hibs.net Messageboard

Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2389
    You'd think if we didn't sell him in this window, that he would hopefully sign a 1 years extension with a decent jump in wages and go next summer, don't think he'd like for us and St Mirren to get nothing.

Or is that just wishful thinking?! John seems like a good lad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like we are going in to the Greek tie with only one recognized striker as I don't think Oli Shaw is up to being a first team regular yet. We left it late signing players last year and we are doing the same last year. We are WEAKER now than when we finished last season. Not good enough.
    There's a lot of teams leave it late - look at the activity on the day the transfer window shuts right up until the very last minute.

That would strongly suggest that this isn't a "Hibs thing" as many on here present it as but a wider issue in football.

Most likely many players and a fair few teams are looking for the bigger, better deal which, like it or not, Hibs are not going to be for players of the quality we want. Flo we played a blinder on with the loan deal and Mallan probably wanted back to Scotland and had no possibility of the OF or Aberdeen hence we were the best option.

Now, take MacLaren for example - it sounds as though he wants to play in England more than he wants to play at Hibs but that he wants to play for Hibs more than he wants to play (or not play) for Damstadt. It also sounds like we're in contact with him (and probably with others too).

It may be the case that there are 2 or 3 on an equal footing and whichever comes to fruition first is our new striker. It may be that we really want MacLaren and are not prepared to push other options through while there's still a chance of signing him. As it nears the end of the window Hibs become a more attractive proposition to MacLaren or getting a deal through may become a more attractive option to Hibs.

I suspect there's a lot of that kind of thing going on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    You'd think if we didn't sell him in this window, that he would hopefully sign a 1 years extension with a decent jump in wages and go next summer, don't think he'd like for us and St Mirren to get nothing.

Or is that just wishful thinking?! John seems like a good lad.
    I wish we'd just give him the 8k a week or so he wants like you say on a 1 year extension and be done with all the Celtic **** talk.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I wish we'd just give him the 8k a week or so he wants like you say on a 1 year extension and be done with all the Celtic **** talk.
    We won't be able to pay anyone £8k a week. Not until we get into the Europa league stages every season, anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    A classy football club would not be leaking their failed offers to the press.

Celtic showing themselves up here
    Is it Celtic or McGinn’s agent that’s leaking the info to the press?

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    There's a lot of teams leave it late - look at the activity on the day the transfer window shuts right up until the very last minute.

That would strongly suggest that this isn't a "Hibs thing" as many on here present it as but a wider issue in football.

Most likely many players and a fair few teams are looking for the bigger, better deal which, like it or not, Hibs are not going to be for players of the quality we want. Flo we played a blinder on with the loan deal and Mallan probably wanted back to Scotland and had no possibility of the OF or Aberdeen hence we were the best option.

Now, take MacLaren for example - it sounds as though he wants to play in England more than he wants to play at Hibs but that he wants to play for Hibs more than he wants to play (or not play) for Damstadt. It also sounds like we're in contact with him (and probably with others too).

It may be the case that there are 2 or 3 on an equal footing and whichever comes to fruition first is our new striker. It may be that we really want MacLaren and are not prepared to push other options through while there's still a chance of signing him. As it nears the end of the window Hibs become a more attractive proposition to MacLaren or getting a deal through may become a more attractive option to Hibs.

I suspect there's a lot of that kind of thing going on.
    I have no problem leaving it late to sign players, but not when we have a huge European game to win. My issue is with us not being prepared for our European campaign. Same as last time, we didn't have the squad prepared, and it looks like the same again. What's the point in trying to finish in a European spot if we don't take it seriously. Going in with only Shaw and Flo as our frontline and Murray gone, not good enough.

Celtic should be given a deadline. If they haven't stumped up what's required by the end of the week he won't be sold to them in this window.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Is it Celtic or McGinn’s agent that’s leaking the info to the press?

GGTTH
    If Celtic weren't happy with the info being "out there" [on more than one occasion, remember] and if they thought that would jeopardise the deal, believe me, they would absolutely carpet the agent.

Instead there are interviews with their manager and team captain talking up McGinn.

I'm pretty happy to lay this one firmly on the doorstep of Celtic Football Club, Shan Street, Glasgow.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Just a wee reminder

It's Celtc. If it's good enough for the self anointed "best fans in the world" surely we should make the effort.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Are there any bids from down South ?

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    It also keeps being pointed out that SOUTHAMPTON/DERBY/BRIGHTON/BIRMINGHAM OR WHOEVER CAN COME AND OFFER TEN MILLION BUT IF MCGINN DOESNT WANT TO GO AS IS WIDLY REPORTED ITS IRRELEVANT. maybe that’s why is not happened.
    Boldy bit. I’m not ITK, but my reading of the runes is SJM wants to go to the unwashed, due to family connection and probably is a fan. No English team has come in so far as he or his agent have made quite clear where he wants to go.

We can hope that Derby or whoever come in with a bid to put one over on Celtic, but if he doesn’t fancy a gig in Derby, then the deal won’t happen.

He wants to go West and I guess Hibs and Celtic are just gonna have to play chicken until somebody blinks first.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    One thing is strange if Hibs want Allan and another on top of the money why are we not saying so .
    "Look make it 2.5 mill and these two players and we have a deal."
    Maybe that talk is going on in don't know but the indication is its not.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I have no problem leaving it late to sign players, but not when we have a huge European game to win. My issue is with us not being prepared for our European campaign. Same as last time, we didn't have the squad prepared, and it looks like the same again. What's the point in trying to finish in a European spot if we don't take it seriously. Going in with only Shaw and Flo as our frontline and Murray gone, not good enough.
    Ok. So it sounds like you understand why we haven't got the players in we'd like in the first part of your post but then you're saying "not good enough".
    What would you suggest?

Sign a player who's not what we think we want and hope it pans out?
    Break the wage structure or transfer budget to force the issue with a player and get them to sign?

Basically, it comes down to rolling the dice - either you roll them to try to get further in Europe by signing some players or you roll them by being prepared to take on that game with the players we've got.

Personally, I think that having some combination of Kamberi, Boyle, Shaw, Mallan, McGinn and Slivka can have a decent tilt at beating Asteras Tripolis over two legs. Yes, there's nothing on the bench and no it's not ideal but it's also nowhere near the point of we may as well not bother turning up.

Not trying to be a dick and I get your point - I just don't think we should sign for the sake of signing or push the boat out too far for a game we can win with what we have and might lose anyway with a couple of rushed signings. Have an opinion but if it's that the club are "not good enough" you need to give what you'd have done differently.

Coaching Staff
    Some sense getting talked recently...

The way I see it, Celtic do NOT have an urgent need for McGinn, but DO want him.

Hence why, what is seen by many as desultory bids by Celtic so far, are at that figure because they know if they wait, McGinn will end up a Celtic player in January for probably half what he would cost just now....or for nowt, this time next season.

A sudden serious injury to a couple of their existing midfielders, would push SJM’s value up considerably and immediately.

At the moment though, they appear in no rush to conclude a deal at a higher price than they will pay in January.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Does SJM want to move? Yes.
    Do Hibs want to sell? Yes.
    Do Celtic want to buy? Yes.
    It's just a wee game they all play before a deal is eventually struck somewhere in the middle.
    Celtic try to screw us, we try to screw Motherwell, Motherwell try to screw Dumbarton etc.
    It was ever thus.
    When was the last time you heard of Hibs making 3 failed bids for a player, while Hibs players openly talked to the media in an effort to influence the dealings ? Nope, that’s a crass way to do business.

Yes, everyone wants a good deal but please ... let’s not confuse Hibs class with that horrible mob from Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    Boldy bit. I’m not ITK, but my reading of the runes is SJM wants to go to the unwashed, due to family connection and probably is a fan. No English team has come in so far as he or his agent have made quite clear where he wants to go.

We can hope that Derby or whoever come in with a bid to put one over on Celtic, but if he doesn’t fancy a gig in Derby, then the deal won’t happen.

He wants to go West and I guess Hibs and Celtic are just gonna have to play chicken until somebody blinks first.
    If Derby or someone else came in with a £ 4m cash bid (which Hibs accepted) and SJM said he was only interested in Celtic how would that make SJM and Celtic look if they continued with their lowball offers and uhw went for pennies in Jan ??

I preferred when we didn't hear about it at all until it was completed but the internet has put a stop to that.
    Now everybody is an expert and every made up rumour is given credence.
    The world is not a better place for it.

Is there anything funnier than Celtic and rangers fans sense of entitlement about players who play in Scotland that they want to sign?

Hibs have a price tag on a player, they'd be open to negotiation if a decent alternative deal is on the table.
    Celtic make derisory offer.
    Hibs reject.
    Celtic fans "YOU ARE HOLDING A YOUNG TALENTED PLAYER BACK. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE REJECTING OUR BIDS? WE WILL JUST SIGN HIM FOR FREE IN JANUARY"

And repeat for the huns like Scott Allan and for every player they want in Scotland. They done the exact same with the Motherwell goalie in January and Motherwell told them to ram it and they were coming out with the same pish then.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    If Derby or someone else came in with a £ 4m cash bid (which Hibs accepted) and SJM said he was only interested in Celtic how would that make SJM and Celtic look if they continued with their lowball offers and uhw went for pennies in Jan ??
    Derby and co are unlikely to come in with a bid in the first place unless they’ve got confirmation that McGinn wants to join them. That scenario isn’t going to happen.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Don’t see why Derby would just come in and offer £4m when the previous highest bid is £2 million. Celtic aren’t the only club who want players as cheap as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Is there anything funnier than Celtic and rangers fans sense of entitlement about players who play in Scotland that they want to sign?

Hibs have a price tag on a player, they'd be open to negotiation if a decent alternative deal is on the table.
    Celtic make derisory offer.
    Hibs reject.
    Celtic fans "YOU ARE HOLDING A YOUNG TALENTED PLAYER BACK. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE REJECTING OUR BIDS? WE WILL JUST SIGN HIM FOR FREE IN JANUARY"

And repeat for the huns like Scott Allan and for every player they want in Scotland. They done the exact same with the Motherwell goalie in January and Motherwell told them to ram it and they were coming out with the same pish then.
    It's tiresome isn't it? Makes you realise Celtic are just the other cheek of the same arse as Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    I don't think John would turn down a big club down south.
    Fulham keep getting mentioned according to someone on a hibs page they have put a bid of 4million in .
    I hope so I'll watch this space

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Don’t see why Derby would just come in and offer £4m when the previous highest bid is £2 million. Celtic aren’t the only club who want players as cheap as possible.
    Well because hibs have been so clear about what they want .

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Well because hibs have been so clear about what they want .

If that’s the case that we seriously won’t entertain bids of less than £4m then we will end up with nowt.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    100%. These clubs may have a a lot of money but they’re not just going to come in with an opening bid of £4m because they have it. They’ll do the exact same as Celtic are doing, they might just be willing to go a bit higher than they are or they’ll maybe increase their bids in larger increments than Celtic are.

If we’ve just rejected a £2m bid and Derby wanted to put one in today I’d hazard a guess they’d be putting in about £2.5m, not £4m. They maybe wouldn’t go all the way to £4m.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    If that’s the case that we seriously won’t entertain bids of less than £4m then we will end up with nowt.
    At the very least we’ll end up with McGinn for another season...not quite nowt. Holding on to him will have a commercial figure to it.

The issue is that our intended targets may change if we don’t see that money coming in.

Plus there’s the indoor pitch to think about too.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    100%. These clubs may have a a lot of money but they’re not just going to come in with an opening bid of £4m because they have it. They’ll do the exact same as Celtic are doing, they might just be willing to go a bit higher than they are or they’ll maybe increase their bids in larger increments than Celtic are.

If we’ve just rejected a £2m bid and Derby wanted to put one in today I’d hazard a guess they’d be putting in about £2.5m, not £4m. They maybe wouldn’t go all the way to £4m.
    Where’s Jack Ross now 🤔 he could at least have got a bidding war started.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    At the very least we’ll end up with McGinn for another season...not quite nowt. Holding on to him will have a commercial figure to it.

The issue is that our intended targets may change if we don’t see that money coming in.

Plus there’s the indoor pitch to think about too.
    Aye, but for me there would be a feeling of negativity if there was the inevitability of him moving to Celtic for free on the horizon, especially when it seems he’s played a small part in manufacturing this move himself.

Love SJM and all he’s done for Hibs, but unless he’s signing a contract I think I’d rather he moved on this window, even if the fee is slightly less than we might’ve hoped for.

If SJM is still here when the window shuts it will be a toss up between him and Hibs as to who is more frustrated.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If SJM is still here when the window shuts it will be a toss up between him and Hibs as to who is more frustrated.
    Give him an extra £2k per week on a 2 year deal and put in a buy out clause of £1.5m.

He'd still get his move next summer, he earns an extra £100k over the year and we get to keep him for another season.

IMO That's what will happen if we don't sell him this transfer window.