hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 429

Thread: England Semi

  1. #31
    I'm quite pleased to see things like shops having plans in place to close early if England reach the final. It's a pretty major event and it's good to see employers actually considering their staff albeit there is likely a realisation they won't be too busy anyway.

    We had a family event at the weekend and a few of the people attending were English. They were quite obviously excited about their chances after seeing their team beat Sweden relatively comfortably; it's a first WC semi final in nearly 3 decades, you'd have to be a pretty miserable ******* not to be excited. Of course it could all come crashing down but I can't imagine people in Brussels, Paris or Zagreb are any less excited right now and every single side has every right to believe they can go all the way now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,879
    My employer has announced everyone gets the day off on Monday if England win.

    More than happy to support them :)

  4. #33
    'It's coming home' is up there with '#letsgo' and 'goingfor55' in the annoying stakes.

  5. #34
    First Team Regular darwenhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Darwen Lancs
    Age
    50
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really Really Unbearable. Trust me.
    Aye unbearable and on top of that I have to contend with Blackburn beating us on Sunday
    My youngest refused to go to school yesterday

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    'It's coming home' is up there with '#letsgo' and 'goingfor55' in the annoying stakes.
    I don't know. "It's coming home" is mainly used in an ironic sense which I quite like. Everyone knows it won't happen.

  7. #36
    Testimonial Due we are hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know. "It's coming home" is mainly used in an ironic sense which I quite like. Everyone knows it won't happen.
    I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    19,861
    In all fairness, I think they've done very well.


    However, Belgium are going to win the tournament.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's becoming a bit nauseating, the media (BBC are the worst for this) constantly referring to England as "The Three Lions" - when did this become a thing?

    Also noticed a fair few stories about English fans rampaging around their own towns after England wins - it's reassuring to see some things never change. I hope they lose to Croatia, but it doesn't matter, as they would get horses in the final by either France or Belgium anyway.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Wait until they lose (please).

  10. #39
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter
    Doesn't make us any less pathetic at football though, does it?

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member vince1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Restalrig
    Posts
    4,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's becoming a bit nauseating, the media (BBC are the worst for this) constantly referring to England as "The Three Lions" - when did this become a thing?

    Also noticed a fair few stories about English fans rampaging around their own towns after England wins - it's reassuring to see some things never change. I hope they lose to Croatia, but it doesn't matter, as they would get horses in the final by either France or Belgium anyway.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge )


    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    3,291
    The best side they have beaten in 90 minutes is an average Swedish team. I actually think they have done quite well and the manager and team all seem fairly likeable but I genuinely don't think they will win it as they don't have enough quality overall.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,614
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge )
    Was taught exactly this at primary school, three leopards couchant.

  14. #43
    They've played pretty well and are a good team but the fact is that they've managed to get to this stage without playing a decent team(Belgium game discounted as both were trying to lose that one). Just makes all the fawning over everything the players do a little more unbearable. At least if they were to win it they'll have to have beaton 2 good sides in the last 2 games. Glad we've got Hibs to take the mind off of it if they do it though

  15. #44
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    kirkcaldy
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter
    They have a very good chance of winning it & yes some do believe it's a given.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The line is in the song, but the England team have never been referred to as "The Three Lions" prior to this tournament.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Of course they have
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,925
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter
    Whatís wrong with believing you can win it?
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  18. #47
    Promising Youngster Father Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Capital
    Posts
    74
    Can this be moved to elsewhere due to NHC

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge )
    Some info on this (I must get out more).

    The English FA have stated that the three lions come from the standard carried into battle by English Kings. Henry 1 (known as the Lion Of England) had one lion on his standard then added another when marrying a wife with a lion on her family crest. Henry 11 added a third lion for the same reason and Richard 1 carried the 3 lions on his standard which showed 3 gold lions on a red background and this then appeared on all future Royal coats of arms. The FA decide that it was fitting for this to be part of the team badge and a slightly different one for the Cricket team.

    Some historians speculate that lions were not known in the time of Henry 1 etc. but history shows that Henry 1 was known as the Lion of England which would have been extremely difficult if lions were not known. The QI programme stated that some historians believed that they were leopards or another similar sounding name but if lions were not known why would leopards be known? They both come from Africa.

    The bottom line here is surely that if they have been called lions and believed to be lions for all these years what is the problem?
    Last edited by gloryhunter; 10-07-2018 at 02:21 PM.

  20. #49
    Testimonial Due we are hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't make us any less pathetic at football though, does it?
    I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They have a very good chance of winning it & yes some do believe it's a given.
    They won't win it though. That's the bottom line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatís wrong with believing you can win it?
    Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still unlikely they will.

  21. #50
    Coaching Staff Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not been this nervous over a semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain!
    I just spat irn bru over the steering wheel

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    mayfield
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatís wrong with believing you can win it?
    Tbh you have been overconfident of winning every tournament you have entered after 66 .
    All this ďitís coming home pissss ď stinks of arrogance akin to how most Germans come across.
    We the Scots first invented football 😜
    Yes you have very good chance to get to the final , but letís be honest, you have not beat a decent team yet .
    Hibs /Scotland fans can win and lose with a bit class . The same cannot be said of England fans .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

  23. #52
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.


    They won't win it though. That's the bottom line.


    Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as 1. they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still 2. unlikely they will.

    1. How many? have you done a poll? what is the count? Pure propaganda.
    2. You're still not sure then?

  24. #53
    Commited Shareholder Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,586
    I'm down south now and it's really horrible. Unbearable. Full of ****s.

    And the football isn't helping either.

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not been this nervous over a semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain!

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tbh you have been overconfident of winning every tournament you have entered after 66 .
    All this ďitís coming home pissss ď stinks of arrogance akin to how most Germans come across.
    We the Scots first invented football 😜
    Yes you have very good chance to get to the final , but letís be honest, you have not beat a decent team yet .
    Hibs /Scotland fans can win and lose with a bit class . The same cannot be said of England fans .

    The poster actually asked what was wrong in believing you can win it? You did not answer that.

  27. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. How many? have you done a poll? what is the count? Pure propaganda.
    2. You're still not sure then?
    Nobody I have spoken to around the Midlands believes it's a given. They Hope and believe that England will win, but no one I've spoken to has said other than "here's hoping".

  28. #57
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,676
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    We really are a bitter bunch.

    The ďItís coming homeĒ stuff is just a bit of hopeful fun. Donít get me wrong I think itíll be a laugh when they lose, but some people are a bit OTT.

  29. #58
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.


    They won't win it though. That's the bottom line.


    Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still unlikely they will.
    Your enemies failure doesn't make you a success.
    If you get off on other people's disappointment, that's up to you.

  30. #59
    England fans saying they are going to win are no different to the balloons on here who thought all we had to do to beat Hearts at Tynecastle was to turn up.

  31. #60
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course they have
    I've no recollection of them ever being referred to as that, but I'll bow to your knowledge on the subject, given that you follow Englan...Sorry, I mean The Three Lions ;-)

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved