hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seagulls

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don’t go away though do they? They ease off a little but throughout the season it’s a massive problem. I wouldn’t go to the theatre and expect to not watch the show with fear of being shat on or bombed by birds, I pay money to go to ER to watch the football, today wasn’t a ‘slight inconvenience’ it was a total pain in the arse. I get your probably some weird seagull enthusiast but that doesn’t mean we sit back and accept the issue.
    Theatres are inside. Seagulls are outside. Easter Road is outside. Do you see how that works? The scrounging squirrels can be a pain at Bard in the Botanics mind you.

Theatres also don't tend to have people frisbeeing their halfpizza because they can't be bothered to find a bin. (Though to be fair the ER pizza makes a better frisbee than it does a foodstuff)

The solution is there if people want it enough.

Personally I can take or leave gulls. I'd rather have red kites, but we shot all of them so here we are.

The vast majority of the gulls will go away once the chicks fledge. The rest will be dead in the next couple of decades anyway.

Then we can all moan about the rats.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Thank the parliament - who displaced
    The gulls and moved the problem on elsewhere for example Spring Gardens never had a problem until they started with those hawks/whatever.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I was tempted to but some chips a toss them near the linesman on the East stand, just to see him panic as they attacked him and the chips.
    I'm liking that! Could be a way to deal with substandard officiating.

Spread the word...

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post

A retractable roof? Would mean we need to fill the corners in also so I'm in.

They really were out in force today, worst I've seen and s****ing everywhere.
    I feel fortunate my seat is right at the back but others are not so lucky.

I noticed recently in the livvy shopping centre up through the roof they have a mechanical hawk thing, it looks pretty cool, ......But how effective it is on deterring bigger birds like gulls, who knows.
    Its one up from a plastic owl :)

Someone at the club should be looking for a solution

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    They really were out in force today, worst I've seen and s****ing everywhere.
    I feel fortunate my seat is right at the back but others are not so lucky.

I noticed recently in the livvy shopping centre up through the roof they have a mechanical hawk thing, it looks pretty cool, ......But how effective it is on deterring bigger birds like gulls, who knows.
    Its one up from a plastic owl :)

Someone at the club should be looking for a solution

Fans need to complain to get action taken, fan also need to stop throwing unfinished food on the ground as well, parents take note.

Theatres are inside. Seagulls are outside. Easter Road is outside. Do you see how that works? The scrounging squirrels can be a pain at Bard in the Botanics mind you.

Theatres also don't tend to have people frisbeeing their halfpizza because they can't be bothered to find a bin. (Though to be fair the ER pizza makes a better frisbee than it does a foodstuff)

Personally I can take or leave gulls. I'd rather have red kites, but we shot all of them so here we are.

The vast majority of the gulls will go away once the chicks fledge. The rest will be dead in the next couple of decades anyway.

Then we can all moan about the rats.
    Yesterday had nothing to do with leftover food. There was none by 2.20 when I arrived but there was still hundreds of seagulls. If it’s to do with nesting during the summer then the club need to do something to stop that. Also, unless the club put bins at each seat/row then rubbish will always get left under seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    There was a sparrowhawk flew in during first half chasing a pigeon and that startled them as they buggered off up towards south stand for a bit !

Give the sparrowhawk a 4yr contract.
    Or sign Muttley

Seagulls

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Fans need to complain to get action taken, fan also need to stop throwing unfinished food on the ground as well, parents take note.
    Who has the disposable income to toss away food at the football? If I’ve spent £5.00 on a pie and hot beef drink you can be damn skippy I’m finishing the lot.
    Last edited by TheMentalHibees; 09-07-2018 at 06:52 AM.

These threads happen every season.

The seagulls are a nightmare and I fully agree it’s a massive distraction when you just want to enjoy the football.

Hibs should be doing something to help and the most simple thing is tell fans to not feed them and bin their waste properly.

Ideally recycle which I’ve brought up on here before.

Yesterday was horrendous and it won’t be 2 weeks till they are fixed it will be longer - it’s the same every season.

The thing is, if people started putting their food in the bins you would have a thread on here saying people are getting up every 2 minutes to go to bins and getting in my way of the game.

Its 100% to do with food. The seagulls are only in cities at all because of the food waste we leave lying about. They should be on the coasts - but we've taken all their food away from there.

There's not much the club can do. The seagulls see ER in the close season as one big empty cliff face, perfect for nesting. Then a couple of weeks later when the chicks are at their most vulnerable and the adults are half starved, a bunch of predators turn up and start throwing food around.

You can't kill them or interfere with their nests. That's illegal (and also, i would hope, not "Hibs Class"))

You could try netting or anti nesting spikes on the stadium roofs - that's very expensive.

You could employ people to walk up and down the roofs and seat areas all day every day before the birds nest - again expensive.

You could use noisemakers - i suspect the neighbours would complain, and they only work for so long anyway.

You could try kites, plastic owls, robot hawks - they don't work unless they are constantly repositioned, again expensive.

You could try getting in a company that flies birds of prey but ER is such a big area that again its going to be expensive and it probably won't work.

Or fans could stop feeding them. But we've already established that's impossible.

Looked to be a nest in the East stand at the FF end, so based on that, they won't be going anywhere quickly.

Just neded a guy walking round with a big bird of prey on his arm like they did when I worked at kings cross. It should stop them I think. You can hire ppl for that.

Its 100% to do with food. The seagulls are only in cities at all because of the food waste we leave lying about. They should be on the coasts - but we've taken all their food away from there.

There's not much the club can do. The seagulls see ER in the close season as one big empty cliff face, perfect for nesting. Then a couple of weeks later when the chicks are at their most vulnerable and the adults are half starved, a bunch of predators turn up and start throwing food around.

You can't kill them or interfere with their nests. That's illegal (and also, i would hope, not "Hibs Class"))

You could try netting or anti nesting spikes on the stadium roofs - that's very expensive.

You could employ people to walk up and down the roofs and seat areas all day every day before the birds nest - again expensive.

You could use noisemakers - i suspect the neighbours would complain, and they only work for so long anyway.

You could try kites, plastic owls, robot hawks - they don't work unless they are constantly repositioned, again expensive.

You could try getting in a company that flies birds of prey but ER is such a big area that again its going to be expensive and it probably won't work.

Or fans could stop feeding them. But we've already established that's impossible.
    Our fans haven’t been in the stadium since mid may. I was one of the first in on Sunday... so how can this be the fault of the fans? Mind boggling.

Our fans haven’t been in the stadium since mid may. I was one of the first in on Sunday... so how can this be the fault of the fans? Mind boggling.
    Because they left a big empty stadium for several weeks- perfect for birds to nest in - and then turned up looking and acting like predators in front of birds with young. They then started throwing food about in front of half starved animals.

I don't get what's so difficult to understand?

I could try saying it in seagull?

"Caw".

It's a problem created by humans. If we didn't throw food about the gulls wouldnt be here at all. They'd be starving to death on sea cliffs.

Because they left a big empty stadium for several weeks- perfect for birds to nest in - and then turned up looking and acting like predators in front of birds with young. They then started throwing food about in front of half starved animals.

I don't get what's so difficult to understand?

I could try saying it in seagull?

"Caw".

It's a problem created by humans. If we didn't throw food about the gulls wouldnt be here at all. They'd be starving to death on sea cliffs.
    ‘Acting like predators’ - sitting in a football stadium watching a football match... Sooner the pests are all gone the better.

Am no a tree-hugging, grungy hippy type but I always marvel at the arrogance of our species as we lord it up, demanding the extermination (euphemistically referred to as ‘controlling numbers’) of other species that happen to annoy some of us.
    The birds have been around a lot longer than we have and will probably be here long after we’re gone...how dare they interrupt a game of football!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Sure there's gulls at Pittoders also.
    Aberdeen have a guy with a hawk. Saw him going round the pitch before the last match.

In a nutshell

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a machine you could get which played a high pitched sound of some kind which kept them away(?)

The rubbish/food lying around probably doesn't help, but I don't know why there are so many of them and they are so bad.

These machines should be banned.

They generate noise pollution, horrendous things.

Promising Youngster birdspotter's Avatar
    Yesterday had nothing to do with leftover food. There was none by 2.20 when I arrived but there was still hundreds of seagulls. If it’s to do with nesting during the summer then the club need to do something to stop that. Also, unless the club put bins at each seat/row then rubbish will always get left under seats.
    Given one guy I spoke to recently tried to survey the roof nesting population of gulls within Edinburgh and came up with over 1000 prs and that gulls have been known to travel up to 50km for food (between London & a rubbish tip), how would the club do this?
    It is just financially not possible, even if they just restricted their efforts to Leith. That said they wouldn't be allowed to either as previously mentioned they ste protected.
    During the same conversation with the bloke who done the surveying he mentioned that the increase in the city breeding population's might not just be about food!
    It seems that there is a 5 degrees difference in temperature to being in the city rather than outside this means a brood is more likely to succeed.
    He also mentioned he was puzzled when doing his surveys that many nests were not located where you would expect, behind chimneys, in gutters and valleys etc, but jammed tight between the actual chimney pots!
    It wasn't until hearing about the links with temperature that he thought most likely these birds were there for that reason as the heat from gas fires etc rise up through these pots.
    As I say the gulls are here to sTay and we need to adapt our way of living to discourage them further.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    The weird thing is they seemed bugger off at half time (in the FF at least) only to make a reappearance as soon as the second half was under way.
    i thought this was weird too. Maybe they were only there for the football?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    i thought this was weird too. Maybe they were only there for the football?
    They're not daft we're told.

While everyone else is queueing for an overpriced pie that consists of cardboard, wallpaper paste and sawdust they nip off to Greggs and still get back in plenty time for second half dive bombing and generally taking the piss out of their evolutionary inferiors.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Breakthrough madjock9's Avatar
    Just watched the post match interview with Lennon and in the background a huge amount of seagulls wandering around the pitch and stands.

did they pay to get in and count towards the attendance?

@hibs.net private member
    Passed through Musselburgh today,was a guy with a Bird of prey walking about outside the bus depot, seagulls were going mental.
    Maybe should get him down on match days.
    Mind you probably a Jambo with a bird like that!!

They are a damned nuisance and I don't care what the RSPB say they should be a massive cull 😠 Rant over 👍

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    They are a damned nuisance and I don't care what the RSPB say they should be a massive cull 😠 Rant over 👍
    Agree completely and I don't know why they're a 'protected species'. They're not referred to as 'flying rats' for nothing. Millions of the bggrs.

There was nowhere near as many during the game last night as there were a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    They have been plaguing North Edinburgh, all summer. Anybody got any ideas why?
    Because people chuck their half eaten food on the floor, or leave rubbish bags lying next to the main biffa bins. They’re opportunists and if folk cut their supply, they’d disappear.