hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2018

Wimbledon 2018

A wee break from the 100% football fix we've all had over the last 2 weeks. Wimbledon 2018 starts today and although Andy Murray will sadly not be taking part, it will hopefully be another enjoyable tournament at SW19.

Personally can't see past Roger Federer adding to his tally of Grand Slam titles although perhaps his shock defeat in the final of Halle a week ago may just have cast some doubt in his mind?

He opens up play on Centre Court today at 1pm against Dusan Lajovic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Watching Federer just now. The man is the definition of class

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Federer just now. The man is the definition of class
    He swatted Lacko aside today in fine style. Gets better and better.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Federer beaten

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Could be here all night with this one.

This is brilliant, anyone else watching?

After 5 and a half hours it's currently 15-15 in the deciding set.

Still Nadal v Djokovic to come too!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    17-18 now.

Mental stuff
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Absolutely crazy. Six hours on court and still no end in sight. Be better telling Rafa and Novac to come back tomorrow and play the final on Monday.

21-21

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Absolutely crazy. Six hours on court and still no end in sight. Be better telling Rafa and Novac to come back tomorrow and play the final on Monday.
    I'm pretty certain that's going to happen.

It's highly unlikely that their match is going to get finished tonight even if Anderson-Isner finishes just now. They'll also need to close the roof which takes about 40 minutes to get the air conditioning etc sorted. So it's probably going to be around 8:30 at the earliest before they get started.

I think they'll play them tomorrow before the ladies final and then play the men's final on Monday.

Anderson breaks to go 25-24 up and he'll serve for the match.

Anderson wins 7-6 6-7 6-7 6-4 26-24

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    guid scottish surname in the final anyways...who was that blonde in his trainers camp box thingy ? she is abserrrlutely gawjuz

waiting on Nadal for a sweet double ££

To put it into some context that was the 4th longest tennis match of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    To put it into some context that was the 4th longest tennis match of all time.
    Or four football matches. Plus the spectators can't be getting up every fifteen minutes or so for a pee or a pie. Maybe even both.

Here we go. Three hours for Rafa and Novac to play before the final whistle is blown at 11pm.

Some match so far between Nadal and Djokovic some of the shots have been unreal.

One set all just now and almost certain that they'll have to come back tomorrow as they only have an hour left to play tonight.

Great tennis today although the first semi final went on far too long. Maybe in the fifth set they could start a tie-break at 12 games each or something.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Great tennis today although the first semi final went on far too long. Maybe in the fifth set they could start a tie-break at 12 games each or something.
    I can see an argument for and against it to be honest. From a spectator/fan point of view I quite like the drama and excitement that no tiebreak in the final set brings.

However I can understand why the players might want a change. Playing a match for that length of time would really harm your chances of progressing any further. Having a tiebreak situation prevents it going too far.

Having two big servers like Anderson and Isner playing against each other is always going to throw up the possibility of that happening.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Wimbledon showing their true colours again by potentially delaying the women's final so the men's semi final can be played to a conclusion at a nice time on Centre Court. Terrible decision IMO.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Wimbledon showing their true colours again by potentially delaying the women's final so the men's semi final can be played to a conclusion at a nice time on Centre Court. Terrible decision IMO.

Nadal vs Novak is the far bigger match, correct call.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Nadal vs Novak is the far bigger match, correct call.
    I take it you don't have any daughters...

Regardless of what is the 'bigger match', it makes sense to play the semi first to give them as much rest as possible before Sunday's final.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Regardless of what is the 'bigger match', it makes sense to play the semi first to give them as much rest as possible before Sunday's final.
    They have another court...

They have another court...

Why make the fans choose which game to watch?

Start the mens at say 1, women's at 4. Fans get a full day of entertainment and everyone gets their games played at a reasonable time.

Honestly don't see the problem and would expect the same if it was the women's semi that needed finished today.
    Last edited by Speedy; 14-07-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Why make the fans choose which game to watch?

Start the mens at say 1, women's at 4. Fans get a full day of entertainment and everyone gets their games played at a seasonable time.

Honestly don't see the problem and would expect the same if it was the women's semi that needed finished today.
    Fair enough, you can argue that this is the practical solution, but it's the women's final of Wimbledon. It's always at 2pm on the Saturday. It's arguably the biggest game in the women's tennis calendar. And it's been bumped by the men's SEMI final.

The two participants of the biggest game they can possibly be involved in don't even know when they're going to start.

What sort of message does that give young female tennis players/fans? "Yeah, you're important, just not quite as important as the men, ok?"

It's about more than 'the fans' or mere practicalities IMO.

Fair enough, you can argue that this is the practical solution, but it's the women's final of Wimbledon. It's always at 2pm on the Saturday. It's arguably the biggest game in the women's tennis calendar. And it's been bumped by the men's SEMI final.

The two participants of the biggest game they can possibly be involved in don't even know when they're going to start.

What sort of message does that give young female tennis players/fans? "Yeah, you're important, just not quite as important as the men, ok?"

It's about more than 'the fans' or mere practicalities IMO.

And if the women's final went to 64-62 in the final set and dragged on to the Sunday then the men's final would be 'bumped'.

And if the women's final went to 64-62 in the final set and dragged on to the Sunday then the men's final would be 'bumped'.
    That's pure hypothesis, and also not comparing apples with apples though, is it?

Firstly, I could equally as easily predict that in that scenario they would put the women on court 1 to finish their match on Sunday.

Secondly, that would be a final bumping a final. Not a semi.

What's their "true colours"?

If Nadal-Djokovic have a similar length of match to Anderson-Isner yesterday, they potentially have another 4 hours of tennis to play. You might say that's unlikely but it's possible and they need to get them off the court as early as possible to give the winner as much rest as possible ahead of the final tomorrow.

As for them playing on No 1 court, they can't do that. As I understand it, a decision has been taken to finish the match today with the roof closed, just like it was last night. Because Centre Court is currently the only court at Wimbledon which has a roof, that's the only court they can play on.

There's nothing sexist or underhand going on here. It's just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    What's their "true colours"?

If Nadal-Djokovic have a similar length of match to Anderson-Isner yesterday, they potentially have another 4 hours of tennis to play. You might say that's unlikely but it's possible and they need to get them off the court as early as possible to give the winner as much rest as possible ahead of the final tomorrow.

As for them playing on No 1 court, they can't do that. As I understand it, a decision has been taken to finish the match today with the roof closed, just like it was last night. Because Centre Court is currently the only court at Wimbledon which has a roof, that's the only court they can play on.

There's nothing sexist or underhand going on here. It's just common sense.
    Interesting. Why do they need to close the roof today? It's blistering sunshine! If that's common sense, I'm a Hearts fan!

Interesting. Why do they need to close the roof today? It's blistering sunshine! If that's common sense, I'm a Hearts fan!

To ensure that the playing conditions are the same throughout the entire match. Once a match starts with the roof closed, or it closes during the course of a match due to rain or bad light, they don't usually open it again until the end of the match.