hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Hibs Ladies

@hibs.net private member

Hibs Ladies

Reading on the BBC Website that Arnott and Smith who are 2 of the Hibs Ladies best players have left. Seems an odd time as they have just started the 5 week summer break. Both with the International Team at present. Any info on why they have suddenly gone?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough wfortune's Avatar
    Offered professional contracts down south

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Seems a strange way of announcing it. Would have been good PR and to build the profile of the team to say they have been signed by whoever from the English professional leagues.

Willie Kirk has just taken the asst role at the new Man Utd Womens Team...id expect both players to head down there, he will also come back for more.

Scottish Womens Football wont go Pro in Scotland as none of the Mens clubs will fund it in the way they do down south and in other countries

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Willie Kirk has just taken the asst role at the new Man Utd Womens Team...id expect both players to head down there, he will also come back for more.

Scottish Womens Football wont go Pro in Scotland as none of the Mens clubs will fund it in the way they do down south and in other countries
    Willie done a great job at the academy in the past, good to see him doing well for himself. Glad to see the two girls mentioned are getting a shot at the pro game. Both fantastic players imo.👍🏻
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Give us a slice of Sky’s mega deal that they get, then maybe someone will look at it

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Will weaken the team unfortunately but good luck to them.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    Will weaken the team unfortunately but good luck to them.
    GG
    Hopefully Willie Kirk also takes a couple of players from Glasgow City as well

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Give us a slice of Sky’s mega deal that they get, then maybe someone will look at it
    I had to laugh when this womans football Hibs team started. I raised a few questions that Underscore and others said were wrong, mainly i did not want any of my season ticket money to go towards any womans football team.

I was told we didnt fund them, other than give them some strips and let them use the training ground occasionally and the pitch.

I could put up with this, but spending money on contracts is not on in my opinion.

I was told that the benefits we'd gain from having a Hibs womans team could be huge, i'd love to know what these are, i have seen a few of their games on tv, with one man and a dog there, why is that?

I knew when this started they'd want more and more, its not on, they need to be self sufficient, as none of them will ever progress to the team i support on that pitch.

Now it appears we are being cherry picked for their better players, i think this is good, and shows us just where we are in the pecking order, of a sport nobody watches in Scotland, and very very few care about.

Crowds are up at Hibs because we won that cup, and we have a team on the park who are entertaining us again, and making the match day a great day out.

This has nothing at all to do with anything the womans team have achieved, i have nothing against any woman playing the game, even under the Hibs umbrella, in fact i'd encourage any woman who want to play the game to dod so.

Although if they are to play for Hibs, then they need to raise all their funds the same way the mens team do.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Hibs Ladies have been an absolute credit to the club and play some fantastic football. I too used to be quite sceptical about Womens football, but then that was the 1990's and I was a young man. We see far more women attending Hibs games these days and I think it's brilliant that they have, such amazing players in the Hibs ladies team to aspire to and act as role models. I really enjoy watching the highlights on Hibs TV.

It's a shame to see two of our best players leaving, but the very best of luck to them in their professional careers and thank you for doing such a fantastic job and bringing silverware and glory to the Hibernian family. HIBERNIAN LADIES

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I had to laugh when this womans football Hibs team started. I raised a few questions that Underscore and others said were wrong, mainly i did not want any of my season ticket money to go towards any womans football team.

I was told we didnt fund them, other than give them some strips and let them use the training ground occasionally and the pitch.

I could put up with this, but spending money on contracts is not on in my opinion.

I was told that the benefits we'd gain from having a Hibs womans team could be huge, i'd love to know what these are, i have seen a few of their games on tv, with one man and a dog there, why is that?

I knew when this started they'd want more and more, its not on, they need to be self sufficient, as none of them will ever progress to the team i support on that pitch.

Now it appears we are being cherry picked for their better players, i think this is good, and shows us just where we are in the pecking order, of a sport nobody watches in Scotland, and very very few care about.

Crowds are up at Hibs because we won that cup, and we have a team on the park who are entertaining us again, and making the match day a great day out.

This has nothing at all to do with anything the womans team have achieved, i have nothing against any woman playing the game, even under the Hibs umbrella, in fact i'd encourage any woman who want to play the game to dod so.

Although if they are to play for Hibs, then they need to raise all their funds the same way the mens team do.
    "very few care about" only 3% of the population watch mens football.... so very few care about that too.

Dont worry nobody is going to waste any of your ST money on the womens team BH. What there could be is an option for ST holders to pay a little more every year that would go towards improving the womens game in scotland. That way like minded individuals could pull together to increase the success of the HIBS FAMILY. But it would be a check box that you could ignore BH.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Hibs Ladies have been an absolute credit to the club and play some fantastic football. I too used to be quite sceptical about Womens football, but then that was the 1990's and I was a young man. We see far more women attending Hibs games these days and I think it's brilliant that they have, such amazing players in the Hibs ladies team to aspire to and act as role models. I really enjoy watching the highlights on Hibs TV.

It's a shame to see two of our best players leaving, but the very best of luck to them in their professional careers and thank you for doing such a fantastic job and bringing silverware and glory to the Hibernian family. HIBERNIAN LADIES
    What he said.
    Gaun' the Ladies, you'll eventually drag the Neanderthals into the 21 century.
    Admittedly, it's likely to be the 22nd by the time you do......
    GG

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    "very few care about" only 3% of the population watch mens football.... so very few care about that too.

Dont worry nobody is going to waste any of your ST money on the womens team BH. What there could be is an option for ST holders to pay a little more every year that would go towards improving the womens game in scotland. That way like minded individuals could pull together to increase the success of the HIBS FAMILY. But it would be a check box that you could ignore BH.
    I wont be ticking any box, and after this has come in, what will be next?

Hibs woman can play football every day of the week and twice on a Sunday if they like, but let them build their own ground and play there raising their own funds like the men do.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I wont be ticking any box, and after this has come in, what will be next?

Hibs woman can play football every day of the week and twice on a Sunday if they like, but let them build their own ground and play there raising their own funds like the men do.
    Personally I would be happy to tick the box. This Ladies team have done great credit to Hibernian Football Club with their fantastic results and they should be financially supported as part of the "Hibs Family" as mentioned above. Looking at the ladies achievements takes you back in time when the mens team were to breed the Celtic. GGTTH

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    It's not easy on the eye.

Coaching Staff
    I’m an Auld Fart, and went to school when the boys went off to fitba practice, and the girls to Hom3 Science classes.

Women make up circa 50 per cent of the population, and in Oz at least, a marketing survey that was carried out for a club I was involved in showed that as far as families go, it was the wife who made the decisions as to where they would go at the weekend in the vast majority of cases....getting the female population to ‘buy into’ the Hibs, can surely only be positive.

Apart from anything else, fitba is a good game for young girls to play, for fun and fitness, and I’m glad that they can aspire to play for the club that possibly a long line of family members may have supported.

I can understand those that have concerns about money being ‘siphoned off’ from the men’s team, but given current expenditure, don’t think it’s a significant factor

Increased sponsorship for the women’s team could be the simple answer, but it appears that the club are not that concerned about it, as I know of three enquirers to add to the women’s sponsorship kitty from this end of the globe that have went unanswered.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    now the keeper hannah reid is off to Durham https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor can't be many players left

Hibs have done really well to develop the ladies team, to identify talent and to develop it.

The economics are such that the English teams will be able to pay more now they are taking an interest and the really big money is in the US where our own Kim Little ended up for a while.

Hibs have a reputation for developing talent generally and hopefully we can still act as a conveyor belt to get Scottish women into the game and playing at the highest level possible.

I’m very proud of Hibs for taking a progressive leading approach in promoting the women’s game. That is Hibs class!!

(BTW Did you know that the first ever organised game of women’s football took place at Easter Road in 1881 organised by Scottish suffragist, Helen Graham Matthews!!)

Now, how are Hearts ladies team doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Hibs have done really well to develop the ladies team, to identify talent and to develop it.

The economics are such that the English teams will be able to pay more now they are taking an interest and the really big money is in the US where our own Kim Little ended up for a while.

Hibs have a reputation for developing talent generally and hopefully we can still act as a conveyor belt to get Scottish women into the game and playing at the highest level possible.

I’m very proud of Hibs for taking a progressive leading approach in promoting the women’s game. That is Hibs class!!

(BTW Did you know that the first ever organised game of women’s football took place at Easter Road in 1881 organised by Scottish suffragist, Helen Graham Matthews!!)

Now, how are Hearts ladies team doing?

yes i did/do actually but anyway, this is possibly the ladies best chance of finally winning the league(since 2006/07) instead of being the bridesmaid in four of the last five seasons, it would be great to stop Glasgow City getting a 12th title on the trot
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 12-08-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Unlike BH I do not mind some of my season ticket money going on a Ladies team because

1) They are part of the Hibernian family.

2) Raises the club profile to a new audience drawn from 50% of the population with income potential if handled correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    yes i did/do actually but anyway, this is possibly the ladies best chance of finally winning the league(since 2006/07) instead of being the bridesmaid in four of the last five seasons, it would be great to stop Glasgow City getting a 12th title on the trot
    Just thinking that, given there is a move to increasing the number of monuments to women’s achievements these days, shouldn’t there be some kind of memorial to the first game and HGM at Easter Road?

It’s a thought. Might help inspire more young girls on the eastern side of the capital to take up the game - and turn up at the Holy Ground to see a game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Just thinking that, given there is a move to increasing the number of monuments to women’s achievements these days, shouldn’t there be some kind of memorial to the first game and HGM at Easter Road?

It’s a thought. Might help inspire more young girls on the eastern side of the capital to take up the game - and turn up at the Holy Ground to see a game or two.

why not just sometimes our club can be a little low-key, whereas if this event had taken place at say tynecastle the budge would be shouting this from the new school-view stand rooftop

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    why not just sometimes our club can be a little low-key, whereas if this event had taken place at say tynecastle the budge would be shouting this from the new school-view stand rooftop
    Who should put this idea? Would fans reps see the merit?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Does the ladies team get any compensation when these players leave? I doubt there will be a transfer fee, but is there a payment to cover the fact that hibs ladies develops these girls.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Does the ladies team get any compensation when these players leave? I doubt there will be a transfer fee, but is there a payment to cover the fact that hibs ladies develops these girls.
    It’s a good point.

I see Lizzy Arnot scored the winner for man United against Liverpool yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    No - they arent under contract at Hibs. So the club get nothing. Unless we put the women on contracts we will continue to make nothing from them when they leave.