hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2018

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To ensure that the playing conditions are the same throughout the entire match. Once a match starts with the roof closed, or it closes during the course of a match due to rain or bad light, they don't usually open it again until the end of the match.
    ...and yet they will close it during a match if it rains. Sounds like a daft rule to me. It's a different day FFS!!! They can't guarantee the conditions would be the same if the roof had stayed open.

Anyway, I sense a bit of diversion. Bottom line is someone had to be inconvenienced by the Anderson game, and surprise surprise, it's the women.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    ...and yet they will close it during a match if it rains. Sounds like a daft rule to me. It's a different day FFS!!! They can't guarantee the conditions would be the same if the roof had stayed open.

Anyway, I sense a bit of diversion. Bottom line is someone had to be inconvenienced by the Anderson game, and surprise surprise, it's the women.

How would you have done the scheduling any differently, with the way things panned out yesterday?

How would you have done the scheduling any differently, with the way things panned out yesterday?
    I would have put the men's semi final on court 1, therefore allowing the showpiece of the women's game to carry on as scheduled.

I would have put the men's semi final on court 1, therefore allowing the showpiece of the women's game to carry on as scheduled.

I've already explained that wasn't an option though due to the Nadal-Djokovic match having to be played under the roof.

How would you have scheduled things under the rules of the roof policy?

Does it really matter? The womens final will still be played at primetime on Saturday in front of exactly the same crowd for exactly the same prize money. So they have to start an hour or 90 minutes later due to unforseen circumstances. Big deal, they would have had to do that if it started to rain as they were warming up.

Anyway Nadal and Djokovic putting on a bit of a show here. Fans getting 1 and a half great matches for their money rather than just 1.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I've already explained that wasn't an option though due to the Nadal-Djokovic match having to be played under the roof.

How would you have scheduled things under the rules of the roof policy?
    Who made the daft roof policy? Who is responsible for the scheduling? The same people surely?

I repeat what I said before. I would have applied 'common sense' (as you put it) and changed the roof policy for one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Does it really matter? The womens final will still be played at primetime on Saturday in front of exactly the same crowd for exactly the same prize money. So they have to start an hour or 90 minutes later due to unforseen circumstances. Big deal, they would have had to do that if it started to rain as they were warming up.

Anyway Nadal and Djokovic putting on a bit of a show here. Fans getting 1 and a half great matches for their money rather than just 1.
    Clearly plenty people don't think it matters. I personally think it sends out a message that women are second class citizens at least in the tennis world.

Some people may call it 'common sense', I call it casual misogyny at best.

Enjoy the tennis everyone!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Clearly plenty people don't think it matters. I personally think it sends out a message that women are second class citizens at least in the tennis world.

Why? I've seen nobody else mention this other than you.

By the way (roof policy aside), if Djokovic v Nadal was played at the same time as the women's final you'd have people complaining that it undermines the women's final as many people would opt to watch that instead.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

What do the (female) players think? That is more important, Shirley, than a bunch of guys debating it online?

If they are okay with it, so should we be.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    What do the (female) players think? That is more important, Shirley, than a bunch of guys debating it online?

If they are okay with it, so should we be.
    What about my 9 year old daughter? Does she not get a say? There seem to be plenty women on twitter with the same opinion as me.

What about my 9 year old daughter? Does she not get a say? There seem to be plenty women on twitter with the same opinion as me.

But what about the people most directly affected? The players.

I have no opinion on this, at least until I know how they feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Why? I've seen nobody else mention this other than you.

By the way (roof policy aside), if Djokovic v Nadal was played at the same time as the women's final you'd have people complaining that it undermines the women's final as many people would opt to watch that instead.
    If you want to take this thread as an indication of the general population, I make it about 80-20 in your favour. I would consider 20% to be a small but significant minority!

But what about the people most directly affected? The players.

I have no opinion on this, at least until I know how they feel.
    It's not just about the players, it's about more than that and I expect you are patently aware of that fact!

It's not just about the players, it's about more than that and I expect you are patently aware of that fact!

I am, but I'd like to know how they feel before I come to my opinion. They are the most important people in this.

Again.... what are their thoughts?

I am, but I'd like to know how they feel before I come to my opinion. They are the most important people in this.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to ask them as I'm not allowed in the female locker room! I'm surprised you thought I might know.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to ask them as I'm not allowed in the female locker room! I'm surprised you thought I might know.

If it were an issue to them, I would've thought there would have been something in the media to that effect. I get that they won't be shouting off to the press in advance of the match, but I'll be interested to see tomorrow whether there is anything.

If there isn't, I'll guess that it's no big deal to them.

If Angelique Kerber and Serena Williams aren't bothered then I don't see why anyone else should be.

As someone else has already said, to anyone who has an interest in the women's game, this arrangement should be preferable to McS****y's suggestion of putting Nadal-Djokovic on No 1 court and playing at the same time as the ladies final.

At least this way they are not competing for viewing figures and they're getting their special day all to themselves.

If it were an issue to them, I would've thought there would have been something in the media to that effect. I get that they won't be shouting off to the press in advance of the match, but I'll be interested to see tomorrow whether there is anything.

If there isn't, I'll guess that it's no big deal to them.
    Tomorrow I would guess the winner will say nothing as they... well... won. And the loser will say nothing as it may look like sour grapes. So I guess we'll never know what their thoughts are. I hope they do talk about it tomorrow though. And I hope the journalists at least ask the question.

If Angelique Kerber and Serena Williams aren't bothered then I don't see why anyone else should be.

As someone else has already said, to anyone who has an interest in the women's game, this arrangement should be preferable to McS****y's suggestion of putting Nadal-Djokovic on No 1 court and playing at the same time as the ladies final.

At least this way they are not competing for viewing figures and they're getting their special day all to themselves.
    If we're talking about the players, I guess their 'special day' is more about the occasion and atmosphere on Centre Court than how many people are watching on TV.

But hey ho, you all have your opinions and I have mine. Meanwhile Djokovic and Nadal continue to fight it out while Williams and Kerber try to stay warmed up and focused....

This is the first tennis I've seen in this year's Wimbledon.

I don't tend to watch it much when Andy Murray isn't playing, but this is one of the best matches I've ever seen.

Not sure what the ladies finalists will be thinking, but I'm sure the fans who are getting to witness this as well as the final that follows will be happy enough.

Some match!

Djokovic wins 10-8 in the final set.

Brilliant stuff.

Just had a quick Google whilst waiting for the game to start...

How does "6 time doubles grand slam winner Reannae Stubbs" grab you for a player's point of view?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...161.html%3famp

Just had a quick Google whilst waiting for the game to start...

How does "6 time doubles grand slam winner Reannae Stubbs" grab you for a player's point of view?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...161.html%3famp

It's an opinion, but it doesn't answer my question.

It's an opinion, but it doesn't answer my question.
    Fair play. You want to keep it ultra specific so the question can't be answered. No bother!

Fair play. You want to keep it ultra specific so the question can't be answered. No bother!

Of course it can be answered. It just needs someone to ask them. Them

Of course it can be answered. It just needs someone to ask them. Them
    Sorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

I truly hope the question is asked. But even if someone does ask the question, can we be sure that the players would answer it fully and honestly?

In the meantime, can you explain to my 9 year old daughter why she's had to wait an extra 2 and a bit hours to see the premier women's tennis match in the world which is played at 2pm on Saturday every year except this one?

Sorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

I truly hope the question is asked. But even if someone does ask the question, can we be sure that the players would answer it fully and honestly?

In the meantime, can you explain to my 9 year old daughter why she's had to wait an extra 2 and a bit hours to see the premier women's tennis match in the world which is played at 2pm on Saturday every year except this one?

Me?

I'm sure if they were annoyed enough about it then they would make their feelings known.

In today's world of social media, they have plenty of opportunities to get their views out to the public domain.

Serena Williams in particular is never backward in coming forward so if it's as big a problem to her as it is to you then I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

Me?
    Yes, you! Because she's quite pissed off about it and you seem to think that it's only the players that matter here!