put it crudely.

If he is to be a back up striker this season, then that's good news, because he'll have improved and he was a decent back up last year.

Him and Simon Murray as Back up to Flo and Jamie Mac would be a huge improvement on Stokes, Murray, Shaw and Davey.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The main thing is that he's finding himself in these positions, the goals will come.

I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting into positions for great chances.
    Yup. Also, a lot to that decision making comes with experience and maturity. He will learn when to shoot and when to pass. If he keeps improving then we'll have some player on our hands.

Not quite ready to be our number two striker, but definitely has bags of potential. Having the reserve league back will help him tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    You clearly know the drill. I thought his goal was a good platform for the rest of the season, to put it crudely.
    It's disappointing that people aren't exactly pumping out the puns, but fortunately I have a good few more in the pipeline.

Great potential I really like him. I am happy to have him as a back up striker, off the bench in most games this season and go from there.

Simon Murray needs punted he's not up to scratch and Oli has definitely jumped above him in position.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Great potential I really like him. I am happy to have him as a back up striker, off the bench in most games this season and go from there.

Simon Murray needs punted he's not up to scratch and Oli has definitely jumped above him in position.
    I won't be too sad if he ends up going, but SM could be well utilised off the bench in games that we are winning. Is a great outball for us, and runs the channels really well. I don't think many defenders would enjoy him running at them.

He just can't take the ball into feet when we play our normal game, first touch is too often off, and too much breaks down at him. But he has very useful attributes all the same.

With a name like Oil he might have chances of a call up to the Saudi team.

Might even get a game for their under 16s!!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    With a name like Oil he might have chances of a call up to the Saudi team.

Might even get a game for their under 16s!!!
    Standard practice for them.

I think he’d be world class if he had his own song.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I think he’d be world class if he had his own song.

Oil be there?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Cummings came from hearts youth system . Also i disagree , Cummings didnt score in his 1st 20 games , that wasnt terribly exciting . Shaw scored a few in his 1st 20 including goals at hampden , against Celtic etc .. Plus a goal in his 1st european game

JC might have come from Hearts but Hibs gave him his opportunity.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Cummings played 18 games in total during his first season, many of which were appearances off the bench for an appalling side. Cummings was signed from juvenile football, made his first team debut at barely 18 and went on to have a huge impact at ER.

Ollie has a long way to go before being compared to a cup winning hero.

So is it now official that his nickname is "Slick" That reminds me so much of the IKEA Athens days for some reason.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    He's all the crudentials to succeed.
    Mon the Hibs.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    All too often our strikers have a chance to lay off the ball for an open goal but choose to go themselves. Something I'd like each striker to be more conscious of.

Am I right in thinking moments before Murray could've played him through but opted to go himself and ultimately lost the ball? I remember thinking at the time the only reason he hasn't played across is because he felt Simon done the same.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Cummings played 18 games in total during his first season, many of which were appearances off the bench for an appalling side. Cummings was signed from juvenile football, made his first team debut at barely 18 and went on to have a huge impact at ER.

Ollie has a long way to go before being compared to a cup winning hero.

Finally a bit of sense.

I’m excited about Oli Shaw, but the constant revisionism on here does my nut in.

Regardless of what he does or doesn’t do in the rest of his career, JC was great for us. To say otherwise is ridiculous.