hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Anyone actually feeling MORE irritated today than they were on Saturday?

For me the length of the 'recovery' period after a Hibs defeat can vary, but normally after a couple of days I'm ready to move on.

However, Saturday's disbelief/anger etc has now given way to lingering frustration at just how big an chance we blew. There was a lot of talk about St Johnstone's record against us this season and while (as I've suggested on another thread) you could argue they were simply better than us, what I think is so hard to get past is the nature of the Hibs performance. They HAD to show more than that against a team which finished 18 points behind them in the league. In cup competitions the cards only fall that way very, very rarely and for some of the players they may never again have such a gilt-edged chance to win a major trophy. I do wonder if they grasp the enormity of the opportunity they threw away. Maddening.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I wouldn’t say I’m more irritated, but I’m still as angry as I was on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me the length of the 'recovery' period after a Hibs defeat can vary, but normally after a couple of days I'm ready to move on.

However, Saturday's disbelief/anger etc has now given way to lingering frustration at just how big an chance we blew. There was a lot of talk about St Johnstone's record against us this season and while (as I've suggested on another thread) you could argue they were simply better than us, what I think is so hard to get past is the nature of the Hibs performance. They HAD to show more than that against a team which finished 18 points behind them in the league. In cup competitions the cards only fall that way very, very rarely and for some of the players they may never again have such a gilt-edged chance to win a major trophy. I do wonder if they grasp the enormity of the opportunity they threw away. Maddening.
    To be honest I've supported Hibs long enough for frustrating events like this to be possible.

Pissed off but I'd have been much worse if we'd the prospect of a history making humiliation like being knocked out early on by non league Brora to live with for decades to come.

Many Hibbies will think this way.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

Aye I’m feeling less angry that we got beat but more angry about the players, the way they played and their reaction to the defeat

Looked like they couldn’t be arsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    To be honest I've supported Hibs long enough for frustrating events like this to be possible.

Pissed off but I'd have been much worse if we'd the prospect of a history making humiliation like being knocked out early on by non league Brora to live with for decades to come.

Thing is though, hearts fans have more or less forgotten about the fact they were put out by Brora because we were beat in the final, or “hibsd it” as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Thing is though, hearts fans have more or less forgotten about the fact they were put out by Brora because we were beat in the final, or “hibsd it” as they say.
    Let's not compare the two as if what we did was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Let's not compare the two as if what we did was worse.
    I’m not comparing the two, the poster said they need to live with the fact Brora put them out for decades to come when in reality the majority of them have already forgotten about it because they watched us get beat in the final.

That game would have been murder to watch as a neutral....no excitement, one goal and a penalty save the highlights. So many back passes and very little passion. St J didn't need to defend that well, I just don't understand it? Any statements from the club? Someone needs to explain what the plan was on Saturday cos I didn't see any.....were we trying to bore them into submission?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I was over it about 10 mins after the final whistle.

What I want to know is why did St Johnstone have a man around every single second ball, why did their players look fitter and stronger and why the **** did Boyle *****bag out of a challenge that if he'd been a bit harder than, say, my 2 year old daughter, would have seen us break away with the ball instead of concede a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I’m not comparing the two, the poster said they need to live with the fact Brora put them out for decades to come when in reality the majority of them have already forgotten about it because they watched us get beat in the final.
    Good point but there's a world of difference between pretending something didn't happen for whatever reason and it actually existing in fact.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Now that it’s actually sunk in a bit, I think I’m even more shocked by the way we played. There has to be something behind it. It wasn’t just a case of not playing well. There was just a total lack of desire.

What frustrates me is I'm not sure JR or the players realise the the magnitude of the opportunity they so meekly passed up,a truly horrific performance

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Now that it’s actually sunk in a bit, I think I’m even more shocked by the way we played. There has to be something behind it. It wasn’t just a case of not playing well. There was just a total lack of desire.
    I really don't think that's it. The game was practically a carbon copy of the previous St Johnstone games.

They stifled our front 3 and our midfield weren't good enough to do anything in front of them. Lots of safe passing, keeping the ball, but with Saints camped in, that kind of play just wasn't going to cut it.

I think Jack Ross has tried to play their game, keep it tight, stay solid, hope for a break. They're just much better at it than us. The frustration for me is that it panned out pretty much exactly like I thought it would.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Same here mate - absolutely raging. Can’t believe we played into the game plan we knew they would have and the lack of desire shown by the players.

Reading this board isn’t helping either

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Same here mate - absolutely raging. Can’t believe we played into the game plan we knew they would have and the lack of desire shown by the players.

Reading this board isn’t helping either
    There’s been a few things mentioned on various threads around something “bigger” at play from the weekend, something similar to the bonus row in 2012. Ive seen things like naming the team early being blamed, resting players last weekend being spoken about.

What about the decision to share the ‘bonus pot’ around the wider staff group? Who agreed to that? Maybe some of the players weren’t too happy with it. That maybe explains (but not excuse) the lack of application from some.

I don’t know if any of this would be a cause but there’s definitely a feeling of something not quite being right for me. The way Nisbet came out before the game for example, the lack of desire another

I'm still absolutely furious to be honest. The players and management team let the club down on Saturday and it's going to take a while for the feelings of anger and disappointment to leave me.

It was one of the most gutless performances I've ever seen in a cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post

Don't care about the other lot. We blew a massive chance to win the Scottish Cup against a very average team. Yes there were mistakes at the goal but we managed only 2 shots on target in 95 minutes. I was despondent on Saturday but now it's giving way anger about the WAY (flat, one paced) we played.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm still absolutely furious to be honest. The players and management team let the club down on Saturday and it's going to take a while for the feelings of anger and disappointment to leave me.

100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Don't care about the other lot. We blew a massive chance to win the Scottish Cup against a very average team. Yes there were mistakes at the goal but we managed only 2 shots on target in 95 minutes. I was despondent on Saturday but now it's giving way anger about the WAY (flat, one paced) we played.
    Agree with you there, I'm just giving some context to my view. We were outplayed outfought and out thought by a very decent side. One we should have been capable of at least matching.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

yeah. It was horrible.

I like JR, I think he’s a good manager and the right one for us. But I’m still scratching my head at the ‘pride’ he spoke of after the game.

we lost a Scottish cup final to St Johnstone with an absolute whimper and that was shameful.

It's strange. I'm a bit of a happy Clapper I guess and like to take the bigger picture view, but I'm furious about this. I hate the way we play and I hate the fact we did nothing to win a cup final. No kitchen sink job at the end. No nothing.

A Celtic team utterly imploding, an aberdeen side on the decline and no hearts puts a false shine on only a half decent season for me. Hopefully we progress further and there is a plan, but I refuse to airbrush Saturdays performance out the season. I know I'm in the minority but I would still prefer to finish a place or two lower and play passionate, entertaining football than turn into McInnes Aberdeen. Consistent but unspectacular against smaller teams, but fail with a whimper in every big game.
    Only my view.

My thinking mirrors this. How often does the chance come up to play a cup final against a non-OF team lower than us in the league?

Don't get me wrong, Saints are a good team, their record this year proves that and I was expecting a tight game. It's more the fact the tactics clearly haven't worked against them this year but the same tactics were employed with the same end result.

I'd accept defeat a bit more if we had a proper go. We had one chance the whole game. After Saints scored they never looked like getting back into it. Even the penalty save didn't galvanise them. Players never seemed to believe they could get back into it and never turned up, that's the most disappointing part.

I'm still gutted, but not losing sight of the fact we were third in the league, got to a cup final and survived a pandemic.

My anger does sit on the players for the lack of application, urgency and desire to win every ball, 90 minutes of your life as a player, can they all sit and say "We gave everything in our body and mind today to win that game", that's where my frustration lies as the answer is NO.

I'm not agreeing with the 'Jack Ross out' and 'mass clear out' threads, we've done so well to have a successful season, we're chapping on the door and can build on that for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    yeah. It was horrible.

I like JR, I think he’s a good manager and the right one for us. But I’m still scratching my head at the ‘pride’ he spoke of after the game.

we lost a Scottish cup final to St Johnstone with an absolute whimper and that was shameful.
    I agree. I don't believe he should be sacked either but his post-match comments were baffling to say the least and do not reflect reality.

I can only hope that his comments to the players in the dressing room were a bit stronger than the ones he made in public. If not then I'd be concerned by that.

It's performances like that which put managers' jobs on the line.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    What frustrates me is I'm not sure JR or the players realise the the magnitude of the opportunity they so meekly passed up,a truly horrific performance
    I went into this game with a reasonable amount of confidence, based on us having a game plan from lessons learnt from the previous encounters and that we were actually the better team. The cup was coming back to ER.
    Within 10min that confidence had drained away. At the end of the game I was of course angry, but mainly I was perplexed. I just could not figure out how a team, that I had watched put in some really good performances could save their worst of the season for the most important game of the season.
    And here I am today with just the same feelings, which were magnified by the JR interview.
    It was a truly horrific performance indeed.
    There are so many negative adjectives I could use to describe how I feel that I just need to shut up about this for the sake of my sanity.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    It feels worse now because I'm reflecting on the fact that this wasn't just a bad day at the office. It was a conscious repeat of previous bad days at the office.

If I'm being really generous I'd say he had little choice in tactics with a limited squad. If I'm being brutal I'd say he lacks the tactical nous to switch things up from game to game and within games when the opposition require a different approach. Either way there is no positive whatsoever to take from that performance. None.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I really don't think that's it. The game was practically a carbon copy of the previous St Johnstone games.

They stifled our front 3 and our midfield weren't good enough to do anything in front of them. Lots of safe passing, keeping the ball, but with Saints camped in, that kind of play just wasn't going to cut it.

I think Jack Ross has tried to play their game, keep it tight, stay solid, hope for a break. They're just much better at it than us. The frustration for me is that it panned out pretty much exactly like I thought it would.
    I don’t think it was.

We battered them in the semi final before they scored.

This performance was far worse than I think any I’ve seen this season. We didn’t do a single thing in the game which is very unusual.

I'm more hacked off now.

TBh I was a wee bit ambivalent about it on Saturday. I didn't go out of my way to go out and watch it, ending up watching it in the house, mainly because I had a hunch that it was going to go the way it ultimately went.

That fact irritates me more as time goes by though.

The performance was demoralising such was the ineptitude on display it has really dented my confidence in a lot of the players and the manager.
    Mickey Weir more or less sums it up in his column in the EN, I would certainly be less optimistic about the coming seasons ahead and I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong.

I was confident. We absolutely battered St Johnstone in the semi before they hit us with a sucker punch. Saturday we were just pish. I can only think of Jackson Irvine's chance in the whole game. Im still angry and can't believe we were so passive in a cup final.