hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Sorry but Hibs hold the aces here troops

What Celtic have to figure is the Steven Fletcher factor

In other words, this is the ONLY chance they'll have of being able to afford John McGinn.

If he goes to Fulham, English Prem, does well, wages follow suit, then it will be Fletch all over again for them - McGinn does well and for all time to come after this summer Celtic will find they are outbid by a Burnley, a Wolves, a Sunderland, an Everton, whoever.

Not just in terms of fee but the wages that can be offered.

So, Celtic's one chance of getting John McGinn to play for them [at a wage they can afford] is in early July 2018

The clock is ticking, and £1.5m is approx 50% of value - do they just want his right foot, or do they want the left foot too?

Pay up or sit down, Lawell.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want to see a Hibs team stuffed with decent midfielders who only pass the ball sideways. It looks like we're going to lose our one midfielder who runs at defences & takes them on. In that case IMO it's even more imperative we get Scotty back. He is a rare breed these days, a player who can unlock a defence with one pass & also weigh in with vital goals. Scott is now my #1 pick since we got Flo on board.
    Spot on as per usual Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'd agree with this, even at the risk of being called a Hibbyradge fanboy

Getting hold of Scott Allan is the key factor here, its unrealistic to think we 'hold all the cards' because we don't..I'm not sure selling McGinn to an English club in the hope of getting more money, and then having to deal with a p'eed off Celtic, would make financial sense. It might cost more and we might miss out on Allan, who imo is going to have a big season for us.
    If McGinn wants to go to Celtic, and no one else, that's what will happen, whether now or January or next July. Of course, if Hibs can't agree a financial deal with Celtic, there is the possibility of Celtic bringing someone else in for this season, and then deciding they don't want/need McGinn at all. He'll need to be careful.

If he wants to go elsewhere now, and Hibs are happy with a fee offered, he can go.

Why would Celtic be pissed off if Hibs took a higher offer? Hibs can't force McGinn to sign for anyone, so he holds the aces to a large extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post

In other words, this is the ONLY chance they'll have of being able to afford John McGinn.

If he goes to Fulham, English Prem, does well, wages follow suit, then it will be Fletch all over again for them - McGinn does well and for all time to come after this summer Celtic will find they are outbid by a Burnley, a Wolves, a Sunderland, an Everton, whoever.

So, Celtic's one chance of getting John McGinn to play for them [at a wage they can afford] is in early July 2018

The clock is ticking, and £1.5m is approx 50% of value - do they just want his right foot, or do they want the left foot too?

Is JM the only midfielder in the world? Celtic will pay what they want to pay, or look elsewhere. Just because Celtic want him now doesn't mean they will want him in a couple of years or so, irrespective of what his value might be. Celtic won't 'pack it all in' just because they don't get McGinn.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Still don't get much of the outrage on here. If we end up with Scott Allan and over a million in cash for a player that cost us circa £100K four years ago, I'll be delighted.

After Kamberi was secured, Allan is our most important signing IMO.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I'd agree with this, even at the risk of being called a Hibbyradge fanboy

Getting hold of Scott Allan is the key factor here, its unrealistic to think we 'hold all the cards' because we don't..I'm not sure selling McGinn to an English club in the hope of getting more money, and then having to deal with a p'eed off Celtic, would make financial sense. It might cost more and we might miss out on Allan, who imo is going to have a big season for us.
    Thing is Allan is simply a drain on their resources and Rodgers has already said he can go to Hibs.

Too much Celtic conspiracy crap going on here. We have a good working relationship with them and will get Allan no matter what happens with McGinn.

On a separate note, McGinn was keen on a move to Watford when they were interested last year.

Don’t know if their change of manager means they’re no longer interested but the more clubs sniffing around the better.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Remember as far as valuation is concerned He is better than Zidane!

I just don’t think you understand !
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 05-07-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: grammar

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Remember as far as valuation is concerned He is better than Zidane!

I just don’t think you understand !
    2m for the player and another £500k for the song that those muppets will ultimately steal when he does sign.

If he does go does he have to leave the prefix "super" at ER

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Hibby View Post
    Has there ever been a case that a players prefix was valued higher than the player themselves? "Super" is gonna cost anyone at least £5m

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Is Stevie Mallan not that creative type? Danny Swanson too?
    They are, but I’d put my house on them not being as creative as Scott Allan. The guy is an assist machine. Someone who can chip in a few goals like he seems to have added to his game and assist with the frequency he does would normally be way out our budget. Mallan and Swanson wouldn’t offer what Allan does IMO.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Hibby View Post
    Yup. He’ll have to leave it for Super Scotty Allan.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    They are, but I’d put my house on them not being as creative as Scott Allan. The guy is an assist machine. Someone who can chip in a few goals like he seems to have added to his game and assist with the frequency he does would normally be way out our budget. Mallan and Swanson wouldn’t offer what Allan does IMO.
    11 goals and 22 assists in his last season at Saints for Stevie Mallan. Even with limited appearances last season Danny's impact per minute is an assist every 165 minutes.

I'm not downplaying how good Allan is, just slightly concerned that we may lack a bit of balance in midfield next season if rumours come to fruition.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    If John McGinn was a Celtic player, or any other team for that matter, would people think it was a good use of our resources to pay £1.5m to get him on loan for 12 months?

I wouldn't be at all happy if we did that, but if we allow his contract to run down, that's in effect what we'd be doing.

As much as it would be satisfying to tell Celtc to ram it, it would be naive and irresponsible business.
    I'd agree that is one way to look at it but the bigger picture is that we can't allow ourselves to be taken advantage of. It's all part of the negotiations.

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    If McGinn wants to go to Celtic, and no one else, that's what will happen, whether now or January or next July. Of course, if Hibs can't agree a financial deal with Celtic, there is the possibility of Celtic bringing someone else in for this season, and then deciding they don't want/need McGinn at all. He'll need to be careful.

If he wants to go elsewhere now, and Hibs are happy with a fee offered, he can go.

Why would Celtic be pissed off if Hibs took a higher offer? Hibs can't force McGinn to sign for anyone, so he holds the aces to a large extent.

Precisely.

It will ultimately be up to SJM who he signs for, nothing to do with Hibs - or, hopefully, Celtc.
    At Easter Road They Play.....

Is Stevie Mallan not that creative type? Danny Swanson too?
    None of them are comparable to SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post

Im getting confused with all these card game metaphors. Do Celtic hold the aces? Do hibs? Where does four of a kind or a full house come into it?
    Obviously you're correct that McGinn will decide in the end, but it's also true that our fee demands will affect the chances of him going toceltc or not.. Personally, I'm now resigned to him going and really want Allan to sign for us.

Im getting confused with all these card game metaphors. Do Celtic hold the aces? Do hibs? Where does four of a kind or a full house come into it?
    Obviously you're correct that McGinn will decide in the end, but it's also true that our fee demands will affect the chances of him going toceltc or not.. Personally, I'm now resigned to him going and really want Allan to sign for us.
    And that would also apply to any other club. If Celtic offer £2m, and A N Other offers £1.5, Hibs won't be accepting £1.5m, therefore Celtic don't need to be pissed off.

I'm being swayed by the thought that Hibs won't do a deal with Celtic that is dependant on someone coming in the opposite direction. That will muddy the waters as far as St Mirren are concerned. A clean break with McGinn to wherever, and separate negotiations with other clubs over players, including maybe Celtic, would probably be more sensible.

If that means paying Celtic, within reason ,a fee for SA, so be it.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

I think I’m right I’m saying that Celtic hold all the aces unless someone else has top trumps but it depends on if they want to live in John McGinn or if Hibs can’t find somewhere else to live before we rent him out and ultimately demolish him in 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    I think I’m right I’m saying that Celtic hold all the aces unless someone else has top trumps but it depends on if they want to live in John McGinn or if Hibs can’t find somewhere else to live before we rent him out and ultimately demolish him in 12 months.
    You should write erotica.

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup. He’ll have to leave it for Super Scotty Allan.

The song fits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    11 goals and 22 assists in his last season at Saints for Stevie Mallan. Even with limited appearances last season Danny's impact per minute is an assist every 165 minutes.

I'm not downplaying how good Allan is, just slightly concerned that we may lack a bit of balance in midfield next season if rumours come to fruition.

Scott Allan is a good player but we have options (including one of our own in Fraser Murray, who could be a very good player indeed).

SJM has caught people’s attention for a reason and is only going to get better.

I know it’s very unlikely we can afford a new contract for him, but if he stays another season he can leave on a free and Celtc might be priced out of a move too.

The clock is ticking. If the lesser greens are serious about signing him they need to make a serious offer!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post

My sentiments exactly. They take the Mick time and time again when they raid other Scottish clubs.
    To me for 1.5 of which we will only end up with 1 million the best option is to let him run down his contract. Yes we lose million but could gain far more in Europa progression and cup plus league placing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal G View Post
    My sentiments exactly. They take the Mick time and time again when they raid other Scottish clubs.
    To me for 1.5 of which we will only end up with 1 million the best option is to let him run down his contract. Yes we lose million but could gain far more in Europa progression and cup plus league placing.
    SJM has been a great pro during all the speculation and might be one of the few players who would continue to give his all in a final year of contract. A fit, improving, committed John McGinn for a season or £1M in the bank ? Sooner have SJM.

I go back to the point I made some time ago.

Leicester have just paid £24 Million for Maddison who cannot lace John Mcginn's boots, and we are considering letting him go for £1.5 Million? In my opinion, McGinn is worth at least 4 times what Maddison is.

Can't get my head round it all.

And I go back to the point I made some time ago that if McGinn gets us into the third round of Europa the club will make a million quid we didn’t have last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post

Leicester have just paid £24 Million for Maddison who cannot lace John Mcginn's boots, and we are considering letting him go for £1.5 Million? In my opinion, McGinn is worth at least 4 times what Maddison is.

If SJM was tied to is for 4 years or so, I could see us holding off and telling most bids to get Tae... In the current scenario where he can essentially go on a free as of Jan...makes sense for us to take what we can get. Get your point re difference in fee though, just the sad state of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post

No we're not. The bid was rejected.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    50 shades of David Gray.....coming soon

Pun intended!