hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats not corruption. Its knowing and exploiting the rules. Doesnt make it right, but its not corruption.
    Yes it is. If he’s gone out and went about getting booked then fine that’s on him. He’s now asked a ref to go and book him. That’s cheating!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    It is, but it's so easy to get booked deliberately by dissent or kicking the ball away that I'm amazed that the conversation even took place.

Referee could probably have booked him for ungentlemanly conduct just for asking!
    Totally agree Stevie, another ref could have even shown him a red for asking him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Yes it is. If he’s gone out and went about getting booked then fine that’s on him. He’s now asked a ref to go and book him. That’s cheating!
    Sorry, its not corruption. Its a valid booking. Yes the player and ref dont come out of this looking very clever. But technically its the right decision.
    Corruption would be the ref booking him for no reason because he wanted him to miss a crucial game or be available for a crucial game.

Sorry, its not corruption. Its a valid booking. Yes the player and ref dont come out of this looking very clever. But technically its the right decision.
    Corruption would be the ref booking him for no reason because he wanted him to miss a crucial game or be available for a crucial game.
    No it’s premeditated which is wrong. The booking of course is correct but the fact they both planned it and agreed on it is cheating. Therefore it’s corruption. No way should a ref even consider helping a player out he should keep out of anything like that. In fact an honest ref would have told him to bolt or reported the player.

No it’s premeditated which is wrong. The booking of course is correct but the fact they both planned it and agreed on it is cheating. Therefore it’s corruption. No way should a ref even consider helping a player out he should keep out of anything like that. In fact an honest ref would have told him to bolt or reported the player.
    I agree its wrong but its nor corruption. If the player said I will give you £500 quid if you book me and the ref did and player paid up that would be corruption.

I agree its wrong but its nor corruption. If the player said I will give you £500 quid if you book me and the ref did and player paid up that would be corruption.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if he did chuck the ref a few bob after it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he did chuck the ref a few bob after it.
    and if he did ,then its corruption. But we dont know that.

The ref though should be struck off (although I assume retired) but also showing such poor conduct could have an effect on future employment as his integrity is called into serious question

the player is a twat for asking, he could have got himself booked without needing to ask about it. Presumably it was Rudi Skacel.

and if he did ,then its corruption. But we dont know that.

The ref though should be struck off (although I assume retired) but also showing such poor conduct could have an effect on future employment as his integrity is called into serious question

the player is a twat for asking, he could have got himself booked without needing to ask about it. Presumably it was Rudi Skacel.
    That’s what I don’t get, it’s very easy to get booked no idea why he would even ask the ref. I think he is retired now. Ian Black or Rudi Skacel wouldn’t shock me at all!!

That’s what I don’t get, it’s very easy to get booked no idea why he would even ask the ref. I think he is retired now. Ian Black or Rudi Skacel wouldn’t shock me at all!!
    It shows a complete lack of integrity on behalf of both player and referee and also shows at least the player to be very naive and immature.

You would expect better from a referee, but for some players you can kind of understand if they come from a 'deprived' background, leave school early and find themselves earning obscene money.

Anyone who thinks some refs aren't corrupt are deluded.

Left by mutual consent!
    Corruption is how most sports are generally run now!

Qatar got the world cup with alot of brown envelopes.

However....what is classed as corruption in sport?

England in a sense bribed Thailand for the 2022 vote.

Thailand did NOT vote England.....So England never went through with the game in Bangkok!

What scale is bribery acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    I have no doubt some refs are corrupt. I would be interested in evidence though.

IMO I would be surprised if refs I have seen are corrupt, but I wouldnt rule it out. Yes they make poor decisions. However we cant just say they are all corrupt just because we have seen a few poor decisions.

These guys have to make split second decisions that fans cant agree on even with multi angle slow motion replays.

There is more likely to be some unconscious, or even conscious, bias. But is that corruption ?

Corruption is a form of dishonesty undertaken by a person entrusted with a position of authority, often to acquire personal benefit.

There was no dishonesty in the example quoted and there is as yet no evidence of acquiring personal benefit.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don’t think refs are corrupt. I think there’s a natural tendency to stop and think about the consequences and some times after thinking of them they may stop and think twice before making a big decision.

I still don’t think this example was one of corruption either, if it was what did the ref get out of it? Surely for it to be corrupt the ref would have to benefit from making an alternative decision without undue incentive?

Seems a fairly normal conversation to me.....”book me ref”......”can’t book you for nothing pal, you’ll need to boot the ball awaynor something”.....,”good idea”

Maybe a bit naive by the ref but don’t see the problem, would rather a player got deliberately boooed for booting a ball away than risking hurting someone with a dodgy foul.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    If you backed Hibs to take centre and for the ball to be punted out the park most weeks you’d make a fortune on that as well. 🤔

Thats how Matt Le Tissier lost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I don’t think refs are corrupt. I think there’s a natural tendency to stop and think about the consequences and some times after thinking of them they may stop and think twice before making a big decision.

I still don’t think this example was one of corruption either, if it was what did the ref get out of it? Surely for it to be corrupt the ref would have to benefit from making an alternative decision without undue incentive?

Seems a fairly normal conversation to me.....”book me ref”......”can’t book you for nothing pal, you’ll need to boot the ball awaynor something”.....,”good idea”

Maybe a bit naive by the ref but don’t see the problem, would rather a player got deliberately boooed for booting a ball away than risking hurting someone with a dodgy foul.
    I agree but the ref should put it in his match report and the player should get a two game ban - simples

Been involved in many a bust up with Refs. I was once sent from the dugout by a ref I had history with. I asked why and was told just to go. Afterwards they made up some story between them that got me a six game ban. Some of them are corrupt at EVERY LEVEL.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Been involved in many a bust up with Refs. I was once sent from the dugout by a ref I had history with. I asked why and was told just to go. Afterwards they made up some story between them that got me a six game ban. Some of them are corrupt at EVERY LEVEL.
    Maybe you should have more respect for refs then.

Having many a dust up with refs says to me you’re too quick to challenge them. They’re not professionals, they don’t have TV replays, just a bunch of amateurs giving up their time so games of football can go ahead.

That’s not corruption, sounds like they just thought you were a dick.

No offence

Only happens with foreign refs. Scottish refs are all honest as the day is long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The player should have just booted the ball away or pulled a player back on the attack. He shouldn’t be asking the ref for help and the ref shouldn’t even consider it.
    Bringing the game into disrepute by deliberately getting booked. He should have received a lengthy ban. The ref should have reported the player's comments to the Disciplinary Board. He himself is guilty by compliance, IMO.

My "ambition" as a school player was always to get booked but I wasn't good enough to manage it..😂

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Players like Bobby Thomson and his ilk didn’t need to liaise with referees to ensure a booking or two. To claim corruption is just a wee bit over the top for me.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    If you backed Hibs to take centre and for the ball to be punted out the park most weeks you’d make a fortune on that as well. 🤔
    Did the players have a punt.

Left by mutual consent!
    I just do not understand why he even needed to ask ref, there are loads of things you can get booked for and dissent is pretty easy and simple to do without asking ref.

@hibs.net private member

Taking the bold part separately, a little voice keeps saying to me "What if the ref is making this up or embellishing what really happened to stoke up a bit of controversy and get him on a few more telly shows? Or maybe he has an upcoming book to promote" .
    Just call me Mr Cynical.

Maybe you should have more respect for refs then.

Having many a dust up with refs says to me you’re too quick to challenge them. They’re not professionals, they don’t have TV replays, just a bunch of amateurs giving up their time so games of football can go ahead.

That’s not corruption, sounds like they just thought you were a dick.

No offence

I would always challenge them on big calls when I felt my team were getting a **** decision. Problem is they don't like explaining and justifying them. How long does it take to explain a massive call in a game? 5-10 seconds? Nah, some of them think it's all about them. Arrogant twats. Some of them are fantastic. Got on great with those ones. The ones who took the time out to explain decisions, not just to me but the players as well. So yeah I'll stick by my assessment of officials and say the arrogant ones who thought I was a dick, the feeling was mutual.