hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: England Semi

I'm quite pleased to see things like shops having plans in place to close early if England reach the final. It's a pretty major event and it's good to see employers actually considering their staff albeit there is likely a realisation they won't be too busy anyway.

We had a family event at the weekend and a few of the people attending were English. They were quite obviously excited about their chances after seeing their team beat Sweden relatively comfortably; it's a first WC semi final in nearly 3 decades, you'd have to be a pretty miserable ******* not to be excited. Of course it could all come crashing down but I can't imagine people in Brussels, Paris or Zagreb are any less excited right now and every single side has every right to believe they can go all the way now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    My employer has announced everyone gets the day off on Monday if England win.

More than happy to support them :)

'It's coming home' is up there with '#letsgo' and 'goingfor55' in the annoying stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really Really Unbearable. Trust me.
    Aye unbearable and on top of that I have to contend with Blackburn beating us on Sunday
    My youngest refused to go to school yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    'It's coming home' is up there with '#letsgo' and 'goingfor55' in the annoying stakes.
    I don't know. "It's coming home" is mainly used in an ironic sense which I quite like. Everyone knows it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't know. "It's coming home" is mainly used in an ironic sense which I quite like. Everyone knows it won't happen.
    I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter

In all fairness, I think they've done very well.

However, Belgium are going to win the tournament.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    It's becoming a bit nauseating, the media (BBC are the worst for this) constantly referring to England as "The Three Lions" - when did this become a thing?

Also noticed a fair few stories about English fans rampaging around their own towns after England wins - it's reassuring to see some things never change. I hope they lose to Croatia, but it doesn't matter, as they would get horses in the final by either France or Belgium anyway.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Wait until they lose (please).

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter
    Doesn't make us any less pathetic at football though, does it?

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    It's becoming a bit nauseating, the media (BBC are the worst for this) constantly referring to England as "The Three Lions" - when did this become a thing?

Also noticed a fair few stories about English fans rampaging around their own towns after England wins - it's reassuring to see some things never change. I hope they lose to Croatia, but it doesn't matter, as they would get horses in the final by either France or Belgium anyway.

Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge )

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

The best side they have beaten in 90 minutes is an average Swedish team. I actually think they have done quite well and the manager and team all seem fairly likeable but I genuinely don't think they will win it as they don't have enough quality overall.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge )
    Was taught exactly this at primary school, three leopards couchant.

They've played pretty well and are a good team but the fact is that they've managed to get to this stage without playing a decent team(Belgium game discounted as both were trying to lose that one). Just makes all the fawning over everything the players do a little more unbearable. At least if they were to win it they'll have to have beaton 2 good sides in the last 2 games. Glad we've got Hibs to take the mind off of it if they do it though

Coaching Staff
    They have a very good chance of winning it & yes some do believe it's a given.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The line is in the song, but the England team have never been referred to as "The Three Lions" prior to this tournament.

Of course they have

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    What’s wrong with believing you can win it?

Can this be moved to elsewhere due to NHC

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Some info on this (I must get out more).

The English FA have stated that the three lions come from the standard carried into battle by English Kings. Henry 1 (known as the Lion Of England) had one lion on his standard then added another when marrying a wife with a lion on her family crest. Henry 11 added a third lion for the same reason and Richard 1 carried the 3 lions on his standard which showed 3 gold lions on a red background and this then appeared on all future Royal coats of arms. The FA decide that it was fitting for this to be part of the team badge and a slightly different one for the Cricket team.

Some historians speculate that lions were not known in the time of Henry 1 etc. but history shows that Henry 1 was known as the Lion of England which would have been extremely difficult if lions were not known. The QI programme stated that some historians believed that they were leopards or another similar sounding name but if lions were not known why would leopards be known? They both come from Africa.

The bottom line here is surely that if they have been called lions and believed to be lions for all these years what is the problem?
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 10-07-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Doesn't make us any less pathetic at football though, does it?
    I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    They have a very good chance of winning it & yes some do believe it's a given.
    They won't win it though. That's the bottom line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still unlikely they will.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    Not been this nervous over a semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain!
    I just spat irn bru over the steering wheel

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Tbh you have been overconfident of winning every tournament you have entered after 66 .
    All this “it’s coming home pissss “ stinks of arrogance akin to how most Germans come across.
    We the Scots first invented football 😜
    Yes you have very good chance to get to the final , but let’s be honest, you have not beat a decent team yet .
    Hibs /Scotland fans can win and lose with a bit class . The same cannot be said of England fans .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.

Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as 1. they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still 2. unlikely they will.

1. How many? have you done a poll? what is the count? Pure propaganda.
    2. You're still not sure then?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I'm down south now and it's really horrible. Unbearable. Full of ****s.

And the football isn't helping either.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    Not been this nervous over a semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Tbh you have been overconfident of winning every tournament you have entered after 66 .
    All this “it’s coming home pissss “ stinks of arrogance akin to how most Germans come across.
    We the Scots first invented football 😜
    Yes you have very good chance to get to the final , but let’s be honest, you have not beat a decent team yet .
    Hibs /Scotland fans can win and lose with a bit class . The same cannot be said of England fans .

The poster actually asked what was wrong in believing you can win it? You did not answer that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    1. How many? have you done a poll? what is the count? Pure propaganda.
    2. You're still not sure then?
    Nobody I have spoken to around the Midlands believes it's a given. They Hope and believe that England will win, but no one I've spoken to has said other than "here's hoping".

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    We really are a bitter bunch.

The “It’s coming home” stuff is just a bit of hopeful fun. Don’t get me wrong I think it’ll be a laugh when they lose, but some people are a bit OTT.

Left by mutual consent!

Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still unlikely they will.
    Your enemies failure doesn't make you a success.
    If you get off on other people's disappointment, that's up to you.

England fans saying they are going to win are no different to the balloons on here who thought all we had to do to beat Hearts at Tynecastle was to turn up.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Of course they have
    I've no recollection of them ever being referred to as that, but I'll bow to your knowledge on the subject, given that you follow Englan...Sorry, I mean The Three Lions ;-)