hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Best razors?

Left by mutual consent!

Best razors?

I've always been a blade man (never enjoyed using electric razors) and just wondering what folk find best? Forgot my trusty Gillette Sensor when away recently and bought a Harry's razor as a stand-in. Found it a bit strange with the 'flat' blades rather than an angled blade but it may just require getting used to.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always been a blade man (never enjoyed using electric razors) and just wondering what folk find best? Forgot my trusty Gillette Sensor when away recently and bought a Harry's razor as a stand-in. Found it a bit strange with the 'flat' blades rather than an angled blade but it may just require getting used to.
    Ive something similar with Bold King..Really good value, blades are excellent..TBH I dont shave that much as I've stuble/beard but these work well when I do need one.

Try a double edged blade in a razor. These take longer to shave and more passes but seem to be better on your face. I have 100s of blades if you want a sample set sending let me know.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Harry’s is excellent.

Prior to that used a Bulldog one which I also liked.

Worst razor I’ve ever had was a King of Shaves.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Can’t really see past my Wilkinson Sword disposables for a wet shave.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Try a double edged blade in a razor. These take longer to shave and more passes but seem to be better on your face. I have 100s of blades if you want a sample set sending let me know.
    This is the way that I shave. Blades can work out as low as 10p each.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I alternate depending on how I'm feeling, just now I've just been using electric clippers, I also have a double edge safety razor which I like, but the best thing I've found in ages is Aldi's own make 5 blade razor, my dad bought me one as he was really impressed with it, cannot fault it at all, great shave at any length and the blades seem to last longer and a fraction of the price of Gillette, Wilkinson Sword etc for replacement blades too

Aldi's own brand are very good and bloody cheap.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m also a Harry’s man ..top quality at a decent price

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This is the way that I shave. Blades can work out as low as 10p each.
    Me too (though I have a Gillette for travel and when I need to shave quickly).

I find Feather blades the best for double edged blades.

Another vote for a double edge safety razor.

It makes shaving feel like a treat.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gillette Mach 3. They're quite pricey but they last for weeks and are a pleasure to use.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Me too (though I have a Gillette for travel and when I need to shave quickly).

I find Feather blades the best for double edged blades.
    Working out the blade to razor combination is key to DE shaving as is setting aside the time for prep. When I travel without hold luggage I use a foil electric razor. For my skin type, pulling five blades acorss it on even one pass would be agony.

First Team Breakthrough
    I'd also used Gillette disposables and Braun electric shavers for the last 30 years or so. My father always used safety razors but I never fancied it. Seemed too old fashioned ;)

Well, last year I changed my mind. I was getting tired of the constant buying and the expense of the disposable blades. I bought myself a Merkur 23C safety razor and have used Merkur, Feather, and Gillette safety blades. Even though they're the cheapest, the Gillette ones still give a smooth shave. Feather ones are better though, but a little pricey. No matter what though, even if I took a new safety blade every day, it'd still be cheaper than the cost of disposable blades every year.

You're right about the technique. It's hard to forget old habits. I watched a few YouTube videos to help me along the way. My first attempts were a little rough but I'm much better now. No more newspaper stuck on my face :)

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Gillette Mach 3. They're quite pricey but they last for weeks and are a pleasure to use.
    Really? I'd always struggled to get a pack of 4 to last a month.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I just use a cheap Bic razor during the week, but at the weekends use a double edge razor, and bought 25 packets of 5 razors from Derby razors. I think it was about £12 for the lot. Seems a nice shave, and nothing beats a good clean sharp shave in my opinion.

Well maybe a good shi..

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I just use a cheap Bic razor during the week, but at the weekends use a double edge razor, and bought 25 packets of 5 razors from Derby razors. I think it was about £12 for the lot. Seems a nice shave, and nothing beats a good clean sharp shave in my opinion.

Well maybe a good shi..
    The 4 Sh’s - the makings of a perfect lazy morning

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    I've been using the Philips Oneblade for about 4 years now. Wouldn't go back to any of the razor blade variations

I find any twin blade absolutely useless as I don't shave every day, rather waiting until it gets a bit itchy before bothering. The gap between the blades gets jammed full of shavings and is then useless unless you beat the living daylights out of it on the edge of the sink. I use bic throw away blades - cheap but effective.

Changed from Gillette to Harry’s and won’t be going back. Far better, closer, smoother shave for a lot less pennies! Can’t recommend highly enough!

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Harry’s is excellent.

Prior to that used a Bulldog one which I also liked.

Worst razor I’ve ever had was a King of Shaves.
    I tried Harry's and found them tricky to angle around the nose/mouth. Ended up cutting myself which I hadn't done in years. With the additional blades they're decent for ensuring a smooth cheek but the blade head seems too wide to work around the areas which require more finesse.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I got the Phillips One Blade recently, i am lucky/unlucky that i don’t have a great deal of facial hair growth so i generally keep it at a fairly short stubble rather than either clean shaven or a full beard.

It’s excellent for that, quick and easy with minimum fuss. Not sure how it would be to go clean shaven but to key things tidy, it’s perfect.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net