hibs.net Messageboard

Page 41 of 80 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2389
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic got £7M for Armstrong who only had a year left on his contract, add to that the fact Super John is keeping him out of the Scotland team, surely SJM is worth at least half the Armstrong fee and possibly Scott Allen on a permanent deal as well as the winger on loan.

Armstrong was a Celtic player, so had a higher profile, hence the higher fee. Unfortunately McGinn seems to have changed his mind where he wants to continue his development, he was telling most people at the start of the season that down south was where he wanted to go, this has now changed and only Celtic is his future club. This will drop his price unfortunately, £4-5m down south or £2.5 to Celtic plus Allan, due to the fact he's stated it's only Celtic, clubs down south have been put off making a bid as they'll know they're wasting their time, unfortunately a bit of player power at work here. Probably a bit similar to the Allan/Rangers scenario but this time McGinn has been professional and hasn't handed in a transfer request but he has forced this move to Celtic a fair bit.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    If McGinn plays on Thursday will Celtic drop there interest?
    If they want him for European ties have the team sheet printed early, then see what they do

Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    If they want him for European ties have the team sheet printed early, then see what they do
    liking the cut of your gib here, good stuff

@hibs.net private member
    Is that in case he’s cup tied?

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    When we developed Stokes and Henderson, or Commons probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    He's not

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    We'll get a big clue when the charter plane flies out to the Faroes, if SJM is or isn't on board.

Simon Murray, too, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Armstrong was a Celtic player, so had a higher profile, hence the higher fee. Unfortunately McGinn seems to have changed his mind where he wants to continue his development, he was telling most people at the start of the season that down south was where he wanted to go, this has now changed and only Celtic is his future club. This will drop his price unfortunately, £4-5m down south or £2.5 to Celtic plus Allan, due to the fact he's stated it's only Celtic, clubs down south have been put off making a bid as they'll know they're wasting their time, unfortunately a bit of player power at work here. Probably a bit similar to the Allan/Rangers scenario but this time McGinn has been professional and hasn't handed in a transfer request but he has forced this move to Celtic a fair bit.
    Where is the figure of £4-5 million coming from if he went down south?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I’m always amazed at the attitude of English clubs to players up here.Logically who is the better player?Is it one who plays for the top team ,gets frequent rests and games where the whole team can coast.Or is it a player who excels in performances against the top team and plays a full season as a main player in his team.Seems pretty obvious to me.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    any loan deals from Celtic involving mcginn don't excite me.allan permanent and the correct valuation of our best player or they can beat it imo.i just canny get excited about any offer for mcginn.4 million 10million what he brings to the side is not replaceable.
    Steady. McGinn is a very good player, he's not Roy of the Rovers.

If we end up with an acceptable bid from Celtic, hopefully a nice bit of cash and Scott Allan, then we will strengthen the midfield again. Won't necessarily be the same type of player as McGinn, but that doesn't mean we can't still have a very effective midfield.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    He's not

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Presumably he would be when Celtc drop down to the Europa League
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Presumably he would be when Celtc drop down to the Europa League
    Nope

Left by mutual consent!
    While we pay SJM wages if available should be picked. All this head might not be in right place you sometimes get is not on.

Players are mollycodlled enough these days. Play him if on the wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    While we pay SJM wages if available should be picked. All this head might not be in right place you sometimes get is not on.

Players are mollycodlled enough these days. Play him if on the wage bill.
    I wouldn't play him on Thursday. We don't need him, and the risk of injury is there. Especially against that lot.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I wouldn't play him on Thursday. We don't need him, and the risk of injury is there. Especially against that lot.
    I'd be tempted to say the same but he could do with the match time, if he doesn't go anywhere then we'll certainly need him against the Greek side next week.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    liking the cut of your gib here, good stuff
    Cheers, I have my moments

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I'd be tempted to say the same but he could do with the match time, if he doesn't go anywhere then we'll certainly need him against the Greek side next week.
    Fair point, bingo.

Perhaps out of the loop here but a couple of puddledrinkers of my aquaintance now trying to tell me that SJM has handed in a transfer request.Ive not seen anything regarding this and as i dont think he is type of guy to do this im replying to them that their puddles must be contaminated😁

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Nearly all when we were in the championship, now we’re competing against them in the Premiership, shouldn’t be taking loans from them
    Just my opinion
    Loan players won't be available against Celtic with McGinn against us so a no to any loan players from me just pay what he is worth

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Nearly all when we were in the championship, now we’re competing against them in the Premiership, shouldn’t be taking loans from them
    Just my opinion
    I understand your point and it has to be a valid point. We had Scott Allan last season and it didn't stop us beating them. So taking one on loan from them when that helps us against Aberdeen and Rangers (our main rivals), might not be as bad as it first seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    Perhaps out of the loop here but a couple of puddledrinkers of my aquaintance now trying to tell me that SJM has handed in a transfer request.Ive not seen anything regarding this and as i dont think he is type of guy to do this im replying to them that their puddles must be contaminated😁
    Think there has been rumblings that he's told the club he wants to move to Celtic.

A transfer request doesn't really mean anything though, if we get an acceptable bid we'll sell him, if we don't we won't. Transfer request or no transfer request.

I'm sure Hibs are well aware that given the chance he would go to Celtic, going to the formality of handing in a transfer request would seem a bit of a pointless exercise.

Willing to fall on my sword here but he's not the type.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    Willing to fall on my sword here but he's not the type.
    Don't think it's anything to do with not being the type. I just don't think there'd be any point to him doing it?

Are we likely to accept a lesser amount if he hands in a transfer request? I wouldn't have thought so.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    From today's Glasgow Herald...
    Hibernian's John McGinn keen on Celtic move as more negotiations expected

Celtic are expected to make further inroads with Hibs again this week as they look to add John McGinn to their ranks.
    It is believed that the 23-year-old Scotland internationalist has intimated his desire to Hibs that he wishes to make his move to Brendan Rodgers’ side.
    McGinn has spent the last three seasons at Easter Road where he has become a pivotal part of Neil Lennon’s midfield but it is understood that he is eager to make the switch to Celtic Park.
    He was left out of the Hibs team that beat NSI Runavik 6-1 in their Europa League qualifier last week. Lennon commented after the game that the player was carrying an injury but he also conceded that his focus had been affected by the fact that Celtic’s interest in him had become public.
    It would suit Lennon to have thee situation clarified in order that if he does lose the player then he is given adequate time to organise a replacement for him before the domestic campaign gets underway again next month.
    The Parkhead club have had two bids of £1.5m and £1.75m knocked back for the midfielder, with Hibs valuing the player at £4m. It is thought, however, that a deal could be done for £2.5m with Scott Allan making his way back to Easter Road where he spent the latter half of last term on loan.
    That would allow McGinn to make the move to Celtic and hook up with Rodgers’ side.
    The Celtic manager has made it clear that he would like to add the player to his squad and with McGinn out of contract at the end of the forthcoming season and free to sign a pre-contract agreement in January, this window will be viewed by Hibs as the last genuine opportunity they have to bank money through the sale of the player.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    If you're referring to the yam genus of puddle drinker, then it must be true. I've never known them to blatantly make up wee stories in an effort to wind us up

Testimonial Due
    If they come in with another money offer + 19 year old winger on loan I would be disappointed in hibs if they accepted that. tell them to get to ****.

2.5mil + Scott Allan on permanent deal

or 3 million upfront no player included. These are the deals hibs should be open too.

Not having us develop a player for them, us to become fond of them but they go back to celtic and not get a game then for them to dig their heals In and not give us them back.

stay strong hibs.

So Jack you're telling us that their stadium has the biggest capacity in Edinburgh and they have signed World Cup stars?

Surely our Yam pals wouldn't tell fibs about such things?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Don't think it's anything to do with not being the type. I just don't think there'd be any point to him doing it?

Are we likely to accept a lesser amount if he hands in a transfer request? I wouldn't have thought so.
    SJM handing in a transfer request would be disastrous and force Hibs hand. We could not afford to pass up £2m for a reluctant player sitting in the stands. Pretty sure Celtic will have already asked him to do that.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    So Jack you're telling us that their stadium has the biggest capacity in Edinburgh and they have signed World Cup stars?

Surely our Yam pals wouldn't tell fibs about such things?
    I'm old enough to remember them declaring themselves to be "self sufficient" and Banderson reassuring them it was true.

About a fortnight before putting themselves into administration.☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    Celtic got £7M for Armstrong who only had a year left on his contract, add to that the fact Super John is keeping him out of the Scotland team, surely SJM is worth at least half the Armstrong fee and possibly Scott Allen on a permanent deal as well as the winger on loan.
    I agree with your point and think he is worth a lot more than half of the Armstrong fee. But the bit in bold is just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    SJM handing in a transfer request would be disastrous and force Hibs hand. We could not afford to pass up £2m for a reluctant player sitting in the stands. Pretty sure Celtic will have already asked him to do that.
    Why would he be sitting in the stands?

He wants to join Celtic, we know that already, whether he hands in a bit of paper saying he wants to join them or not is neither here nor there.

Think there's confusion here between handing in a transfer request and downing tools.