hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I don 't mind a club coming in with a lowish bid however, when the figure they start with is insulting then I would tell them GFO and refuse to even negotiate with them thereafter. The OF are the worse perpetrators of this sort of nonsense.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Peter Lawwell has quite a reputation of being a hard guy to deal with, the problem for him is he's up against the Tache and Dempster.

The Tache WILL get the cash!

It’s a difficult one. For me, it’s vital some sort of sell on clause is included in the deal. We’ve seen the likes of Van Dijk and Forster move down to England, and now Armstrong. For me, an ideal deal would be 2m (bare minimum), Allan permanently and 15% sell on clause.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You said there must be a reason for him failing at Celtic 'whether he doesn't do enough in training or whatever'. The reason is probably that there are much better players there than him competing for his place - and if you don't know about whether he does enough in training then I reckon it's fair to assume that he's not getting a game because there are too many good players there. Not something that will have any bearing on his value as a player to other clubs.
    If he can’t get an opportunity ahead of they players then he won’t be doing enough at training or else he’d have had more chances. Again, I’m not saying it’s through a lack of effort, but if he was showing enough in training to justify putting him in ahead of the named players then I’m sure he’d have had more chances. It’s only logical to presume that in training he wasn’t at their level and therefore Rodgers didn’t see fit to give him an opportunity. Which would make his time at Celtic a failure.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    £4m + Scott Allan as a bare minimum. Any less, tell Sellik to take a hike!!
    I'm sure we'll get offered more, but if £1.5m is the highest bid we receive, then that's what he's worth.

As tempting as it might be to tell them to ram it and let him go for nowt in 12 months, that would be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

£1.5m is enough to pay for 2 or 3 very decent 3 year contracts.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

1.5 million and Allan and hayes is fair imo.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    If he can’t get an opportunity ahead of they players then he won’t be doing enough at training or else he’d have had more chances. Again, I’m not saying it’s through a lack of effort, but if he was showing enough in training to justify putting him in ahead of the named players then I’m sure he’d have had more chances. It’s only logical to presume that in training he wasn’t at their level and therefore Rodgers didn’t see fit to give him an opportunity. Which would make his time at Celtic a failure.
    You said he 'struggles everywhere he goes' though, and seemingly think that this will affect his value? I'm saying that failing to get into that Celtic midfield will do little harm to the opinion other clubs hold of him. He didn't do well at West Brom or Rotherham but he did well at Dundee United, Dundee, amazing at Hibs but couldn't get into a double treble winning Celtic midfield. This idea that he struggles everywhere apart from Hibs is pish mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm sure we'll get offered more, but if £1.5m is the highest bid we receive, then that's what he's worth.

As tempting as it might be to tell them to ram it and let him go for nowt in 12 months, that would be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

I can’t actually believe that anyone is remotely happy with these sort of figures! After St Mirren get their cut we’re not left with much. McGinn would be worth more than that to Hibs by playing here for another season. Armstrong £8m and £1.5 for McGinn is utterly laughable!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I can’t actually believe that anyone is remotely happy with these sort of figures! After St Mirren get their cut we’re not left with much. McGinn would be worth more than that to Hibs by playing here for another season. Armstrong £8m and £1.5 for McGinn is utterly laughable!
    I don't think I'd be happy with just £1.5m or even £2m but the reality is we can't afford to let him walk for free. And letting him go for £2m and getting a player or two is a better situation than letting him stay for a year and get zero. I love McGinn and appreciate LD's line about his value being on the pitch, but for Hibs' best interests we need a deal this summer.

Have to disagree, if 1.5 mil is the top offer which it will not be but if it was it needs to be rejected, by the time we give St Mirren their cut it would be better to keep him. We will make the money up on another good season with McGinn playing for us. McGinn staying in my opiion would produce more season ticket sales and probably more walk ups.

As i say 1.5 is the starting point us hibby,s will need to watch from the sidelines because there is no way that will be the only bid for him, let the auction begin

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    You said he 'struggles everywhere he goes' though, and seemingly think that this will affect his value? I'm saying that failing to get into that Celtic midfield will do little harm to the opinion other clubs hold of him. He didn't do well at West Brom or Rotherham but he did well at Dundee United, Dundee, amazing at Hibs but couldn't get into a double treble winning Celtic midfield. This idea that he struggles everywhere apart from Hibs is pish mate.
    He didn’t do well at Dundee though did he? IIRC he played something like 18 games at Dundee Utd and that was a long time ago. Allan dodn’t make an impression at WBA, Rotherham, Celtic, nor at clubs he was loaned to when with WBA. His failure at Celtic is relative, fair enough.

However, dismissing some elses view as pish is pretty ironically pishy in itself.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    Have to disagree, if 1.5 mil is the top offer which it will not be but if it was it needs to be rejected, by the time we give St Mirren their cut it would be better to keep him. We will make the money up on another good season with McGinn playing for us. McGinn staying in my opiion would produce more season ticket sales and probably more walk ups.

As i say 1.5 is the starting point us hibby,s will need to watch from the sidelines because there is no way that will be the only bid for him, let the auction begin
    What if McGinn wants to leave? Would it be better keep8ng him then. He’s going, and as 7nderscore has said, it may well be undisclosed fee. It would save a lot of consternation on here.

Personally, I don’t care. Me angsting won’t make a blind bit of difference, but it will help my post count reach the magical 3000 figure and that’s the only stat that counts for me.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Nonsense. Sometimes you just need to bide your time and find a buyer who appreciates the true value of your asset.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/921872/teapot-auction-shocked-bargain-hunter-John-Bartlam-American

@hibs.net private member
    A bid of 1.5m should be treated with contempt. While we obviously lose bargaining power the closer it gets to SJM's contract ending, Celtic also risk having to compete with other teams for his signature as his profile rises. He should be an integral part of the Scotland squad in the coming season and his value is only going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I'm not happy with the offer.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Nonsense. Sometimes you just need to bide your time and find a buyer who appreciates the true value of your asset.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/921872/teapot-auction-shocked-bargain-hunter-John-Bartlam-American
    I agree.

The highest offer we receive is what he's worth.

1.5 mil? Add Allan, Hayes and Christie or double your money and we'll talk

Celtic naturally looking to test the waters. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as I feel the McGinn money will contribute to any bids for McLaren and a winger.

Ideally we'd tell Celtic to bolt but as the best team in Scotland, they have a better reserve team than most first team's in the country so have many players we could and should be interested in so there's potential to do a deal that suits both clubs
    Last edited by GreenNWhiteArmy; 03-07-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Acting just like the Huns with that kind of offer. Unsettle the player, and hope to force us into a panic sale. Exactly what the Huns did with Scott Allan.

They are the establishment club of Scotland, maintaining their stranglehold on the league by weakening teams like ourselves and Aberdeen, whilst at the same time, bitching about the quality of the league when they get pumped out of Europe.

Like the Huns in more ways than they care to admit.

Testimonial Due
    The Celtic offer is maybe what they estimate they will get him for? And be sure it will be enough to unsettle McGinn, and when they come back with £2 million it will be accepted?
    If an offer comes in from down south, Celtic will pull out of the bidding war!!!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    He made 8 appearances for Dundee United, let’s not make out like he was immense for them over a sustained period. I wouldn’t even be surprised if alot of them were from the bench. He also didn’t start fairly often for a Dundee team at the bottom of the league. Quite how that constitutes doing well I’m not sure.

I’m Scott Allan’s biggest fan, I was desperate to bring him back in January and I’m desperate to bring him back again. But he has only had a sustained period of good performances at Easter Road throughout his career, nowhere else.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 03-07-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He made 8 appearances for Dundee United, let’s not make out like he was immense for them over a sustained period. He also didn’t start fairly often for a Dundee team at the bottom of the league. Quite how that constitutes doing well I’m not sure.

I’m Scott Allan’s biggest fan, I was desperate to bring him back in January and I’m desperate to bring him back again. But he has only had a sustained period of good performances at Easter Road throughout his career, nowhere else.
    I agree, I also liked him as an addition to our midfield last year but how he will shape up as a replacement for McGinn and Mcgeouch is anyone’s guess. He also tends to go missing in games when things aren’t going well. I like him but think we could get ripped off with his valuation if we aren’t careful.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I agree.

The highest offer we receive is what he's worth.
    And if nobody offered anything then he's worth nothing?

He has a value to us, if someone doesn't match that then we shouldn't sell.

If we accept a mediocre offer because he would be free in the summer then I won't be happy. I would rather Hibs told Celtic to bolt than accept 1.5m for McGinn Hes worth more to us for another season playing in Europe competing for domestic Trophies. I think McGinn will leave this window but we shouldn't be forced to sell at a knock down price because we risk loosing him for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    And if nobody offered anything then he's worth nothing?

He has a value to us, if someone doesn't match that then we shouldn't sell.
    In which case his monetary value to us would be zero.

I hope we get a huge amount for him, but we do need to sell him, even if the offers don't meet our expectations. Full size indoor training facilities don't come cheap.

When we sell a house, we hope for a huge offer, but usually we're disappointed and it's the buyer who determines it's actual value not the seller.

If other clubs come in for him, his value will increase. Hopefully that's what will happen.

I hope we get a huge amount for him, but we do need to sell him, even if the offers don't meet our expectations. Full size indoor training facilities don't come cheap.

When we sell a house, we hope for a huge offer, but usually we're disappointed and it's the buyer who determines it's actual value not the seller.

If other clubs come in for him, his value will increase. Hopefully that's what will happen.
    I am glad you are not Leeann Dempster!

The posters above are right - John McGinn has a value to Hibernian Football Club.

If others do not match that (or in Celtic's embarrassing case, if they CANNOT match that, because they are not nearly as flush as they would like everyone to think) then they DO NOT GET John McGinn.

£1.5m is somewhere south of halfway.

They know it.

We (mostly) all know it.

And Hibs would be well within their rights to say he is worth more to us on the field than to sell.

Celtic will not get John McGinn for that shan offer.

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    If we accept a mediocre offer because he would be free in the summer then I won't be happy. I would rather Hibs told Celtic to bolt than accept 1.5m for McGinn Hes worth more to us for another season playing in Europe competing for domestic Trophies. I think McGinn will leave this window but we shouldn't be forced to sell at a knock down price because we risk loosing him for nothing.
    I'll be furious if he signs a pre-contract with Celtic on January 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post

The posters above are right - John McGinn has a value to Hibernian Football Club.

If others do not match that (or in Celtic's embarrassing case, if they CANNOT match that, because they are not nearly as flush as they would like everyone to think) then they DO NOT GET John McGinn.

They know it.

We (mostly) all know it.

And Hibs would be well within their rights to say he is worth more to us on the field than to sell.

They could get him for nothing next May.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Surely there would be a monetary value to keeping him and having a successful season?

We could also potentially offer him a new contract so he gets a decent pay rise for the next year and have a minimum fee release clause put into his contract for next summer. There'd be no incentive for him to sign a new deal like that now but at the end of the window there would be.

Quote from Follow Follow, in their rage thread on McGinn no going to them - like that was ever going to happen 😂.

“He has the most catholic face in Scotland.”

In the fear of treading over much frequented ground, the Huns really are the **** of the earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post

They know it.

We (mostly) all know it.

No one's saying it isn't a shan offer, McGinn is worth so much more. I agree with you that if they came in with 500k or even £1m then I'd rather just keep him for the year due to the fact St Mirren would take 30%. But the fact of the matter is if they offer £1.5m and a player or even £2m and a player. We need to have a serious think about it at that point.

McGinn is great, but while we may not be in financial difficulty or anything like that we need to make sure we get money where we can (especially after having lost McGeouch for nout) to continue pushing on as a club. Selling McGinn for something increases our chances of replacing him adequately and maintaining our push for the 2nd/3rd area of the table for the next few years. Letting him go for free only increases those chances for next season only (if his head hasn't turned) and leaves the task much harder after next summer.