• Losing quarter finalist versus Sweden/Swiss

20 17.39%
  • Losing in last 16 versus Columbia

13 11.30%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you keep stating that England are not good enough, then eventually they will get beaten and you will be one of the first to smugly and satisfyingly say "I told you so". How sad and pathetic that is.
    Is it so hard to accept and respect and compliment, even, an England team that romped their qualifying pre-world cup group, comfortably negotiated their world cup final group (even putting out a reserve side against Belgium) and have successfully made their way to the quarter finals of the greatest tournament on the planet? They fully deserved that victory against Colombia and their cynical tactics.
    You are, I suspect, one of those Scots who supports any team that England plays, such is your hatred and contempt for our British neighbours.
    I, on the other hand, as a Scot, want to see England crowned world champions as it raises the British profile and hammers home to the world that we Brits are winners, especially during this Brexit-negotiations period in our history when so many doubters and cynics from both home and abroad want to belittle us and put us down.
    Southgate’s Lip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Saying that Tunisia and Panama would beat Scotland....Is more laughable.
    Why? Scotland have struggled against comparable teams. Nothing in the footballing form of our country suggests victory could be taken for granted against such nations. Though, as Scotland has never qualified for a major tournament in many years, this question is academic.

My world cup just seems tae go from bad to worse.
    Now, dont get me wrong, england have played some decent fitba at times against weak opponents, and seem to have an easy ride to the semis, but, FFS will someone just knock them oot.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Don't care, we won the Scottish Cup, nothing else can get me down any more football wise 😁
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    There is only one set of supporters who have this mentality. England will fare badly against a quality team. You can rant on whichever way you want however, they are simply not good enough to win the World Cup.
    You only need to look in the mirror'

If you keep stating that England are not good enough, then eventually they will get beaten and you will be one of the first to smugly and satisfyingly say "I told you so". How sad and pathetic that is.
    Is it so hard to accept and respect and compliment, even, an England team that romped their qualifying pre-world cup group, comfortably negotiated their world cup final group (even putting out a reserve side against Belgium) and have successfully made their way to the quarter finals of the greatest tournament on the planet? They fully deserved that victory against Colombia and their cynical tactics.
    You are, I suspect, one of those Scots who supports any team that England plays, such is your hatred and contempt for our British neighbours.
    I, on the other hand, as a Scot, want to see England crowned world champions as it raises the British profile and hammers home to the world that we Brits are winners, especially during this Brexit-negotiations period in our history when so many doubters and cynics from both home and abroad want to belittle us and put us down.
    Support England, guys! You're weakening our Brexit negotiations!

I hope Donald Tusk doesn't read hibs.net

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Sweden looked great against Germany and Mexico, and never looked in trouble against South Korea. Anyone hanging their hat on the performance against Switzerland is on a fool's errand - let's not forget, it was the Swedes who stopped Italy from qualifying. England won, but created almost nothing in 120 minutes against a very negative Colombia, but I expect the quarter final to be a far more open game. I can't see it being a high scoring game, but think Sweden will win.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    You only need to look in the mirror'
    Was thinking English fans mate! Looking in the mirror will do no good neither, this is not England’s time!

But maybe you should take a look in the realism mirror, it might help you.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    They are gonna win the bloody thing. Too much has gone right for them and winning the shootout yesterday was a big thing.

Luckily am way to Greece on Friday so will miss the rest of it. Already yesterday people were singing in the street and beeping car horns. Bloody unbearable.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    They are gonna win the bloody thing. Too much has gone right for them and winning the shootout yesterday was a big thing.

Luckily am way to Greece on Friday so will miss the rest of it. Already yesterday people were singing in the street and beeping car horns. Bloody unbearable.
    Currently in Madeira with my missus and her family. Apart from my missus, her family are English! Wouldn’t deny them the night they had last night as you can imagine but even they are singing “it’s coming home” had to show them the facts that England is not the home of football. However, we are all having a brill time here. My thoughts if they get past Sweden, coming up against Brazil, Uruguay, the formidable Croatia or France, will be a step too far for them for now. In the future, maybe.

*slowly gets to his feet, hand raised to forehead in salute, a solitary tear rolling down his cheek as the first bars of God Save The Queen sound out triumphantly...*

Wait a second.. you cringe at people wanting their football rivals to get beat, but support England because of good old Blighty and brexit?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Wait a second.. you cringe at people wanting their football rivals to get beat, but support England because of good old Blighty and brexit?!

I never saw the brexit bit! Ha ha ha what a giant England winning the world cup solves all the brexit problems ... no wonder the UK is a mess, the britnats have absolutely no common sense nor sense of reality.

I was in London last week and watched Germany and Argentina's defeats to South Korea and France respectively in a London pub. I cringed as the England fans present laughed long and hard at the "Jerries" and the "Argies" exit.

It was of course all expressed in good humour without a whiff of xenophobia, and with stiff upper-lip British stoicism.

The half dozen young German lads in the same bar looked genuinely scared at some of the bile that was on display, but then I suppose it did remind them that "we Brits" are not to be messed around with when it comes to winning wars and wallowing in nostalgia.

To that end, I stuck on a Vera Lynn record on the jukebox, shed a silent tear for Winston Churchill and the bulldog spirit, and left the pub to make my way to the East End, comfortable that I could look them in the face again.

Rule Britannia, GSTQ, 1966, and all that.

Still think the winner will come from the other side of the draw - those teams are much stronger.

If England don’t get to the final, and give themselves a chance, those players will regret it for the rest of their lives. But Sweden, Croatia and Russia will all be thinking the same.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post

I don't think they're good enough to win it so you can probably relax and enjoy your holiday.

As for the street celebrations/flags flying from cars etc, this is a gripe I've never really understood from Scots who live down south. Doesn't it simply go with the territory if you live in England? They're entitled to celebrate. It would be the same up here if Scotland ever won a meaningful football match.

As I said on another thread, it strikes me these days that there's a bit of desperation about those who still cling to the anyone but England mantra. What, really, is the point of it? Last century, when Scotland were regularly in the mix to qualify for major tournaments I could understand it as there was a degree of one up-manship involved and you could claim England were our genuine rivals on the European/world stage. These days, though, you can hardly say they're our rivals in the way Hibs and Hearts are rivals. We've been so far off the pace for so long that there are bigger things to worry about than whether or not England win a football match. From what I've seen this current England squad seem a decent, level-headed bunch and it sounds like they deserved to win last night. Unless you have family/sentimental connections to Columbia would any Scot truthfully have got any genuine pleasure from 'supporting' them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I don't think they're good enough to win it so you can probably relax and enjoy your holiday.

As for the street celebrations/flags flying from cars etc, this is a gripe I've never really understood from Scots who live down south. Doesn't it simply go with the territory if you live in England? They're entitled to celebrate. It would be the same up here if Scotland ever won a meaningful football match.

As I said on another thread, it strikes me these days that there's a bit of desperation about those who still cling to the anyone but England mantra. What, really, is the point of it? Last century, when Scotland were regularly in the mix to qualify for major tournaments I could understand it as there was a degree of one up-manship involved and you could claim England were our genuine rivals on the European/world stage. These days, though, you can hardly say they're our rivals in the way Hibs and Hearts are rivals. We've been so far off the pace for so long that there are bigger things to worry about than whether or not England win a football match. From what I've seen this current England squad seem a decent, level-headed bunch and it sounds like they deserved to win last night. Unless you have family/sentimental connections to Columbia would any Scot truthfully have got any genuine pleasure from 'supporting' them?
    THE ENGLISH MEDIA MACHINE! Does that clear it up? ;D

You’re fooling nobody - as if our rivalry with hearts disappeared when we played in a different league to them for 2 years. Your anyone but Scotland overtones are far more confusing than anyone not wanting England to win the World Cup.

Unless of course it’s all deliberate...

@hibs.net private member
    Was thinking English fans mate! Looking in the mirror will do no good neither, this is not England’s time!

But maybe you should take a look in the realism mirror, it might help you.
    You were talking about the England supporters/media mentality and I said to look in the mirror - then you should see that they are not alone in the ups and downs of reactions to football results. Just watch any relating to the times Allys's Army and read the papers of that period.
    What gets on my threepennies is the constant regurgitation of the same old p*sh about stuff that happens pretty much every including your own backyard. By all means have opinions/likes/dislikes but stop using the same old tired excuses for them.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 04-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar

I was born and raised in England. Its the obnoxious and arrogant attitudes of the fans/media that I cannot stand. The team themselves I actually quite like. Guys like Harry Kane who is a consummate professional as well as being in my opinion world class. Much nicer than the bawbags of Terry for example.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member
    Yes it does really. If you still read newspapers and still believe them then you are beyond saving.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I never saw the brexit bit! Ha ha ha what a giant England winning the world cup solves all the brexit problems ... no wonder the UK is a mess, the britnats have absolutely no common sense nor sense of reality.

'britnats'

What a toxic wee thread this is.

If England were to go all the way and win it, would they deserve it then?

Blog Entries
    Don’t read newspapers but subjected to the worst media coverage of the WC in my lifetime! I’m 51 and remember 1978 very well. I have given my thoughts re the English national team and I fully stand by them.

I think I'll stick a tenner on them to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    'britnats'

What a toxic wee thread this is.

If England were to go all the way and win it, would they deserve it then?
    One of the real downsides to the independence 'debate' has been the way that terminology I always associated with the moron element in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland has started to permeate into more widespread use in Scotland. I cringe when I hear or see people using terms like 'britnat', 'yoon' or 'separatists' and so on. I honestly can't remember people speaing like that even 5 or 6 years ago but now it seems almost acceptable. It' such a daft notion that failure to rabidly support ABE is an indicator of your political or constitutional views.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Currently in Madeira with my missus and her family. Apart from my missus, her family are English! Wouldn’t deny them the night they had last night as you can imagine but even they are singing “it’s coming home” had to show them the facts that England is not the home of football. However, we are all having a brill time here. My thoughts if they get past Sweden, coming up against Brazil, Uruguay, the formidable Croatia or France, will be a step too far for them for now. In the future, maybe.
    You're not doing it right - far too laid back and good-natured. Go to a local bar, have far too much strong drink in hot weather, start a self-righteous rant about how we're downtrodden etc etc. and spend the rest of the holiday in the doghouse with a terrible hangover.

It's your duty!

Left by mutual consent!
    Not really. Sure, a lot of the older commentators are a bit stuck in a Boy's Own age of football but there are plenty of real bellends among the Scottish commentators/pundits too and were Scotland to qualify again for a major tournament does anyone imagine they would be non-partisan, impartial observers of our games? They English media traditionally set themselves up for a fall, and IMHO have done so again this time round, but what should they be doing instead? Writing off England's chances at every opportunity? They World Cup's all about trying to punt a feelgood factor for the nations involved.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    You’re fooling nobody - as if our rivalry with hearts disappeared when we played in a different league to them for 2 years. Your anyone but Scotland overtones are far more confusing than anyone not wanting England to win the World Cup.

Unless of course it’s all deliberate...
    Not sure about that. If, in some awful alternative universe, Hibs were rattling around in the second or third division for 20-plus years (similar to Scotland's exile from the top table) while Hearts were in the top flight the rivalry would be diluted.

I don't 'want' England to win the World Cup. I just don't think it would be the catastrophe some Scots seem to think. As I said, I'd be amazed if it actually happened so probably nothing to worry about. As for Scotland, they just irritate the hell out of me due to their endless ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    One of the real downsides to the independence 'debate' has been the way that terminology I always associated with the moron element in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland has started to permeate into more widespread use in Scotland. I cringe when I hear or see people using terms like 'britnat', 'yoon' or 'separatists' and so on. I honestly can't remember people speaing like that even 5 or 6 years ago but now it seems almost acceptable. It' such a daft notion that failure to rabidly support ABE is an indicator of your political or constitutional views.
    I agree but it's also extremely tedious that you can't enjoy a bit of banterous rivalry and want England to lose without being labelled bitter, desperate, childish etc or seemingly being filled with hatred and contempt etc. I'm the token Scot on a world cup whatsapp with some English pals and none of them seem to mind. Why does the holier than thou brigade on here have to get their knickers in such a twist?

Nothing to stop them winning it. There are no outstanding teams this year. The main powerhouses are playing nowhere near the level they have in the past. Its all there for the taking.