hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR8iJ1ZjYU

There isnít much of our European adventures on you tube but this one also jogged the memory banks.
    A line up with Pat Carroll, Willie Temperley and Willie Murray in it, as well as Jackie Mac, Arthur Duncan .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR8iJ1ZjYU

There isn’t much of our European adventures on you tube but this one also jogged the memory banks.
    A line up with Pat Carroll, Willie Temperley and Willie Murray in it, as well as Jackie Mac, Arthur Duncan .
    Willie Murray ! That’s a blast from the past! Good player but my heart used to sink when the PA guy would announce George Best has a virus today so No 7 will be WILLIE MURRAY ! to the sound of quiet mumbling from the crowd especially in that Sunday Scottish Cup tie versus Ayr Utd when the French Rugby team were in town.

Malmo was a good trip despite the result.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Hibs v Hamburg. The Hamburg goalie had a green jersey on which caused all sorts of problems. Iím sure Joe Davis missed a penalty and we were down the slope for the first half. Standing at the Dunbar end when the final whistle went and waiting for the teams to come out for extra time.Went out on away goals and think the ref wasnít to sure what was going on.

First Team Breakthrough NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1648 View Post
    Hibs v Hamburg. The Hamburg goalie had a green jersey on which caused all sorts of problems. Iím sure Joe Davis missed a penalty and we were down the slope for the first half. Standing at the Dunbar end when the final whistle went and waiting for the teams to come out for extra time.Went out on away goals and think the ref wasnít to sure what was going on.
    Mind being at that game,as a laddie..one of the first games where the away goals rule came into being,I'm sure...no one quite understood the drill....

Quote Originally Posted by 1648 View Post
    Joe McBride had two goals wrongly ruled out for offside where is VAR when you need it ?

Hamburg had Uwe Seeler West German World Cup legend playing upfront who I think may have scored the decisive away goal.

HIBS 4 v 2 Hadjuk Split ECWC QF 1973

Last European hatrick before the mighty Flo.

https://youtu.be/fsJoPmTO08M

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: RD4138MU
    My first ever Hibs European game was against AEK Athens. Just simply what a night! Never seen Easter Road as loud as that for a long time. Atmosphere was simply electric! Amazing experience! I hope we get an atmosphere similar to when we play Asteras Tripolis next week.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

That team should have won the CWC

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Wonderful memories of that game, such a brilliant team, from memory we were beaten by a John Blackley mistake to go out 5-4 on aggregate, I also remember Jim Herriot being blamed by Turnbull for losing the goals as well, he was in the reserve taem the following Saturday.

@hibs.net private member
    Blog Entries

!

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Wonderful memories of that game, such a brilliant team, from memory we were beaten by a John Blackley mistake to go out 5-4 on aggregate, I also remember Jim Herriot being blamed by Turnbull for losing the goals as well, he was in the reserve taem the following Saturday.

early memories there...beautiful top too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Totally agree
    In my opinion,the best opportunity of any Hibernian team to win a European trophy.
    They were that good,folks !!
    I remember fans talking about/part planning going to the final the way people are now doing about the upcoming Euro tie/s
    IIRC the Cup Winners Cup Final final was in Greece that year.
    Not a bad/difficult journey for fans,even back then.

Sadly,getting knocked out eventually led to the premature demise of The Tornadoes.
    In hindsight,a very bad move on Neds part of course.
    As he himself acknowledged in later years.

que sera sera
    Yes also was planning to go to Greece for the final. Think it was 40pound flight there and back then but maybe memory a bit cloudy but we really should have reached the final

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First Team Regular GORDONSMITH7's Avatar
    My father Billy McKinley took me to the Barca game in 1961. In December 1968 or there abouts as a 14 year auld skipped school with a mate Peter Traynor RIP, in Musselburgh to see the Cabbage in the first game against Leeds. Colin Stein was carted off. 1-0 Leeds. Our fans rep Frank was on the bus. Happy days.

BIG G

First Team Breakthrough Halmyre Hibee's Avatar
    My first European night was Malmo in 1970 6-0 win and my only time abroad was Videoton in 1989 3-0 win.

That was some trip staying at Hotel Touring in Agard, Hungary. The cheapest drink ever and still laughing at the Goulash song from earlier posts.

Border guards with guns had obviously met a few Hibbys before our bus crossed into Hungary and were shouting "**** the Hertz" to us.

Bus from Hibs club to Gatwick then plane to Vienna then bus to Hungary and then the same back.

One of my mates took pictures but forgot to load the film / spool into his camera so no photos just great memories.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlydelivery View Post
    That team should have won the CWC
    They would have had to beat Leeds in the semi and AC Milan in the final.