hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    If McGinn isn't sold and gets a bad injury, we could lose him for the season and have no money from a sale - far too big a risk for us.

We'll sell him and rightly so. I love him and he's been very good for us, but life goes on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If McGinn isn't sold and gets a bad injury, we could lose him for the season and have no money from a sale - far too big a risk for us.

We'll sell him and rightly so. I love him and he's been very good for us, but life goes on.
    Yipp! It happened to the Jambos with Calum Paterson - they rejected derisory offers for him, then he gets injured for the season, and signs a pr contract elsewhere.

tbh, seeing how he’s turned out, it’s no wonder that they were spewing at losing him for free.

Would hate for the same to happen to us with McGinn

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Mulumbu would be a fantastic signing
    Surprised he hasn’t found a new club yet, although teams in France and England leave things a bit later.
    Doubt he would come to us ahead of staying with Killie for a few quid more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

Doomsday scenario which shouldn't affect our valuation.

If we retain him we can assume he will leave for nothing. We will plan our recruitment with that in mind. Whether he gets injured or not is simply the vagaries of football.

If we are dependant on getting just any money in then we'll sell ourselves short. I'd rather the club got a fair price than got short changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    It’s only natural for rival supporters to talk down the best players of other teams, especially if they are in the ‘unobtainable to them’ bracket. I would gladly admire any of their better players if they had any.
    They did have 1, Mclaughlin.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Surprised he hasn’t found a new club yet, although teams in France and England leave things a bit later.
    I'm surprised no team has come in for Steve Clarke yet, what a job he did there last season.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    He’d be leaving us for more money and also playing in a better side with better players. Although I still don’t think he’ll be coming here, I also can’t see why he’d choose Killie over us.

As good as McGinn can be and he has improved a lot this past 2 seasons, there were times I felt he tried too hard to make things happen therefore he made simple basic errors, these are still things he needs to iron out of his game if he wants to go further. Knowing McGinn's mindset and professionalism he'll be working as hard as ever to make himself the best, whether that's at Celtic or elsewhere, maybe that's the reason why no one has come in with the £3-5m offer yet, they still see him developing.

£1.5m is a pathetic offer and fine well Celtic know it. Exactly the same as what sevco do when bidding on another Scottish clubs players. Pair of them show so much disrespect and contempt for the other clubs in this country its unreal.

Really hope an English club comes in and blows Celtic out the water for SJM and he goes down there.

https://thecelticstar.com/celtics-back-mcginn-2million-bid-plus-scott-allan

Got sent this this afternoon dunno if there is truth in it.

IMO this is already a done deal, and probably has been for a long time, all we are now doing is playing out the end game. Both clubs apparently playing hard ball to appease their own fans and a compromise will be made where the “best deal” is agreed. The other scenario is that SJM bides his time and signs a pre contract in January.
    Again, IMO Celtic are operating from a strong position knowing that their ultimate replacement for Scott Brown wants to sign for them can wait until contract runs down. Don’t know what the final deal will be, but I think SJM is Parkhead bound.
    Disclaimer. No inside info but 50 years experience hoping against hope that we are about to lose another talented player to the OF. This time I hope it benefits the club, but we are in a weak position.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Don’t think Hibs have the slightest wish to sell to Celtic and they will be delighted to get better bids from down south.Also don’t consider Celtic want McGinn as another Brown.

Left by mutual consent!
    2018 transfer fees gone nuts we have been bid 1.5m for a double cup winning International player. What a total pile of piss.

The fear of losing him for nothing cannot enter this, now is the time to push this all the way IMO if somebody really wants him let's see it.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 04-07-2018 at 05:10 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I think Lennon and Dempster would quite happily keep him for the season and let him leave for nothing this time next year rather than accept a low offer from Celtic.

Despite what the doomsayers might think, we hold all the cards here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    2018 transfer fees gone nuts we have been bid 1.5m for a double cup winning International player. What a total pile of piss.

The fear of losing him for nothing cannot enter this, now is the time to push this all the way IMO if somebody really wants him let's see it.
    Considering St Mirren are due a chunk doesn’t leave much if that’s all we are getting (think we will get more though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I think Lennon and Dempster would quite happily keep him for the season and let him leave for nothing this time next year rather than accept a low offer from Celtic.

Despite what the doomsayers might think, we hold all the cards here.
    I am with you. He can only talk to a club just now if we allow it. In 6 months he can talk to he likes one club could trump another very easily big wages down south could have an effect on what is seen as likely destination.

Some clubs may not wish to take risk in open market.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    We need to get Allan out of Parkhead before we sell McGinn down south otherwise the Allan price tag will mysteriously sky rocket.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by homehibby View Post
    https://thecelticstar.com/celtics-back-mcginn-2million-bid-plus-scott-allan

Got sent this this afternoon dunno if there is truth in it.
    Some bits Might be true but they are a dilussional lot. In short as SJM is on low wages at Hibs we cant use Armstrong’s transfer to Southampton as a comparison - we should compare to the time when he left D.utd for Celtic. Hope Hibs play hardball here and don’t let that lot walk over us.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    Some bits Might be true but they are a dilussional lot. In short as SJM is on low wages at Hibs we cant use Armstrong’s transfer to Southampton as a comparison - we should compare to the time when he left D.utd for Celtic. Hope Hibs play hardball here and don’t let that lot walk over us.
    Scott Brown was on peanuts if I remember rightly. Ok he has 1 yeear left but he should be worth alot more than the pish offered.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 04-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    We need to get Allan out of Parkhead before we sell McGinn down south otherwise the Allan price tag will mysteriously sky rocket.
    No it wont, be done a very similar deal to get McGeouch. If Allan doesn't happen initially it will later for a cheap price/no price.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs07p View Post
    IMO this is already a done deal, and probably has been for a long time, all we are now doing is playing out the end game. Both clubs apparently playing hard ball to appease their own fans and a compromise will be made where the “best deal” is agreed. The other scenario is that SJM bides his time and signs a pre contract in January.
    Again, IMO Celtic are operating from a strong position knowing that their ultimate replacement for Scott Brown wants to sign for them can wait until contract runs down. Don’t know what the final deal will be, but I think SJM is Parkhead bound.
    Disclaimer. No inside info but 50 years experience hoping against hope that we are about to lose another talented player to the OF. This time I hope it benefits the club, but we are in a weak position.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016
    Sums it all up perfectly.The only thing that will change this is if we suddenly build a 60000 seat stadium and fill it every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No it wont, be done a very similar deal to get McGeouch. If Allan doesn't happen initially it will later for a cheap price/no price.
    He's saying if McGinn goes to England though

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Scott Brown was on peanuts if I remember rightly. Ok he has 1 yeear left but he should be worth alot more than the pish offered.
    So how much was his peanuts of a wage ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    Sorry but we're going to have to disagree on this one.
    As I said before your version is as JC would want you to think. Squad at the time tell a very different story.

Yes you're right if we'd sold Brown/Thomson when they wanted to go, we probably would not have won the CIS Cup.
    But difference is I was told JC wanted both Brown/Thomson out in that January window.

The Board didn't think this was in the interest of the Club and reluctantly agreed to sell Thomson.
    Club gets a fee way above JC's valuation. But of course JC claims it was his deal!

Brown you'll not see him say a bad word about Hibs and when asked is very complimentary in the way he was dealt with after the window shut through to him leaving.
    Ask him - I did. Club gets a valuation above that of JC - but of course JC claims it was his deal!!

On Fletch, Club were just following the policy they'd adopted years before in getting young players with potential on long term contracts.
    Miller, Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Murphy, Whittaker were all put on long term deals before being sold - but of course JC claims Fletch was his idea!!!

So, as I've been told it, if JC had got his way in that January window club would have sold Brown/Thomson for lower fees than we got and both players would have been gone before the CIS final. Would we have been happy with that? I think not. But that didn't so it's easy to claim a different story because of the positive outcome.

See there are two sides to a story. I know which one I believe as been told it by several players over the years, and not just those directly involved, but I'm sure you have you're reasons for believing you're side of things.

I have great memories of JC, as old enough to remember him as a young Hibs Player, and will always appreciate him taking over the team and the fabulous performance in the CIS Cup Final but after that it went completely wrong and his lack of man-management was found out. The Dunfermline Scot Cup Semi loss was just embarrassing and the team was on a downward spiral. Then when it comes to recruitment I just can't bear to type some of the names. Needless to say not one of them make my all-time Hibs team.
    Firstly thanks for your detailed & informative posts. I really don't want to drag this out but let me add some clarifications.
    #1, I don't know JC & my info doesn't come from him or anyone associated with him. I only posted about this originally because I was fed up with seeing RP being touted as a transfer wizard. RP was a rugby fan who had never seen a football game until STF brought him into Hibs. His negotiating tactics were 100% based on finance, he had zero feel or knowledge of the football market. #2 yes Fletch was originally on a long term contract but it was for sweeties. Overnight he went from lowest to highest paid player at ER. #3. JC's main fault with recruitment was that he relied too much on Tommy Craig. Both Brian Kerr & AOB played under TC at Newcastle. A 3rd ex Newcastle player sat in my living room after playing that day for Crystal Palace & advised TC had indicated an interest in him coming to ER. Thankfully, as he did nothing subsequently, we were miles apart on wages, but ironically his friend was v interested in coming to Hibs & he was still an EPL player last year.
    That's it, as usual I suspect the true & full story is somewhere in the middle but I hope you'll appreciate I'm neither making things up nor repeating 2nd hand gossip.u

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    So how much was his peanuts of a wage ?
    It was not my description of his wages it was his agents.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Derby county just accepted a £1.7m bid for Craig Bryson, wonder if that could trigger an offer for Mcginn.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    He's saying if McGinn goes to England though
    So he is, ignore me. I'm dumb.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Derby county just accepted a £1.7m bid for Craig Bryson, wonder if that could trigger an offer for Mcginn.
    Where is Bryson off to ?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Where is Bryson off to ?
    Cardiff.

Think he was on loan there last season

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    £1.7m for a 31 year old Scottish midfielder that wasn't good enough to get anywhere near the Scotland squad in recent times. Makes me wonder how much we might get for McGinn.