hibs.net Messageboard

Page 54 of 80 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2389
    @hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give him an extra £2k per week on a 2 year deal and put in a buy out clause of £1.5m.

He'd still get his move next summer, he earns an extra £100k over the year and we get to keep him for another season.

IMO That's what will happen if we don't sell him this transfer window.
    Buy out clause is 4 million now

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Buy out clause is 4 million now

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Then he wouldn't sign it

Realistic buy out clause for next summer would suit all parties if he can't get a move this summer.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Give him an extra £2k per week on a 2 year deal and put in a buy out clause of £1.5m.

He'd still get his move next summer, he earns an extra £100k over the year and we get to keep him for another season.

I don't think SJM would like us standing in his way of moving because we think £2m isn't enough but would be happy to take £1.5m next summer. Even with a pay rise, it would still be less than he'd get at Celtic and would hold him back by a year.

Although I agree it would be the best outcome for us.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't think SJM would like us standing in his way of moving because we think £2m isn't enough but would be happy to take £1.5m next summer. Even with a pay rise, it would still be less than he'd get at Celtic and would hold him back by a year.

Not sure it would hold him back a year - think he’s a long term solution for Celtic, but will still be on their bench next season. Another season at Hibs would arguably be more beneficial to him (and Celtic).

An interesting proposition. Not sure whether he'd go for it or not.

There's a bit I like about it and it ties in with why I'm loathe to rush into deals we're not sure about.

We have some trouble this window because we wound up with most of the midfield and striking options all running out around the same time.
    That's given us more work to do that anyone likes.

I want to see us build and that's about getting some transfer windows that don't involve major surgery.
    Keeping McGinn for a year would actually help that.

Having Mallan and Flo on long term deals will help that assuming they carry on their form.

To me, having this kind of continuity and getting to a point where we're looking to add a couple of gems rather than remodel the squad in transfer windows is the next step towards the club being where we want it to be.

Let Celtic pay the full whack. They have the money, they can afford it and Hibs know it.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

Standing in his way? I'm sure he's smart enough to understand we've every right to put whatever valuation we feel is suitable on him.

£100k over a course of a year is a big difference to a young guy. I think once the dust has settled he'll appreciate he's better to earn that over a year than just stick out his contract. There's also the possibility of offering him a % of any transfer fee as a further incentive although with St Mirren already getting a fair whack that may not be feasible.

I suppose my point is, once the transfer window closes there are still other options available to us and SJM. It's not as simple as sell him now or get nothing next year.

FWIW i think he'll go to Celtic when we get knocked out of Europe.

Just out of interest has there been any proper conformation that RP or LD value John McGinn at £4 million?

Every quote I heard from Neil Lennon over the last 8 months was at £5 million, When did the sources/newspapers/media reduce the valuation by a fifth.

...personally I would say at least as much as Stuart Armstrong's transfer to Southhampton if not more, McGinn is a better player.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    Just out of interest has there been any proper conformation that RP or LD value John McGinn at £4 million?

Every quote I heard from Neil Lennon over the last 8 months was at £5 million, When did the sources/newspapers/media reduce the valuation by a fifth.

...personally I would say at least as much as Stuart Armstrong's transfer to Southhampton if not more, McGinn is a better player.
    Aye, let’s hold out for £8 million for a player we are paying 2k a week and has a year left on his contract.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Aye, let’s hold out for £8 million for a player we are paying 2k a week and has a year left on his contract.
    who mentioned £8m?

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    who mentioned £8m?
    Response to the post about McGinn being worth more than Armstrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Response to the post about McGinn being worth more than Armstrong.
    would help if i read it properly!!

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    the poster replied to someone asking why a reduction in the valuation that lennon has been quoted as saying he is worth though
    And half of his post said that he personally thinks we should hold out for more than Stuart Armstrong. I was questioning his personal opinion of how the situation should play out.

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    And half of his post said that he personally thinks we should hold out for more than Stuart Armstrong. I was questioning his personal opinion of how the situation should play out.
    as per above

Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post

Problem is that it's not about whether McGinn is a better player.
    Mbappe is not only 60% of the player that Neymar is for example and yet that's what their transfer fee says.

It's a combination of factors - number and size of clubs interested, size of those clubs, size of the selling club, player's preference and many more things.
    Like it or loathe it Celtic are a richer club who offer a more attractive set of competitions to play in than Hibs and consequently any player they have will attract bigger bids regardless of whether subjective (or even objective) comparisons suggest they're not as good.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Is he worth forfeiting £600k for a year of his services?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Yes. You could get some of that back in prize money and also not need to buy a replacement

depends on how you look at it, he could be the difference in helping us win a cup which would make us more than the £600k,orprogressing to another round of the europa league which again is more money

McGinn is worth more to Hibs this season than what Celtc are offering.

McGinn is top quality and makes a real difference to the squad. At the end of the day, I’d prefer a scenario where we finish 3rd, and potentially, if the draw is good to us, qualify for Europa League group stages, but then lose McGinn on a free at the end of a season, than accept Celtic’s derisory, contemptuous and hun-esque bids.

Coaching Staff
    Can see this ending as a pre contract deal in Jan. Got all the signs of agent manipulation about the whole episode.
    Last edited by Lago; 23-07-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Yes. You could get some of that back in prize money and also not need to buy a replacement
    It's unlikely that we'll win anything with or without him and we'd still have to pay for a replacement in a year's time.

We'd also lose any chance of a sell on clause if he had a £1.5m buy out value.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

It's unlikely that we'll win anything with or without him and we'd still have to pay for a replacement in a year's time.

This is pretty important.

I suspect Hibs would want to set up a deal involving a sell on clause and/or extra payments around appearances and caps.
    This plus the arrangements around other players coming the other way is as likely to be the sticking point as the actual fee itself.

That kind of nuance doesn't sell papers as well as the "Celtic refuse to be held to ransom on McGinn fee" headlines that have Hibs fans thinking Celtic are insulting our club and vice versa.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    No we wouldn't. It is possible for a buy-out clause to also stipulate that an acceptable sell-on clause must be agreed.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Standing in his way? I'm sure he's smart enough to understand we've every right to put whatever valuation we feel is suitable on him.

£100k over a course of a year is a big difference to a young guy. I think once the dust has settled he'll appreciate he's better to earn that over a year than just stick out his contract. There's also the possibility of offering him a % of any transfer fee as a further incentive although with St Mirren already getting a fair whack that may not be feasible.

I suppose my point is, once the transfer window closes there are still other options available to us and SJM. It's not as simple as sell him now or get nothing next year.

FWIW i think he'll go to Celtic when we get knocked out of Europe.
    But if we're agreeing to let him go for £1.5m once he's a year further forward then what does that say about our valuation of him now?

100k is a big amount, 200k is even bigger - and it is probably even more than that which he'll get at Celtic.

Signing this contract, while it would be a good nod of appreciation to Saints and Hibs, would also be detrimental (albeit immaterially) to his future employers - I don't see why he'd want to make it more expensive for his future club to sign him.

I'd still agree that it's an offer we should make if he's still here at the end of the window and highlighting the financial advantage to him (when it's at the point of him being at Hibs regardless) and how beneficial it would be to us/Saints.
    Mon the Hibs.

There is absolutely no way Hibs will pay McGinn more money and then agree to sell him for less than they’ve turned down now.Why should they?He’s contracted to be here and is a good pro who won’t throw the toys out of the pram if he doesn’t move now.

Wonder if we play him on Thursday quite like this resolved already so we can do other business.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    There is absolutely no way Hibs will pay McGinn more money and then agree to sell him for less than they’ve turned down now.Why should they?He’s contracted to be here and is a good pro who won’t throw the toys out of the pram if he doesn’t move now.
    And equally, if he signs a pre contract with Celtic in January, I think we will get 100% effort from him, and none of the nonsense about him not being in a frame of mind to play out the rest of the season.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

We've won the Scottish since Scott Brown and we'd still be waiting on that particular sell on clause value xx

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    We've won the Scottish since Scott Brown and we'd still be waiting on that particular sell on clause value xx
    I don't understand your point about SB.

Hibs have won 3 Scottish and 3 League cups in our 147 year history. That suggests we're unlikely to win something.

I don't understand your point about SB.

Hibs have won 3 Scottish and 3 League cups in our 147 year history. That suggests we're unlikely to win something.
    Or we won two cups in ten years which suggests we may win something