hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Leeds game was the next round after Napoli. First leg some time in December then second leg January 1968. We went out 2-1
    Dont remind me Willie Wilson took five steps and Clive Thomas penalised him and Jack the giraffe neck Charlton equalised putting us out on aggregate.😬

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    My first European game! Think thats the loudest ER has been that I can remember. Away stand was packed with Hibs fans and Dnipro fans were based in the West as there was hust a handful of them IIRC.

Grant Stott was on the tannoy before the game, getting the fans going also I think.
    They should get the Big Hibby back to stoke up the fans as he is currently a free agent

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Tony Higgins diving header down the slope v Norkopping for a 3-2 win.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    My first European game! That and the Strasbourg game are my only memories of the old terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Did willie temperley not score a couple ?

I remember Norrkoping and Strasbourg. The hilarity when the team was announced with Dominique Dropsy in goals.

I was also at Oesters and Liverpool the season before

Found the footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR8iJ1ZjYU

2 for higgins and one for Temperley. Wasnt a diving header from Higgins. Classic Montford commentary, The first Norrkoping Goal was dramatic. A sensation.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Brilliant highlights. Funny how The memory plays tricks but st least I remembered it was Higgins who scored!
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Indeed, turns out it was Oesters and Sochaux the year before with Liverpool the year before that/

Looking back other than Malmo when I was abroad on holiday I have seen every home european tie since 1975. I picked a good one to miss

Left by mutual consent!
    Who remembers when we played Odense in the Intertoto cup?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Leeds away when we drew 0-0 was a match we might have won, i hardly remember much about the day apart from a fair bit of trouble, and i think Tony Higgins missing a clear header in the 6 yard box to win us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Leeds away when we drew 0-0 was a match we might have won, i hardly remember much about the day apart from a fair bit of trouble, and i think Tony Higgins missing a clear header in the 6 yard box to win us the game.
    Yeah I remember David Coleman raving about this new phenomenon Big Jim Cilla Black The overlapping centre half as he set off on one of his mazy runs up the park

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yeah I remember David Coleman raving about this new phenomenon Big Jim Cilla Black The overlapping centre half as he set off on one of his mazy runs up the park
    A decent centre half, but i wish Turnbull had spent the money replacing him and another keeper rather than breaking up the forward line by bringing in Harper, christ i'm sure we had near a hundred goals from that team, it hardly needed improving.

@hibs.net private member
    A decent centre half, but i wish Turnbull had spent the money replacing him and another keeper rather than breaking up the forward line by bringing in Harper, christ i'm sure we had near a hundred goals from that team, it hardly needed improving.

i was young at the time . 5-6 year old in the early 70's - but watched that team each week...for those that bit older..was Herriot viewed as not that great? I loved him as a kid..mud under the eyes...no gloves....magic!!

ps still get excited thinking about the walk up the stairs to the top of the terracing..and the smell of liniment on a floodlit evening game.... brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    i was young at the time . 5-6 year old in the early 70's - but watched that team each week...for those that bit older..was Herriot viewed as not that great? I loved him as a kid..mud under the eyes...no gloves....magic!!
    Great until Hadjuk Split away lost a couple of high balls to the back post not helped by a John Blackley own goal. He never played for us again!

He was ok, he did play behind a fantastic side who were always an injury or suspension away from being seriously weakened.

Herriot and Jim Black were good players in their own right, but at the time as a kid even i could see what my dad would say regularly, that a very good centre half and another better keeper, and we really could have won some serious trophies, and when you consider just how good celtic were, thats no mean statement.

@hibs.net private member
    Great until Hadjuk Split away lost a couple of high balls to the back post not helped by a John Blackley own goal. He never played for us again!

hadn't remembered that detail...cheers...was it McArthur that replaced him at that time?

@hibs.net private member
    He was ok, he did play behind a fantastic side who were always an injury or suspension away from being seriously weakened.

Herriot and Jim Black were good players in their own right, but at the time as a kid even i could see what my dad would say regularly, that a very good centre half and another better keeper, and we really could have won some serious trophies, and when you consider just how good celtic were, thats no mean statement.

you're breaking up the Tornado's man!

Big George Stewart would have come to us in a heartbeat not sure if he was the required quality but his commitment is without question a hibee through and through. Herriots replacement ended up being Jim McArthur a position he fell into at school to me he was capable but a bit small for a goalie not a Leighton or Goram.

What a team, i remember going home and away every week thinking how many will we score today.

Broken up way too early, and as much as Harper scored lots of goals for us, i'm not sure if we needed to recoup some of it which resulted in players leaving?

Should have signed George Stewart who was desperate to come but had to wait a few years and was certainly the second best centre half I’ve seen in a Hibs jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Should have signed George Stewart who was desperate to come but had to wait a few years and was certainly the second best centre half I’ve seen in a Hibs jersey.
    Aye he was a superb player for us, with the added bonus he hated the herts.

Nooooo ! Don’t do iiiiitttt!!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    HIBS 4 v 2 Hadjuk Split ECWC QF 1973

Last European hatrick before the mighty Flo.

https://youtu.be/fsJoPmTO08M
    That has shaken me up a bit. I’ve never seen any footage of this before. No memory of all green sleeves on the top either. I was only 9 at the time, went with the laddies from Elbe St, Leith. My memort of the game is sketchy, but seem to remember we were in front and they pulled it back to 3-2, then we scored a late 4th.

What a team, i remember going home and away every week thinking how many will we score today.

Broken up way too early, and as much as Harper scored lots of goals for us, i'm not sure if we needed to recoup some of it which resulted in players leaving?
    It was like watching a game of chess the beautiful game as it should be played. Herriot would roll the ball to Brownlie he would give it to Stanton who would give it to Edwards who would cross the ball into Gordon who would nod it down to wee Jimmy everyone knows his name 1-0 Same down the left. If the move broke down they would simply start again. A green machine the best brand of football the worlds ever seen!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    The AEK home game had one of the most loudest atmospheres i've ever seen.

if only Luna scored that header in the last minute.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post

Still never felt an atmosphere like that at ER. The roof would have come off had that went in.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post

A wonderful atmosphere, but for me The Sporting Lisbon game was the best i've experienced, better than Leeds or Liverpool.

Certainly the loudest i can remember.

A wonderful atmosphere, but for me The Sporting Lisbon game was the best i've experienced, better than Leeds or Liverpool.

Certainly the loudest i can remember.
    Second half down the slope no team on the planet would have lived with Turnbulls Tornadoes that night.Absolutely vintage HIBS. I remember at the start of the second half Duncan and Edwards swapped wings.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Second half down the slope no team on the planet would have lived with Turnbulls Tornadoes that night.Absolutely vintage HIBS. I remember at the start of the second half Duncan and Edwards swapped wings.
    Aye, gone are those days when we went to ER not wondering if we were going to win. Instead we all were wondering by how much.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

This, 100%.
    We were so close to being the perfect team.