hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not had a chance at Celtic though, through no fault of his own. He'd be one of the best players in the league if he joined Rangers, Aberdeen or Hearts as well.
    He’s not really had a chance, but there must be a reason for that, whether it’s that he doesn’t do enough in training or what, I’ve no idea. Whatever the reason is, he doesn’t get any game time, so he’s failed there. He was in and out the Dundee team so you could probably say he failed there, as he did at Rotherham, as he did at WBA. All those failures make it hard to justify any sort of significant fee. The only saving grace for Celtic is that he plays like a multi million pound player for us and we want him, so they can ask us for a bit more.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Brilliant logic Callum! Are you Gareth Southgates WC campaign adviser by any chance?
    I’m not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I reckon 1.5 Million, if true, was just testing the water. If Celtic really are interested we'll get a bit more than that, maybe at a stretch 2.5. It depends on how often Celtic scouts were watching him I suppose, he wasn't particularly consistent last season but that's just my opinion.
    Agree, Mc Ginn is a quality player but he needs to show it week in, week out. At Hibs he got away with it, always offering graft and a physical challenge. At Celtic or anywhere else, he will need to up his game.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 03-07-2018 at 08:33 AM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    McGinn moving to Celtic would be a dull, but predictable transfer. Surprised that clubs down south are not coming in with any interest as he has all the attributes to play down there. That may come though, and fingers crossed it does.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He’s not really had a chance, but there must be a reason for that, whether it’s that he doesn’t do enough in training or what, I’ve no idea. Whatever the reason is, he doesn’t get any game time, so he’s failed there. He was in and out the Dundee team so you could probably say he failed there, as he did at Rotherham, as he did at WBA. All those failures make it hard to justify any sort of significant fee. The only saving grace for Celtic is that he plays like a multi million pound player for us and we want him, so they can ask us for a bit more.
    It's more likely that having Brown, Rogic, Armstrong, McGregor and Ntcham competing for his position was the reason for his lack of game time rather than him 'failing', nah?

@Elephant Stone He found himself Failing at Rotherham, and Struggling at Dundee which is probably why he was never getting a look in at Celtic.

There is just something about Hibs that clicks IMO.

I would simply tell Celtic...
    “Do not contact us again regarding this player unless the offer is £5milion or more”

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It's more likely that having Brown, Rogic, Armstrong, McGregor and Ntcham competing for his position was the reason for his lack of game time rather than him 'failing', nah?
    He wasn’t good enough to oust those players and claim a starting place ( or a place on the bench), that’s failure. You join a team in order to play football at the highest level you can. Allan was unable to do that at Celtic. No shame attached, but of course he was going to have to compete against decent players.

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee=legend View Post
    I would simply tell Celtic...
    “Do not contact us again regarding this player unless the offer is £5milion or more”
    Then we lose him in a year for nothing. That's one way to avoid st mirrens clause...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    @Elephant Stone He found himself Failing at Rotherham, and Struggling at Dundee which is probably why he was never getting a look in at Celtic.

There is just something about Hibs that clicks IMO.
    I could be wrong but I think his failing at Dundee had a lot to do with how McCann played him when he did at all? Sure I heard one of his few appearances was at right wing back or something weird so of course that wasn't going to work

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don't see the relevance of him being out of contract in a year.

What good is that to a club if they want him now? If they wait till next year somebody else may have bought him by then or the manager who wants to buy him may have lost his job by then.

A year is as good as a lifetime in football now.

I initially wanted, or hoped to achieve £3m for him, IMO that's a fair and realistic price for him in the current market. When you then take into account i also want a decent sell on %, a player in return and the buying club to sort out St Mirrens cut you're getting a lot closer to the £2m mark and considering it sounds like Celtics starting offer was £1.5m, to me that sounds like we probably aren't that far away.

I'm expecting an exciting day today, if we don't hear anything from Hibs i think we'll be close to agreeing a deal, if Hibs come out and publicly dismiss the bid then the offer will have been miles off what we're after.

So he failed to oust any of them and get any game time. Therefore he was a failure. No shame in it and I’m sure it wasn’t through a lack of effort but he still failed.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 03-07-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    I'm pretty sure they will come back with another offer, this is where we find out if there are other clubs interested in McGinn, Celtc testing the water here with that bid, no other offers come in in for him and Celtc will up that price by a few hundred grand and will probably get the player.
    Yup - we will reject a second and maybe even a third bid. The player wants the move - Hibs know it - and importantly Cellic know it and that we will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I hope Dempster, Lennon and Petrie have enough balls between them to turn down every offer below the true valuation. If they don’t make a realistic offer, which they won’t till the last minute, I hope we get a few good offers from England. If they have to tell McGinn that he’s going nowhere, tough.
    That won't happen. If we get to £2m and SA we will deal.

[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;5450853]
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    no chance.[/QUOTE

Care to say what you guess Hibs will take?

I reckon 2 million will secure his transfer.
    I’ll go for undisclosed. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    Yup - we will reject a second and maybe even a third bid. The player wants the move - Hibs know it - and importantly Cellic know it and that we will sell.

That won't happen. If we get to £2m and SA we will deal.
    As we should Scott Allan in a Hibs strip is a more effective player than SJM.

I think both clubs will be wanting to ensure this doesn't go on for too long. I can see the final deal being around £2 million, Allan perm, and a lad on loan for the season.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    So he failed to oust any of them and get any game time. Therefore he was a failure. No shame in it and I’m sure it wasn’t through a lack of effort but he still failed.
    You said there must be a reason for him failing at Celtic 'whether he doesn't do enough in training or whatever'. The reason is probably that there are much better players there than him competing for his place - and if you don't know about whether he does enough in training then I reckon it's fair to assume that he's not getting a game because there are too many good players there. Not something that will have any bearing on his value as a player to other clubs.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    I think both clubs will be wanting to ensure this doesn't go on for too long. I can see the final deal being around £2 million, Allan perm, and a lad on loan for the season.
    Add in a sell on percentage and that's a deal.

Would prefer him to go down south but there's been rumblings about this deal all summer, so I think it's basically done apart from clubs agreeing the fee.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I'm hopeful Hibs will have offered JM a new contract on a bumper wage (or as much as we can afford), which will push his asking price up. If he were to sign a new 3 year deal or similar then it would a great piece of business for the club.

£2m plus Allan permanent minimum then we can start talking otherwise jog on.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I reckon 1.5 Million, if true, was just testing the water. If Celtic really are interested we'll get a bit more than that, maybe at a stretch 2.5. It depends on how often Celtic scouts were watching him I suppose, he wasn't particularly consistent last season but that's just my opinion.
    Come into the real world. Do you really think Celtic need to send a 'scout' to watch him? Those days are virtually gone. He's played against them often enough to take a view of his ability, not to mention hours of video being available.

It will probably be an undisclosed fee. I'll guess around £1.5m with add ons and Scott Allan, or £2m with add ons and no Scott Allan.

I'm not clear as to why a player (Armstrong)with the same length of contract to go,fewer caps and a poor recent injury record is considered to be worth much more than McGinn.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I'm not clear as to why a player (Armstrong)with the same length of contract to go,fewer caps and a poor recent injury record is considered to be worth much more than McGinn.
    I agree to an extent.

It's the way of the world that bigger clubs attract bigger fees, we benefit from that as much as anyone but the deal for Armstrong has to be the starting point for negotiations and then work back from there.

Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    £2m plus Allan permanent minimum then we can start talking otherwise jog on.
    think this is fair- not delusional and not robbery

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I agree to an extent.

It's the way of the world that bigger clubs attract bigger fees, we benefit from that as much as anyone but the deal for Armstrong has to be the starting point for negotiations and then work back from there.

My thoughts exactly.

£4m + Scott Allan as a bare minimum. Any less, tell Sellik to take a hike!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    £4m + Scott Allan as a bare minimum. Any less, tell Sellik to take a hike!!
    lol ok.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    He would mind staying have no doubt about that.
    He's never once intimated this. He knows he will get the big contract and he looks loves playing for hibs. Don't be too sure he won't be here at the end of the window. Going to be a long transfer window.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Hibby View Post
    think this is fair- not delusional and not robbery
    Plus Celtic buy out the remainder of SA's contract.