hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    I should never be disappointed at us winning a game 6-1 but tonight I strangely felt I was.

Yes 6 goals!! Excellent. Next week should be a formality.
    2 attempts of the bar and post.
    3 or 4 excellent saves from their keeper.

But at times we tried to play like Barcelona. Great interplay up to and into the box but final finish (after Flo was subbed) was not clinical enough imo.

And to cap it all, our opponents have their customary 2 shots at goal (from free kicks) and yep you’ve guessed, they score with 1 of their 2 shots. The other on target but decent save from Bogdan.

Am I being overly harsh? Should I really be looking on the game as a pre season warm up? - which is what it turned out to be.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about Slivka?
    Carried and used the ball well. I’ve always been a fan of him though and think he’ll go on to have a really good season for us.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    What about Slivka?
    What about him? Slivka done fine without doing anything spectacular. A bit like what I’ve said he offered last season.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 12-07-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I should never be disappointed at us winning a game 6-1 but tonight I strangely felt I was.

Yes 6 goals!! Excellent. Next week should be a formality.
    2 attempts of the bar and post.
    3 or 4 excellent saves from their keeper.

But at times we tried to play like Barcelona. Great interplay up to and into the box but final finish (after Flo was subbed) was not clinical enough imo.

And to cap it all, our opponents have their customary 2 shots at goal (from free kicks) and yep you’ve guessed, they score with 1 of their 2 shots. The other on target but decent save from Bogdan.

Am I being overly harsh? Should I really be looking on the game as a pre season warm up? - which is what it turned out to be.
    You are being harsh.

It wasn’t brilliant, and we weren’t playing against anything, but you need to remember how early in the season it is.

Could quite easily have scored 10 tonight. And we’ll add to the squad as well.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Personally Im disappointed my Hibs Subbuteo team beat these viking wannabees 16-0 last night. NSI played in a Peru kit as I didnt have an NSI Subbuteo team. Even Marv got a hatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    What about him? Slivka done fine without doing anything spectacular. A bit like what I’ve said he offered last season.
    We’ll never agree. I thought he was the main man tonight.

We’ll never agree. I thought he was the main man tonight.
    Each entitled to our own opinion. A good few folk on the thread on the private board thought the same as me, I’ve not really read through this one.

Each entitled to our own opinion. A good few folk on the thread on the private board thought the same as me, I’ve not really read through this one.
    A few others also thought he was good.

A few others also thought he was good.
    I don’t doubt that, I’m pointing it out because I’ve got a feeling you think I’ve got some personal vendetta against him, however it wasn’t just me that seen his performance the way I did.

Thought Slivka was as good as anyone tonight. Good pass for the penalty and the Shaw chance. Always plays with his head up. Lovely first touch.

I think if he starts the season well we need to get him on a new deal because we'll end up losing him.

Early in the game both Mallan and Slivka understandably looked as if they were trying to figure out where they were expected to be and what their roles were.

However both are new to the team in practical terms and definitely new to each other. As the game went on they began to get a better understanding of each others play.

We seemed to start with Whittaker holding and both Slivka and Mallan in front of him. Then when Swanson came on it seemed that both dropped back and Danny played in the hole. The final variation was Marv into a holding role, Swanson and Mallan central midfield and Slivka pushed to right wing back.

The management are still experimenting with the players to see what works best.

Mallan and Slivka are not McGinn and McGeouch but they are decent quality players who will, hopefully, gel together. I thought that there were signs tonight that they could be very effective. To expect anyone to just come in and be a readymade replacement for either of the 2 best midfielders that we have had in a generation is asking way too much.

Btw, don't see either Dylan or Super scoring a peach of a free kick like Mallan did.

I don’t doubt that, I’m pointing it out because I’ve got a feeling you think I’ve got some personal vendetta against him, however it wasn’t just me that seen his performance the way I did.
    I remember reading a couple of posters talking about his perceived awkward running style and I’m not sure if you were one of the two. I think
    Slivka moves very smoothly and looks like he’s strolling it. I’ve never seen him look awkward at all and really not sure where that observation came from. I still reckon as he gets a run of games - something he’s not had yet - he’ll show his class. I’m hoping he’ll win you over.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    You are being harsh.

It wasn’t brilliant, and we weren’t playing against anything, but you need to remember how early in the season it is.

Could quite easily have scored 10 tonight. And we’ll add to the squad as well.
    Yeah fair dos. I am being overly critical.
    I think that’s what’s irked me most. Still doesn’t hide the fact we should have scored 10 especially as we were up against what turned out to be a poor team and them playing with only 10 men for an hour.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I remember reading a couple of posters talking about his perceived awkward running style and I’m not sure if you were one of the two. I think
    Slivka moves very smoothly and looks like he’s strolling it. I’ve never seen him look awkward at all and really not sure where that observation came from. I still reckon as he gets a run of games - something he’s not had yet - he’ll show his class. I’m hoping he’ll win you over.
    Observation over Slivka's awkward style with the ball is made by quite a few fans. Not sure why pointing out an awkward running style is such a bad thing. I was one of the posters that pointed it out, it wasn't a dig at him but he does sometimes take touches that are either too close to hit feet or too far away and it makes his strides and movement seem awkward at times. Plenty decent footballers have "funny" running styles with the ball though.

I like Slivka, we still need to see more from him though, more game time should help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Observation over Slivka's awkward style with the ball is made by quite a few fans. Not sure why pointing out an awkward running style is such a bad thing. I was one of the posters that pointed it out, it wasn't a dig at him but he does sometimes take touches that are either too close to hit feet or too far away and it makes his strides and movement seem awkward at times. Plenty decent footballers have "funny" running styles with the ball though.

I like Slivka, we still need to see more from him though, more game time should help with that.
    I just don’t see it. I think his movement looks effortless to be honest. I also think he has a fantastic touch. If you’re talking awkward running styles, they don’t come more awkward than SJM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    After Malmo 6-0 & Rosenberg 9-1.
    Did we not beat F.C. Besa 7-1 in the 70’s?

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I just don’t see it. I think his movement looks effortless to be honest. I also think he has a fantastic touch. If you’re talking awkward running styles, they don’t come more awkward than SJM.
    He has an awkward running technique as well, McGinn looks like he goes through some sort of transformation process when he goes to sprint. His neck disappears and his shoulders go up to his ears. Slivka looks awkward, McGinn does as well. McGeouch is the only effortless mover we've had in midfield for many years in my opinion, I miss him...

Slivka is an odd one for me.

There is definitely a player in there. I think we need to figure out what his role in the team is. He’s not going to sit deep and dictate the game but he’s not going to play further up the pitch either. He looks best for me when he gets the ball and gets at the opposition (like for the penalty and chances he set up for Shaw) but I don’t think the other side of his game is good enough to be the box to box kind of player McGinn is.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    McGeouch is the only effortless mover we've had in midfield for many years in my opinion, I miss him...
    Might sound daft when we won 6-1 but you weren’t the only one who missed him tonight.

First half we gave the ball away so many times it was unreal. It’s ok when you’re playing against that kind of team as you just get it right back. Getting someone in to play his role is essential.

Slivka strolled it tonight, he's about as complete a midfielder we have. Started off as a sort of box2box mid, then switched to the deep playmaker ala Dylan, then playing in the hole and finally as a right midfielder. He has a lovely touch and play with his head up at all times, he'll only get better.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I’m very happy with the result which is what I was wanting the most. Finish the tie off in the 1st leg which we’ve now done. The opposition were part timers and you could easily tell but you can only play against what is in front of you. Mallan & Kamberi for me were the standouts. Still need a few more players in but I trust NL & the recruitment team to bring the right ones in that will add something to the team.

It seems daft to say it after winning 6 - 1 but for me there still seems to be a spark missing at the moment. Just as in the Blackburn game we seemed a little disjointed and even slightly unorganised at times … we gave the ball away far too much and against a better team we would have been made to suffer far more than we were last night. Also everything seemed a bit laboured with not enough movement in the opposition half to enable us to play faster and more telling passes.

Still … its early days, the likes of Mallan and Slivka will need time to figure each other out and we will no doubt bring in some more new faces as well. IMO we could certainly do with a bit more physical presence in midfield, but from a guy with a bit more skill than big Marv, we also need another striker and a left winger.

A crowd of over 12,000 at this time of year and considering the opposition was excellent …. lets hope we can get the team to gel effectively in the games to come and keep folk coming back with decent performances. Even if we are apparently out of sight in this tie if I was Neil Lennon I would play the strongest team possible in the 2nd leg, because I still think we need to work on our organisation, communication and upping the pace we play at as a unit.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    It seems daft to say it after winning 6 - 1 but for me there still seems to be a spark missing at the moment. Just as in the Blackburn game we seemed a little disjointed and even slightly unorganised at times … we gave the ball away far too much and against a better team we would have been made to suffer far more than we were last night. Also everything seemed a bit laboured with not enough movement in the opposition half to enable us to play faster and more telling passes.

Still … its early days, the likes of Mallan and Slivka will need time to figure each other out and we will no doubt bring in some more new faces as well. IMO we could certainly do with a bit more physical presence in midfield, but from a guy with a bit more skill than big Marv, we also need another striker and a left winger.

A crowd of over 12,000 at this time of year and considering the opposition was excellent …. lets hope we can get the team to gel effectively in the games to come and keep folk coming back with decent performances. Even if we are apparently out of sight in this tie if I was Neil Lennon I would play the strongest team possible in the 2nd leg, because I still think we need to work on our organisation, communication and upping the pace we play at as a unit.
    Given these games are pretty much replacing our pre season friendlies (calendar wise obviously much more important) I think a strong line up but a few substitutions early ish in the second half are a guarantee. A few replacements for starting line up, such as Swanson starting, for those who you could argue should be pushing for a starting slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre Hibee View Post
    Did we not beat F.C. Besa 7-1 in the 70’s?
    We did, the round before the Sporting game.

I’m sure I read that we can’t play anyone in the second leg that wasn’t signed by the first leg deadline, is that correct?

Also, how many bookings does it take to get suspended? If it’s only 2 (surely not) then we’d be aswell testing Flo and Daz next week.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    We did, the round before the Sporting game.
    The round after Sporting 😉

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gramskiwood View Post
    I don't know about that you were half in my seat.
    Aye the guy in my second seat was pushing me over into yours 😝 bloody cheek buying a ticket for the seat my right arse cheek uses for free!!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Anyone else notice we always seem to play teams in yellow in Europe in more recent times: AEK Athens, Brondby, Vetra, Elfsborg and now adding both NSI Runavik and Asteras Tripoli to the list this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Anyone else notice we always seem to play teams in yellow in Europe in more recent times: AEK Athens, Brondby, Vetra, Elfsborg and now adding both NSI Runavik and Asteras Tripoli to the list this year.
    Sleep easy, I doubt there's anything ominous at work, probably just coincidence

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Runavik's away strip is all green so they had to wear their home strip.