hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's laughable and pathetic at the same time watching people north of the border buy into this idea that Southgate and England are the new galacticos of world football and world domination is only a matter of time.
    I've not read or heard that from any source, north of the border. If that's what you're "watching", you must be going out of your way to try and find it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I didn't really enjoy Keane at the end.

We give the English pundits pelters for getting carried away and for taking themselves too seriously.

They've had a good time, they've enjoyed the tournament and Wright was acknowledging the fact in a light-hearted way.

In the past they've driven me nuts and I'd have enjoyed their pain, but I didn't think they needed it or deserved it tonight.
    I thought Keane was correct in the point he was making though. Even if he was doing it for a reaction, and even if I do usually find him a bit of a kn0b

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I've not read or heard that from any source, north of the border. If that's what you're "watching", you must be going out of your way to try and find it.

Its called "building a straw man".

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    Croatia has a population of 4M, maybe Scotland should check out what Croatia are doing after Scotland get done laughing at England.
    We have beat them twice in the last 5 years.. England haven't

We have an OF-bias to player selection and managerial appointments .. and neither seems to work

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I thought Keane was correct in the point he was making though. Even if he was doing it for a reaction, and even if I do usually find him a bit of a kn0b
    I thought Keane was spot on, as long as Englandshire are celebrating losses like last night they'll never make it any further than that.

There's a lot of back patting going on in English football just now when the reality is they've absolutely blown the best chance they'll probably ever get to reach a world cup final. In this tremendous world cup they have managed to beat Panama, Tunisia, Sweden in 90 minutes and scrape past Columbia who were missing their best player.

England should have been more than capable of beating Croatia last night and one of the reasons they never IMO is down to the attitude Keane was referring to. Not only Keane though, i think Modric said something similar.

If England think they are on the cusp of something great they are in for a shock IMO as the French are just getting going, the Germans will come back stronger, the Italians and Dutch won't stay this bad forever and Croatia will get a huge boost from this world cup. You'd fancy Argentina and Brazil to sort their **** out at some point too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

I managed to find it by walking past 'Luckies' pub on Saturday, where the resident jambos were singing God Save the Queen, including the addition of "No Surrender". So, there is nonsense going on north of the border.

I'm sure the huns would have been up to something similar.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Please, for the love of humanity, we're not going to have to hear for 2-4 years that Southgate has somehow reinvented football by taking England to a round that any one of us on here could've done also?

It's laughable and pathetic at the same time watching people north of the border buy into this idea that Southgate and England are the new galacticos of world football and world domination is only a matter of time.
    Southgate took over a basket case. The starting eleven last night only had 5 players from Sam Allardyce's team that beat Slovakia and while a few subs were also involved he has brought in Pickford, Trippier and Maguire who were arguably the best English performers on the night. I think he is a decent guy who has done a good job with limited resources. It is easy to see that they over achieved, helped by a favourable draw, but I would have preferred to be on their run than sitting at home wondering if Scotland will ever play in a meaningful final again. One last thing I have no idea who you are or what levels you have reached in football management but I strongly doubt that you could have stepped into Big Sam's shoes and guided his Slovakia beaters to extra time in a World Cup semi final. If you actually could have maybe you should be dusting down your CV and getting it off to the SFA as you might just be who we have been looking for .

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I thought Keane was spot on, as long as Englandshire are celebrating losses like last night they'll never make it any further than that.

There's a lot of back patting going on in English football just now when the reality is they've absolutely blown the best chance they'll probably ever get to reach a world cup final. In this tremendous world cup they have managed to beat Panama, Tunisia, Sweden in 90 minutes and scrape past Columbia who were missing their best player.

England should have been more than capable of beating Croatia last night and one of the reasons they never IMO is down to the attitude Keane was referring to. Not only Keane though, i think Modric said something similar.

If England think they are on the cusp of something great they are in for a shock IMO as the French are just getting going, the Germans will come back stronger, the Italians and Dutch won't stay this bad forever and Croatia will get a huge boost from this world cup. You'd fancy Argentina and Brazil to sort their **** out at some point too.
    Teams will now raise their game against England in future tournaments. They had their chance, a huge chance and blew it. They won't get a better one. It was a once in a generation opportunity with the teams that went out. Almost freakish. It wont happen again.

I wouldn’t have minded if they had won it but I can’t be doing with the media.

Fair play to Southgate. He galvanised then and took them to the semi final of the World Cup. I’m sure he didn’t want the job and England didn’t want to give it to him?

There’s a point being made about England’s over reaction but the same must be said for the over reaction to the result from us Scots. It’s sad times when the only thing we celebrate these days is the failure of our closest rival instead of being able to celebrate our own success. It might be awhile before England ever get as close again to winning a major tournament but it might be even longer before Scotland actually qualify for a tourment.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I didn't really enjoy Keane at the end.

We give the English pundits pelters for getting carried away and for taking themselves too seriously.

They've had a good time, they've enjoyed the tournament and Wright was acknowledging the fact in a light-hearted way.

In the past they've driven me nuts and I'd have enjoyed their pain, but I didn't think they needed it or deserved it tonight.
    I do see where you're coming from Smartie, and agree with your point - although I still did enjoy Keane losing it a bit, as OTT as it was.

All the guys on the panel were magnanimous last night (including Keane immediately after the game), and Wright, Neville and Dixon were acting in good humour. No issue with them getting excited about where they got to and potentially winning it.

Perhaps Keano just thought that they spent too long praising the progress of getting to the semi (I wouldn't agree with him) - we know from his career, and his walkout from the Ireland WC squad, that he doesn't have much time for near misses.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    52 years and counting, and no i'm not talking about hertz failure to win the League Cup...that's even longer

@hibs.net private member
    I would not accept one word of criticism from Keane, from a man who ran away from his team mates in a World Cup finals

because he didn't like his hotel...

Not one fellow poster has mentioned this.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I would not accept one word of criticism from Keane, from a man who ran away from his team mates in a World Cup finals

I tend to find there's three sides to every story when it comes to things like that.

Without knowing all the details i don't think it's fair to dismiss all his opinions on all matters.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

Certainly wasn't because he didn't like the hotel. I've read Keane's autobiography, and he tells of a litany of things which demonstrated awful preparation from the Irish FA.

This article is more balanced than just RK's version though:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-ireland-exit

I personally didn't mention it as it wasn't relevant to me thinking he was accurate in what he said last night.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    Croatia has a population of 4M, maybe Scotland should check out what Croatia are doing after Scotland get done laughing at England.
    Countries like Croatia and Uruguay have smaller populations than us but tend to concentrate more of their effort on a single sport. Scotland does much better than other countries with similar populations at Rugby,Tennis, Athletics, Swimming, Cycling , Snooker, Darts, Judo, Bowls , Boxing and probably others that don't spring to mind. I think we do pretty well as a nation!

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    When we have players of the quality of Modric, Perisic, Rakitic and Mandzukic then we might have a chance.

The only player who is even remotely near that level is Andy Robertson. We are light years behind Croatia.
    That’s the spirit!

J

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    When we have players of the quality of Modric, Perisic, Rakitic and Mandzukic then we might have a chance.

The only player who is even remotely near that level is Andy Robertson. We are light years behind Croatia.
    That’s not my point though. It goes beyond talent. What makes them so much better than players available to us, especially when Scotland youth teams punch their weight, probably up to and including U-19 level? Something stunts their development. In my opinion it is a mix of poor player development (actual coaching, financial resources and physics resources), potentially poor lifestyle choices and a negative mindset of management within the SFA and the pro clubs. Managers constantly tell the press that we haven’t got the players, we are small country so can’t compete, etc. What message does that send out to the players? Imagine if your boss was constantly telling the papers that you are your workmates weren’t up to much and what effect that would have on you and your workmates. On the flip side, a bit of positivity can create a good team spirit, create more of a bond between the players and fans (see England under Southgate) which could compensate for the deficiencies in player development and lifestyle choice.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    That’s not my point though. It goes beyond talent. What makes them so much better than players available to us, especially when Scotland youth teams punch their weight, probably up to and including U-19 level? Something stunts their development. In my opinion it is a mix of poor player development (actual coaching, financial resources and physics resources), potentially poor lifestyle choices and a negative mindset of management within the SFA and the pro clubs. Managers constantly tell the press that we haven’t got the players, we are small country so can’t compete, etc. What message does that send out to the players? Imagine if your boss was constantly telling the papers that you are your workmates weren’t up to much and what effect that would have on you and your workmates. On the flip side, a bit of positivity can create a good team spirit, create more of a bond between the players and fans (see England under Southgate) which could compensate for the deficiencies in player development and lifestyle choice.
    On a more simplistic note i bet they don't pull down all the goal posts when the weather gets nice and kids want to play then build lots of all weather football pitches, lock the gates and not let kids play on them.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Thought keane was about to tell Wright to **** off there
    Wright is a slaverring numpty. You’d get more insight from a bloke on the street.

Now we know how much the lot on the BBC get paid, you have to say none of them are worth the money.