hibs.net Messageboard

Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2389
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably
    Griffiths, what a waste!
    Just like Deeks. Sometimes you have to view them as career wreckers. It can be argued that the OF are in many ways responsible for the state of the national team, for years now they have hardly produced any quality talent. MacGregor and Tierney apart.

They always scoop young prospect and do nothing to develop them. I don't know why Griffo wants to stay I think he is EPL standard and could easily do a job for Everton, Newcastle West Ham or any club of that ilk.

Bet he would have goto Southampton first though
    Last edited by badabing67; 22-07-2018 at 11:28 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This transfer saga has certainly been a reminder of why I hate Celtc fans just as much as the Huns. Horrible, arrogant bunch.
    Don't know about their fans, but as a club they are showing Hibs total disrespect over this issue. In all honesty this is the sort of behaviour you would expect from Sevco IE trying to bully a club to sell and putting in pathetic offer after pathetic offer in order to unsettle their target player. Two cheeks of the same arse right enough.

I don't want to hear any BS about how they helped us by them loaning us Allan, Henderson or Stokes either …. in the case of Henderson and Allan both players stock rose considerably after playing for us, enabling them to get a decent fee for Henderson and no doubt ask for far more for Allan than they could have after a disastrous loan spell at Rotherham and a reasonably anonymous spell at Dundee … they also loaned us Ambrose and Commons, but both were on the other side of being useful to Celtic and it suited them to put both players in the shop window. Whatever our dealings have been with them altruism certainly wasn't at the heart of Celtic's thinking.

If we were to get an offer of 3 million from down south we should jump at it and accept that a huffy Celtic will block any deal for Scott Allan in retaliation.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Good point. I think the reason why they are offering very low offers is simply because no other club has come in for McGinn other than them. They are trying to bully us into a deal and trying to unsettle the player. It’s probably another reason why I’d like to see an English Prem/Champ side coming in with an offer for McGinn that meets Hibs’ valuation.
    That’s what gets me though, was Armstrong in massive demand? I dont think he was, I didn’t see many teams rumoured to be after him at least and yet Celtic decided £7m. Still dislike Rangers more but Celtic are playing catch-up right now, not sure why they don’t pay the going rate as they’ll still make a profit either through McGinn’s performances or through selling him later on.

£3m plus Allan would be absolute minimum Hibs should accept. Christie on top of that would be a bonus. Christie should be taking a look at himself and realise that loans or sitting on the bench or in the stands at his age is not the way to go - his career is going down the drain at the minute.

I’m still of the opinion that they pay the going rate or they can get lost. I’d rather lose McGinn for nothing than accept Celtic’s shocking offers. If I was Hibs, I’d say make the next offer decent or we’ll stop entertaining this nonsense.
    Last edited by madhatter; 22-07-2018 at 11:21 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    That’s what gets me though, was Armstrong in massive demand? I dont think he was, I didn’t see many teams rumoured to be after him at least and yet Celtic decided £7m. Still dislike Rangers more but Celtic are playing catch-up right now, not sure why they don’t pay the going rate as they’ll still make a profit either through McGinn’s performances or through selling him later on.

£3m plus Allan would be absolute minimum Hibs should accept. Christie on top of that would be a bonus. Christie should be taking a look at himself and realise that loans or sitting on the bench or in the stands at his age is not the way to go - his career is going down the drain at the minute.

I’m still of the opinion that they pay the going rate or they can get lost. I’d rather lose McGinn for nothing than accept Celtic’s shocking offers. If I was Hibs, I’d say make the next offer decent or we’ll stop entertaining this nonsense.

Brighton & Crystal Palace were both in for Armstrong as well from what I remember. But Southampton moved quickly to sign him before anyone else made a bid.

I personally think McGinn will get sold this window. Probably later on in August. Having said that, just realised deadline day in England is 2-3 weeks earlier than here so an English club may come in last minute for McGinn and meet Hibs’ valuation. That’s when Lawell will know he needs to meet the valuation or he will end up having egg on his face and miss out on SJM.

Agree with your point on Christie. He needs to move elsewhere in order to play regularly for the sake of his career. Unless he is satisfied being a bench warmer to top up his pay packet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Don't know about their fans, but as a club they are showing Hibs total disrespect over this issue. In all honesty this is the sort of behaviour you would expect from Sevco IE trying to bully a club to sell and putting in pathetic offer after pathetic offer in order to unsettle their target player. Two cheeks of the same arse right enough.

I don't want to hear any BS about how they helped us by them loaning us Allan, Henderson or Stokes either …. in the case of Henderson and Allan both players stock rose considerably after playing for us, enabling them to get a decent fee for Henderson and no doubt ask for far more for Allan than they could have after a disastrous loan spell at Rotherham and a reasonably anonymous spell at Dundee … they also loaned us Ambrose and Commons, but both were on the other side of being useful to Celtic and it suited them to put both players in the shop window. Whatever our dealings have been with them altruism certainly wasn't at the heart of Celtic's thinking.

If we were to get an offer of 3 million from down south we should jump at it and accept that a huffy Celtic will block any deal for Scott Allan in retaliation.
    Is it not the case that it is up to McGinn. If he has his heart set on a move to Celtic then any offer that we are willing to accept from another club is immaterial. There is a lot in this thread re him doing the right think by Hibs / St Mirren, but if this is not sorted with an acceptable offer coming from Celtic he may be left in the position where he has to let his contact run down, if he is set on going to Celtic. I think the chances of him extending his contract at Hibs are very unlikely.

Like many I would rather see him go to a club in England. I think it would be a far better career move for him but there a lot has been made about his family links to Celtic. How that will influence his decision will only be known when someone other than Celtic comes in with a bid.

Coaching Staff
    Objectively, and with tin hat on, I think the labelling of Sellick as ‘arrogant’ over the McGinn saga are a tad misplaced.

So they have made 3 bids for him that we have turned down.

As far as I know through official channels, and we, as is our right, have turned them down.

As far as I can see all we have is one fitba club trying to buy a player from another club at the least possible cost, and the ‘selling’ club refusing to sell because they don’t think the offers are good enough.

Has been a part of football for as long as I can remember.

Once upon a time we would celebrate holding on to a player for as long as we could.....and the board would get pelters if they sold them, but times have changed!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    About time we told them that we’ll not even be resposnding to bids below our valuation. They’re just wasting our time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    When have Hibs ever got a bad deal? One thing we've always done well.
    In fairness...not often.

Didier Agathe always springs to mind however.

Be interesting to know what sell on percentage has been offered. Thats where Hibs will make the real money

Surprised Celtic have been so reluctant. Seriously crap bids. Hopefully an English club steps in now.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Surprised Celtic have been so reluctant. Seriously crap bids. Hopefully an English club steps in now.
    I would have thought if anyone down south wanted him they would have pinged in a bid before now

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Objectively, and with tin hat on, I think the labelling of Sellick as ‘arrogant’ over the McGinn saga are a tad misplaced.

As far as I know through official channels, and we, as is our right, have turned them down.

As far as I can see all we have is one fitba club trying to buy a player from another club at the least possible cost, and the ‘selling’ club refusing to sell because they don’t think the offers are good enough.

Once upon a time we would celebrate holding on to a player for as long as we could.....and the board would get pelters if they sold them, but times have changed!
    I kinda get where you're coming from, I'm sure Hibs have tried to lowball other teams before. However, the issue with Celtic is that we've stated a valuation which they are continuing to bid well below, again and again. In addition, every bid is coming out in the press which is clearly designed to unsettle the player as much as possible.

They are are of course entitled to bid for John and value him at what ever they want but as usual in their dealings with other Scottish clubs, a total lack of respect and class is shown.

I really hope he goes down south now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigHibee View Post
    I would have thought if anyone down south wanted him they would have pinged in a bid before now
    I'm beginning to fear that the general poor view of our game that most hold down south is hampering us.

We will say Johns has played for Scotland however many times, won the league and Scottish Cup, played 100s of times for us etc but I'm not sure teams in England see our game as quality enough to pay decent money for anyone, unless they have Champions League experience with Celtic.

Scotland is a bargain basement shopping centre for most of them where they pick up players for pennies in the hope they work out. They don't pay big money for any of our players now unfortunately.

John really is a special player though and has all the attributes to make it at a really high level so hopefully we can get a fair price for the him.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    As the English window gets closer to closing time, im sure there will be clubs who have missed their 1st targets and will start looking at other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    In fairness...not often.

Didier Agathe always springs to mind however.
    That was our fault. Never signed him on a 'proper' deal. IIRC it was a 3 month contract. Crazy when you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I kinda get where you're coming from, I'm sure Hibs have tried to lowball other teams before. However, the issue with Celtic is that we've stated a valuation which they are continuing to bid well below, again and again. In addition, every bid is coming out in the press which is clearly designed to unsettle the player as much as possible.

They are are of course entitled to bid for John and value him at what ever they want but as usual in their dealings with other Scottish clubs, a total lack of respect and class is shown.

I really hope he goes down south now.
    A classy football club would not be leaking their failed offers to the press.

Celtic showing themselves up here

@hibs.net private member
    Delighted we are telling Celtic to do one here. £4M is an entirely reasonable fee for McGinn - I think we will end up seeing an EPL or Championship club nipping in to meet this valuation as their window comes to a close. Whoever he ends up with I envy them but wish SJM all the very best.

Testimonial Due
    No sense complaining at Celtc when Hibs are dismal at signing players in good time.

If we ARE interested in McLaren or Scott Allan there’s no sign of us putting in a worthwhile bid to get either deal done and getting the pen out.

One signing missed could again cost us like the lack of a keeper did us for a win against Brondby and a trip to Hertha Berlin.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Good point. I think the reason why they are offering very low offers is simply because no other club has come in for McGinn other than them. They are trying to bully us into a deal and trying to unsettle the player. It’s probably another reason why I’d like to see an English Prem/Champ side coming in with an offer for McGinn that meets Hibs’ valuation.
    This is the bottom line. It’s a one club auction and they are the only team being quoted.

I’m sure Hibs will have given them the figure conisdered acceptable, Celtic clearly don’t want to pay out. Really hope an English side come in and offer the cash for him, I would much prefer he went elsewhere, if he has to go at all.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    No sense complaining at Celtc when Hibs are dismal at signing players in good time.

If we ARE interested in McLaren or Scott Allan there’s no sign of us putting in a worthwhile bid to get either deal done and getting the pen out.

One signing missed could again cost us like the lack of a keeper did us for a win against Brondby and a trip to Hertha Berlin.

How do you know?

Unlike the McGinn situation, where Celtc have used the press to push their agenda, Hibs dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

Problem is that Celtic were told in no uncertain terms that 1.5 was a lowball offer and unacceptable. So what makes them think 1.75, and now 2.0m would be ? What signals have Hibs sent them that suggested an extra 500k would do the job ? None. Quite the opposite, Hibs were public in their intention of playing SJM in the Faroes - not the actions of a club that was trying to squeeze an extra 250k out of Celtic. Conclusion... Celtic are making no realistic attempt to get the deal done and are playing games with Hibs and SJM. It's sad and pathetic and in many ways sums up the problems of the OF domination.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

😴

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    About time we told them that we’ll not even be resposnding to bids below our valuation. They’re just wasting our time.
    Agree! Similar to last SA situation when we said no way will we sell to The Rangers so no point even putting in another bid. Celtic need to pay up or shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This is the bottom line. It’s a one club auction and they are the only team being quoted.

I’m sure Hibs will have given them the figure conisdered acceptable, Celtic clearly don’t want to pay out. Really hope an English side come in and offer the cash for him, I would much prefer he went elsewhere, if he has to go at all.
    This Even if he didn't go to an English club, making any higher bid public would put pressure on Celtic to pay up or look like parasites. The free run Celtic have got is at the heart of problem here.

Before we hop aboard the outrage bus we should remember that it's Lawwell's job to get McGinn for as little as he can and Hibs job to get as much as we can.
    As others have pointed out - we can and will do exactly the same to teams below us in the food chain.

Players are only worth what people are prepared to pay for them and relative judgements based on actual performances to try to determine an objective value are futile. Look at the Neymar transfer - it's north of the second highest transfer of all time by the same amount Real paid for Ronaldo from Man U.

Put it another way - if I offered you a choice between Neymar + Armstrong or Mbappe + Pogba which would you take?
    Both cost pretty much the same in transfers but I'd pick option 2 every time.

How we rate McGinn relative to Armstrong is irrelevant - Southampton thought he was worth £7m and that's what Celtic got.
    Either clubs down South don't rate McGinn in that way or are unaware of him. Possibly they're just biding their time.

Said it before but I actually don't care about the money. I care about what we get on the park and I strongly suspect that's what's delaying this transfer.
    We want Scott Allan plus a loanee Centre Mid which I think will improve what we have on the park more than a million extra in cash.

Not saying I like it or that I like selling to Celtic - I don't....McGinn is a cracking player and I'd love to be following him in an EPL career rather than facing up to him against an OF team. But the end job is what players we have and I suspect a couple of players from Celtic plus £2m is the best answer from NL's perspective.

Looks like we are going in to the Greek tie with only one recognized striker as I don't think Oli Shaw is up to being a first team regular yet. We left it late signing players last year and we are doing the same last year. We are WEAKER now than when we finished last season. Not good enough.

According to the S*n a 3rd bid of £2m has been turned down. In the same paper he is complaining about the financial gulf between Celtic and the EPL... while trying to get other teams star players for peanuts! Cheek and hypocrisy of the man.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nonsense. There are lots of deals to be done in this transfer window still. There is still 3.5 weeks to go in England and it’s been a bit quiet so far. It will heat up big time in the next fortnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    It keeps getting said on here that some English championship or lower end Premier League club will hopefully come in with a bid nearer to our valuation, as if this is the answer and will save the day!!
    It also keeps being pointed out that SOUTHAMPTON/DERBY/BRIGHTON/BIRMINGHAM OR WHOEVER CAN COME AND OFFER TEN MILLION BUT IF MCGINN DOESNT WANT TO GO AS IS WIDLY REPORTED ITS IRRELEVANT. maybe that’s why is not happened.
    At the end of the day there is only one show in town, and that’s Celtc. Hibs will be trying to squeeze as much out of them as possible and will have to make a decision at the end of August, sell or keep hold. I think we will come to a deal as I don’t think the club can afford not to but I wish we are in a position to tell CFC to ram it.

Does SJM want to move? Yes.
    Do Hibs want to sell? Yes.
    Do Celtic want to buy? Yes.
    It's just a wee game they all play before a deal is eventually struck somewhere in the middle.
    Celtic try to screw us, we try to screw Motherwell, Motherwell try to screw Dumbarton etc.
    It was ever thus.