hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2018

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure if they were annoyed enough about it then they would make their feelings known.

In today's world of social media, they have plenty of opportunities to get their views out to the public domain.

Serena Williams in particular is never backward in coming forward so if it's as big a problem to her as it is to you then I'm sure we'll know soon enough.
    Hope so! But as I keep trying to explain, it's not just about the players. Particularly, it's about the message this gives to young girls. "You'll need to wait, the men are still playing" etc etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Sorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

I truly hope the question is asked. But even if someone does ask the question, can we be sure that the players would answer it fully and honestly?

In the meantime, can you explain to my 9 year old daughter why she's had to wait an extra 2 and a bit hours to see the premier women's tennis match in the world which is played at 2pm on Saturday every year except this one?

Surely you can explain it yourself to your nine year old daughter as you are fully aware of the reasons why she has had to wait. Whether you agree with it is immaterial.

Sorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

I truly hope the question is asked. But even if someone does ask the question, can we be sure that the players would answer it fully and honestly?

In the meantime, can you explain to my 9 year old daughter why she's had to wait an extra 2 and a bit hours to see the premier women's tennis match in the world which is played at 2pm on Saturday every year except this one?

Your 9 year old daughter surely can't be getting worked up about the women's final starting at 4pm instead of 2pm?

It's not as if it's starting at some ungodly hour that means she can't stay up and watch it.

Your 9 year old daughter surely can't be getting worked up about the women's final starting at 4pm instead of 2pm?

It's not as if it's starting at some ungodly hour that means she can't stay up and watch it.
    She's pissed off about the inequality, not her bed time!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Surely you can explain it yourself to your nine year old daughter as you are fully aware of the reasons why she has had to wait. Whether you agree with it is immaterial.
    Lol, nice one! I already have. I'm trying to make a point but you go ahead and take me literally, as if you didn't know better, you cheeky scamp!

Anyway folks, it's been a blast, and clearly I'm on my own here, so I'll retreat gracefully and watch the game with my family.

All the best!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Anyway folks, it's been a blast, and clearly I'm on my own here, so I'll retreat gracefully and watch the game with my family.

All the best!

Enjoy the game, I still think the women should be made to play 5 sets though

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Yes, you! Because she's quite pissed off about it and you seem to think that it's only the players that matter here!

You've misquoted or misunderstood me.

Again. I have no opinion on the scheduling, and won't have until I hear what the most important and most affected people think.

I'm good with kids, though, if it takes the heat off you.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    She's pissed off about the inequality, not her bed time!

There is no inequality. The finals (mens/womens/singles/doubles) all depend on the preceding matches being played in line with the original schedule. That hasn't happened so there has been a delay.

What are you not getting about that?

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar

Tell her the truth. All the money, sponsorship etc is in the men's game therefore it's going to be pushed and prioritised more, is it right, probably not but I can see why it happens, could also tell her that the bonus is that because of all this the ladies get the same prize money as the men for playing less time

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    There is no inequality. The finals (mens/womens/singles/doubles) all depend on the preceding matches being played in line with the original schedule. That hasn't happened so there has been a delay.

What are you not getting about that?
    Ok. Good first set. So time for a couple of responses. What I don't get is that the organisers had a decision to make: inconvenience the men or inconvenience the women. And they chose to inconvenience the women's final before the men's semi.

That's all. I know you don't agree, and that's your prerogative. Thanks for the chat though!

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    You've misquoted or misunderstood me.

Again. I have no opinion on the scheduling, and won't have until I hear what the most important and most affected people think.

I'm good with kids, though, if it takes the heat off you.
    Sorry. Looks like I misunderstood you. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Tell her the truth. All the money, sponsorship etc is in the men's game therefore it's going to be pushed and prioritised more, is it right, probably not but I can see why it happens, could also tell her that the bonus is that because of all this the ladies get the same prize money as the men for playing less time
    I see where you're going with this, so I'll not bite. Thanks for the opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Enjoy the game, I still think the women should be made to play 5 sets though
    Living up to your 'cheeky scamp' label I see!

Ok. Good first set. So time for a couple of responses. What I don't get is that the organisers had a decision to make: inconvenience the men or inconvenience the women. And they chose to inconvenience the women's final before the men's semi.

That's all. I know you don't agree, and that's your prerogative. Thanks for the chat though!

In what way are the women inconvenienced?

In what way are the women inconvenienced?
    Och, come on! I'm done here, I have no time for daft laddie questions like that! Enjoy the rest of your day.

Och, come on! I'm done here, I have no time for daft laddie questions like that! Enjoy the rest of your day.

Fair enough.

4pm start or 2pm start. I'm genuinely not seeing the inconvenience.

Fair enough.

4pm start or 2pm start. I'm genuinely not seeing the inconvenience.
    Sigh.

1pm definite start for the men's semi.

Maybe 2pm, maybe 2.30pm, maybe 3pm, maybe 3.30pm, maybe 4pm, maybe 4.30pm, maybe 5pm etc etc start for the women. And they'll not know till 20 minutes before.

Slightly different, no?

Surely the same could have happened in reverse, if one of the women’s semi finals had run as long as the Anderson/Isner semi final had, and one of the men’s semis could have been similarly delayed for a few hours?

also, whilst I take your point, is your daughter similarly pissed off that she doesn’t get the opportunity to watch as much women’s tennis at Wimbledon as men’s, since they only play to 3 sets? Since you’re banging the inequality drum.
    Theres also the argument that the men are more often the ones delayed because of rain, where the men’s final is bumped to the Monday so the women’s final is played on the Sunday, therefore forcing boys to wait to watch their heroes, no?

i see your point, I just think you’re taking it a bit too far, for the sake of a couple of hours. It’s not sexist, it’s just logistics.
    Last edited by McD; 15-07-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Surely the same could have happened in reverse, if one of the women’s semi finals had run as long as the Anderson/Isner semi final had, and one of the men’s semis could have been similarly delayed for a few hours?

also, whilst I take your point, is your daughter similarly pissed off that she doesn’t get the opportunity to watch as much women’s tennis at Wimbledon as men’s, since they only play to 3 sets? Since you’re banging the inequality drum.
    Theres also the argument that the men are more often the ones delayed because of rain, where the men’s final is bumped to the Monday so the women’s final is played on the Sunday, therefore forcing boys to wait to watch their heroes, no?

i see your point, I just think you’re taking it a bit too far, for the sake of a couple of hours. It’s not sexist, it’s just logistics.
    Correct.

If Wimbledon (and the other Grand Slams) are going to be accused of sexism then it's against the men, due to your point I've put in bold.

Oh dear. Not the best start for neutrals wanting a decent two hour match to take us up to the France Croatia game. This could be over quickly...

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    ah well, it's all over bar the shouting

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Oh dear. Not the best start for neutrals wanting a decent two hour match to take us up to the France Croatia game. This could be over quickly...
    Think you could be right , Anderson looks like he's beaten already in his own head

hit the red button to watch tseng v draper, at one set each at least it's a contest

William and Kate couldn't be sitting further away from each other, looking like someone's taken a ***** in Kate handbag. Cheer up ffs you've got the best view in the house.

What a total anti climax this is proving to be.

Wimbledon men's final day is one of my favourites days of the year so this is a massive letdown.

Similar to last year's slaughtering that Roger Federer gave Marin Cilic.

martina navratilova starting in the invitational pairs final...61 years of age..respect

Left by mutual consent!
    What a total anti climax this is proving to be.

Wimbledon men's final day is one of my favourites days of the year so this is a massive letdown.

Similar to last year's slaughtering that Roger Federer gave Marin Cilic.
    The final was always going to be a bit of a non event once Federer went out. The winner of the Nadal Djokovic semi was going to be a shoe-in for the title.

Can't effing stand Djokovic so not bothering to watch it but will tune in for the mixed doubles final later which hopefully Jamie Murray can win for a third time.

Living up to your 'cheeky scamp' label I see!

I think SH is correct. Not posted by a cheeky scamp either.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I think SH is correct. Not posted by a cheeky scamp either.
    ...aaand we're off again!

I take your point. And I wouldn't dare call you a cheeky scamp. (Not to your face anyway.)

Some interesting points have emerged since I last posted:

1. Both Serena and Kerber have cited the delay of their final as the 'only option' or the 'right thing to do' - Kerber even went so far as to say the men would need rest before 'the biggest final' - Way to go, Angelique, Girl Power! So CWG, you have your answer, and no doubt that's case closed for you. But do sporting superstars always say exactly what they mean to the press?

2. Kim Clijsters on Twitter stated that the men were given the choice as to whether they wanted to play before or after the Ladies' Final. I find that... interesting.

3. Last one for now, apparently the players were also consulted on whether to play with the roof closed or open on Saturday. Apparently Djokovic insisted that it should stay closed. Nadal was asked by a journo whether he agreed with the decision, to which he replied, "No, but I'm not going to talk about it because you will write about it." So SDG, apparently the roof issue is not as clear cut as you thought. Also lends a little more weight to my last sentence in point 1 above.