hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Tips

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't overcook the fillet. It takes less time than one might think.

Also, serve it very slightly pink, just a mere blush! Chef speak lol
    All good thanks. Having had a chilli last night I will go for a less spicy dish today

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm not teaching anyone's granny how to suck eggs here, but left over roast pork is the dug's baws for a quick stir fry (as I did this lunchtime).

I cut up the pork and coated it with some spicy sauce stuff that we had in a bottle in the fridge.

Fried some finely chopped garlic & ginger in the wok, added the pork, then 3 eggs, then Chinese noodles, soy sauce and 3-4 tomatoes chopped into segments for the final few seconds.

Simple, fast and 4 plates scraped clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'm not teaching anyone's granny how to suck eggs here, but left over roast pork is the dug's baws for a quick stir fry (as I did this lunchtime).

I cut up the pork and coated it with some spicy sauce stuff that we had in a bottle in the fridge.

Fried some finely chopped garlic & ginger in the wok, added the pork, then 3 eggs, then Chinese noodles, soy sauce and 3-4 tomatoes chopped into segments for the final few seconds.

Simple, fast and 4 plates scraped clean.
    Ginger is a brilliant thing to cook with, pork especially but always have some in my freezer

I have stuffed the pork with apple and pine nuts (why are they so expensive?) In a cider sauce. On very low heat and will make roasties and parsnips later this evening. Hopefully a good meal. Some leftovers for work sandwiches as well

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I have stuffed the pork with apple and pine nuts (why are they so expensive?) In a cider sauce. On very low heat and will make roasties and parsnips later this evening. Hopefully a good meal. Some leftovers for work sandwiches as well

Pine cones grow on tall trees that needs expensive equipment to harvest.

Some are still harvested by men on ladders. Each cone must be opened and the nut extracted by hand.

It is very labour intensive, making the pine forests extremely valuables farms or estates which are highly prized.

I saw a programme on this recently...

Pine cones grow on tall trees that needs expensive equipment to harvest.

Some are still harvested by men on ladders. Each cone must be opened and the nut extracted by hand.

It is very labour intensive, making the pine forests extremely valuables farms or estates which are highly prized.

I saw a programme on this recently...
    Thanks for that, I love them but they are so expensive. Now I know why

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Iíve been in the mood for an ace Rueben sandwich so Iím currently brining a brisket to make salt beef. In a large pot boil water, your body weight in salt, a third of your body weight in brown sugar, ginger, whole peppercorns, coriander seeds, juniper berries if you have and a couple of dried birds eye chilliest. Once the salt and sugar is dissolved, cool.

Put your brisket in and ensure itís totally covered. Weigh it down, cover and leave in a very cool place for 4-5 days. If your fridge is big enough, even better.

Remove your brined brisket and simmer for 4-6 hours with carrot, celery, onion and garlic.

Cool, shred and serve.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 04-11-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Making chilli - grate a square of dark chocolate, darkest as possible, using the finest side of a box grater, into it, towards the end. Adds a whole new level to the flavour.
    As does a teaspoon full of Marmite

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    As does a teaspoon full of Marmite
    Love Marmite, never thought of adding it to chilli (though it bumps up many other dishes)

Cheers
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

A question,,,,,,, scrambled eggs, such a simple thing BUT so many variations. I use milk (or cream if I have some) and add it to the egg mix but know people who absolutely will not. I also sometimes put a chilli, garlic and onion in the mix. Thoughts and suggestions please. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is my favourite breakfast but only at weekends because of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Love Marmite, never thought of adding it to chilli (though it bumps up many other dishes)

Cheers
    Also love marmite but have never used it in cooking, I will try it though

A question,,,,,,, scrambled eggs, such a simple thing BUT so many variations. I use milk (or cream if I have some) and add it to the egg mix but know people who absolutely will not. I also sometimes put a chilli, garlic and onion in the mix. Thoughts and suggestions please. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is my favourite breakfast but only at weekends because of time.
    I never add milk to scrambled eggs or omelettes, I always think it makes them watery,(not sure that's even a word now I've wrote it) personally I add some grated cheese, some ham and spinach to mine.

This will probably be my sole contribution to this thread as my cooking skills pale in comparison to some one here.

I read something recently where several top chefs (like really top chefs. Michelin stars galore) were asked how to make scrambled eggs.

Utter chaos, some insisted the eggs were at room temp, some were happy with fridge temp. Some added milk or cream, some thought milk or cream was sacrilege. Some seasoned at the start, some thought you can only season at the end.

Up to you to find what tastes best for you but my personal opinion is there are some absolutes.

Room temp for the eggsif you can or remember.

Gentle stirring constantly is an absolute, otherwise you edge into getting an omelette. Seasoning added at the end.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    I never add milk to scrambled eggs or omelettes, I always think it makes them watery,(not sure that's even a word now I've wrote it) personally I add some grated cheese, some ham and spinach to mine.

This will probably be my sole contribution to this thread as my cooking skills pale in comparison to some one here.
    I hope you don't stop posting, regardless of what you think your cooking skills are!

We all learn from sharing stuff, sometimes it is little tweaks, sometimes we learn gamechangers from one another and we all have triumphs and disasters in the kitchen!

We made a chicken and leek pie today. Delicious, and surprisingly simple to make.

Chicken chopped into decent sized chunks fried with sliced large leek, 1 large onion diced, and 4 rashers of bacon diced. Fry chicken and bacon for 5-7 in tablespoon of butter and 1 of oil, add leek n onion, cook until soft. Sieve 2 tablespoons of flower over the top, and pour in 1 veg stockcube dissolved in a cup of boiling water. Stir fast when doing that bit. Add half a cup of water to thicken and then add a hit salt n pepper. Put into an decent sized ovenproof dish and put shop bough puff pastry on the top. Wash with a beaten egg. Oven, middle shelf at 200 for 25-30.

Had it with boiled tatties and veg. Very tasty and first t in we had made it. Gonna add mustard next time.

Interested to hear if anyone else has decent pie recipes.
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 04-11-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Stiff or runny? There's another debate!

Favourite crossword clue;

geg (anag 9, 3)

scrambled egg!
    Space to let

A small amount of milk in with the egg mix, season before starting.

Add to melting butter and stir constantly.

Scrambled egg and smoked salmon on a bagel is best (plenty of butter on the toasted bagel, a squirt of lemon on the salmon.)

Edit - I should add that I only add milk because that's the way my mum does it and she taught me. My other half thinks it is sacrilege to put milk in, so makes scrambled eggs without milk - which are a bit different, but still delicious.
    Last edited by Smartie; 05-11-2018 at 12:00 AM.

You can make scrambled eggs as fast or slow as you like. The key for me is to kill the heat at the right time, just before you think they're perfectly cooked.

Cream and slow is the weekend special, milk and quick through the week.

Personally all I have is salt and pepper. Perfect.

Room temperature eggs. Whisk as they cook in the pan. When they’re about ready add some cold butter. It melts but stops the eggs cooking further.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Melt butter in the pot until it's just bubbling, then a splash of milk and again bring it to bubbling, crack your eggs in and quickly break the yolks, stir continuously until just before they're ready, remove from heat, stir some more, season, serve on top of generously buttered toast.

Yum.

I whisk my eggs, add salt n pepper than milk, whisk again and put in the pan. Cook in some melted butter, stirring so it doesn't stick, until you you begin to get watery bits, which I think is whey, as in curds and whey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    You can make scrambled eggs as fast or slow as you like. The key for me is to kill the heat at the right time, just before you think they're perfectly cooked.

Cream and slow is the weekend special, milk and quick through the week.

Personally all I have is salt and pepper. Perfect.
    I used to make them painfully slow, probably between 10-15 minutes in the pan. Seen a Gordon Ramsey video where he does them on a higher heat but lifts the pan of the heat for intervals to stop them overcooking. It works just as well in about half the time.

Christmas mincemeat made!!

Here's one for you - Pad Thai. Good recipes available online. Wash it down with some Chang or similar lager. Awesome and about 45 minutes from nothing to on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Here's one for you - Pad Thai. Good recipes available online. Wash it down with some Chang or similar lager. Awesome and about 45 minutes from nothing to on the table.
    One of my favourites. Never tried to make it though. Pad ma ma is another favourite, but again never made it so not sure if it's easy enough to make, or if you need a load of ingredients to clog up the cupboard.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    I used to make them painfully slow, probably between 10-15 minutes in the pan. Seen a Gordon Ramsey video where he does them on a higher heat but lifts the pan of the heat for intervals to stop them overcooking. It works just as well in about half the time.
    I hadn't made scrambled eggs in years, but on Sunday I was trying to make fried eggs and my attempts to crack them in to my frying pan were horrendous and both yolks burst open and it was all looking a mess; I took a fork to them and in under 2 minutes had some scrambled eggs. They weren't going to win any awards, but they tasted fine with some salt, pepper, and chili flakes thrown in.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I hadn't made scrambled eggs in years, but on Sunday I was trying to make fried eggs and my attempts to crack them in to my frying pan were horrendous and both yolks burst open and it was all looking a mess; I took a fork to them and in under 2 minutes had some scrambled eggs. They weren't going to win any awards, but they tasted fine with some salt, pepper, and chili flakes thrown in.
    Break your eggs on a flat surface (i.e.kitchen worktop) on top of a sheet of kitchen roll then break and tip into a cup or bowl. If you do end up with a bit of shell in the mix, a big bit of shell is an easy way to pick it out, it's almost magnetic.

First Team Breakthrough
    If you're making steak and chips for your dinner: don't forget to buy the steaks...........doghouse.

If you're making steak and chips for your dinner: don't forget to buy the steaks...........doghouse.
    haha, not a good start to the week!

going back to people adding things to a chilli. I just stuck an anchovy fillet in one. Got the idea from a serious eats video where the guy stuck a dash of fish sauce in a Bolognese. It turned out pretty well, adding a savoury and saltiness to the chilli, without tasting of fish. The thing disintegrated too while cooking adding to it blending in.

Have a look at Liam Bakes on C4!