hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: England Semi

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ach...I dont see a problem with people wanting England to lose. When it comes to sport, every small country in the world has a sizeable chip on the shoulder against the larger neighbours. Portugal/ Spain, NZ/ Australia etc

I dont want them to win, but really dont have much vitriol for them. Gareth Southgate is quote a likeable chap- humble, understated, bookish - everything you DONT associate with the England football team.

I think a lot of the anti-english nonsense is driven by jealousy. It's been 20 years since we were anywhere near a world cup and if it were Scotland making the latter stages, we'd well and truly be lapping it up and enjoying the ride. Mind when Scotland played Brazil on the first day of France 98? It was like Christmas day !!!

So fair play to them. I hope they have a good time but dont win the world cup.

Cheers

**** me, a sensible and balanced post on a thread about England.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I think you do care and would show it be responding to criticism
    You'r being over sensitive.

Mon the Croats.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Ach...I dont see a problem with people wanting England to lose. When it comes to sport, every small country in the world has a sizeable chip on the shoulder against the larger neighbours. Portugal/ Spain, NZ/ Australia etc

I dont want them to win, but really dont have much vitriol for them. Gareth Southgate is quote a likeable chap- humble, understated, bookish - everything you DONT associate with the England football team.

I think a lot of the anti-english nonsense is driven by jealousy. It's been 20 years since we were anywhere near a world cup and if it were Scotland making the latter stages, we'd well and truly be lapping it up and enjoying the ride. Mind when Scotland played Brazil on the first day of France 98? It was like Christmas day !!!

So fair play to them. I hope they have a good time but dont win the world cup.

Cheers
    That's almost exactly how I feel.

The only differences being that I have an English wife, I live in York and I took England to win it outright, each way.

Pretty much a win win situation for me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    Get off if you wish, I'm happy where I am.

A question for you. Why do you and your fellow England fans care who any non-English person supports?

If it was roles revered I wouldn't care less if anyone outside of Scotland wasn't supporting us or actively wanting us to lose.
    Where did I say I was supporting England?

I said I wasn't supporting their opponents.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Even the Spartak boys haven't tested these muppets!

Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    You seem to be on your own personal crusade for support of the England team and disrespecting Scottish football, one wonders why, on this forum. As an experiment to your theory that its only Scots who dont like the English, post something positive about Scottish football on the BBC Football page on FB, even funnier, post something negative about England
    Lol. Seriously I'm not. I simply feel that I sometimes have to address those xenophobic Scots who pretend that their resentment and dislike of the English is purely restricted to sport and English commentators, when the reality is that it runs deeper.

I do confess to wanting all British teams to do well in tournaments - probably as a consequence of having travelled all over the world and my military background with The British Forces. I have relatives who have never lived any where but Scotland and I do detect a stronger anti-English vibe running through them.
    Yes, other countries do indeed suffer from their share of Anglophobes - France, Argentina and Germany spring to mind.

As for my talking up Scottish football: hey, I do this all the time. I'm always telling my relatives down south how wonderful Hibs are and how uneducated and biased football supporters are down there regarding footie up here. The Scottish cup final footage of the massed ranks of the Hibernian support belting out "Sunshine On Leith" never fails to impress them. I've got family down in Devon who even tune in to watch Hibs any time they are on the box and, again, they are impressed by our packed stadium, the atmosphere and the footie on offer - they even know who "Wee Louis Stevenson is"

I lived down south and went to watch Swindon Town for a few years..Arsenal too..I can honestly say that there is an exaggeration about how good the footie is down there and how poor it is up here. The truth falls somewhere in the middle. The EPL is without question a fantastic league, but not every game is a cracker. Hibs, for me, have been a joy to watch these past few years and the football on offer is up there with the best in the Championship, maybe even the lower reaches of the EPL! I relay this to anyone down there who will listen.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Lol. Seriously I'm not. I simply feel that I sometimes have to address those xenophobic Scots who pretend that their resentment and dislike of the English is purely restricted to sport and English commentators, when the reality is that it runs deeper.

I do confess to wanting all British teams to do well in tournaments - probably as a consequence of having travelled all over the world and my military background with The British Forces. I have relatives who have never lived any where but Scotland and I do detect a stronger anti-English vibe running through them.
    Yes, other countries do indeed suffer from their share of Anglophobes - France, Argentina and Germany spring to mind.

As for my talking up Scottish football: hey, I do this all the time. I'm always telling my relatives down south how wonderful Hibs are and how uneducated and biased football supporters are down there regarding footie up here. The Scottish cup final footage of the massed ranks of the Hibernian support belting out "Sunshine On Leith" never fails to impress them. I've got family down in Devon who even tune in to watch Hibs any time they are on the box and, again, they are impressed by our packed stadium, the atmosphere and the footie on offer - they even know who "Wee Louis Stevenson is"

I lived down south and went to watch Swindon Town for a few years..Arsenal too..I can honestly say that there is an exaggeration about how good the footie is down there and how poor it is up here. The truth falls somewhere in the middle. The EPL is without question a fantastic league, but not every game is a cracker. Hibs, for me, have been a joy to watch these past few years and the football on offer is up there with the best in the Championship, maybe even the lower reaches of the EPL! I relay this to anyone down there who will listen.
    Could it be argued that Anglophobes and Scotophobes are just a by-product of the exposure to the people they eventually hold some resentment towards? A Scottish guy bullied at school by a English guy, and vice versa. What do you get when you have a Scotophobe in a room with a reasoned Scotsman, does one take the moral high ground and alleviate the "phobia" of the other? Unlikely, lock them in the room long enough and you'd probably end up opening the door to an Anglophobe and an Scotophobe. Again, this is a football forum though, this is getting silly, almost getting a phobia about all this talk of phobias. People resent and dislike many people across the world. I don't see any issue with it unless they are aggressive towards anybody. Most of the world resents North Korea at the moment. People talk poorly about countries all over the world even though they haven't visited. This is typically led by media coverage.

I know nothing about North Korea but have a feeling of resentment, nothing aggressive obviously. This is clearly solely led by media coverage and information shared from sources, not personal experience. Never underestimate the influence media can have on the mentality of the people exposed to it. England has flipped from "they are young, lets see how we do" to "it's coming home" and shops closing down in a matter of weeks, media influences this.

A large proportion of Scotland not liking/being indifferent towards England is not a crime. I dislike many people, never hurt one of them though and never abuse any of them due to where they come from. Due to the population difference I'd also argue you'd end up finding more people in England that don't like Scottish people - those lazy people that we give more to than they put into the economy, leeches was banded about quite a bit during the Scottish Referendum for example. I can guarantee that had nothing to do with football or any sport, that was a clear dislike of Scottish people and Scotland. Again, based on what media have circulated to the masses and people's interpretation of that material.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Could it be argued that Anglophobes and Scotophobes are just a by-product of the exposure to the people they eventually hold some resentment towards? A Scottish guy bullied at school by a English guy, and vice versa. What do you get when you have a Scotophobe in a room with a reasoned Scotsman, does one take the moral high ground and alleviate the "phobia" of the other? Unlikely, lock them in the room long enough and you'd probably end up opening the door to an Anglophobe and an Scotophobe. Again, this is a football forum though, this is getting silly, almost getting a phobia about all this talk of phobias. People resent and dislike many people across the world. I don't see any issue with it unless they are aggressive towards anybody. Most of the world resents North Korea at the moment. People talk poorly about countries all over the world even though they haven't visited. This is typically led by media coverage.

I know nothing about North Korea but have a feeling of resentment, nothing aggressive obviously. This is clearly solely led by media coverage and information shared from sources, not personal experience. Never underestimate the influence media can have on the mentality of the people exposed to it. England has flipped from "they are young, lets see how we do" to "it's coming home" and shops closing down in a matter of weeks, media influences this.

A large proportion of Scotland not liking/being indifferent towards England is not a crime. I dislike many people, never hurt one of them though and never abuse any of them due to where they come from. Due to the population difference I'd also argue you'd end up finding more people in England that don't like Scottish people - those lazy people that we give more to than they put into the economy, leeches was banded about quite a bit during the Scottish Referendum for example. I can guarantee that had nothing to do with football or any sport, that was a clear dislike of Scottish people and Scotland. Again, based on what media have circulated to the masses and people's interpretation of that material.
    Fair do's

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post

Spot on mate and totally put the paid for SIU forum person in their box!

If a player tackled studs up and square into the knee its a red card, especially if they ont play the ball with the studs up straight leg. If its a keeper its a good save?

Let's see the fan-zones now 👍😭😭😭

I know quite a few lads who have travelled over during the course of the tournament and quite a few for tonight with open tickets depending on the result. Genuinely feel for them. The beer chucking ambulance jumpers can GTF though. Still time for an equaliser, mind.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss . England’s going home 😂😂😂
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    They tried hard but they just lack the quality to be honest. Kane is a poor man’s Jamie Maclaren.

Let's be honest. It was never happening. They gave it a decent go but unfortunately they are mentally weak and will never win another major tournament for years to come. Their whole mentality stinks "getting to the semis makes them national heros" can you imagine the Argentina or Germany fans/media saying That?

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Let's be honest. It was never happening. They gave it a decent go but unfortunately they are mentally weak and will never win another major tournament for years to come. Their whole mentality stinks "getting to the semis makes them national heros" can you imagine the Argentina or Germany fans/media saying That?
    The Germans did in 2006.

Similarities with this England team too. Young team, 1st najor tournament together, a feeling there was better to come.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    England fans scrapping in our hotel in Turkey. Absolute animals when they lose, women and children running for cover.

United we stand here....

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    That team, with Southgate in charge will win the Euros. France will win the World Cup final, but in 2 years I think this England team could be on par with them. Decent game, the better team one, but they have certainly not embarrassed themselves.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    England fans scrapping in our hotel in Turkey. Absolute animals when they lose, women and children running for cover.
    My mate's in Greece and just text me saying similar. They just can't handle it when they get pumped oot. Feel for them .

Brilliant. England's coming home.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    That team, with Southgate in charge will win the Euros. France will win the World Cup final, but in 2 years I think this England team could be on par with them. Decent game, the better team one, but they have certainly not embarrassed themselves.

They'll win nout. That was their chance and they bottled it. Class.

Gamer IDs

Croatia were miles better for 2/3rds of the game. I wouldn’t consider myself at all anti-English, but they really were nothing special in this tournament. Their only convincing games were vs Sweden and Panama. There’s nothing there to suggest they will be anywhere near France’s level.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Croatia were miles better for 2/3rds of the game. I wouldn’t consider myself at all anti-English, but they really were nothing special in this tournament. Their only convincing games were vs Sweden and Panama. There’s nothing there to suggest they will be anywhere near France’s level.
    A young inexperienced team, who were "nothing special" (your words) , still managed to get to the Semis - in 2 years they will be even better than they are now.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar

Agree with this... sitting with some of "them"... theyre my mates , so will give it a wee bit before I mention it... seriously tho... if it was us I'd be a wee bit pissed.... so near....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

A young inexperienced team, who were "nothing special" (your words) , still managed to get to the Semis - in 2 years they will be even better than they are now.

Best team they beat in 90 minutes was Sweden. As soon as they played a decent side they were shown up.

Gamer IDs

Yes, it’s nothing special. At face value, getting to the semis is impressive, but considering their run any England team should be expecting to reach the semis if drawn against those teams.

They’ve lost to the only decent team they’ve played - a team who most wouldn’t put in their top 5.

No-one can say they didn’t put the effort in, but there are at east a half-dozen countries with far superior squads to England.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Best team they beat in 90 minutes was Sweden. As soon as they played a decent side they were shown up.
    I completely agree, and I never doubted that Croatia would beat them. The commentator actually said that Modric has more medals than the whole England squad, so that shows the difference in experience between the two teams - I just feel in 2 years things will be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Spot on mate and totally put the paid for SIU forum person in their box!
    Still trolling I see, Mr Smith.
    You really can't help yourself can you?