No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Record transfer between two Scottish clubs 10 years ago: £4.4m
    Record transfer between two English clubs 10 years ago: £29.1m

Record transfer between two Scottish clubs now: £4.4m
    Record transfer between two English clubs now: £76.2m

Sky money is a joke. If McGinn was English, playing in the Championship, he'd be worth £30m by now.

It'll all come home to roost eventually.The TV companies have already reduced the price they'll pay for domestic TV rights.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I hate celtic! No info on transfers or anything just thought I'd share that. Slowly crippling Scottish football. They will take in probably many millions in transfer fees, many millions with STs, many millions in merchandise, many millions in CL. Pass on as little as they can get away with to all other clubs in Scotland and take the best of their talent and then complain about lack of competition!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I hate celtic! No info on transfers or anything just thought I'd share that. Slowly crippling Scottish football. They will take in probably many millions in transfer fees, many millions with STs, many millions in merchandise, many millions in CL. Pass on as little as they can get away with to all other clubs in Scotland and take the best of their talent and then complain about lack of competition!
    They are doing well getting good fees from down south about time somebody else did as well. Selling Armstrong for over 6m and then offering us under 2m is actually insulting.

Just tell them LD it's not a negotiation it's £5m and SA yes or no.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Devil's advocate here.

What would you expect them to do? Being philanthropic towards other teams isn't going to help their own ambitions.

Turning it round, would you want us to pay over the market rate for players in the lower leagues?

Like it or not, and I don't particularly, every club looks after Number 1.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

That club have about as much morals as their Govan counterparts. Different cheek of the same arse. They wont care about robbing other Scottish teams dry while they are raking in millions. Horrible greedy club since around 1888

Left by mutual consent!
    You could say the same about all the big clubs. And I dare say people below us in the food chain could say the same a out us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    You could say the same about all the big clubs. And I dare say people below us in the food chain could say the same a out us.
    Correct. Only way to a more level playing field is a salary cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Even if it meant we didn’t get Scott Allan back?

Ideal scenario for me would be he goes down south and we still get Allan, but I reckon that Allan coming to Hibs will hinge on SJM going to Celtic. In that case, if the money is right, I’m happy for him to go.
    Sell him down south then bid £100k for Allan and remind Celtic they don't want to lose him for nothing

Blog Entries
    I have a funny feeling Celtc could go out Champions League very early. They're missing 4 World Cup players. If that happens they'll be shopping ( relatively ) in the bargain basement also.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Wrong.
    Everton bid £4.4m (same as Celtic) and the decision was left up to Scott Brown
    It was Reading not Everton. I think Brown may well have ended up in England if Everton were interested.

Left by mutual consent!
    Double cup winner with 2 different clubs, Scottish International.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Devil's advocate here.

What would you expect them to do? Being philanthropic towards other teams isn't going to help their own ambitions.

Turning it round, would you want us to pay over the market rate for players in the lower leagues?

Like it or not, and I don't particularly, every club looks after Number 1.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I'm afraid that sums it up. In recent years we've probably done as well as we ever have in transfer dealings with Celtic (Hendo, Dylan, Allan, Stokesy) when traditionally it has pretty much been one way traffic in the other direction. I'd imagine this has, to a greater or lesser degree, been due to Stubbs & Lennon's connections.

However, Celtic will do what is good for Celtic and that's the same for every club. I expect they won't be surprised that Hibs have knocked back their initial bid and the final agreement (should one be reached) will lie somewhere between the £1.5 million and our own valuation. That is the reality of negotiation.
    Last edited by SideBurns; 03-07-2018 at 06:21 PM.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    At least Lennon can say that there have been no serious bids for him.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=SideBurns;5451522]I'm afraid that sums it up. In recent years we've probably done as well as we ever have in transfer dealings with Celtic (Hendo, Dylan, Allan, Stokesy) when traditionally it has pretty much been one way traffic in the other direction. I'd imagine this has, to a greater or lesser degree, been due to Stubbs & Lennon's connections.

However, Celtic will do what is good for Celtic and that's the same for every club. I expect they won't be surprised that Hibs have knocked back their initial bid and the final agreement (should one be reached) will lie somewhere between the £1.5 million and our own valuation. That is the reality of negotiation.[/QU
    Does Big Efe enter that category as well......what a player he has been

[QUOTE=Hibeewilly;5451879]
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I'm afraid that sums it up. In recent years we've probably done as well as we ever have in transfer dealings with Celtic (Hendo, Dylan, Allan, Stokesy) when traditionally it has pretty much been one way traffic in the other direction. I'd imagine this has, to a greater or lesser degree, been due to Stubbs & Lennon's connections.

However, Celtic will do what is good for Celtic and that's the same for every club. I expect they won't be surprised that Hibs have knocked back their initial bid and the final agreement (should one be reached) will lie somewhere between the £1.5 million and our own valuation. That is the reality of negotiation.[/QU
    Does Big Efe enter that category as well......what a player he has been
    Jeez, how could I forget big Efe? He's been marvellous. I'm embarrassed. That's 5 players signed either on loan or permanently from Celtic in the last few seasons who have made huge contributions. We haven't done too badly out of them in recent years...

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=SideBurns;5451904]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post

Jeez, how could I forget big Efe? He's been marvellous. I'm embarrassed. That's 5 players signed either on loan or permanently from Celtic in the last few seasons who have made huge contributions. We haven't done too badly out of them in recent years...
    With Gray coming back Sideburns Efe might have a midfield role this year......another poster mentioned that this morning before me.....remember Bamba

[QUOTE=Hibeewilly;5451962]
    With Gray coming back Sideburns Efe might have a midfield role this year......another poster mentioned that this morning before me.....remember Bamba
    No reason why Efe couldnae play midfield - if he did, I'd feel less nervous when he embarks on one of his lazy runs! Wonder if Lenny has given it any thought.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=SideBurns;5451973]

No reason why Efe couldnae play midfield - if he did, I'd feel less nervous when he embarks on one of his lazy runs! Wonder if Lenny has given it any thought.
    Im thinking he will be a class act in there mate

[QUOTE=Hibeewilly;5451993]
    Im thinking he will be a class act in there mate
    Suspect you'd be right mate. He strikes me as the kind of player who could comfortably fill any position. His 'bombscare' reputation is, imo, down to over confidence and the fact he finds the game so easy leading to occasional lapses in concentration and complacency.

Anyway, we seem to have turned this into an Efe thread 😁

I'd keep him for another season rather than take a derisory 1.5m.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=SideBurns;5452016]

Suspect you'd be right mate. He strikes me as the kind of player who could comfortably fill any position. His 'bombscare' reputation is, imo, down to over confidence and the fact he finds the game so easy leading to occasional lapses in concentration and complacency.

Anyway, we seem to have turned this into an Efe thread 😁
    I'm sure he plays in midfield for Nigeria when selected and came to Celtic as a DM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    I don't think we throw our weight about and use the press the way celtic and their twin does. 1.5 for McGinn is a derisory amount when you consider what they have brought in for Armstrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    The players probably have/had no idea what happened before final bids were made. RP was very much minded to accept the 2nd bid made, about £4m for both. JC told him he was way undervaluing them. TBF to RP he listened to JC. When he received circa £6,5m for the twins it totally changed RP's thinking about future transfers which helped JC persuade him re giving Fletch a new, much more lucrative contract. It was without doubt RP who was involved in the transfer negotiations but before JC 's intervention, he had been ready to accept offers at end 2006. Remember RP is the guy who sold O'Connor to Russia weeks after our window had closed & when we were in a cup semi final against Hawrts. If he'd sold Broony, when he & Katie wanted to go, we probably would not have won the 2007 League Cup.
    Sorry but we're going to have to disagree on this one.
    As I said before your version is as JC would want you to think. Squad at the time tell a very different story.

Yes you're right if we'd sold Brown/Thomson when they wanted to go, we probably would not have won the CIS Cup.
    But difference is I was told JC wanted both Brown/Thomson out in that January window.

The Board didn't think this was in the interest of the Club and reluctantly agreed to sell Thomson.
    Club gets a fee way above JC's valuation. But of course JC claims it was his deal!

Brown you'll not see him say a bad word about Hibs and when asked is very complimentary in the way he was dealt with after the window shut through to him leaving.
    Ask him - I did. Club gets a valuation above that of JC - but of course JC claims it was his deal!!

On Fletch, Club were just following the policy they'd adopted years before in getting young players with potential on long term contracts.
    Miller, Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Murphy, Whittaker were all put on long term deals before being sold - but of course JC claims Fletch was his idea!!!

So, as I've been told it, if JC had got his way in that January window club would have sold Brown/Thomson for lower fees than we got and both players would have been gone before the CIS final. Would we have been happy with that? I think not. But that didn't so it's easy to claim a different story because of the positive outcome.

See there are two sides to a story. I know which one I believe as been told it by several players over the years, and not just those directly involved, but I'm sure you have you're reasons for believing you're side of things.

I have great memories of JC, as old enough to remember him as a young Hibs Player, and will always appreciate him taking over the team and the fabulous performance in the CIS Cup Final but after that it went completely wrong and his lack of man-management was found out. The Dunfermline Scot Cup Semi loss was just embarrassing and the team was on a downward spiral. Then when it comes to recruitment I just can't bear to type some of the names. Needless to say not one of them make my all-time Hibs team.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    I'd keep him for another season rather than take a derisory 1.5m.

And then lose him for nothing ?

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    If we win another trophy or qualify for Europe it might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    having won us a cup and a higher league placing that bring in, between them, that 1.5m

so a season to remember and enjoy on the field plus 1.5m

or a Shan deal from Celtic now for the same 1.5?

easy decision

@hibs.net private member
    Reports suggesting there will be more discussions today as they need to register him before close of business tomorrow for their Euro game next week.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Reports suggesting there will be more discussions today as they need to register him before close of business tomorrow for their Euro game next week.
    Fingers crossed. It’s going to happen so I’d rather it happened ASAP. Does this mean that we have to have players registered by tomorrow to play in our game aswell?

Will McGinn be cup tied for Celtic in Europe if he plays next week?