hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Was quality at Cardiff last year so glad we're (Cardiff) getting him cheap. Makes you wonder what SJM is worth though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    £1.7m for a 31 year old Scottish midfielder that wasn't good enough to get anywhere near the Scotland squad in recent times. Makes me wonder how much we might get for McGinn.
    Sadly has no relevance to the McGinn deal. Bryson has been a good player at a higher level for many years now.

Fulham looking at McGinn now? Peter Grant is there so will know McGinn well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Fulham looking at McGinn now? Peter Grant is there so will know McGinn well.

Seen someone mention this on twitter aswell mae, any idea where it's came from?

Nope, just seen it mentioned a couple of times.

If Celtic seriously want him then they will have to pay. If not, they run the risk of missing out when he's free to agree higher wages at an English club come January, because they've saved on a transfer fee. If Hibs have any pretensions of being a top 2/3 club then they can't be bullied on this and McGinn's onfield value could over the course of this campaign only benefit the club if he remains for another season and leaves for free.

Coaching Staff
    Selling SJM reminds me of recent real estate transactions in my neck of the woods, and can be seen I guess on yon lifestyle programmes on selling houses.

Substitute SJM for the house, us for the owners and Celtic for the prospective buyers, and it’s similar.

The ‘owner’ feels almost invariably that his property is worth much more than being offered, partly due to emotional reasons, and frequently cites ‘the house up the road’ being sold for more, as justification for a higher price.

The buyer, however, looks on the purchase in a less emotional frame of mind, and generally will walk away and look elsewhere if the seller does not sufficiently move.

We will place a value on SJM that others don’t see, and the possibility exists that the sale will not go through...and eventually SJMwill move at no cost, or a much reduced cost in January.

Players, like houses, are only worth what someone else will pay for them....not on what we ‘think’ they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Selling SJM reminds me of recent real estate transactions in my neck of the woods, and can be seen I guess on yon lifestyle programmes on selling houses.

Substitute SJM for the house, us for the owners and Celtic for the prospective buyers, and it’s similar.

The ‘owner’ feels almost invariably that his property is worth much more than being offered, partly due to emotional reasons, and frequently cites ‘the house up the road’ being sold for more, as justification for a higher price.

The buyer, however, looks on the purchase in a less emotional frame of mind, and generally will walk away and look elsewhere if the seller does not sufficiently move.

We will place a value on SJM that others don’t see, and the possibility exists that the sale will not go through...and eventually SJMwill move at no cost, or a much reduced cost in January.

Players, like houses, are only worth what someone else will pay for them....not on what we ‘think’ they should be.
    Very true and well put

1.5 million even with Allan as a makeweight is nothing short of an insult … they got 7 million for Armstrong and want 25 million for Tierney …. Hibs should absolutely and unreservedly tell them to take their so called 'offer' and shove it right up their arse … insulting cheeky *******s. I would rather see SJM run down his contract and go for nothing.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Very true and well put
    I’m thinking the complete opposite!

If Celtic want McGinn they need to buy him now. Come January he can do a pre season with an English club on far higher wages as has already been mentioned.

If he goes South then Celtic can forget about ever affording to buy him back.

They knew fine well that Hibs wouldn’t accept their offer and they’ll come back with a vastly improved one, probably involving Allan.

Hibs hold all all the aces here. Not McGinn and certainly not Celtic.

I’m completed relaxed about the whole thing. Either we have him for a season then he goes for nowt with everyone’s best wishes, or we sell him now for a fee that our Board are happy with.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

As has already been covered, our 'house' absolutely has a value for us.

While we could get rid now and try our best to buy a suitable replacement, we could live in it for the next 12 months while we run the lease down. We could also run our family business from it quite successfully and get the additional income that comes with doing so.

Failing any of that we could always sell the house in January when there aren't as many houses available for sale.

Meanwhile the prospective buyer has sold a couple of high profile buy to let properties and has found that other sellers are playing hardball with the value of their houses as well.
    Last edited by Speedy; 05-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Firstly thanks for your detailed & informative posts. I really don't want to drag this out but let me add some clarifications.
    #1, I don't know JC & my info doesn't come from him or anyone associated with him. I only posted about this originally because I was fed up with seeing RP being touted as a transfer wizard. RP was a rugby fan who had never seen a football game until STF brought him into Hibs. His negotiating tactics were 100% based on finance, he had zero feel or knowledge of the football market. #2 yes Fletch was originally on a long term contract but it was for sweeties. Overnight he went from lowest to highest paid player at ER. #3. JC's main fault with recruitment was that he relied too much on Tommy Craig. Both Brian Kerr & AOB played under TC at Newcastle. A 3rd ex Newcastle player sat in my living room after playing that day for Crystal Palace & advised TC had indicated an interest in him coming to ER. Thankfully, as he did nothing subsequently, we were miles apart on wages, but ironically his friend was v interested in coming to Hibs & he was still an EPL player last year.
    That's it, as usual I suspect the true & full story is somewhere in the middle but I hope you'll appreciate I'm neither making things up nor repeating 2nd hand gossip.u
    brog, I'm cool with your post and not suggesting you've made anything up. You'll see from mine that the only credit I gave Petrie was negotiating the actual sales of the players.
    Setting the policy of signing players on long term deals will have been set by the Board and Petrie will have been acting as a Director of that Board.
    It's pretty clear Petrie and JC didn't have a very good working relationship but to be honest there doesn't seem to be many people down Easter Rd that did like JC as Manager.
    A theme that I believed continued at Livingston.

Fully agree on Tommy Craig and his influence over JC with players. Some of the worst signing I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Jonelit (excuse the spelling!) - I've played against better amateur players in my day.

Anyway happy to put this one to bed, which is just where I'm heading!!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    It will be an undisclosed fee, nearly all Hibs transfers are.

@hibs.net private member

All very well but you have to buy a new house and the house depends on what you achieve for your own house.

If you don’t get the price you want, you are better keeping your house and waiting for the right deal to come along or stay where you are.

Again Hibs don’t need the money, of course it would be handy, but SJM may help us finish higher up the league and qualify for the European stages. Wishful thinking maybe but no need to accept silly offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    All very well but you have to buy a new house and the house depends on what you achieve for your own house.

If you don’t get the price you want, you are better keeping your house and waiting for the right deal to come along or stay where you are.

Again Hibs don’t need the money, of course it would be handy, but SJM may help us finish higher up the league and qualify for the European stages. Wishful thinking maybe but no need to accept silly offers.
    Turned out the dispassionate prospective buyer was a local tramp.

Thankfully Fulham, Derby and Brighton buyers also showed up and théy were cash buyers, no mortgage required and no drama.

also the local buyer would have rubbed our noses in it by making us visit our much loved old house 4 times a season whereas the cash buyers from elsewhere save us from that.
    Last edited by Springbank; 05-07-2018 at 05:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    It should all kick off today! If Celtic really want SJM he has to be registered by them with EUFA for the CL. So it is pay up or shut up squeaky bum time.

We on the other hand have our own agenda and need to push on with the small matter of getting new recruits on board for the upcoming Europa League games and the new SPFL season.

Look forward to a bumpy ride.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    It should all kick off today! If Celtic really want SJM he has to be registered by them with EUFA for the CL. So it is pay up or shut up squeaky bum time.

We on the other hand have our own agenda and need to push on with the small matter of getting new recruits on board for the upcoming Europa League games and the new SPFL season.

Look forward to a bumpy ride.
    They don’t need to have him in today, they’d still have until Monday to register one more player.

I think if we’re close though you’re right, they’d prefer to get this one over the line and leave the other available slot for someone else.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    They don’t need to have him in today, they’d still have until Monday to register one more player.

I think if we’re close though you’re right, they’d prefer to get this one over the line and leave the other available slot for someone else.
    Well they will need to up their offer then the miserable pikey *******s that they are.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Woke up this morning to a text from a good mate who has good contacts, and he said SJM was pulled last night because a deal was near.

I'd imagine its the smellies, although hopefully these new admirers down south change things.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Woke up this morning to a text from a good mate who has good contacts, and he said SJM was pulled last night because a deal was near.

I'd imagine its the smellies, although hopefully these new admirers down south change things.
    Parker said we rested a few players which seemed weird. Why are we needing to rest players after one pre season game?

Bet it was all an elaborate plan to make sure it didn’t look suspicious that just McGinn was missing
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-07-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Parker said we rested a few players which seemed weird. Why are we needing to rest players after one pre season game?

Bet it was all an elaborate plan to make sure it didn’t look suspicious that just McGinn was missing
    I find that very strange if Parker said that. IMO we didn't arrange enough friendlies to prepare for the Europa League as it is, to 'rest' key players like Kamberi when they need game time the most is mental.

IF McGinn is moving lets get it done quickly and get Allan in time to play on Sunday.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I find that very strange if Parker said that. IMO we didn't arrange enough friendlies to prepare for the Europa League as it is, to 'rest' key players like Kamberi when they need game time the most is mental.

IF McGinn is moving lets get it done quickly and get Allan in time to play on Sunday.
    Agree with your last point. If it’s going to happen then let’s get it done and get any players that we’re getting in return a run out on Sunday before Europe.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    Jonelit (excuse the spelling!) - I've played against better amateur players in my day.
    I’m not so sure many amateur players end up winning the Belgian league.
    Last edited by overdrive; 05-07-2018 at 07:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

It was always the intention.

Sunday's team will be very close if not identical to the team for the Europa first leg.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Have until 11pm Wednesday to register the extra player.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    We have until Wednesday but they have until Monday. They play on a Tuesday and Wednesday remember. We play on a Thursday.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    It is 2 additional players that can be registered.

42.07 List A has to be submitted online by the following fixed deadlines:
    a. 21 June 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the preliminary round;
    b. 6 July 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the first qualifying round;
    c. 20 July 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the second qualifying round;
    d. 3 August 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the third qualifying round;
    e. 17 August 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the play-offs;
    f. 3 September 2018 (24.00CET) for all further matches from the first match in
    the group stage up to and including the final.

42.08 For the qualifying phase and the play-offs, a club may register a maximum of two
    new eligible players on List A after the above-mentioned deadlines
    , provided the
    quota of locally trained players is respected. Such registration must be completed
    by 24.00CET on the day before the relevant first-leg match and the club’s
    association must confirm in writing that the new player is eligible to play at
    domestic level at this time.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles...2_DOWNLOAD.pdf

IMO too many people are hung up on Allan he would be a good signing but for me he is a luxury player. He goes missing far too often in matches. If we could get more from down south just forget about Celtic / Allan and get more money to buy other players. Celtic will probably value him higher ~1 million to offset the McGinn fee where in reality £250k is more realistic as he’s only been successful at hibs in recent times.

Allan played a major role in pushing us for second place. Allan for me was in the top two signings I wanted. Flo being first. I think he has a few games last year where he wasn't on his game but that's to be expected I don't think he was missing far too often. I can't see Celtic looking at anything near 250k for Allan nor do I think hibs would pay that for him. But when this sort of player becomes available its hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    1.5 million even with Allan as a makeweight is nothing short of an insult … they got 7 million for Armstrong and want 25 million for Tierney …. Hibs should absolutely and unreservedly tell them to take their so called 'offer' and shove it right up their arse … insulting cheeky *******s. I would rather see SJM run down his contract and go for nothing.
    Too damn right!