hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Cathro

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who knows

Let's see 4-6s new abundant signings for the coming season, none of which have had me saying " he's a good signing " even the Yams I know are a bit sceptical of all that's been added. By Christ it's like a throwback to Vlads time, they must have the biggest squad in the SPL, hope there's plenty of pre match chips ready

Anyway, I have no fears from them next season
    It reminds me so much of what we were like under calderwood & fenlon. Signing players just for the sake of it

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Speak for yourself. I loved every minute.

But does anybody actually know if he was a good coach in Portugal? I've never heard of Rio Ave.
    Portugal is basically dominated by the big three - Sporting, Benfica and Porto. The other teams tend to fluctuate in success, behind the top three.

Cathro worked with the guy he's rejoined at Wolves. They reached both cup finals and qualified for Europe while he was there and I think they then both left for Valencia.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Cathro was with Espirito Santo at both Rio Ave and Valencia. He knows him well and knows what he can bring as a coach (not a manager). Espirito Santo is a great manager and has done wonders at Wolves, so his belief in Cathro is odd, I guess when English isn't your language, he is easier to understand !!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Still a good coach... should get on better at a team that will have players that can pass a ball.
    Good point and has worked with the manager before. Hope he does well. Probably not suited to be the front man but seems to be a very good coach. At least he had the bottle to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Was that because Levein forced the players on him?

I would LOVE it it Cathro did brilliantly at Wolves. 😁
    Agree and think Rodgers made the same point that Cathro had a passing coaching style but the players bought didnt fit with that, Stockton being an example.

But does anybody actually know if he was a good coach in Portugal? I've never heard of Rio Ave.
    Also worked with the same manager at Valencia on the back of how they did in Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Who? And why?
    Kris Boyd amongst others. Generally the footballing establishment in this country that thinks to "ken anything aboot fitba" you need to have played hundreds of games for the likes of Airdrie, followed the Old Firm and done courses at Largs.

He's an unconventional figure, and a very young man who was offered a position at Hearts that he couldn't sensibly turn down long before he was anything like ready for it.

Clearly he has something as a coach to have got jobs at Newcastle, Valencia and now Wolves.

He was a slaver, but an inoffensive, naive and fairly innocent one so I can't find it in me to want to him to fail.

Totally the opposite, because to thrive I think Scotland needs to embrace new ideas, new people, new ways of doing thing instead of hounding them, ridiculing them and putting them in positions where they are destined to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Not sure about this " good coach " stuff

Hertz played some bloody awful footy under him
    He was manager at Hearts and they played some awful stuff.

Coach is a different role, one he has a track record of being (apparently) good at.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Kris Boyd amongst others. Generally the footballing establishment in this country that thinks to "ken anything aboot fitba" you need to have played hundreds of games for the likes of Airdrie, followed the Old Firm and done courses at Largs.

He's an unconventional figure, and a very young man who was offered a position at Hearts that he couldn't sensibly turn down long before he was anything like ready for it.

Clearly he has something as a coach to have got jobs at Newcastle, Valencia and now Wolves.

He was a slaver, but an inoffensive, naive and fairly innocent one so I can't find it in me to want to him to fail.

Totally the opposite, because to thrive I think Scotland needs to embrace new ideas, new people, new ways of doing thing instead of hounding them, ridiculing them and putting them in positions where they are destined to fail.

Kris Boyd said he wouldn’t be very good, and he wasn’t. It’s uncomfortable to be on the same side of an argument as him, but he was right.

I agree that Scottish football can be insular, but it wasn’t Cathro’s ideas that were the problem. It was his stubbornness, lack of leadership skills and absence of self-awareness.

I read his interview a few months ago and it sounded like he had learned nothing at all from his time at Hearts.

Self belief is sometimes admirable. But sometimes it just means an insufferable bellend.

Cathro must be good coach. Had big gigs and now back epl. Doubt can manage again but recon brought in for player agent contacts at hmfc. Levein then hung him out to keep his salary.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Rio Ave?

It’s right next to De Janeiro Crescent.

🤪