hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least one of the testimonial committee posts on here. The timing of the game would be at the preference of both clubs I'd imagine.
    Then change clubs to suit then.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    No-one needs to explain why they did or didn't go to any game.

It's the other face of the ridiculous "why do all these folk want to go to cup finals, but don't turn up for ordinary league games" pish.

And yes, it's people wanting to validate themselves as better than others.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    What was the attendance

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    What was the attendance

Just over 6k I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Just over 6k I believe.
    Just read it was 6,520
    Not the worst crowd in the world

Couldnt make it due to health issues. I did donate to someone else to go in my stead (Hibs charity). Paul Hanlon has been a very good player for Hibs and as i couldnt go, thought it would be better for someone to attend in my place. Personally think the game would have been better been played at the end of last season. But thats my opinion
    B

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Just read it was 6,520
    Not the worst crowd in the world
    Especially since that was the sort of attendance we were getting for league matches 4-5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Can I be honest?

People have paid their money so they can leave when they want, they are under no obligation to stay at all.

I've been in the same industry 18 years and all I got for ten years service was a commemorative badge from the union.
    That attitude is what gets on my nerve. It’s his day. He’s played 300 game for US and we shouldn’t be bothered to stay coz we’ve paid our money. He should just have ****ed off to Aberdeen coz the majority can’t be arsed.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Especially since that was the sort of attendance we were getting for league matches 4-5 years ago.
    Yep.....shows how far we've come.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    That attitude is what gets on my nerve. It’s his day. He’s played 300 game for US and we shouldn’t be bothered to stay coz we’ve paid our money. He should just have ****ed off to Aberdeen coz the majority can’t be arsed.
    Did he play all those games for free?

Are you not related to him or something? If so, surely you can see how you are hardly an objective point of view?

It was a botch job, you are right he did deserve better than Blackburn Rivers.

That crowd actually wasn't even that bad - what was the crowd for lewey last year? I seem to remember a similar crowd for Gordon Hunter too. Maybe your expectations were just wrong, skewed by your lack of objectivity?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    Can I be honest. I’m not unhappy that some people couldn’t make it.

I’m really unhappy however that the East/West emptied at the full time whistle, before his lap of honour. The guys played for us for 10 years, and a huge number of folk couldn’t be arsed waiting 10 minutes.
    Was same in Famous Five. Folk leaving with 5 minutes to go.

It’s a remarkable achievement for a player to be with a club for 10 years these days and disappointing that some of our support couldn’t hang around for 5 minutes to applaud Paul on his lap of honour.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Did he play all those games for free?

Are you not related to him or something? If so, surely you can see how you are hardly an objective point of view?

It was a botch job, you are right he did deserve better than Blackburn Rivers.

That crowd actually wasn't even that bad - what was the crowd for lewey last year? I seem to remember a similar crowd for Gordon Hunter too. Maybe your expectations were just wrong, skewed by your lack of objectivity?
    You are 100% correct. I wrongly expect so much more from us. Any player that stays for 10 years and has so much involvement in our history in my view deserves much more. But I agree it’s my personal view. The man is a living playing legend for us but more would be available if we played Hearts today because it’s Hearts. Nothing to do with Hibs. That’s me done.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Wow, chill out. Surely Paul is just happy that 6500 people turned up for his day and there is decent money going to charity. I have a special day every year that you could say is “my day” and I can assure you 6500 people don’t turn up and certainly don’t pay £20 a head.

Of course more could have turned up, however, less could have turned up. If Paul’s testimonial was 5 years ago, there would’ve been 2000 turning up and probably protests and abuse hurled at Petrie while the match was in play.

Paul is in the position to play 2 testimonials as he’s nowhere near retirement, that is stupid for me. Have the testimonial in the year of retirement. Many more would turn up if it were a send off rather than a pre season game labelled a testimonial.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Have testimonials always been on the 10 year mark?

I would have thought at the end of their time at the club/as a player, having been there for 10+ years, would have been a more likely time for one.

I'm sure everyone likes and appreciates what Hanlon has done and achieved for Hibs in his 10 years regardless of how many showed up for the pre season friendly that we decided was Hanlon's testimonial.
    Mon the Hibs.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Have testimonials always been on the 10 year mark?

I would have thought at the end of their time at the club/as a player, having been there for 10+ years, would have been a more likely time for one.

I'm sure everyone likes and appreciates what Hanlon has done and achieved for Hibs in his 10 years regardless of how many showed up for the pre season friendly that we decided was Hanlon's testimonial.

That’s what I thought initially as well regarding testimonials.

Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Was same in Famous Five. Folk leaving with 5 minutes to go.

It’s a remarkable achievement for a player to be with a club for 10 years these days and disappointing that some of our support couldn’t hang around for 5 minutes to applaud Paul on his lap of honour.
    As I say, I have no problem with anyone who couldn’t come through choice or any other reason. Nor do I take issue that some people HAVE to leave early. I’m just disappointed that some just didn’t fancy sticking around to give him that plaudits he deserved for a measly 5/10 minutes.

It was a flat game and atmosphere, so factors are there. Doesn’t stop my disappointment though.

This is all a wee bit annoying, as we all knew that the ticket price, proximity to first Euro tie, and school hols were going to impact the attendance.

However, consider this: if you asked Paul Hanlon what he thought was the most important game for Hibs between today's and Thursday's, what do you reckon he would say? He'd rather, if you had to choose, that you pitched up on Thursday- of that I'm certain.

Testimonial Due
    I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there.
    Do you have a PO Box we can all send our excuses to and then you can decide who gets tickets for Tynecastle?

Given that it was so early in the school holidays when so many are away that was actually a decent attendance today.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This is all a wee bit annoying, as we all knew that the ticket price, proximity to first Euro tie, and school hols were going to impact the attendance.

However, consider this: if you asked Paul Hanlon what he thought was the most important game for Hibs between today's and Thursday's, what do you reckon he would say? He'd rather, if you had to choose, that you pitched up on Thursday- of that I'm certain.
    Exactly, I doubt he’ll have been dot counting in the lead up to this one and was more preoccupied with the game when it started. I doubt he’ll be dot counting for Thursday either but as we all know he is a professional so will be focusing on Thursdays game above all.

I’ll be disappointed if we can’t get 10k+ on Thursday. Too many people taking it as a given and booking flights to Greece, we need to turn up on Thursday, too much arrogance going about, won’t be from Paul though.

Fantastic post SideBurns, I’d agree that Paul would say this!
    Hopefully be a few more Testimonial events for fans who couldn’t go today, to show their support for Paul

6000+ people turned up for his day, whats the problem?
    I stayed for the presentation but left before his lap of honour. My only 'excuse' was i wanted to get home sharp to have dinner with the kids.
    If it wasn't Pauls testimonial and just a friendly I wouldn't have been there today and I know i'm not the only one.

Demanding everyone stays for a lap of honour only loses respect for the day itself.

Exactly this. He said as much in his post match Thank You speech