hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really about comparing the players talents, as much as it should be, but more comparing the money available to the clubs.

7 million to Southampton is probably the equivalent of 1 or 2 million to Celtic. Celtic don't have another 7 million to spend on a player after spending 8 or so on the guy from PSG. They're loaded compared to other Scottish clubs but compared to teams down south they're paupers.
    I think Celtic's board are just one bad Euro result away from a fans backlash though.

£7m in for Armstrong yet seemingly penny pinching over a replacement. It's not a good look.

Saw Ntcham was involved in a car accident last night (though seems like no-one seriously hurt thank goodness).

Hibs are quite right in having a bullish valuation, and in sticking to it. John McGinn is worth more to us than has been bid, and he's worth more to Celtic than has been bid. Just wait til they go 1 down to the opponent in their next round Champions League qualifier...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    I think Celtic's board are just one bad Euro result away from a fans backlash though.

£7m in for Armstrong yet seemingly penny pinching over a replacement. It's not a good look.

Saw Ntcham was involved in a car accident last night (though seems like no-one seriously hurt thank goodness).

Hibs are quite right in having a bullish valuation, and in sticking to it. John McGinn is worth more to us than has been bid, and he's worth more to Celtic than has been bid. Just wait til they go 1 down to the opponent in their next round Champions League qualifier...
    They would need to miss out on 10 in a row before there is any fans backlash I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    An example of the esteem in which they hold McGinn.:

Yeah we should pay the going rate, you're right. The going rate for a player like him given his contract situation is less than £1m though.

Also it's not our concern about their replacements. They have allowed Allen to go and don't seem to be interested in bringing him back, at least not on a full contract. Mcgeogh, who everyone thinks was their best player last year was also allowed to walk away for nothing. They are taking the piss with McGinn here because they didn't plan very well. That's their problem, not ours.

If the reports are true about the figures we've already offered (£1.75m allegedly) then we've already went way too high. Our next bid should be half of that and show them that we won't be held to ransom for their folly

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

Yeah we should pay the going rate, you're right. The going rate for a player like him given his contract situation is less than £1m though.

Also it's not our concern about their replacements. They have allowed Allen to go and don't seem to be interested in bringing him back, at least not on a full contract. Mcgeogh, who everyone thinks was their best player last year was also allowed to walk away for nothing. They are taking the piss with McGinn here because they didn't plan very well. That's their problem, not ours.

If the reports are true about the figures we've already offered (£1.75m allegedly) then we've already went way too high. Our next bid should be half of that and show them that we won't be held to ransom for their folly
    Celtc fan discusses the law of supply and demand. Bless.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    There should be a rule, no more than 3 bids for the same player from a single club in the same transfer window

That would cut out a lot of this low balling pittance bidding nonsense

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

I absolutely hate Celtc fans. The majority of them like to pretend they are a better kind of person than the average hun but they are all the same. Absolute ****s.

The english transfer window shuts on 9th August SJM is a valuable asset to club, I trust the tache and LD to tell celtic to gtf with their time-wasting bids.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    You did say we'd be lucky to get £1m for him, well the latest bid in nearer £2m, maybe you'd better start on some press ups to build your strength up?
    I look forward to hearing how much we get for him.

That is the impression they have. That they are doing us a favour by stripping us of our best players for whatever money they see fit to give us. That we should be grateful to get anything at all. I doubt the Celtic hierarchy view us much differently. They are too used to dealing with selling clubs who need to short sell their assets just to survive.

These attitudes wont change because most Scottish clubs wont stand up to them. I want hibs to be more concerned with putting a good team on the park than snatching at a low offer. Keeping McGinn for the season would be helping to do just that. If Celtic want to wait a year then make them wait.

Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    Do you think Armstrong was as good then as McGinn
    Is now ? Not sure he was. It really should be about ability and potential
    and not dictated by who you play for
    - for that reason I think
    Armstrong to Southampton is a decent comparison- would even say
    McGinn is better and had unique qualities.
    While I agree with the sentiment we all know that it's massively about who you play for.

The same player will be worth less for Hibs as the selling club than he would being sold by Celtic and similarly less being sold by Celtic than they would being sold by most EPL clubs. It's a nearly insoluble problem too realistically speaking. You'd have to have all players independently valued and there is no way the big clubs agree to that just as there's no way they'd agree to all the actual Champions in Europe qualifying for the group stages of the CL ahead of the clubs who finished 2nd and 3rd in the EPL for example.

Everything that happens in football is money, power and influence rather than having anything to do with fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    There should be a rule, no more than 3 bids for the same player from a single club in the same transfer window

That would cut out a lot of this low balling pittance bidding nonsense
    Easily countered.

Email: "If we were to offer £xxx, what do you think?"

Plan B?

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Interesting point.

Is the board, who've rightly received a lot of praise since 2014, due any scrutiny over allowing the club to lose arguably their two most saleable assets in McGeough for free and possibly McGinn if he signs a pre-contract in January?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Interesting point.

Is the board, who've rightly received a lot of praise since 2014, due any scrutiny over allowing the club to lose arguably their two most saleable assets in McGeough for free and possibly McGinn if he signs a pre-contract in January?
    Absolutely not. Until this season just finished Dylan had a horrendous injury record and nothing could have previously justified a long term contract. McGinn has been destined for bigger things for a while - he knew it so why would he sign a revised long term contract?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Interesting point.

I think the best way to look at it is from a football achievement point of view rather than financial. Without McGeough and Mcginn we might not have won the Scottish Cup, get promoted to the premiership, finish 3rd, get to a league cup semi final and a Scottish Cup semi final. Yes I agree it would be nice to get some sort of reward financially in terms of a sale but the change these players have brought to the development of our club has increased season tickets to a record sale so I think we should be more grateful to the board for bringing in thrse types of players rather than have a go at them for not selling.

That’s just my opinion 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I think the best way to look at it is from a football achievement point of view rather than financial. Without McGeough and Mcginn we might not have won the Scottish Cup, get promoted to the premiership, finish 3rd, get to a league cup semi final and a Scottish Cup semi final. Yes I agree it would be nice to get some sort of reward financially in terms of a sale but the change these players have brought to the development of our club has increased season tickets to a record sale so I think we should be more grateful to the board for bringing in thrse types of players rather than have a go at them for not selling.

That’s just my opinion 👍
    Erm we finished 4th

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Erm we finished 4th
    ...pedantry alert. OK, he got the league position wrong by one place, but he also made a number of interesting points which it might be more interesting to talk about instead no?

Erm we finished 4th
    Nit picking, his point remains and it's a good one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Erm we finished 4th
    My mistake. Finished 4th but challenged for 2nd place up until the 2nd last game of the season against two teams with much larger budgets 👍

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Not involved at all tonight. Goodbye SJM!

No other reason why he would be left out, unlikely to be injured. All the best SJM, great memories.

Guessing Celtic have said we will offer this but he can’t be cup tied

Sky sports news Celtic bid for McGinn turned down

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    Guessing Celtic have said we will offer this but he can’t be cup tied

He would not be cup tied!

Last edited by Aldo; 12-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Hope if there’s any evidence of them tapping SJM up, which sounds like there definitely has been, that we report them.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees3_Sevco2 View Post
    Hope if there’s any evidence of them tapping SJM up, which sounds like there definitely has been, that we report them.
    😂😂😂 care to share the evidence.

Blog Entries
    For a club that said they wouldn’t be putting in a third bid and a support who apparently don’t rate McGinn, they are wetting themselves at this news. I know we don’t know any details,and we never will, but I’m willing to guess we’ve been hard-balled.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    ...pedantry alert. OK, he got the league position wrong by one place, but he also made a number of interesting points which it might be more interesting to talk about instead no?
    Yes the board have done well but the standard achieved must be maintained & improved.

For a club that said they wouldn’t be putting in a third bid and a support who apparently don’t rate McGinn, they are wetting themselves at this news. I know we don’t know any details,and we never will, but I’m willing to guess we’ve been hard-balled.
    I thought it was his thigh.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm wondering if a club other than Celtic have come in for him today.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Saw a rumour on social media (yes I know but here it is anyway)

McGinn to Celtic for an undisclosed fee with Allan to hibs and Bitton on loan

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Saw a rumour on social media (yes I know but here it is anyway)

McGinn to Celtic for an undisclosed fee with Allan to hibs and Bitton on loan
    Also saw that. Slight flaw however Bitton is injured and not expected to return to training until Sept!