hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Yes I would rather he left for nothing in the summer then our club be bullied into accepting an offer that's not good enough. I would not at all be happy with our board if we let another club walk all over us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

there's no way the actual fee we receive in the end will be disclosed in any deal for mcginn if Celtic are the winning bidder.which hibs fans have a right to know imo.no felt this disappointed in a while!!I will say this though Celtic have had a good track record of facilitating us recently in any dealings we've had with them, so I hope they realise McGinn is the best Scottish midfielder around today and act accordingly!!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I would rather he left for nothing in the summer then our club be bullied into accepting an offer that's not good enough. I would not at all be happy with our board if we let another club walk all over us.
    No one is being bullied or being walked over.

If Celtc are the only club to bid for a player who we have clearly put up for sale, then our valuation is irrelevant.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    there's no way the actual fee we receive in the end will be disclosed in any deal for mcginn if Celtic are the winning bidder.which hibs fans have a right to know imo.no felt this disappointed in a while!!I will say this though Celtic have had a good track record of facilitating us recently in any dealings we've had with them, so I hope they realise McGinn is the best Scottish midfielder around today and act accordingly!!
    Why are you so disappointed? We rejected the bid. This is how it works. We took him from St Mirren for less than he was worth as well. We don't have a right to know anything. We only have a right to expect him to be replaced properly and the club continue to move forward.

@Hibbyradge

In a way but we hold a valuation on him and after Lennon going on about 5 Million and watching him as a player over the past 3/4 Years if we were to sell short to Celtic I would be fuming. Conceding his valuation because he would walk free in the summer wouldn't make me feel any less robbed.

@Hibbyradge

In a way but we hold a valuation on him and after Lennon going on about 5 Million and watching him as a player over the past 3/4 Years if we were to sell short to Celtic I would be fuming. Conceding his valuation because he would walk free in the summer wouldn't make me feel any less robbed.
    I understand your feelings and I'll share your disappointment if we don't get a hefty fee for him, but we're not in s strong position because he can sign a pre-contract in 6 months.

I remember how Gary Caldwell was treated after he signed a pre-contract. I don't want that to happen to SJM.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

If Celtc are the only club to bid for a player who we have clearly put up for sale, then our valuation is irrelevant.
    Also irrelevant if Celtc is the only club he will go to irrespective of whether other clubs bid more.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Our valuation isn't irrelevant as he has a value to us on the park.

He's not an idle asset that will just sit there gathering dust and depreciating in value until he leaves, every week he plays and contributes to us finishing higher up the league or competing in cups he is adding value to the club. If we feel we can't improve the club with the money Celtic are offering then his value to us outweighs the transfer value being offered so he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I'm not clear as to why a player (Armstrong)with the same length of contract to go,fewer caps and a poor recent injury record is considered to be worth much more than McGinn.
    Peter Lawwell

I'm sure we'll get offered more, but if £1.5m is the highest bid we receive, then that's what he's worth.

As tempting as it might be to tell them to ram it and let him go for nowt in 12 months, that would be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

£1.5m is enough to pay for 2 or 3 very decent 3 year contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    Have to disagree, if 1.5 mil is the top offer which it will not be but if it was it needs to be rejected, by the time we give St Mirren their cut it would be better to keep him. We will make the money up on another good season with McGinn playing for us. McGinn staying in my opiion would produce more season ticket sales and probably more walk ups.

As i say 1.5 is the starting point us hibby,s will need to watch from the sidelines because there is no way that will be the only bid for him, let the auction begin
    I think you have mistaken Radge's viewpoint - it is realism not desired.

We will NOT let SJM run down his contract - we will sell. The player calls the shots as to where he moves also...
    Last edited by IWasThere2016; 03-07-2018 at 11:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Wherever John ends up lets make sure we include a healthy sell on percentage to any deal.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Couple of things to bear in mind here.

There probably isn't anyone in the country better qualified than Neil Lennon to know how Celtc think, what they want and what is most likely to work with them when it comes to negotiations.

McGinn has two values - what another club will pay and/or exchange for him and what he would be worth to us on the park for another season. If Celtc want him they will have to offer a value in cash and/or players that exceeds the on the field value. If he leaves at the end of his contract we get nothing but we also owe St Mirren nothing. If he leaves in contract then the third that goes to St Mirren will have to be taken account of when setting the value of the offer against his value to us on the pitch for another season.

In a team of Petrie, Dempster and Lennon there is just no way we are going to get short changed. In other words if we deal, it will be because in net terms it's a good deal for us, otherwise we won't deal.

My tuppence worth on a deal: We want Scott Allan, Griffiths on loan for two years and cash - let's call it £2.25M. That's valuing McGinn at just over £3m, which is about fair enough I reckon.

Oh and Celtc, pay St Mirren for us would you, there's a good vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Our valuation isn't irrelevant as he has a value to us on the park.

He's not an idle asset that will just sit there gathering dust and depreciating in value until he leaves, every week he plays and contributes to us finishing higher up the league or competing in cups he is adding value to the club. If we feel we can't improve the club with the money Celtic are offering then his value to us outweighs the transfer value being offered so he stays.
    That's true.

How much we need to improve the team, or even keep it on an even keel, only Neil Lennon knows.

It's all academic anyway. I'm sure we'll receive a higher offer which we'll accept. I hope it's not from Celtc though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Anyone else take the £1.5m + Allan perm + mcginn loaned back for the season??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post

Make it £2.5m + Allan, Sparky, and McGinn loaned back for the season and you have yourself a deal!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post

I would but don't see it happening.

Why would Celtic want to do that when they could save themselves a fee by just getting a pre signed in January.

Testimonial Due
    Does anyone actually know what St Mirren's cut is? Or is the 1/3rd thing this year's £150k for Leigh Griffiths from Wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    Does anyone actually know what St Mirren's cut is? Or is the 1/3rd thing this year's £150k for Leigh Griffiths from Wolves?
    The St Mirren owner at the time indicated it was 33% however he was under extreme pressure from fans so it is possible he may have exaggerated the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I would but don't see it happening.

Why would Celtic want to do that when they could save themselves a fee by just getting a pre signed in January.
    To stop another team buying him.

Coaching Staff
    I agree.

The highest offer we receive is what he's worth.
    And at the moment it's the only offer received, unless someone knows differently.

Left by mutual consent!

What if bid was 100k?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    And tbh, we have a history of developing players, and Celtic picking them up. Our board, tbh, have good relations with Celtic, and both parties have benefited from this. As much as I hate it, there is likely a desire to maintain decent relations, so Celtic loaning him back isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    They could simply do that by getting a message to him via his agent not to sign for anyone, let his contract run down and they would offer him £x to sign for them .

If Celtic sign him it will be to use him, not loan back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    And tbh, we have a history of developing players, and Celtic picking them up. Our board, tbh, have good relations with Celtic, and both parties have benefited from this. As much as I hate it, there is likely a desire to maintain decent relations, so Celtic loaning him back isn't beyond the realms of possibility.
    In saying that, I would much rather we ****ed Celtic over, and sold him down South.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    It became a .net fact cause people want to believe the St Mirren chairman over their own chairman who stated it was nowhere near 33%
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    It became a .net fact cause people want to believe the St Mirren chairman over their own chairman who stated it was nowhere near 33%

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    In saying that, I would much rather we ****ed Celtic over, and sold him down South.
    Even if it meant we didn’t get Scott Allan back?

Ideal scenario for me would be he goes down south and we still get Allan, but I reckon that Allan coming to Hibs will hinge on SJM going to Celtic. In that case, if the money is right, I’m happy for him to go.

Testimonial Due
    with a year to run £2 mill plus Allan.

@hibs.net private member

SJM hasn’t been put up for sale. He is a contracted footballer to Hibernian FC. LD has previously said there is no need to sell him.

We have an asset of a footballer and someone who can contribute to our continued success on and off the pitch.

We should only sell if an offer is on our terms and if we run the risk of losing him for nothing next year than so be it. We have no need to accept paltry offers.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    They could simply do that by getting a message to him via his agent not to sign for anyone, let his contract run down and they would offer him £x to sign for them .

If Celtic sign him it will be to use him, not loan back to us.
    Yes that would work as long as he didnt consider other offers if for example an EPL team came in for him.