hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar

The Decline & Fall of Tika-Taka?

Oh I do hope so...

"Three teams have averaged more than 65 per cent possession at the 2018 World Cup: Spain (74.7 per cent), Germany (72.0 per cent) and Argentina (66.0 per cent). All three struggled in the group stage, and are now out of the competition."
    D. Telegraph.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I do hope so...

"Three teams have averaged more than 65 per cent possession at the 2018 World Cup: Spain (74.7 per cent), Germany (72.0 per cent) and Argentina (66.0 per cent). All three struggled in the group stage, and are now out of the competition."
    D. Telegraph.
    Absolutely with you on this one Dan. One of the most boring forms of football ever seen.

I’ve said it for ages, you can have all the possession you like but if the ball isn’t going forward or into the goal you aren’t going to win. Silly little triangle passes along the back 4 do nothing.

You can though still play good passing football but moving it quickly up the park. Belgium for me done this and the game last night was very good. Both playing passing football while trying to get up the park quickly.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I’ve said it for ages, you can have all the possession you like but if the ball isn’t going forward or into the goal you aren’t going to win. Silly little triangle passes along the back 4 do nothing.

You can though still play good passing football but moving it quickly up the park. Belgium for me done this and the game last night was very good. Both playing passing football while trying to get up the park quickly.
    At times the French movement of the ball was spellbinding I thought. The long, long slow passages in between I could have done without.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Goals change games.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Oh I do hope so...

D. Telegraph.
    Hear here.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post

Spain didn't exactly struggle with at as their central philosophy thought did they? Three consecutive tournaments, by far the most successful international side in my lifetime. And Barca weren't bad either.

I don't understand why people have to be so extreme and black and white. Tiki taka at the time was revolutionary, and changed the way football is played. When done well, it was as close to unbeatable as I've seen. When done badly, it is just, well, bad.

The same could be said of current vogue for quick counters, which when done well (Belgium, man city) are devastating, but when done badly are really just a defensive long ball game (hearts...😁).

The history of fitba shows that it constantly evolves. It is ten years since Barca and Spain started their ascendancy, so It is not surprising it has evolved and people work out how to counter it. The same as happened with all forms of football, from Scots inventing passing instead of dribbling, to catenaccio and offside traps, total football etc.

France last night were good, but were also very defensive and reactive. Tiki taka when done well, was the most proactive and positive style of football I have seen. And it was never about keeping possession for the sake of it.

Also worth pointing out that the teams mentioned above, Spain have just left an era of unparalleled domination, and Germany and Argentina contested the last world cup final.

When the German sides destroyed the Spanish sides a few years back in the champions league the decline started.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When the German sides destroyed the Spanish sides a few years back in the champions league the decline started.
    Agreed - they showed how to counter it effectively.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Absolutely with you on this one Dan. One of the most boring forms of football ever seen.
    the introduction of the "false number 9"

Sounds like I may be in the minority but I loved watching Barcelona and Spain 2008-2012 when Tika Taka peaked imo.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Sounds like I may be in the minority but I loved watching Barcelona and Spain 2008-2012 when Tika Taka peaked imo.

Tika Taka done right was amazing to watch at times. Guardiolas Barcelona team were just brilliant at their best.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Spain didn't exactly struggle with at as their central philosophy thought did they? Three consecutive tournaments, by far the most successful international side in my lifetime. And Barca weren't bad either.

I don't understand why people have to be so extreme and black and white. Tiki taka at the time was revolutionary, and changed the way football is played. When done well, it was as close to unbeatable as I've seen. When done badly, it is just, well, bad.

The same could be said of current vogue for quick counters, which when done well (Belgium, man city) are devastating, but when done badly are really just a defensive long ball game (hearts...😁).

The history of fitba shows that it constantly evolves. It is ten years since Barca and Spain started their ascendancy, so It is not surprising it has evolved and people work out how to counter it. The same as happened with all forms of football, from Scots inventing passing instead of dribbling, to catenaccio and offside traps, total football etc.

France last night were good, but were also very defensive and reactive. Tiki taka when done well, was the most proactive and positive style of football I have seen. And it was never about keeping possession for the sake of it.

Also worth pointing out that the teams mentioned above, Spain have just left an era of unparalleled domination, and Germany and Argentina contested the last world cup final.
    Saved me posting, agree with every word.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Tika Taka done right was amazing to watch at times. Guardiolas Barcelona team were just brilliant at their best.
    Without doubt the best football team I ever seen play, in my opinion. When they utterly dismantled Madrid and won 5-0, back when David Villa was there, is one of my favourite games of all time. Messi masterclass, Xavi on the scoresheet, Ramos losing the plot completely.

Harsh to write-off the style of play as boring because a few teams that keep possession have been knocked out of the World Cup. Not every team that holds onto the ball play 'Tiki-Taka'.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Without doubt the best football team I ever seen play, in my opinion. When they utterly dismantled Madrid and won 5-0, back when David Villa was there, is one of my favourite games of all time. Messi masterclass, Xavi on the scoresheet, Ramos losing the plot completely.

Harsh to write-off the style of play as boring because a few teams that keep possession have been knocked out of the World Cup. Not every team that holds onto the ball play 'Tiki-Taka'.
    Me too, definitely the best team I have watched in my lifetime. Can't forget about Puyol at centre half, the guy was immense.

One game from that Barcelona era that I'll always reference was the Champions League final against Man United at Wembley, where Barca won 3-1. But the score line didn't really highlight the gulf on the sides. Rio Ferdinand done an interview on BT Sport talking about that game talking how he was never close enough to Messi to even give him a kick.

Having possession above 65% does not mean a side is playing tiki taka.
    To say that the sides mentioned at this world cup (Germany,Argentina,Spain) played tiki taka and for them to be held up as proof that that system has been found out isn't right imo. The levels Spain, Barcelona (08-12) achieved were phenomenal but they also had phenomenal players who were capable of playing that style to the point where they were basically untouchable. I agree that it was eventually countered but that also coincided with the break up of those sides with new players and managers who couldn't live up to the previous dominance. Passing for passing sake with no creativity and purpose is dull and easy to defend against, that's why those countries got papped out early doors, not because they supposedly played tiki taka.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Was that Jose's first match in charge against Barcelona? Madrid were unbeaten, at the top.....

I recall thinking at the time "Simply the best game I have ever seen". Was 5 going on 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8wOjk0D3Uhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8wOjk0D3U

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Was that Jose's first match in charge against Barcelona? Madrid were unbeaten, at the top.....

I recall thinking at the time "Simply the best game I have ever seen". Was 5 going on 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8wOjk0D3Uhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8wOjk0D3U
    That's the one Still thoroughly enjoy the highlights every time they appear on the wee sky sports programmes to this day.

Great post! At its peak, Tika-Taka was incredible and was never about keeping the ball just for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Great post! At its peak, Tika-Taka was incredible and was never about keeping the ball just for the sake of it.

Fair point.

Maybe we need another name for the "pat it about at the back until we all fall asleep" style of football that evolved from Tika-Taka?

Any suggestions?

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    That's the one Still thoroughly enjoy the highlights every time they appear on the wee sky sports programmes to this day.
    Probably one of the greatest ever games (non Hibs) I saw, was simply a masterclass in football and will be a game I remember for the rest of my life, it was that good.

Fair point.

Maybe we need another name for the "pat it about at the back until we all fall asleep" style of football that evolved from Tika-Taka?

Any suggestions?
    The English Premier League

Fair point.

Any suggestions?

Mowbray-ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Mowbray-ball?
    Stubbs-ball. McCoist "I thought we were playing Barcelona" after the Petrofac Cup. Although the next game against them, (3-1?), we had a good mix. tika-taka and quick final balls to Malonga/Cummings.

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Stubbs-ball. McCoist "I thought we were playing Barcelona" after the Petrofac Cup. Although the next game against them, (3-1?), we had a good mix. tika-taka and quick final balls to Malonga/Cummings.

Yeah, there were a few games like that. I think I prefer the more direct style favoured by Lennon.

Fair point.

Any suggestions?

Ticka-Tocka?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Correct.

Gamer IDs

Fair point.

Any suggestions?
    ****ty patter? The play in Spain is mainly rather plain? Diva Espana? Boreusrepublik Deutschland? Don't play a false No 9 for me Argentina?That's all I've got.

Glad to see the back of it. I always found it monotonous to watch. It seemed to work quite well though, until it suddenly didn't.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Great post. Couldnt agree more.

When Spain beat Italy in the 2012 Euros i felt it was as close to football to perfection as youre likely to see.

Time moves on though and coaches and players work out to counter the tactics.

Thats where Spain have gone wrong. No plan B, just stubbornly sticking to that style.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Genuinely anyone who didn’t enjoy the football Spain and Barcelona played between 2008-2012 and saying they’re glad to see the back of it is away with the fairies. Mental.

The two greatest sides you’ll ever see, club and country. If you don’t enjoy watching that then I’d suggest finding a different sport.