hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 363

Thread: Cooking Tips

  1. #331
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Currently trying to shed my winter plumage so out with the pizzas and in with the veg/rice etc. Keen to find out ways of making veg taste better/less bland.

    I prefer roasting and fave veggies are broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, squash, sprouts, carrots. Any tips on how to add flavour to these, in a healthy way, would be awesome!

    add some pulses in e.g. chickpeas, mixed beans etc..some onion, garlic and spices... and a tomato based sauce plus some of the stuff you like - would make a great one pot veggie stew. very simple, healthy and tasty


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #332
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    add some pulses in e.g. chickpeas, mixed beans etc..some onion, garlic and spices... and a tomato based sauce plus some of the stuff you like - would make a great one pot veggie stew. very simple, healthy and tasty
    Better sourced from an Indian or similar shop, much better value for money.
    I live in Cambridge and have lucked out that an Indian family run the local PO and have stocked it with loads of stuff almost like a cash and carry.

  4. #333
    @hibs.net private member Higgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Midlothian
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trouble is a lot of the veggies youíve mentioned pair really well with cheese which sort of defeats your purpose

    Nevertheless, cheeses like Parmesan and Pecorino are not too bad because you donít need to use much and they would go well sprinkled over the broccoli and cauliflower at the end.

    Cauliflower and carrots both go well with Indian flavours so getting some cumin seeds in there, or the like, with some garlic and maybe a few other herbs, will give them a spike.

    If you are cutting the sweet potatoes into wedges then a sprinkle of chilli flakes does the job, or maybe a wee bit smoked paprika.

    Thyme and rosemary are probably the two herbs I would go to most, they tend to be suited to most things, thyme especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    add some pulses in e.g. chickpeas, mixed beans etc..some onion, garlic and spices... and a tomato based sauce plus some of the stuff you like - would make a great one pot veggie stew. very simple, healthy and tasty
    All good shouts there, thanks guys!

    I made some sweet potato wedges the other night with ground paprika, cumin and coriander, were amazing!

  5. #334
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,382
    Watching the new series of Masterchef, much prefer the amateur ones. Hints and things to avoid

  6. #335
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,797
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching the new series of Masterchef, much prefer the amateur ones. Hints and things to avoid
    I much prefer the Australian version of the show.

    Much, much better format and makes the British one look very cheap.

  7. #336
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,392
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching the new series of Masterchef, much prefer the amateur ones. Hints and things to avoid
    Don't know if you've ever seen Masterchef Australia - I think W show it and it is probably available on some sort of on-demand - but it's the best of the bunch IMO. It's insanely cheery, but the judges interact really well with the contestants and it's all very good-natured. The various challenges and rounds are far more varied than the UK (amateur or prof) or the US version. Every few episodes or so, the judges do a demonstration or masterclass for the remaining contestants (two of them are chefs and one is a food critic) and they are a good watch for hints and tips.

    The only stumbling block is that there will often be ingredients we simply don't get over here, and likewise you won't necessarily see ingredients that are commonplace in the UK - plus, like the US, sometimes the same thing has different names.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  8. #337
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I much prefer the Australian version of the show.

    Much, much better format and makes the British one look very cheap.
    Beat me to it - Gary, George and Matt win hands down any time
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  9. #338
    First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port Misery
    Age
    56
    Posts
    242
    Top Aussie cooking show from the makers of Scot Scran:

    Last edited by Curried; 12-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.

  10. #339
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't know if you've ever seen Masterchef Australia - I think W show it and it is probably available on some sort of on-demand - but it's the best of the bunch IMO. It's insanely cheery, but the judges interact really well with the contestants and it's all very good-natured. The various challenges and rounds are far more varied than the UK (amateur or prof) or the US version. Every few episodes or so, the judges do a demonstration or masterclass for the remaining contestants (two of them are chefs and one is a food critic) and they are a good watch for hints and tips.

    The only stumbling block is that there will often be ingredients we simply don't get over here, and likewise you won't necessarily see ingredients that are commonplace in the UK - plus, like the US, sometimes the same thing has different names.
    And ironically two of them are British. The other is a convicted football hooligan.

  11. #340
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,096
    If you are breading something and want something with slightly less calories than an egg as the binding agent but something a bit ďstickierĒ than milk, use a tablespoon of reduced fat creme fraiche slightly watered down. Works perfectly.

  12. #341
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    45
    Posts
    22,751
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Mac n cheese is Tuesday night staple.
    i used to throw in an onion with the pasta when cooking (diced) but junior doesn't like onions.
    Then equal measures of flour and butter to make the roux. Add in some milk (stirring until mixed together, then add next batch of milk) until desired consistency.
    Add grated cheddar (i'm currently using cathedral city, mature). I used to use diced cheese (too lazy to grate) but using grated cheese i end up using less.

    If its just for me, quickly fry up some diced smoked back bacon and mix it in.
    Top off with onion salt and a dodd ketchup. and chips.
    My gran used to top it with cheese and grill until crispy.


    I'm hungry again now.

  13. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mac n cheese is Tuesday night staple.
    i used to throw in an onion with the pasta when cooking (diced) but junior doesn't like onions.
    Then equal measures of flour and butter to make the roux. Add in some milk (stirring until mixed together, then add next batch of milk) until desired consistency.
    Add grated cheddar (i'm currently using cathedral city, mature). I used to use diced cheese (too lazy to grate) but using grated cheese i end up using less.

    If its just for me, quickly fry up some diced smoked back bacon and mix it in.
    Top off with onion salt and a dodd ketchup. and chips.
    My gran used to top it with cheese and grill until crispy.


    I'm hungry again now.

    Try mixing in some Frank's hot sauce next time gives it goes really well. 👍

  14. #343
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,392
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And ironically two of them are British. The other is a convicted football hooligan.
    That's not really accurate

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...enager/9379046
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  15. #344
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah, I didnít realise he won his appeal.

  16. #345
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,392
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah, I didnít realise he won his appeal.


    I understand that it wasn't really hooliganism, the guy was giving him abuse for underpaying his staff (which he was and had to address) but then the guy also allegedly called his mother a word that rhymes with runt.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  17. #346
    The best way to do sprouts is this:

    Trim the fat from some streaky bacon and fry it gently till it dissolves then discard the fat pieces.
    Finely chop the rest of the streaky bacon
    Boil your halved sprouts for 5 minutes
    Finely chop 3 cloves of garlic.
    Fry gently with the bacon in the fat to your preference.
    Add the sprouts and gently coat them with the mixture.
    Job done.

  18. #347
    Does anyone else use Gusto or Hello Fresh? IF so what's your thoughts?

    The girlfriend and I have been using it for the last few weeks to try and broaden our culinary horizons. Appreciate it is quite expensive but i'm really enjoying the recipes we picked.

  19. #348
    @hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Currently trying to shed my winter plumage so out with the pizzas and in with the veg/rice etc. Keen to find out ways of making veg taste better/less bland.

    I prefer roasting and fave veggies are broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, squash, sprouts, carrots. Any tips on how to add flavour to these, in a healthy way, would be awesome!
    When I roast veg I toss them in oil then drain before roasting, but have used, chilli oil, garlic oil or basil oil. Also like stir frying veg and adding tamari at the end of cooking, especially if then serving with rice as it flavours the rice too.
    ​#PERSEVERED


  20. #349
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,187
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone else use Gusto or Hello Fresh? IF so what's your thoughts?

    The girlfriend and I have been using it for the last few weeks to try and broaden our culinary horizons. Appreciate it is quite expensive but i'm really enjoying the recipes we picked.
    Used Hello Fresh for a couple of years, it is very good but as you say it's ridiculously expensive. I cancelled it last week after I was sent 3 meals (for 2 of us) that consisted of a chicken stir fry, risotto and veg stir fry for £34.99. I had just ordered my meat from Muscle Food for £65 that will do me a number of months, Hello Fresh, 3 days.

    Use it for a while build up a wee portfolio of recipe then dump it in my opinion!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  21. #350
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The best way to do sprouts is this:

    Trim the fat from some streaky bacon and fry it gently till it dissolves then discard the fat pieces.
    Finely chop the rest of the streaky bacon
    Boil your halved sprouts for 5 minutes
    Finely chop 3 cloves of garlic.
    Fry gently with the bacon in the fat to your preference.
    Add the sprouts and gently coat them with the mixture.

    launch the whole lot in the bin and choose a veg that's edible
    Job done.
    FTFY

    I'm sorry, I just find Brussel Sprouts ghastly,,,,

  22. #351
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,504
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mac n cheese is Tuesday night staple.
    i used to throw in an onion with the pasta when cooking (diced) but junior doesn't like onions.
    Then equal measures of flour and butter to make the roux. Add in some milk (stirring until mixed together, then add next batch of milk) until desired consistency.
    Add grated cheddar (i'm currently using cathedral city, mature). I used to use diced cheese (too lazy to grate) but using grated cheese i end up using less.

    If its just for me, quickly fry up some diced smoked back bacon and mix it in.
    Top off with onion salt and a dodd ketchup. and chips.
    My gran used to top it with cheese and grill until crispy.


    I'm hungry again now.
    I do it pretty much the same. Dunno what you mean about using less cheese though...what is "less cheese", never heard of or considered that

    I slowly fry off sliced red onion in some butter and stir that through the mac n cheese before sticking it in the oven, with more cheese on top to melt and crisp up. Also serve it topped with some roasted tomatoes.

    I made this on Sunday and brought it for my lunch on Monday/Tuesday. Sooo good.

  23. #352
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    45
    Posts
    22,751
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do it pretty much the same. Dunno what you mean about using less cheese though...what is "less cheese", never heard of or considered that

    I slowly fry off sliced red onion in some butter and stir that through the mac n cheese before sticking it in the oven, with more cheese on top to melt and crisp up. Also serve it topped with some roasted tomatoes.

    I made this on Sunday and brought it for my lunch on Monday/Tuesday. Sooo good.
    OK a couple of issues with this.

    Tomatoes - no. Its just wrong. (nothing wrong with ketchup though)

    and




    leftovers!

  24. #353
    @hibs.net private member Higgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Midlothian
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FTFY

    I'm sorry, I just find Brussel Sprouts ghastly,,,,
    I don't think any vegetable divides opinion as much as the sprout! I personally love them.

  25. #354
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,239
    The Devils balls!

    Yuk!


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  26. #355
    Anyone use a breadmaker? I've been toying with the idea of buying one.
    In recent weeks I've made bread and rolls, edible but unspectacular.
    Does it make much of a difference?

  27. #356
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,949
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone use a breadmaker? I've been toying with the idea of buying one.
    In recent weeks I've made bread and rolls, edible but unspectacular.
    Does it make much of a difference?
    We have one which the wife uses 1-2 times per week.

    It's certainly less time and work if it's something you're looking to do regularly.

  28. #357
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone use a breadmaker? I've been toying with the idea of buying one.
    In recent weeks I've made bread and rolls, edible but unspectacular.
    Does it make much of a difference?
    Someone on the slow cooker thread has been using theirs to make bread. You should check it out and give them a shout for tips. If you don't have one already it would be a good investment, plus you can pick them up for quite cheap.

    Edit: talking Tom Kite. Just checked the other thread, I must have read it somewhere else.
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 14-02-2019 at 07:38 PM.

  29. #358
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    45
    Posts
    22,751
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone on the slow cooker thread has been using theirs to make bread. You should check it out and give them a shout for tips. If you don't have one already it would be a good investment, plus you can pick them up for quite cheap.

    Edit: talking Tom Kite. Just checked the other thread, I must have read it somewhere else.
    ive read that recently too. must be on facebook or twitter.
    certainly wasn't linkedin

  30. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have one which the wife uses 1-2 times per week.

    It's certainly less time and work if it's something you're looking to do regularly.
    Thanks mate

  31. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone on the slow cooker thread has been using theirs to make bread. You should check it out and give them a shout for tips. If you don't have one already it would be a good investment, plus you can pick them up for quite cheap.

    Edit: talking Tom Kite. Just checked the other thread, I must have read it somewhere else.
    It's on this thread 😁😁
    It was Northern Hibee who posted it and I tried it out last Sunday. Really easy to do and it wasn't bad.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved