hibs.net Messageboard

Page 48 of 80 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2389
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that Lennon is letting Celtic know that if they want McGinn for the qualifiers they’ll need to get everything agreed before tomorrow night.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I really do not know how much Rodgers wants SJM. I think he believes any good players in league they should be buying even if not certain where will play.

I really think they want him for the sake of it tbh. Now we have knocked them back they will not want to look like not getting who they want and will try again even if need him or not.

I wonder if the bids indicate Rodgers has other irons in fire who will require a larger fee and does not want to much of the budget used on SJM as not really sure about him, almost yeah he is OK for about £2m I can justify not playing him every week for that.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 18-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You really think Celtic will spend over £2m for a player that Rogers doesn’t rate just to save face?

That’s wired to the moon mental!

Back in in the real world the grown ups are haggling over a price. Happens in pretty much every transfer everywhere I’d imagine.

I've a feeling that Celtic will make a bid that the club accept prior to tomorrow's game and McGinn won't play or be cup tied for their Champions League qualifiers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You really think Celtic will spend over £2m for a player that Rogers doesn’t rate just to save face?

Back in in the real world the grown ups are haggling over a price. Happens in pretty much every transfer everywhere I’d imagine.
    No I think they will buy a player whom Rodgers thinks is OK but can get away with not playing him at that price.

I know he got injured but I could not see where Johnny Hayes was going to play but they could sign him relatively cheap for them and weaken opposition and for the fee easy enough to bench.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 18-07-2018 at 06:17 PM.

is Kouassie still there?.they paid north of 2milliom for him
    Last edited by Gmack7; 18-07-2018 at 06:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    On bench tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Think Morgan is injured, which might explain why Rodgers isn’t wanting to loan Johnston out right now.
    Yep fair point then

Sorry if this has been posted before, big old thread. Hibs are obviously holding out for tje right deal for SJM, and rightly so, but would he be a first team pick for celtic every week with him being 'scott browns replacement'? Im not doubting he could get into the team, he would breeze it, but would he play alongside brown or not, and if so, would it be a bad move in the sence that he would loose regular game time and that match sharpness? If this was the case then would it be in the interest of both clubs to have a deal go ahead, he becomes a celtic player but remains on loan to us for the season, playing europe and first team football week in week out? Or do you reckon he would get 1st team football every week over in the west?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    No idea. Never heard of him.

Plenty players get signed then barely start at their new club, Rherras for example.

My point is that I doubt any manager at a club buys a player just to save face. Apart from Rangers maybe!

Celtic's procrastination and lowball offers doesn't suggest they'd be distraught if they didn't get John. They have so much money, you could quite easily see them hovering up a player they might be able to sell on for 5 or 6 mill in a year or two (as they did with Armstrong), and at the same time denying Sevco a player who could transform their midfield.

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Togs91 View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted before, big old thread. Hibs are obviously holding out for tje right deal for SJM, and rightly so, but would he be a first team pick for celtic every week with him being 'scott browns replacement'? Im not doubting he could get into the team, he would breeze it, but would he play alongside brown or not, and if so, would it be a bad move in the sence that he would loose regular game time and that match sharpness? If this was the case then would it be in the interest of both clubs to have a deal go ahead, he becomes a celtic player but remains on loan to us for the season, playing europe and first team football week in week out? Or do you reckon he would get 1st team football every week over in the west?
    Personally, I don’t think he gets a game when they’re full strength. Unless they use Brown sparingly or he replaces Rogic every week once he plays his hour. I see it as a way of weakening us at a decent price.

Left by mutual consent!
    No idea. Never heard of him.

Plenty players get signed then barely start at their new club, Rherras for example.

My point is that I doubt any manager at a club buys a player just to save face. Apart from Rangers maybe!
    And they wouldn't be buying him for that one aspect they would be buying him because cheap because weakens opposition gives them other options. They could by SJM 4 or 5x with what they offered and what paid for Edouard.

I'm not convinced that Rodgers rates him as highly on spending a lot on him. My opinion of course.

Nope and nope to answer your questions!

Just wondered why you felt the need to pull folk up on it. No biggy.
    I didn’t feel any need .I asked for info.I supposese there are those that use .net to score points off other users.I’m not one of them.
    Last edited by ancient hibee; 18-07-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_0762 View Post
    Personally, I don’t think he gets a game when they’re full strength. Unless they use Brown sparingly or he replaces Rogic every week once he plays his hour. I see it as a way of weakening us at a decent price.
    They really don't care about weakening us.

Allan unused sub

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    And they wouldn't be buying him for that one aspect they would be buying him because cheap because weakens opposition gives them other options. They could by SJM 4 or 5x with what they offered and what paid for Edouard.

I'm no?t convinced that Rodgers rates him as highly on spending a lot on him. My opinion of course.
    Yes, but Mcginn isn't stupid and you would think he's worked this out.

Is it a good career move?

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Of course they do. We took points off them last season. They didn’t win the league till after the split. They’ve always done it. Cherry pick and pinch anyone that can cause them a problem during the game. Like what they done with Hayes recently, or Armstrong and GMS from United.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post

It's nothing to do with working out he will believe he can play every week and would ask these questions I am sure.

Hard to take for me that one of our best players in recent times cup winning legend is subject and again IMO of a meh type transfer to Celtic.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Col_0762 View Post
    Of course they do. We took points off them last season. They didn’t win the league till after the split. They’ve always done it. Cherry pick and pinch anyone that can cause them a problem during the game. Like what they done with Hayes recently, or Armstrong and GMS from United.
    I don’t think they do. Celtic will buy/ sign other decent SPL players and hope they make an impact. They made a sound choice with Armstrong, from whom they made a tidy bit profit. They are low risk options, McKay-Stevens was a makeweight in the deal, cost very little by their budget standard.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I don’t think they do. Celtic will buy/ sign other decent SPL players and hope they make an impact. They made a sound choice with Armstrong, from whom they made a tidy bit profit. They are low risk options, McKay-Stevens was a makeweight in the deal, cost very little by their budget standard.
    This.

There's a weird paranoia that Celtic are obsessively looking at the club's just below them in some kind of fear.
    At this point Celtic can buy quality players that are way outwith the budget of any other team if they at any point felt threatened.

They know the market here and realise there is good value either for depth of squad, selling on for a profit or makeweights in deals to sign other players in Scotland they think offer value.

I don't like it and the effect (weakening the opposition) is the the same but the idea that they systematically sign players solely to weaken the opposition doesn't really fly for me - they know they'll win the league next season and even Hibs taking say 2 wins and a draw off them in the league won't change that.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    In view of tonight's game, I can't see any breaking news today regarding John's future. The frustrating silence will linger on.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    In view of tonight's game, I can't see any breaking news today regarding John's future. The frustrating silence will linger on.
    I think there's a pretty big chance of a new bid today as Celtic won't want him cup tied for the rest of the qualifiers.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    I think there's a pretty big chance of a new bid today as Celtic won't want him cup tied for the rest of the qualifiers.
    That's was mentioned by Lennon. "At the moment John is playing " comment intimating that may change if a bid matching clubs valuation comes.
    Nice chess move

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Celtc don't need to buy players to weaken the opposition. They're mile's ahead of everyone already.

They buy players who will improve/ maintain their team.

They're not going to pay £2m to us, and £10k a week to John McGinn to weaken us.

McGinn wants a big move and Hibs want to sell. If Celtc offer the highest transfer fee, they're actually financially strengthening us compared to the other interested parties.

Nottingham Forest offered a low amount in January for him, for example. Reports suggested John was disappointed not to get his move then.

That's a bit of a rambling post, but I hope my points are understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Celtc don't need to buy players to weaken the opposition. They're mile's ahead of everyone already.

They buy players who will improve/ maintain their team.

They're not going to pay £2m to us, and £10k a week to John McGinn to weaken us.

McGinn wants a big move and Hibs want to sell. If Celtc offer the highest transfer fee, they're actually financially strengthening us compared to the other interested parties.

Nottingham Forest offered a low amount in January for him, for example. Reports suggested John was disappointed not to get his move then.

That's a bit of a rambling post, but I hope my points are understandable.

They have just lost Armstrong who before his injury was a regular for them and a very good player, John will take his place in the squad and he'll have to be ready not to start every match which he does here. He wanted a move south and was upset nothing more came of the Nottingham F bid in January, he understood it wasn't enough for the club. Obviously after speaking to his friends and family he's decided to stay in Scotland to further his career, he's involved in the Scotland set up so didn't need to move south for that and Celtic will be a good platform for him, unfortunately it means h'll play against us regularly.

Celtic don't buy players to weaken others, it's just they're the only ones up here who can afford to buy them, players see a move west as a good move, regular winning stuff and stay close to family and friends.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    They have just lost Armstrong who before his injury was a regular for them and a very good player, John will take his place in the squad and he'll have to be ready not to start every match which he does here. He wanted a move south and was upset nothing more came of the Nottingham F bid in January, he understood it wasn't enough for the club. Obviously after speaking to his friends and family he's decided to stay in Scotland to further his career, he's involved in the Scotland set up so didn't need to move south for that and Celtic will be a good platform for him, unfortunately it means h'll play against us regularly.

Celtic don't buy players to weaken others, it's just they're the only ones up here who can afford to buy them, players see a move west as a good move, regular winning stuff and stay close to family and friends.
    The fact he will play against us regularly ( if he gets regular games) is not materially significant because Celtic will generally take lots of points off every team in the league so it doesn’t put us at a great disadvantage to other teams. Arguably, his inclusion might spur us on to perform better against them and pick up points where most others are failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The fact he will play against us regularly ( if he gets regular games) is not materially significant because Celtic will generally take lots of points off every team in the league so it doesn’t put us at a great disadvantage to other teams. Arguably, his inclusion might spur us on to perform better against them and pick up points where most others are failing.

I understand that, I just don't want him playing against us as he's been the heartbeat of this team for the past 3 years, I know Celtic are ahead of everyone and we'll be fighting for 2nd-4th spot again, just prefer him to go south that's all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I understand that, I just don't want him playing against us as he's been the heartbeat of this team for the past 3 years, I know Celtic are ahead of everyone and we'll be fighting for 2nd-4th spot again, just prefer him to go south that's all.
    Don’t we all? But we’ll get over it once we get a few good performances and results under our belt.

There will be pressure on Celtic to pay the money as well. Hibs need to hold firm.
    https://thecelticblog.com/2018/07/bl...mpression=true