hibs.net Messageboard

Page 27 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Becoming increasingly convinced we should be keeping Mc Ginn, unless the offer is reasonable (2.5 mill plus Allan).

The reputed figures quoted for the current offfers are derisory and as has been pointed out Mc Ginn is potentially worth more in terms of potential for on field success.

Hibs have to play this well. Record ST sales and high expectations from fans and manager.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont even think Celtc fans think SJM is that good (despite him playing really well v them recently).

Spoke to a couple who think its inevitable that he will move there, but that "he will really need to up his game at Celtc, he cant afford off matches"..........standard arrogant attitude of these same radges - the ones that all said Leigh Griffiths wasnt a good enough striker to play for the mighty Celtc.

They really dont deserve him, hope we keep him for another year just for the crack

Like Dembele last season. The amount of piss poor games he had was more than some Celtic fans will admit. Told that from ma wee mate who's a Celtic season ticket holder.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I agree with you. McGinn is brilliant but in the long run he won’t be signing a new deal so i’d be happy for us to cash in now. I think we will end up losing him this summer but it’s looking like it’ll drag on longer than expected.
    I agree and we have to be careful here not to cutoff our nose to spite out face. I think we've done the right thing rejecting Celtic's offers so far given how long we have left in the transfer window.

However, for all concerned, and as sad as it makes me, I think this window is the right time for the John to move. This is on the basis we get at least £2m and Allan and also that those funds are reinvested in the team.

Football clubs have to think about long term and if John going means we get Allan, McLaren and say one more top player, I think that makes sense in the long run.

I was hoping we'd get £3m+ for him but if the rumours are true and he has his heart set on Celtic, our position is significantly weakened.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    This reminds me of the Riordan saga in that it appears that Celtic are not really that keen to sign him but it's worth a couple of million to take a punt. At the same time weakening a rival. Equally they would be quite happy to let his contract run down and sign him for nothing.

Might be attractive to McGinn as he could negotiate a higher signing on fee, however if I was McGinn I would be starting to have misgivings about moving to a club which doesn't view me as a serious contender for a starting berth.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Becoming increasingly convinced we should be keeping Mc Ginn, unless the offer is reasonable (2.5 mill plus Allan).

The reputed figures quoted for the current offfers are derisory and as has been pointed out Mc Ginn is potentially worth more in terms of potential for on field success.

Hibs have to play this well. Record ST sales and high expectations from fans and manager.
    I went into the garage today and said "I like that award-winning car you have in the window, how much is it"

Dealer: £3k

Me: I'll give you £1.5k

Dealer: the price is £3k

Me: Ok, I'll give you £2k

Dealer: No deal

Me: Ok, I'll wait 12 months and pick it up much cheaper then

Dealer: [sells car to next customer]

Me: no car

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    McGinn has value to Hibs as a player for the season, if we lose him for nothing we've still had that value through the course of the season.

I'm comfortable with Hibs' position, keeping McGinn would be ideal, but if we get a fair price that is good for the club, then I'm happy with that as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    It just sticks I'm my throat thinking £3m is OK when they sold Armstrong for double that.

I will not be happy with £3m even with Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    This reminds me of the Riordan saga in that it appears that Celtic are not really that keen to sign him but it's worth a couple of million to take a punt. At the same time weakening a rival. Equally they would be quite happy to let his contract run down and sign him for nothing.

Might be attractive to McGinn as he could negotiate a higher signing on fee, however if I was McGinn I would be starting to have misgivings about moving to a club which doesn't view me as a serious contender for a starting berth.
    Realistically Celtic don't worry about weakening domestic teams from a competition perspective. They know that a bit more challenge would stand them in a little better sted in Europe. I think they have bid because they see McGinn as being an integral part of their team in the future.

I think the point that you make and Lennon also made a few months ago is very relevant that wherever he goes he needs to be going with the opportunity/expectation to be starting every week.

That might happen at Celtic but don't see who he would displace just now as he isn't a replacement for Armstrong. He has been a first team starter for at least 4 seasons now so going somewhere (at the same level i.e SPL) and not getting a regular game now would be a backward step.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

He might have made big known that he would only be looking to sign for Celtic, but if they will not meet the valuation then he might be asking himself if Celtic themselves seriously share that desire and the time might be right for him to start reconsidering all his options.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I agree and we have to be careful here not to cutoff our nose to spite out face. I think we've done the right thing rejecting Celtic's offers so far given how long we have left in the transfer window.

However, for all concerned, and as sad as it makes me, I think this window is the right time for the John to move. This is on the basis we get at least £2m and Allan and also that those funds are reinvested in the team.

Football clubs have to think about long term and if John going means we get Allan, McLaren and say one more top player, I think that makes sense in the long run.

I was hoping we'd get £3m+ for him but if the rumours are true and he has his heart set on Celtic, our position is significantly weakened.
    With the reputed sell on clause and agent fees that 2 million becomes a lot less. There is also talk of money being directed towards East Main. As a good few have pointed out if McGinn stays, his worth on the field may well bring greater financial rewards. Maybe we can still sign Allan and McLaren regardless?

Mc Ginn may well be set on Celtic, but he’s aHibs player for another season. I think overall that our position is fine on this at the moment.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    McGinn has value to Hibs as a player for the season, if we lose him for nothing we've still had that value through the course of the season.

I'm comfortable with Hibs' position, keeping McGinn would be ideal, but if we get a fair price that is good for the club, then I'm happy with that as well.
    I agree matty we need to show a competitive edge even in selling players. Hibs run a risk of losing some money however we keep hold of a key player but this may also set a precident that we will not be dictated too or sell for sake of it.

If Hibs tell them to bolt I am 100‰ behind that call.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    With the reputed sell on clause and agent fees that 2 million becomes a lot less. There is also talk of money being directed towards East Main. As a good few have pointed out if McGinn stays, his worth on the field may well bring greater financial rewards. Maybe we can still sign Allan and McLaren regardless?

Mc Ginn may well be set on Celtic, but he’s aHibs player for another season. I think overall that our position is fine on this at the moment.
    Another way if looking at this is Hibs going out and paying £1- 1.5 M plus wages for a player for one season. Not convinced any player in the Scottish game is worth that. I’d like SJM to stay another year, but that’s a huge amount of cash to turn down.

How sits the argument that he has given us 3 great years and deserves the chance to make a step up the ladder?

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    How sits the argument that he has given us 3 great years and deserves the chance to make a step up the ladder?
    He'll get the chance to step up the ladder when a team meets our valuation of the player. We aren't a charity.

At £1.5M there is no pressure on Rodgers to even play him.
    McGinn could end up in the wilderness for a year or two.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    He does deserve to play at a higher level and earn a decent amount of money in the process.

Doesn't mean Hibs have to accept the first, or any, offer that comes in for him to allow him to do that if it doesn't suit us.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It just sticks I'm my throat thinking £3m is OK when they sold Armstrong for double that.

You won't be happy then

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!

Armstrong has shown that he can hold down a place in one of the best Celtic teams in a long time, McGinn still has a lot to prove, especially (in my opinion) when it comes to distribution.

On the assumption there isn’t going to be a bidding war. I would be happy with £2.25m (plus a 15% sell on clause) + Allan on a 3 year deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    From Kerrydale Street:

Lennon confirmed yesterday that Allan is not involved in the talks.

Might or might not be true but did he actually say that yesterday?

Which is why we will listen to reasonable offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    From Kerrydale Street:

Lennon confirmed yesterday that Allan is not involved in the talks.

Might or might not be true but did he actually say that yesterday?
    Yeah he did. Scott Allan hasn’t been mentioned in any talks accordingly to Lennon.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...r-john-mcginn/

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I have a feeling SJM will play tonight, and once that game is over, he will sign for the smellies.

No idea about the fee, or even if that scenario will pan out?

I'd be very happy with that. The reality is McGinn will likely be sold for less.

Getting what is decent money to us as well as player of Allan's class would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Armstrong has shown that he can hold down a place in one of the best Celtic teams in a long time, McGinn still has a lot to prove, especially (in my opinion) when it comes to distribution.
    McGinn has played more often for Scotland than Armstrong

McGinn has won Man of the Match in around half of the fixtures he has played at international level.

Armstrong, though a fine player, is best known in a Scotland jersey for foolishly giving the ball away in the dying seconds vs England at Hampden, leading to 2-2.

McGinn was nominated for Player of the Year in Scotland in the season just ended.

I could go on....

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Pikey eh ? Nae need. Did you not say McGinn was going to England ?
    I did at the time, like other posters said but he's obviously changed his tune, it happens as TC has said about deals that don't go through for one reason and another. They're Celtic so I'll call them Pikeys if I wish, an odious club who shaft other Scottish clubs for their own gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    McGinn has played more often for Scotland than Armstrong

McGinn has won Man of the Match in around half of the fixtures he has played at international level.

Armstrong, though a fine player, is best known in a Scotland jersey for foolishly giving the ball away in the dying seconds vs England at Hampden, leading to 2-2.

McGinn was nominated for Player of the Year in Scotland in the season just ended.

I could go on....
    Nah, he's more known for being one of our best players during that campaign. I do agree he's never worth twice as much as McGinn though.

Blog Entries
    Maybe McGinn’s ‘I’d like to try my hand down south.’ was a come on to Celtic. He might have no intention of going south and will possibly see out his contract with us and then hike it up the M8. Fine with me as long as we get 100% next season, which I think we will.

The two aren't comparable but you know that.