hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    brog, I'm cool with your post and not suggesting you've made anything up. You'll see from mine that the only credit I gave Petrie was negotiating the actual sales of the players.
    Setting the policy of signing players on long term deals will have been set by the Board and Petrie will have been acting as a Director of that Board.
    It's pretty clear Petrie and JC didn't have a very good working relationship but to be honest there doesn't seem to be many people down Easter Rd that did like JC as Manager.
    A theme that I believed continued at Livingston.

Fully agree on Tommy Craig and his influence over JC with players. Some of the worst signing I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Jonelit (excuse the spelling!) - I've played against better amateur players in my day.

Anyway happy to put this one to bed, which is just where I'm heading!!
    Funny enough, Joneleit was 100% a JC signing, as was Steven Pinau, last seen playing for my local team, Bromley! TBF though these were the right type of signings, low cost/high potential to be making at that time, they just didn't work out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    Allan played a major role in pushing us for second place. Allan for me was in the top two signings I wanted. Flo being first. I think he has a few games last year where he wasn't on his game but that's to be expected I don't think he was missing far too often. I can't see Celtic looking at anything near 250k for Allan nor do I think hibs would pay that for him. But when this sort of player becomes available its hard to pass up.
    What has Allan done in reality - Rotherham, Celtic and Dundee to justify anything above £250k ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by York Hibees View Post
    IMO too many people are hung up on Allan he would be a good signing but for me he is a luxury player. He goes missing far too often in matches. If we could get more from down south just forget about Celtic / Allan and get more money to buy other players. Celtic will probably value him higher ~1 million to offset the McGinn fee where in reality £250k is more realistic as he’s only been successful at hibs in recent times.
    I don't want to see a Hibs team stuffed with decent midfielders who only pass the ball sideways. It looks like we're going to lose our one midfielder who runs at defences & takes them on. In that case IMO it's even more imperative we get Scotty back. He is a rare breed these days, a player who can unlock a defence with one pass & also weigh in with vital goals. Scott is now my #1 pick since we got Flo on board.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    IMO too many people are hung up on Allan he would be a good signing but for me he is a luxury player. He goes missing far too often in matches. If we could get more from down south just forget about Celtic / Allan and get more money to buy other players. Celtic will probably value him higher ~1 million to offset the McGinn fee where in reality £250k is more realistic as he’s only been successful at hibs in recent times.
    sorry but he was one of our best players when he came back, to say he goes missing is just plain wrong

What has Allan done in reality - Rotherham, Celtic and Dundee to justify anything above £250k ?
    His value in a hibs jersey is huge. They guy changes games for us. I get he hasn't done it elsewhere, but he seems to love it here and we need to get it done.

If mcginn goes to Celtic and we don't get Allan I will be seriously hacked off ( no matter how much they pay).

@York Hibees

Exactly what I have said, He's done very little but he's been superb at Hibs. Which is why I don't think his valuation will be as big as 250k. But I think you would be struggling to find a player of Scott Allan's ability for £250k anywhere else without Risk and Luck playing a massive part.

It's important we get him back though especially with loosing Dylan and possibly/Likely McGinn

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    sorry but he was one of our best players when he came back, to say he goes missing is just plain wrong
    Opinions!
    I agree he certainly doesn't go missing, and if he's on his game then he's on a par with SJM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    I felt Scott Allan put more of a shift in in his second spell than his first spell. He just looked glad to be back. His strip was covered in sweat after every game and I give you his superb volley against Hearts and the way he celebrated it as a thank you to the fans for welcoming him back into the fold.

Hibs v Berwick goals being shown on SSN just now.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Opinions!
    I agree he certainly doesn't go missing, and if he's on his game then he's on a par with SJM.
    Scott Allan on his day is significantly better than SJM IMO. He’s had a few games at Hibs where he’s been astonishingly good, two of them against Rangers at ER. Only problem is that due to the fact he’s a risk taker he’ll have more poor games than SJM will have, but that’s the nature of the type of player he is.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    If John McGinn was a Celtic player, or any other team for that matter, would people think it was a good use of our resources to pay £1.5m to get him on loan for 12 months?

I wouldn't be at all happy if we did that, but if we allow his contract to run down, that's in effect what we'd be doing.

As much as it would be satisfying to tell Celtc to ram it, it would be naive and irresponsible business.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I felt Scott Allan put more of a shift in in his second spell than his first spell. He just looked glad to be back. His strip was covered in sweat after every game and I give you his superb volley against Hearts and the way he celebrated it as a thank you to the fans for welcoming him back into the fold.

Hibs v Berwick goals being shown on SSN just now.
    yip i agree, he certainly did not hide in games, if there is a slight chance to get him back at the club then i think it would be great

As I said I think he’s a good player but I wouldn’t let Celtic fleece us with the Mcginn fee just to get him. I have confidence that lennon can find us alternatives- who would have thought he would find Flo and Mclaren in Jan ?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    As I said I think he’s a good player but I wouldn’t let Celtic fleece us with the Mcginn fee just to get him. I have confidence that lennon can find us alternatives- who would have thought he would find Flo and Mclaren in Jan ?
    I don’t think we could get an alternative with anywhere near Scott Allan’s level of ability in our budget. Maybe a different type of midfielder, but not one of his style and substance.

@hibs.net private member
    Right my thinking I wouldn’t except Celtics next offer when it comes in. As a board I’d turn round and say sorry but NL thinks he’s worth more to the club than that or he’s worth X amount offer it or it’s no deal.

Play him on Sunday against Blackburn then if there are any interested English parties wanting him or swithering about a bid against Blackburn they can see him play against an English club and get a feel for him.

I still believe McGinn is desperate to join Celtic and that’s where he will end up but maybe just maybe the thought of £’s in the bank might persuade him otherwise.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I don’t think we could get an alternative with anywhere near Scott Allan’s level of ability in our budget. Maybe a different type of midfielder, but not one of his style and substance.
    Did we not spend approximately £200k development fee for Mcginn ?

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Is Stevie Mallan not that creative type? Danny Swanson too?

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Selling SJM reminds me of recent real estate transactions in my neck of the woods, and can be seen I guess on yon lifestyle programmes on selling houses.

Substitute SJM for the house, us for the owners and Celtic for the prospective buyers, and it’s similar.

The ‘owner’ feels almost invariably that his property is worth much more than being offered, partly due to emotional reasons, and frequently cites ‘the house up the road’ being sold for more, as justification for a higher price.

The buyer, however, looks on the purchase in a less emotional frame of mind, and generally will walk away and look elsewhere if the seller does not sufficiently move.

We will place a value on SJM that others don’t see, and the possibility exists that the sale will not go through...and eventually SJMwill move at no cost, or a much reduced cost in January.

Players, like houses, are only worth what someone else will pay for them....not on what we ‘think’ they should be.

Maybe not the best analogy; amongst other things, if no-one offered the price we wanted for our house we wouldn't just give it away.
    At Easter Road They Play.....

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Funny enough, Joneleit was 100% a JC signing, as was Steven Pinau, last seen playing for my local team, Bromley! TBF though these were the right type of signings, low cost/high potential to be making at that time, they just didn't work out.
    Were they not both loans?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Fulham looking at McGinn now? Peter Grant is there so will know McGinn well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    and have bid. Great family club, always had a soft spot for them used to live opposite their training ground at Motspur Park.Would be a great move for SJM.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    No hence the big sell on fee
    Did we not spend approximately £200k development fee for Mcginn ?
    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    No hence the big sell on fee

I may be wrong, I thought we paid 200k and agreed a sell on fee ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-sign-midfielder-john-mcginn-on-four-year-deal-1-3845697/amp
    Last edited by Bob Box Fish; 05-07-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    If John McGinn was a Celtic player, or any other team for that matter, would people think it was a good use of our resources to pay £1.5m to get him on loan for 12 months?

I wouldn't be at all happy if we did that, but if we allow his contract to run down, that's in effect what we'd be doing.

As much as it would be satisfying to tell Celtc to ram it, it would be naive and irresponsible business.
    100% this and we won't let this fee slip away.. it's just a game PL plays and we will sell for nearer £2m IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    and have bid. Great family club, always had a soft spot for them used to live opposite their training ground at Motspur Park.Would be a great move for SJM.
    That would be a great move for John. I was told a week ago if all goes well he would go to English premiership club but source wouldn't say who .
    To me this fits well .
    Any idea on the bid

@hibs.net private member

And let's not kid ourselves, Celtic know how much we want him (even if they don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    That would be a great move for John. I was told a week ago if all goes well he would go to English premiership club but source wouldn't say who .
    To me this fits well .
    Any idea on the bid

2.5 million was the figure quoted though I suspect there may be tie-ons. I got the impression and it was only an impression that it was all an advanced stage.

When you think about it logically it would be a very, very good move for John. The question is what will have the final say his heart or his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

I'd agree with this, even at the risk of being called a Hibbyradge fanboy

Getting hold of Scott Allan is the key factor here, its unrealistic to think we 'hold all the cards' because we don't..I'm not sure selling McGinn to an English club in the hope of getting more money, and then having to deal with a p'eed off Celtic, would make financial sense. It might cost more and we might miss out on Allan, who imo is going to have a big season for us.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'd agree with this, even at the risk of being called a Hibbyradge fanboy
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I think we will be easy to deal with as we have had a few good players from sellik over the years and IMO Lennon wont wish to damage his relationship with Rodgers thus damaging any future moves for sellik players.IMO we will accept the next bid along with Allan keeping a good relationship intact, as I think Rodgers may well be at sellik for the foreseeable future. Thus my hoping for 5 mill will not appear.

Almost what Hibsbollah was saying

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Selling SJM reminds me of recent real estate transactions in my neck of the woods, and can be seen I guess on yon lifestyle programmes on selling houses.

Substitute SJM for the house, us for the owners and Celtic for the prospective buyers, and it’s similar.

The ‘owner’ feels almost invariably that his property is worth much more than being offered, partly due to emotional reasons, and frequently cites ‘the house up the road’ being sold for more, as justification for a higher price.

The buyer, however, looks on the purchase in a less emotional frame of mind, and generally will walk away and look elsewhere if the seller does not sufficiently move.

We will place a value on SJM that others don’t see, and the possibility exists that the sale will not go through...and eventually SJMwill move at no cost, or a much reduced cost in January.

Players, like houses, are only worth what someone else will pay for them....not on what we ‘think’ they should be.
    Jeez Freddie, you've become a right boring b***ard. Sitting at home in Oz watching real estate programmes. Get yourself back to Embra for a taste of the high life with a pie & a pint in Middletons!!

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    2.5 million was the figure quoted though I suspect there may be tie-ons. I got the impression and it was only an impression that it was all an advanced stage.

When you think about it logically it would be a very, very good move for John. The question is what will have the final say his heart or his head.

yes would be good move a bit light on the fee side but I'm sure the club will be working on that at least it is competition and that drives the price up