hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd agree that Bartley isn't suited to it. Which is a shame, as I'm a big Bartley fan.

I actually think Stevenson plays the role well, and combined with Boyle you have two wingbacks that will run all day - which is key to the formation.

I think our best line up, as things stand is:

Rocky/Bog
    Ambrose McGregor Hanlon
    Boyle Mallan Slivka McGinn Stevenson
    Kamberi Shaw

We'll probably need to replace McGinn, and we probably should replace Shaw this year.

Whittaker and Swanson could also be deployed in a couple of those positions too.
    Why the hell would we replace Shaw who has done well when he's played and is a real prospect.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    You weren’t at Raith Rovers a few years back when the match was abandoned at half time after a torrential downpour then?
    https://g.co/kgs/VvuCp4
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Why the hell would we replace Shaw who has done well when he's played and is a real prospect.
    I meant replace him as being part of the first 11. Not entirely replace him. I.e. sign another striker to partner Kamberi this season.
    Mon the Hibs.

We don’t need to replace shaw. He won’t be a starter.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    We don’t need to replace shaw. He won’t be a starter.
    He currently is a starter, and so needs replaced for now. That's what I meant.
    Mon the Hibs.

We were ok in the first half and could have been ahead, but the 2nd half was a different matter, we were second to most loose balls and Blackburn's play was sharper and their passing far better with their players finding yards of space in midfield. When we did get into their box we didn't do anything with the possession we had.

I never get too bothered about pre season friendlies win or lose, but what was concerning was our apparent lack of cohesion, as pointed out by another poster, and the fact that nobody stood out .. though I thought Efe was good when he was on and McGinn did well for the first half hour, not much use to us going forward unless by some miracle he stays for the season.

Judging by the standards we have set over the last two seasons we are looking for a team capable of far far better than what we saw today, in all honesty it was all rather insipid and half assed even if it was a pre season match ….. I am not looking to pick on him, but Danny Swanson's performance reminded me of what he showed at the start of last season and that doesn't bode well for him, or us, if we are looking for him to fill one of the considerable gaps left by McGinn ( when he goes ), McGeouch or Allan.

Shout out to the ref … I don't think I've ever seen Hibs penalised so many times for nothing challenges as we were in that game, if it had been a serious match the crowd would have been going mental.

On to Thursday ….. Part timers from a country more famous for slaughtering Whales than football they might be, but if we repeat anything like that performance against Runavik we will make life far more difficult than it needs to be.

Today showed that we are short of the quity we need as iur starting 11 ..up front, right side either as right wingback or right back, midfield strength and a second quality forward..today let us see why Bartley got little game time, he takes the pace out of our play, Gray is struging to be at the pace of this game now, young Oli needs time to develop at this level and not be played and pressured too early.
    Crack on recruitment team ..oh and a quick wide player to add to what Boyle gives

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    He currently is a starter, and so needs replaced for now. That's what I meant.
    Agreed. If we want to do anything this year he can’t be a starter at this stage in his development. Judging on yesterday and just by looking at the squad, we’re still at least 3 starting players short. 4 when McGinn goes.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Agreed. If we want to do anything this year he can’t be a starter at this stage in his development. Judging on yesterday and just by looking at the squad, we’re still at least 3 starting players short. 4 when McGinn goes.
    As it stands, we would really struggle with injuries and suspensions.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    As it stands, we would really struggle with injuries and suspensions.
    Agreed. IMO we need:

Someone to replace Jamie Maclaren (ideally Maclaren himself)
    Someone to replace Dylan
    Someone to replace Barker (possibly Horgan? Would love to see Barker back though)
    Someone to replace McGinn when he most likely goes

And I’d also love to see Allan back but I don’t reckon he replaces any of the outgoing players. Even then, without Dylan and SJM were going to be significantly weaker. It’s a big ask to have a side as good as last season looking at where we are just now because to be honest, we’re not even particularly near it.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    It was pass marks yesterday from me for big Efe who was strolling it at times, Hanlon, big congratulations for his big day, SJM was a stand out for us in midfield, Kamberi was strong, sharp and a right handful just needed somebody to link with him & SDG did well and was good to see him back!
    As previous stated not a great performance, only a pre season game but was an opportunity for some to showcase themselves that was missed. It did highlight our difficiences and we need to improve. Thursday nights opponants should not be underestimated!

Their second goal reminded me of when Dundee United beat us 1-0 in Stubbs first pre season at Easter Road. But I'm sure Stubbs had made about 5 or 6 subs a few seconds before hand and the shape went to pieces. It shows how valuable Porteous is to the squad yesterday. Efe going off and Gray then Whittaker moving into that right of the 3 doesn't work for me.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Just seen highlights of both goals, 1st one was a cracker, their 2nd was poor defending from hanlon & stevenson although probably was a foul on gray. Thought laidlaw could've done better to hold onto it as well.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    A preseason match and a testimonial all rolled into one is the equivalent of a christmas pantomime performance...something to take the family along to for a change but not for the serious theatre fan looking for some avant garde Shakespearean drama by a touring troupe of Outer M0ngolian throat singers.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    A preseason match and a testimonial all rolled into one is the equivalent of a christmas pantomime performance...something to take the family along to for a change but not for the serious theatre fan looking for some avant garde Shakespearean drama by a touring troupe of Outer M0ngolian throat singers.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Goalie made a hash of it had it then allowed it to spill from his grasp certainly will not help his confidence. VAR will tell the truth !
    Not a chance was the second Laidlaw s fault...he made great save 1 on 1 and was very unlucky with the rebound...defence on the other hand were highly culpable

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Not a chance was the second Laidlaw s fault...he made great save 1 on 1 and was very unlucky with the rebound...defence on the other hand were highly culpable

On the contrary had the perfect view from the West Lower had the ball in his grasp and seem to lose it let the ball spill from his grasp not sure if the Blackburn guy kicked it out of his hands would need VAR to confirm. The defence were wide open all over the place and other posters are saying SDG was fouled in the build up.It was a disaster of a goal to lose but hey ho no one died it was only a friendly I only hope it does not affect the boys confidence especially after his SF performance. Not having a pop only calling it as I saw it.Have a nice holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    On the contrary had the perfect view from the West Lower had the ball in his grasp and seem to lose it let the ball spill from his grasp not sure if the Blackburn guy kicked it out of his hands would need VAR to confirm. The defence were wide open all over the place and other posters are saying SDG was fouled in the build up.It was a disaster of a goal to lose but hey ho no one died it was only a friendly I only hope it does not affect the boys confidence especially after his SF performance. Not having a pop only calling it as I saw it.Have a nice holiday!
    Official website match report saying first effort SAVED by Laidlaw but it fell kindly back to him and he swept it high into the net.

I rest my case!

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post

Just watched the second goal again on Sky Sports I agree looked very unlucky only a friendly let’s move on to Thursday Have a nice holiday