hibs.net Messageboard

Page 49 of 80 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2389
    I’ve never felt that Celtic truly wanted McGinn. I’ve always got the impression that the kind of feel they should sign him as opposed to wanting to.

If they’re happy for him to play for us and become ineligible for their qualifying matches (if that is the case as reported) then that to me shows how seriously they want him in their team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but Mcginn isn't stupid and you would think he's worked this out.

Is it a good career move?
    Of course its a good career move , he's going to get payed alot of money to play for the team he supports . He may not start every game but unlikely he'd start every game down south either .

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    There will be pressure on Celtic to pay the money as well. Hibs need to hold firm.
    https://thecelticblog.com/2018/07/bl...mpression=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We should play McGinn tonight and stick 2 fingers up to Peter Lawwell.

Lawwell would be in the absolute sh*t-house as far as Celtic fans are concerned, because of his penny pinching.

Thanks for posting that blog - to paraphrase the Celtic fans view, as expressed to their chairman - If John McGinn is valued at X amount, and if you & Celtic's manager want to sign John McGinn (which Celtic do) and if you have X amount in the bank already, with Champions League qualifiers at risk, then fxxxing pay X amount to Hibs and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    We should play McGinn tonight and stick 2 fingers up to Peter Lawwell.

Lawwell would be in the absolute sh*t-house as far as Celtic fans are concerned, because of his penny pinching.

Thanks for posting that blog - to paraphrase the Celtic fans view, as expressed to their chairman - If John McGinn is valued at X amount, and if you & Celtic's manager want to sign John McGinn (which Celtic do) and if you have X amount in the bank already, with Champions League qualifiers at risk, then fxxxing pay X amount to Hibs and be done with it
    I'd be surprised if McGinn plays tonight. If a deal is close I suspect his thigh injury might occur again.

Mcginn is not a replacement for Armstrong, they are very different players. Armstrong would play in the 3 behind the striker where as I'd say SJM is more of the one of the two deeper players in a 4231. SJM is box to box Armstrong gets a lot more goals.

As well SJM is 24 this year so not a youngster anymore and needs to be sure he will be playing week in week out as he is coming into his prime. I do think he is good enough to be a regular starter for them though

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I'd be surprised if McGinn plays tonight. If a deal is close I suspect his thigh injury might occur again.
    He was pictured taking part in the training session last night in Toftir, so if he doesn't strip for tonight you'd have to think there's been some movement in the negotiation between Hibs and Celtic in the last 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/snsgroup/status/1019656017163030529

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I wouldn't expect him to play. Unused substitute for my cash.

There will be pressure on Celtic to pay the money as well. Hibs need to hold firm.
    https://thecelticblog.com/2018/07/bl...mpression=true

Thats quite an interesting insight in to how Celtc fans are thinking. They are understandably frustrated at going backwards over the last year and are now desperate for new recruits. I trust Dempster to play this well.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    According to Scottish Sun today Neil Lennon has broken his silence and has said that Celtic are being presumptious if they think John McGinn is going to be joining them!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    According to Scottish Sun today Neil Lennon has broken his silence and has said that Celtic are being presumptious if they think John McGinn is going to be joining them!
    They're likely taking their own spin on his comments re SB speaking about our player.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Adam Rooney has signed for Salford. English 5th tier rather than stay at Aberdeen. What kind of money are Salford likely to be able to offer?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Adam Rooney has signed for Salford. English 5th tier rather than stay at Aberdeen. What kind of money are Salford likely to be able to offer?
    Some signing for that level of football

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Other transfer thread saying he's on £5.5k a week

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I’ve never felt that Celtic truly wanted McGinn. I’ve always got the impression that the kind of feel they should sign him as opposed to wanting to.

If they’re happy for him to play for us and become ineligible for their qualifying matches (if that is the case as reported) then that to me shows how seriously they want him in their team.
    Don't be daft,regardless of how much money they have they're still a business,they won't throw crazy money for McGinn the same as whatever we end up getting for McGinn we won't start throwing crazy money for players we want also to suggest Rodgers is happy to sign a player he doesn't want is daft.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Don't be daft,regardless of how much money they have they're still a business,they won't throw crazy money for McGinn the same as whatever we end up getting for McGinn we won't start throwing crazy money for players we want also to suggest Rodgers is happy to sign a player he doesn't want is daft.
    It's not daft at all he may well want him but not for the fees we want as maybe he does not rate him as highly as others at club.

For £2m SJM is a very low risk signing leaving plenty in the budget for £2m he can sit on bench. I feel its like Simon Murray with us cheap and a punt to see if fits in. SJM is IMO better than that but I firmly believe Celtic do not rate him as highly as we do and would only be worried he went south and was a hit.

Aberdeens squad is looking weakened considerably on last couple of seasons.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It's not daft at all he may well want him but not for the fees we want as maybe he does not rate him as highly as others at club.

For £2m SJM is a very low risk signing leaving plenty in the budget for £2m he can sit on bench. I feel its like Simon Murray with us cheap and a punt to see if fits in. SJM is IMO better than that but I firmly believe Celtic do not rate him as highly as we do and would only be worried he went south and was a hit.
    Of course its daft to suggest Rodgers is signing a player he doesnt want and do you know 100% that £2m is the figure quoted by either Hibs or Celtic or we guessing ??

Sheffield paying £5m for Martin Waghorn.
    If we really wanted to get top dollar for John McGinn we would have put him out on loan to an English Championship club last season.

If we really wanted to get top dollar for John McGinn we would have put him out on loan to an English Championship club last season.

If anything summed up the craziness of the English game, this does it.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Not quite, Lennon was irritated by Scott Brown talking openly in the media about John McGinn and what Celtic would do for him. And quite right too. Brown should be more respectful and butt the hell out.

All part of the Celtic plan to try prize McGinn away from Hibs for a few quid less than it should cost them. It's the "Celtic Way".

First Team Regular

Its just the way it works

If SJM played for Dundee Utd he would be worth £500k
    Plays for Hibs £2m
    If he signs for Sellick they can sell him for £6m to Sheff Wed
    Sheff Wed would then sell him for £10m to Southampton

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Agreed. There’s an awful lot of daft stuff on this thread that should act as a warning to anyone wanting fan ownership!

Everything that folk are complaining about Celtic doing could equally be applied to Hibs when we try to sign players.

Should we pay over the odds for a player from a smaller club just cause we can afford to?!

It’s mental. Celtic are quite within their rights to offer what THEY feel McGinn is worth.

If they match our valuation they get their man. If they don’t then they don’t.

Why all the knashing of teeth? We’re in total control of the situation.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

The goalie that was on loan at Aberdeen from Liverpool, Ward, is going to Leicester for somewhere around £10 million as well.

Think he would have been on loan at Aberdeen at the same time as Maddison so they would have had a combined value of around £35m, yet had Aberdeen sold them they would have got around a couple of million probably.

Scottish league is a pub league though eh

If Celtic REALLY wanted him and saw him as crucial to their team, why would they risk hanging on and him ending up ineligible for what they see as their most important games of the season?

Never said Rodgers doesn’t want him. Just don’t think he’ll lose any sleep if they don’t get him.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    He was pictured taking part in the training session last night in Toftir, so if he doesn't strip for tonight you'd have to think there's been some movement in the negotiation between Hibs and Celtic in the last 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/snsgroup/status/1019656017163030529
    Plastic pitch by the looks of it

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    If anything summed up the craziness of the English game, this does it.
    And what chance has Scottish football amidst all that crazy news.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHibs View Post
    Mcginn is not a replacement for Armstrong, they are very different players. Armstrong would play in the 3 behind the striker where as I'd say SJM is more of the one of the two deeper players in a 4231. SJM is box to box Armstrong gets a lot more goals.

As well SJM is 24 this year so not a youngster anymore and needs to be sure he will be playing week in week out as he is coming into his prime. I do think he is good enough to be a regular starter for them though
    Last season McGinn had 43 appearances and scored 6 goals. Armstrong had 39 appearances and scored 4. The players are of similar age and McGinn has more international caps.
    I do agree that the 2 have very different styles and also agree that SJM is good enough to be a regular starter for them, like many however, I am growing more frustrated at the fact they're trying to sell us short.
    Pay up or move on.

First Team Breakthrough
    This is a game of poker that has went on for two weeks. Hold our nerve like Petrie did with Brown, Thomson and Whittaker and we'll win. Blink first then it'll be £2 million. In Leanne we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    This is a game of poker that has went on for two weeks. Hold our nerve like Petrie did with Brown, Thomson and Whittaker and we'll win. Blink first then it'll be £2 million. In Leanne we trust.
    Then we are going to need a second / third / fourth blink.

£2.5m plus Scott Allan and a loan (seemingly Biton or Johnston) is when the blink becomes the bank

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    And what chance has Scottish football amidst all that crazy news.
    Absolutely loads as people become disillusioned with the ridiculous money, expensive ticket prices and general lack of soul and character to their teams. IMO it will reach saturation point soon (i'm no sure i've got that phrase right, doesn't look correct, sure you know what i mean though) if it's not there already.

We are already seeing people coming back to Scottish Football in their droves, there's talk of Sky reducing their offer to English football in future deals so we just need to make sure we're doing the right things and ready to capitalise on any increased attention we are getting.